AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Surrogates - that was Happy movie wasn't it? rolleyes.gif

?????...Don't quite know what you mean with that comment. But if it suggests that I am a Oculus Rift surrogate...I think many other commenters on this thread and the old Xbox Next Gen thread can attest otherwise. BTW , if Oculus Rift somehow indirectly sees me and a few other early stage fans and diehards over here as surrogates...please at least send us all a free DEV kit 2 when they arrive this summer. And we'll shout to the rafters! biggrin.gif

Edit
I actually se it was in response to a comment above (cthanatos). cool.gif So...never mind...as old Emily Latella (Lilly Tomlin) would say. But the offer still stands for Oculus with all of us day one diehards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 257 Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Surrogates are the new Loyalists.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #213 of 257 Old 04-02-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

?????...Don't quite know what you mean with that comment. But if it suggests that I am a Oculus Rift surrogate...I think many other commenters on this thread and the old Xbox Next Gen thread can attest otherwise. BTW , if Oculus Rift somehow indirectly sees me and a few other early stage fans and diehards over here as surrogates...please at least send us all a free DEV kit 2 when they arrive this summer. And we'll shout to the rafters! biggrin.gif

Edit
I actually se it was in response to a comment above (cthanatos). cool.gif So...never mind...as old Emily Latella (Lilly Tomlin) would say. But the offer still stands for Oculus with all of us day one diehards!

Actually the Surrogate system in thet movie would be pretty cool since I don't get around very well.
My only concern is when you turn your head if the video stays the same them it could cause disorientation but if you're just laying there like in the movie "Jacking" then all you have yo worry about is the power going off or dehydration.
post #214 of 257 Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Pretty sure there will be plenty of jacking in VR despite mobility.
post #215 of 257 Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have been looking forward to this one ever since I first saw occulus pop up on kickstarter! :) seems like they have made quite some progress so far and hopefully the occulus rift will be in stores before the sony version, just because I like how it started with a small independent team. (until facebook stepped in that is :P ) Hopefully facebook wont impose to many things on the system like insisting on putting widgets for facebook in there.. but still, can't wait to try them out :) been waiting for decent vr since i played my first video game when I was 5 years old. :)

MasterHaze.

post #216 of 257 Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/03/08/the-oculus-rift-will-battle-sony-and-microsoft-at-e3/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-xbox-one-ps4-pc-shooter-will-use-oculus-rift-and-project-morpheus/1100-6418744/

http://segmentnext.com/2014/04/15/oculus-rift-dk2-sells-25000-to-developers-units-since-march-19/

Edit:
And this one from today.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/explore-ship-star-trek-voyager-oculus-rift-n87091

Voyager was my least liked Star Trek though. I think they should have done a simulation of Deep Space 9. Including a spin into the wormhole. That series was my second favorite Trek after the legendary Kirk and Spock "Prime" series. I have to admit though that I really-really like the new JJ Abrams Installments. Anyway...to the point. This looks interesting in a Myst sort of way. It would be fun to explore a planet like this in VR. It could even be Earth.
post #217 of 257 Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Curious how many of those 25,000 units were sold to developers vs early adopters. Regardless, it seems like another step in the right direction. This should be a ridiculously fabulous year for gaming.

tum
post #218 of 257 Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHaze View Post

hopefully the occulus rift will be in stores before the sony version

Yeah, I'd have to assume the Sony version will release November 2015 for $299.99 . Will the Rift be out before that ? Well, prior to Facebook buying them, I'd say absolutely yes. But now that Facebook is aboard, they could basically go back to the drawing board, and almost be starting over from scratch. Zuckerberg saw how comfortable Sony's VR unit was, and from what I understand the Oculus is very far from that. I seriously doubt the actual consumer version will look anything like the DK2. This makes me think that the consumer version is actually a 2015 thing, and not a 2014 thing. I would imagine that Summer 2015 could be a Oculus launch.

These are just pure guesses on my part....
post #219 of 257 Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Virtual reality makes 3D movies look like a carnival sideshow by comparison."

That quote from a hard core skeptic of VR said it all in the following article to me.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/24/the_truth_about_facebooks_plan_to_literally_alter_reality/?source=newsletter

So too did this comment:

"My senses were tricked, and I was in it. I traveled through a vortex of white coral, and an expansive void of darkness punctuated with geometric lines of light. I looked up and down, left and right, swirling my head. I was only mildly aware that the outside reality must think I look nuts. I was slightly aware that despite being comfortably seated, my heart was racing as if I was speeding through space.

