Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Gaming - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #241 of 261 Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thx for the well wishes. And for my public service announcement, I'll have to mention that as guys, we are also susceptible to breast cancer so don't forget to check yourself.

Yeah, so I feel pretty fortunate that my rig has 4 dbox actuators so its full on motion and should provide a ridiculous experience when combined with the rift. Speaking of which, ups says I'll have it Thursday. I'll try and post some feedback but I'm not great with reviews.

tum
barrelbelly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I posted the following article link and the comment below it over in the OLED/New flat panel tech area. Where most of the discussion centers around the kind of display tech required to deliver realistic & ideal VR. BD2003 made a comment today in the HTPC area about 3D tech and video games that I agree with. But with this caveat. I think game developers will build all of their 3D capability around VR if OR becomes a phenomenon. And Sony jumps in quickly with its Morpheus link to PS4. Much of the early stuff will not even be true VR IMO. It will be games focused on creating a VR via 3D effects...with many being iconic game Re-Masters and 3D Blu Ray movies. I think we will see a lot of 3D games early...masquerading as VR along with a sprinkling of real VR titles. Then we will get several definitive VR titles that super accelerate this new category circa 2016-2018. It could range from Half Life 3-Mass Effect trilogy...Shepard Collection, completely re-mastered for VR-several other Iconic franchises like Prey (Prey 2?). That is mostly developed. But could be retooled to VR format pretty easily. If you google it. You'll see it's fusion of co-operative and solo gameplay mechanics are ideal for a VR experience. Bethesda and Human Head are hopefully already on board with this as a way out of their pecker size stalemate.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/31/o...g/?.tsrc=yahoo

BTW...Luckey, Iribe, Abrash and Carmack are all on record saying the ultimate VR experience will take place when the market has access to 16k-24k of resolution or higher. And they think that can happen over the next 20 years as VR becomes more widely used in a huge range of industries utilizing its unique capabilities. But they also stated that a very good to excellent VR experience can be achieved in the interim with 1080p per eye to 8k (4k per eye). I think these guys are ready right now from a technical and partnership standpoint to launch a consumer version of OR. Their statements sans the FB acquisition suggests they are delaying so a full range of game developers and accessory manufacturers have a wide stable of products ready to feed the VR beast. As far as video tech is concerned. They have come a long way since the prototype stage. And I suspect they will always push the envelop on best in class, practical A/V tech.
post #243 of 261 Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I've been only paying a little attention, but people are getting their dev kit 2 devices now. From what I've read, it's definitely still a huge hassle to get things running on the new SDK (in other words, not anywhere near ready for general use), but people are saying it's pretty incredible when they do.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #244 of 261 Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
I shall strap my Galaxy Note 3 to my face for a comparable experience.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #245 of 261 Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I shall strap my Galaxy Note 3 to my face for a comparable experience.

https://developers.google.com/cardboard/

post #246 of 261 Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothyp...won-comic-con/

I think the skeptics are completely under estimating the power of Social Media with the marriage of Face Book & Oculus Rift. Initially I think that calculus will reveal itself more with movies, Sports and TV shows until full VR games are more available. Super Bowl Parties with friends in different places and countries can take on a whole new scale with VR. I actually think devices like Oculus Rift and Morpheus will usher in the true age of super immersive gaming. And in in several formats via the same device.
  1. You'll have full VR games and movies. that are designed from the ground up to create and provide the ultimate VR experience. That's about 2-3 years away IMO
  2. You'll have Augmented Reality modded versions of past and current games. And that is being done now with over 300 IPs. And the list is growing. Steam will be a huge wheelhouse for this. And even Xbox Live could join the Party with Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Sony will obviously exploit this potential with PS3 and PS4.
  3. You'll have 3D super immersive re-masters of classics like Half Life, Mass Effect Trilogy and etc...that walk you right up to the edge of Full VR. But you clearly will be just manipulating the character in the VR world with current type controllers
  4. Others such as VR simulation salons for Racing, cycling, health, Running & all sort of fantasy aerobic competitions and etc.
post #247 of 261 Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I think the skeptics are completely under estimating the power of Social Media with the marriage of Face Book & Oculus Rift. Initially I think that calculus will reveal itself more with movies, Sports and TV shows until full VR games are more available. Super Bowl Parties with friends in different places and countries can take on a whole new scale with VR. I actually think devices like Oculus Rift and Morpheus will usher in the true age of super immersive gaming. And in in several formats via the same device.
  1. You'll have full VR games and movies. that are designed from the ground up to create and provide the ultimate VR experience. That's about 2-3 years away IMO
  2. You'll have Augmented Reality modded versions of past and current games. And that is being done now with over 300 IPs. And the list is growing. Steam will be a huge wheelhouse for this. And even Xbox Live could join the Party with Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Sony will obviously exploit this potential with PS3 and PS4.
  3. You'll have 3D super immersive re-masters of classics like Half Life, Mass Effect Trilogy and etc...that walk you right up to the edge of Full VR. But you clearly will be just manipulating the character in the VR world with current type controllers
  4. Others such as VR simulation salons for Racing, cycling, health, Running & all sort of fantasy aerobic competitions and etc.

