Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Gaming - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #271 of 276 Old 01-10-2015, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I'd like to give the samsung thing a try but I don't want to spend $200 to get it. I hear there's no software worth the time yet anyway.

Content is the biggest hurdle for VR. It's going to be like any other game peripheral that doesn't have any content, it's going to die. Won't matter how great a tech it is, if they can't get us any worthwhile content.
There is going to be a lot of content for it. There already is. How good is another story. Most of it early on will be ports of older PC and console games. Some of them will be enhanced for VR. Others will be make overs for VR. A lot of it could be licensed to Oculus Rift to actually mod. They have a pretty deep bench in that department. Hence the very close alliances between OR and the devs like Valve, Origen and others. I actually believe that is why they are going slow on the consumer launch. To come out of the gates smoking, with a Full Half Life package...Bioshock...Mass Effect and others. Either air brushed/enhanced for VR...or modified under license. That way the stage one devs can focus on new IP. While licensing OR to mod it for PC/VR. Just my take on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 276 Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Take a look at this posted over in the Ultra HT section on Display Devices:
Oculus Bird Eye view experience-Literally
post #273 of 276 Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To quote Vin Diesel in Chronicles of Riddick..."Kiera? GET THAT ASS MOVING! The boys from Oculus Rift better heed a similar warning. And I mean fast. Or they will miss their flight. I'm talking 2015. Not 2016 or 2017. They better have a stage 1 product ready to release even in limited markets by this Holiday. Or competitors can blow by them like they're stuck in cement. The early bird like Valve or another can quickly seize the market & take the worm. Or totally screw it up before Oculus has a chance to react. IMO they are being way too careful. In fact...they are starting to look a bit scared and unfocused. They better have a release date at E3 2015. Or they could become irrelevant fast.

Edit on 3/15/2015:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...I?ocid=U218DHP
Whether OLED, Laser projection/scanning/or implants, 4k-32k+, or some kind of other exotic display tech. It all seems aimed at one destination. A Virtual Reality future. Some eschew this technology even as its primitive iterations sit at our soon to be released doorsteps. To be unleashed upon the public in formats designed to both awe, please and addict. I suspect that once the first wave of VR headsets hit the market (estimated in late 2015), AVS will need to establish a forum for it as a standalone topic. Just to cover the myriad of topics, possibilities and issues relevant to it. The link above is just a small peek into that window. Exhilirating for some. Terrifying for many others. Nonetheless...The Matrix is soon upon us all.

http://www.twitch.tv/oculus/v/3862049

Last edited by barrelbelly; 03-27-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: included comment posted in the Flat Panel OLED Display Tech Area of AVS
post #274 of 276 Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not exactly an official announcement. But it appears, late this year (Oct-Nov) may be the release date for the consumer model. And I don't think HL3 is very far behind it or the Valve headset.
http://www.crossmap.com/news/oculus-...nefiting-17719
post #275 of 276 Old 04-20-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
OR may be working on a killer app, but I'll bet their army of lawyers are wondering more about the upcoming "Carpal Neck Tunnel" syndrome lawsuits (henceforth referred to as The Occulus Stiffs)......
"Have you been injured using a Virtual Reality Headset? Scheister and Malarkey are here to represent you!"
barrelbelly likes this.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #276 of 276 Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's finally official.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29189...r-headset.html
Holiday 2015 and 2016 could be off the charts explosive in the gaming world. Because everyone will be talking about the VR launches. Especially if Sony joins the fray with Morpheus.
post #277 of 276 Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just picked up an Oculus DK2 last week. The experience has been fairly good and I'm glad that I pulled the trigger. From order to delivery was less than a week, even with customs (I'm in Canada). The unit itself is well made and the VR experience is everything I expected. Some games are absolutely stunning (Elite: Dangerous is a good example) and others aren't great (Skyrim for example). The "screen-door" effect is noticeable and it does cause distant objects to blur and text to be hard to read.

Elite: Dangerous is incredible with the Oculus. The VR experience with this game makes me excited for what's we can expect once more companies start building in native VR support. It truly feels like you're in a spaceship. With optimized hardware and settings you can completely forget that you're sitting in a chair in your office. For me this game alone is enough to justify the price of admission.
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page