There were, however, moments when I was jerked back into actual reality. I had to wait for sections of the documentary to load, and at one moment I was sure that it had ended, before brilliant images burst onto the screen. There were also physical downsides to the technology. By the end I was tinged with motion sickness, slightly concerned by my racing heart and craving human interaction.

Taking Oculus Rift off was like breaking through the surface of a pool. I took a moment to breathe and re-acclimate to the world around me. “I was really in it!” I blurted out to George. “It was like I was in my own special world.”

He laughed, “Well that’s the point.”

For the first time I understood why Oculus Rift, and virtual reality more broadly, were so incredible. (And maybe even why Mark Zuckerberg paid billions for the technology.) Virtual reality makes 3D movies look like a carnival sideshow by comparison."

After reading this article outside of the tech realm I really saw how powerful exposure to this new technology will impact people. I respectufully disagree with commenters who think VR will be a slow-go build. I think it will be flat out explosive out of the gate. The world is waiting for something like this. In a myriad of applications. From the moment someone straps one on in a Best Buy, Fry's or Gamestop, they will be on it! Just like that lady. And most of them will want it. Parents will see it as a valuable tool for teaching their children. Home Schooling & Education in general could take on a whole new dimension. Learning a musical instrument could become as easy as ABC's. This will be REVOLUTIONARY IMO. Especially once the VR boundaries move beyond just gaming, rock concerts and movies.

I fearlessly predict one of the biggest andmost fun games for VR will be resurrection of the "RockStar" music games series. Because of its potential to relate to real world experiences and learning. The transformation of the writer of this article suggests that VR Technology will be very compelling in persuading women to try & use it. That goes beyond "Big Potential". And enters the realm of potentially earth shaking potential. And that is why Zuckerberg forked over $2 Billion for it before the consumer model even launched. I think those emphatically pushing the Fad meme missed the memo entirely on what the "Next Generation" paradigm shift really is. VR is a massive convergence of a ton of A/V technology into a single and simple progressive format. From HDTV-HTPC-HDMI-3D-HDA (audio)-HD Motion Tracking/Telemetry-Every other present & future Computer and Communication platform out there...VR embraces all of it! In a simple package that is very easy for a consumer to see, digest, experience and understand. IMO it will all be application driven in the end.
DaverJ likes this.
post #220 of 257 Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/explore-ship-star-trek-voyager-oculus-rift-n87091

Voyager was my least liked Star Trek though. I think they should have done a simulation of Deep Space 9. Including a spin into the wormhole. That series was my second favorite Trek after the legendary Kirk and Spock "Prime" series. I have to admit though that I really-really like the new JJ Abrams Installments. Anyway...to the point. This looks interesting in a Myst sort of way. It would be fun to explore a planet like this in VR. It could even be Earth.

Ughhh....out of all the series they could have utilized, why voyager? I mean, it wasn't a 'bad' show per se, but I figure any VR fans with an interest in Star Trek would rather explore the original series or next generation. Deep Space Nine could be interesting, especially being able to 'explore' the station and interact with the likes of quark on the promenade, but.......Voyager?
barrelbelly likes this.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #221 of 257 Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Hmmm, the fears that gamers have had about a possible focus shift of OR now that Facebook swiped them up may turn out to be legit, based on this comment from the device's CEO in an interview with PC Magazine:
Quote:
When questioned about his commitment to gaming, Iribe pointed out that the Oculus team is still largely game developers, including CTO John Carmack. But the question is, "do we want to be Game Boy or do we want to be iPhone or Android," Iribe said. Do you want to build a platform that reaches 1 billion or 20-50 million?

Pretty cut 'n dried... gaming with the Gameboy was the primary activity, and gaming with iPhone is just one of many app categories. These kind of approaches tend not to go well with the hardcore, but we'll see how they play their cards.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #222 of 257 Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, and his newly acquired Oculus are using their virtual-reality goggles called Rift to train Norwegian Armed Forces as a beta-test to perfect their technology.

Rift was funded $2.4 million provided through Kickstarter and private venture capitalists to present the “new frontier for the independent gaming scene”.