you might be right, but i am still very skeptical. People just a couple of years ago were talking about how 3d was going to take over and how wiimotes/kinect was the "future". i will believe it when i see it. I think we are still a long way away from this being "accepted". I think it is a niche that people will say "oh that's cool", but not actually purchase and use...
post #248 of 261 Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
you might be right, but i am still very skeptical. People just a couple of years ago were talking about how 3d was going to take over and how wiimotes/kinect was the "future". i will believe it when i see it. I think we are still a long way away from this being "accepted". I think it is a niche that people will say "oh that's cool", but not actually purchase and use...
I understand your skepticism ben-ben. It's the wise call for a lot of reasons. But I'm not skeptical about it at all. In many ways, I think this is the surest thing since the market moved to HDTV. IMO its just the right time for this. Everything is converging to it being the answer for so many things...beside gaming and movies. It can literally transform any kind of probe and analysis based application like Deep ocean research & development, interstellar and innerspace R&D, Surgical application, real time military reconnaissance and too many other applications to reference here. Technology has just converged in a way where it's time for this. And its broad scale use will help drive it all over. That's just my humble take on it.
post #249 of 261 Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Others such as VR simulation salons for Racing, cycling, health, Running & all sort of fantasy aerobic competitions and etc.
You're on target; the iRacing thread on the Rift is currently at 55 pages. (For those not already into sim-racing, iRacing is one of a small handful of truly realistic driving simulators, and awards cash prizes in both the oval and road racing disciplines. There are other high-quality simulations and this post is not intended to slight them, but only to show the level of interest in the Rift.)
post #250 of 261 Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
I understand your skepticism ben-ben. It's the wise call for a lot of reasons. But I'm not skeptical about it at all. In many ways, I think this is the surest thing since the market moved to HDTV. IMO its just the right time for this. Everything is converging to it being the answer for so many things...beside gaming and movies. It can literally transform any kind of probe and analysis based application like Deep ocean research & development, interstellar and innerspace R&D, Surgical application, real time military reconnaissance and too many other applications to reference here. Technology has just converged in a way where it's time for this. And its broad scale use will help drive it all over. That's just my humble take on it.
In all seriousness (this is not a sarcastic post at all). If i were you, i would invest some money in it. The people that were able to invest early in MP3 tech, etc.. made a ton of money. You could certainly turn out to be right, i don't follow these things as closely as you do. The people that can get a head of the market can make some good money...
post #251 of 261 Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post
In all seriousness (this is not a sarcastic post at all). If i were you, i would invest some money in it. The people that were able to invest early in MP3 tech, etc.. made a ton of money. You could certainly turn out to be right, i don't follow these things as closely as you do. The people that can get a head of the market can make some good money...
I do plan to buy FaceBook Stock as soon as OR announces a firm Launch date. In the mean time. here is a lot of interesting meat in this article from Palmer Lucky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
post #252 of 261 Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami
Quote:
I do plan to buy FaceBook Stock as soon as OR announces a firm Launch date. In the mean time. here is a lot of interesting meat in this article from Palmer Lucky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
Looks like FaceBook acquisition has actually given VR and Oculus a big jolt. And serious credibility upside.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...&nlid=27973239
post #253 of 261 Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Its is interesting to follow this thread, and I am all into these new technologies. I was playing around with 3d glasses back in the late 90's on PC's but that never took off, and I have 3d TV's/Projectors which work really good once you get a big projector/screen setup, and I remember having a go on the old 90's VR game with that big headset and joystick lol. I hope we do see something come of these new waves of VR innovation, but I have to say I don't think in its current form it will go very far for every day social use... but it is nice to see another push forward. The vision of my wife asking for one of these to use with FB is just a stretch too far.... It's going to be future younger generations that will want these experiences me thinks and I'm sure it will be just like the movies and become an addiction with all sorts of health issues. VR 'the concept' is cool and will help the military get better at killing people I'm sure, but for every day use... well who knows :-)
post #254 of 261 Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 658
post #255 of 261 Old 09-25-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have to admit, having seen all the reactions to this tech, your smartest investment will be in the chairs and restraints that are going to start to become the new normal as more and more people fall out of their seats with one of these things on and crack their heads on their desks, also invest in really good looking water-tight wastebaskets, because people are going to be losing their lunch. Possibly carpet cleaning supplies......Proctor and Gamble is the smart buy

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #256 of 261 Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 175
One thing my GF and I do to at least get 360 degrees of vision out of the Google Cardboard without bumping into things is by sitting on a computer chair with wheels, it's much safer.