In the end, Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus, took the offer of Zuckerberg to purchase his corporation for $2 billion in cash and stock options in Facebook.
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Zuckerberg%E2%80%99s_Virtual_Reality_Corp_is_Training_Foreign_Armed_Forces/35037/0/0/0/Y/M.html

Why am I not surprised? Ofcourse they would take it and use it for military applications...

post #223 of 257 Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting alliance below with Samsung. Especially great news on the Next Gen OLEDs for Oculus Rift. It could mean they are pushing for 4K & 1080p/eye out of the gate. I would definitely pay more ($400-$500) to get that kind of package. I am going to be very disappointed if major announcements are not made by Oculus Rift, Sony (Project Morpheus), Microsoft and Steam about VR launches in late 2014 and/or 2015 at E3. Most importantly...Oculus Rift needs to step up to the leadership plate at this E3 and seize the moment. They created all of the buzz. And by all accounts have the superior product. So it's time for them to give the faithful a reasonable launch date/window. And hit it IMO.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/samsungs-occulus-headset-sounds-like-a-modern-day-view-master-1
post #224 of 257 Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Samsung just spilled the beans on their free-form display panel tech. You know what that means? It means a single-panel high-resolution VR headset (curved perhaps) that might be more accurate than the Left/Right panel setup we've had for ages.
post #225 of 257 Old 06-18-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Samsung just spilled the beans on their free-form display panel tech. You know what that means? It means a single-panel high-resolution VR headset (curved perhaps) that might be more accurate than the Left/Right panel setup we've had for ages.

How is it any different from what oculus is doing?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #226 of 257 Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
How is it any different from what oculus is doing?
It's what they (Oculus) will have access to for development when the tech is further along. Samsung probably won't go through with their Phone2VR idea - assuming it's not just a misdirection cover for a VR headset using this new display tech - given how other headsets are shaping up.
post #227 of 257 Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
It's what they (Oculus) will have access to for development when the tech is further along. Samsung probably won't go through with their Phone2VR idea - assuming it's not just a misdirection cover for a VR headset using this new display tech - given how other headsets are shaping up.

What's different about it though? Oculus uses a single panel too.

post #228 of 257 Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I don't know that a curved display would help here either. I mean, since our eyes look straight ahead, a curved display would mean you were looking at an angle onto the display. The Rift uses huge enough lenses already to distort the image properly, I can't imagine what the curve would add for that.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #229 of 257 Old 06-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If they could just strap an imax theater to your face, it would make for some nice VR.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #230 of 257 Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://gamerant.com/project-morpheus...-release-date/
Translated...what Sony is saying is that they will be a follower in VR. Albeit a very fast one if Oculus Rift takes off like a rocket. But this is actually good news for Oculus Rift. It means they will dominate the early discussion on VR after launch. And that game developers will target their platform on PC to make games. Then port them over to PS4/Morpheus. Something they are already doing in real time. But don't discount the huge PS3 library that Sony can farm out to retro houses when VR launches. And that would likely be for PC and PS4 as hinted at in the article. Their new VR 1st party exclusives would likely be for PS4 only. That's just my take on this article.
DaverJ likes this.
post #231 of 257 Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey BD...I know you asked me to convince you over on the PS4 thread. But take a look at this article about "Alien Isolation" on Oculus Rift. http://www.wired.com/2014/07/alien-isolation-oculus/
Plus this article... http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/10/ocu...velopment/ and this one http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/24/o...carbon-design/ suggests they are going to reveal quite a bit in their planned, 1st ever VR Developer meeting in California in September. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...nt-conference/ I still will probably wait until the consumer model lands...or more actual VR gaming content is available to buy one. But the chance to even watch a 3D Blu-Ray movie like Avatar or OZ the Great and Powerful is very compelling. But that Alien VR game is just the tip of the Iceberg of what's coming late 2015, IMO. I expect to see the rumored HL3...Remasterd Portal 1&2...ME trilogy and a host of Racing, Flying, Water based simulations, Sports games like TW Golf & others. And other genres will hit the market like an avalanche when VR launches. IMO the lack of those games that are in development is the only reason we won't get Oculus Rift or Sony Morpheus in 2014. I wouldn't even be surprised if Oculus Rift's new 1st Party development house won't be focused on licensed PC ReMasters of classics. Just like Saber Interactive and others are doing for Xbox. I suspect we are going to hear a lot of exciting news from that Dev conference in September. Especially about the "VR Controller". Since there has been so much people movement between Valve and OR...it wouldn't even surprise me if a ideas from or a version of the Steam Controller isn't revealed.

If one could Pee their pants in VR...That writer in the article sure sounded like it happened to him. Methinks scary games are going to be very...very scary in VR.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-14-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #232 of 257 Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Hey BD...I know you asked me to convince you over on the PS4 thread. But take a look at this article about "Alien Isolation" on Oculus Rift. http://www.wired.com/2014/07/alien-isolation-oculus/
Plus this article... http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/10/ocu...velopment/ and this one http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/24/o...carbon-design/ suggests they are going to reveal quite a bit in their planned, 1st ever VR Developer meeting in California in September. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...nt-conference/ I still will probably wait until the consumer model lands...or more actual VR gaming content is available to buy one. But the chance to even watch a 3D Blu-Ray movie like Avatar or OZ the Great and Powerful is very compelling. But that Alien VR game is just the tip of the Iceberg of what's coming late 2015, IMO. I expect to see the rumored HL3...Remasterd Portal 1&2...ME trilogy and a host of Racing, Flying, Water based simulations, Sports games like TW Golf & others. And other genres will hit the market like an avalanche when VR launches. IMO the lack of those games that are in development is the only reason we won't get Oculus Rift or Sony Morpheus in 2014. I wouldn't even be surprised if Oculus Rift's new 1st Party development house won't be focused on licensed PC ReMasters of classics. Just like Saber Interactive and others are doing for Xbox. I suspect we are going to hear a lot of exciting news from that Dev conference in September. Especially about the "VR Controller". Since there has been so much people movement between Valve and OR...it wouldn't even surprise me if a ideas from or a version of the Steam Controller isn't revealed.

If one could Pee their pants in VR...That writer in the article sure sounded like it happened to him. Methinks scary games are going to be very...very scary in VR.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm getting the consumer version day one. I just need a reason to blow $350 on the dev kit.

post #233 of 257 Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 AM

Received an occulus email yesterday verifying payment and shipment info. My order status said they were waiting on units but hopefully the wait will be over soon.

tum
barrelbelly likes this.
post #234 of 257 Old 07-19-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumult View Post
Received an occulus email yesterday verifying payment and shipment info. My order status said they were waiting on units but hopefully the wait will be over soon.

tum
Congratulations! Do us all a favor and give a quickie review about it. Or at least a like and dislike assessment of your anticipated deliverables.
post #235 of 257 Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 PM

I bought the occulus primarily for my racing rig but it's probably going to be 6-12 months before I can try it. I had to temporarily move to houston for medical treatment and the rig is back in Colorado. On the good news front, my PC should arrive Monday so I'll be able to try the occulus with the non racing games.

tum
post #236 of 257 Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody hear about this new virtual gun thing they are going to have for it ? Seems pretty cool..

http://gizmodo.com/i-shot-targets-wi...+stephentotilo
post #237 of 257 Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 PM

The write up made me want to buy one until the end where he mentioned that occulus may be developing their own gun solution.

tum
post #238 of 257 Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/24/pacific-rim-jaeger-pilot-oculus-vr/#comments

Keeps getting better...

tum
post #239 of 257 Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/24/pacific-rim-jaeger-pilot-oculus-vr/#comments

Keeps getting better...

tum
Seeing it will be awesome!. Playing it with a handheld controller could be exhilarating...to do...or funny as hell to watch. Playing it standing up with Kinect or Move could wreck a room and break a few bones.
post #240 of 257 Old 07-26-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I bought the occulus primarily for my racing rig

You know, I was thinking about how Oculus, combined with a really high-end racing cockpit, with force feedback and everything, could potentially simulate reality.... basically.

Think about it. If you are sitting inside a racing cockpit, with your hands on the steering wheel, and if the racing cockpit has the right force feedback and motion accelerators, etc, etc, what's the difference between that and real life ? Sure, you might be aware of the fact that you have some 3 pound contraption on your head (not sure what it weighs), and if you didn't have a super high end racing cockpit with the proper force feedback, but other than that, I don't know what the difference would be. I guess wind blowing in your hair or the smell of burning tires or something.

Obviously, I'm more talking about a future version of the Oculus that would have photo-real graphics. I don't think we are quite there yet. You'd also need a developer that is willing to take the extra time and care to make sure the VR experience is spot on, but in about 20 years time, I could see people having their own racing cockpits at home, and basically experiencing the first hand sensation of being in an Indy 500 race in real life. Would be pretty cool.

One thing I do wonder about though, is that some older people, that don't know that they have some heart problems, if the experience was so, so real, you have to wonder if some people could actually have a heart attack from it ? That's the only problem with making things so real that your mind / body doesn't know they aren't real, there could potentially be some very unwanted side effects of that.

By the way, I hope your medical treatment that you are going through, goes great for you, and that you fully recover from your situation. Good Luck!
Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page