Given the couch-potato-ey nature of gamers and video enthusiasts everywhere, I'd say a smart bet is on VR chair companies. (hey I'm guilty of that too, the last thing I want to do after a 12 hour shift is jump around and fight aliens standing up)

The rift has code support in all the major game engines now (I've seen the code in Unreal 3/4, Rage, etc), but I personally think a big hurdle for the AAA videogames biz is to get over this third-person view nonsense that has dominated videogames in the last console generation. The problem with first person on consoles is that the controllers are still not that accurate to smoothly pan around and aim your gun in 3D, and that's why you really need decent head tracking and gesture capture before you can even think about killing off the controller. Some of the new aftermarket controllers could become "must haves" once you put on a headset which will force you into a first person mindset. Third person games are still obviously possible but I think (hope) they will be cast aside eventually.

That said, I bought an OTG usb cable adapter to keep up my Xbone controller to my nexus and try out some VR games this weekend Cardboard. I'm definitely picking up a Maxwell GPU due to the improvements in latency which has some reviewers of the latest Rift saying they experienced actual "Presence". And that's a big step. Suddenly, your mind is really tricket into thinking it's not here but there, and that only happens when both blur and latency and the quality of the pixels are good enough. (The audio as well cannot be understated, I look forward to hearing the latest 3D audio engines on headphones).

One other thing I should mention is that as soon as you upgrade your DPI on your phone you get a huge benefit, but getting rid of the visibility of the pixel structure is the first step. Going up to QHD from FHD is a good step. I definitely noticed a huge bump in quality when I put my cousin's retina-capable iphone 4 in my cardboard instead of my own phone. Some of the other tech that's interesting is streaming, though the lag there is really too slow I think. Maybe locally rendered from your PC but then streamed to your phone via wifi could be fast enough, so long as there's some kind of latency-aware protocol. I really hope they get their act together and figure out a way to make G-sync or Adaptive Sync work with the Rift. Carmack said last year that G-sync wouldn't work for some reason (perhaps the same reason that causes G-sync to not work at the same time as ULMB / low persistence tech).

Hopefully that will be ironed out by the time the dust settles and Adaptive Sync kills G-sync. With the need for uber high res displays at high refresh rates I see DisplayPort 1.3 being used almost exclusively for VR, at least on the PC side. Apparently even the GPUs on the consoles could potentially get a firmware update one day to support Active Sync via HDMI if the HDMI specs people get their thumb out and actually see what Vesa has been doing.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 09-26-2014 at 12:52 AM.
post #257 of 261 Old 12-05-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whoaaa Boy! Some wild demos on the Rift from PC World. The Boy-Girl demo is hilarious. It didn't take long to figure out the genders. Just follow the "Rising Sons".

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28509...potential.html

On a serious note...the implications for medicine and surgery could be off the charts. This technology could revolutionize medical probe tech in the future. Maybe we're closer to sending nano probes in exploration medical procedures than everyone thinks. It this works...it's going to create a lot of new billionaires...in a lot of fields.

PS: I noticed the article said release of the consumer model is "Months" away. Hmmmm...wonder who leaked that or are they just guessing.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 12-05-2014 at 05:37 PM.
post #258 of 261 Old 12-12-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been screwing around with Google Cardboard just for the slightest taste of VR stuff, and it really makes me wish I could afford the Galaxy Note 4 (off-contract) and Gear VR. The Cardboard stuff is a nice toy, but I'd love to try it out with a better FOV.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #259 of 261 Old Today, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I've been screwing around with Google Cardboard just for the slightest taste of VR stuff, and it really makes me wish I could afford the Galaxy Note 4 (off-contract) and Gear VR. The Cardboard stuff is a nice toy, but I'd love to try it out with a better FOV.
Some of the apps for cardboard updated recently on my phone, might be worth trying again. I even got the adapter to plug in a controller into the USB port, so that I can play that Unity-based FPS in cardboard VR. There's also a flight sim that is pretty cool but I couldn't try simply because without a controller, you can't start the plane's engines!

The magnetic click thingy only works rarely. Not sure why, it worked perfectly for like a day or two then went completely dead, now it works in fits and starts.

Galaxy Note 4 + Gear VR could be really neat, though I am saving my money for consumer rift to use with my new GTX video card.

What cardboard compatible apps are you playing?
post #260 of 261 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The one based on Aaaa for the Awesome (titled "Caaaardboard" or something like that, I forget how many A's are in it) is my favorite one on it so far. I also want to try some of the PC demos streamed to my phone a little, I've read that people have had decent results doing that with Limelight and FreePIE, but I haven't really had much time to mess with it yet.

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit