[Build Pics] My i7 2600K HTPC Build with Silverstone CW02 case. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guys,

I have posted my build pictures on another thread here on the forum, but as this is the most appropriate section for these kinds of build, i am reposting here for folks who could take tips, and i can help me redefine the system and make changes to make it better.
I built my Gaming/HTPC system few months back and i wanted to share with you with what i finally managed to put togather for this build.

The components i choose were.

CPU : intel i7 2600K
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
PSU : CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Heatsink : Thermalright Silver Arrow
Case : SilverStone CW02
SSD : Crucial M4 128GB
Media Disk Drive : LITE-ON iHBS212-08 LightScribe
GPU : ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5
120mm Fans : Gentle Typhoon
80mm Fans : SilentX
Lots of noise dampning stuff



I particularly choose this case cos of its spaciousness. Forever since i was reading about setting up a desktop i wanted to install a noctua or a silver arrow cpu cooler. I do game occationally on a PC other than the XBox, hence wanted a solid air cooling solution. Thermalright SilverArrow was the best at the time and the tallest cooler. For this i wanted to make sure that the HTPC case is tall enough to accept this cooling tower.





The cpu cooler is surely tall, here are all the accessories that came along with the cooler.







Ready to mount the i7 CPU





Real tight timings on this one. Timing 7-8-7-24. Cas Latency 7





Mounted to the motherboard





Thermalright Silverstone mounted to the motherboard, and no issues with the clearence between the RAM heatsink





The Cooling tower drawfs the motherboard. biggrin.gif





Gentle Typhoons, The best of 120mm fans.





I know i am overdoing it, but the case houses 6 HDD's hence trying to minimize noise.



It used to look like that,



Now, after swapping with the Gentle Typhoons.





These are optional fans for HDD's, thats mounted below on the bed.



tongue.gif



Enought clearence between the Heatsink and the exhaust (Gentle Typhoons)



Hard Disks added, the heatsink sits plush in between the exhaust fan and the hdd tray



All hdd's added, PSU added, SSD attached to the top of the HDD trays with a velcro. Its a mess right now..



Control panel of the VFD, trying to make space for cable management.



Just wanted to let people know that if anyone is considering the CW02 case, and a taller Heatsink... you will get enough clearence and almost any cooler will fit this HTPC case.



Even thought it was kind of a tight spot after adding all these HDD's and a giganormous cooler, there was little scope for cleaning up and cable manament.



Hated the shorter power supply cord that came with the PSU... gotta get an extension.



Did not wanted to waste HDD space, hence added the SSD to the top of the HDD bays using velcro



The execution has been a little tight, but still it did go through.











Its a big graphic card, but the CW02 case swallows it as well.






I still have to take some post setup pics with the VFD screen, will do that soon, once i receive SuperMicro my storage chassis and post build pictures all along.

The HTPC/gaming rig has taken up everything i have thrown at it. Extremly satisfied with this setup.
holyindian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 174
That case looks the size of a house!

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Wow. Inspiring. smile.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Wow. Inspiring. smile.gif

Thanks Scott, good words from you mean a lot to me, i am a fan of you on the speakers/sub woofer threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

That case looks the size of a house!

Its just an inch taller than my Denon 4311CI AVR, does perfect justice to your AVR Rack, and looks stunning.
holyindian is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,513
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Nice!

Looks similar to a Marantz AVR. wink.gif

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
You either need to rotate your heatsink 90 degrees so that it exhausts toward the rear, or rip out the 120mm on the rear and put the case in a more open TV stand. Fans pulling air at 90 degree angles to each other creates a turbulence nightmare, reducing the efficiency of all fans involved. Also, attempting to pull air through a solid plate of wood-type product is pretty difficult, as you are currently trying to do.

Three stacked fans is also pretty nasty in terms of turbulence and efficiency. The fan in between the HSF and GPU is 100% unnecessary, and at best is only harming airflow a little bit. In all likelihood though? It's probably making things noisier and hotter. As it stands, you are taking every bit of heat from your i2600 and using it to cook your 7850. At a 90 degree rotation? The i2600 heat gets directly exhausted from the case.
darklordjames is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

You either need to rotate your heatsink 90 degrees so that it exhausts toward the rear, or rip out the 120mm on the rear and put the case in a more open TV stand. Fans pulling air at 90 degree angles to each other creates a turbulence nightmare, reducing the efficiency of all fans involved. Also, attempting to pull air through a solid plate of wood-type product is pretty difficult, as you are currently trying to do.
Three stacked fans is also pretty nasty in terms of turbulence and efficiency. The fan in between the HSF and GPU is 100% unnecessary, and at best is only harming airflow a little bit. In all likelihood though? It's probably making things noisier and hotter. As it stands, you are taking every bit of heat from your i2600 and using it to cook your 7850. At a 90 degree rotation? The i2600 heat gets directly exhausted from the case.

Thanks for looking.. for your tips and suggestions.
I wanted to do that while i was setting up the system, but there is no clearence from the exhaust side and the HDD side if i rotate it to 90 degree. I will end up removing two outer fans and just keep the middle fan from the heatsink if i have to do that.
I agree to the fact that the heatsink is blowing hot air directly to the GPU, but to eliminate this issue, i have modified the case top cover and and added a 120mm exhaust on the top. This is exactly above the graphic card and the heatsinks fan thats blowing air to the card.
This way the hot air is sucked out from the top.
holyindian is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hate my current graphic card, and looking to replace it with a Nvidia graphic card.. some GTX series.
Reason being ATI/AMD's pathetic drivers and frequent crashes of the display driver thus freezing the htpc, forcing me to reboot.
Plus i also have some issues with certain players like PowerDVD or Total Media Theater not playing DTS HD-MA Audio or TrueHD even after configuring every single option in the settings of each players. Where as XBMC does play every bitstreaming hidef audio possible without any issues.

I was looking at GTX 670, but i hear they are not very ideal for cuda or high end audio or htpc setup... infact ati was still a better choice for htpc's. is it true?
please suggest.
holyindian is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I have a GTX 670 and it's pretty nice. I'm not sure what you mean by not very ideal for cuda. confused.gif Are you doing some graphics modelling or something? Also, I'm not sure what videocard has an edge in high end audio. Unless you require hi-def bitstream in which case yeah I think AMD does that properly.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 12-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Member
 
EricU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Napa
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice job on documenting the build with photos!

I have a CW02 that I plan on for double duty as a HPTC and daily work rig. It will sit just above my Marantz SR7007 that by pure luck looks like it is a copy of!

I was planning on running the following;
  • ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard (if it fits)
  • Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) RAM

and for the video card, I am looking at; -
But I just noticed that the Silverstone website lists the CW02 as handling ATX motherboards, do you or anyone else know if the CW02 handles "Extended ATX" boards?

Thanks, Eric.
EricU is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
binici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That looks very sleek! You have some nice taste. I wish I still had the motivation to build PC as well as have time for gaming...
binici is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
holyindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

I hate my current graphic card, and looking to replace it with a Nvidia graphic card.. some GTX series.
Reason being ATI/AMD's pathetic drivers and frequent crashes of the display driver thus freezing the htpc, forcing me to reboot.
Plus i also have some issues with certain players like PowerDVD or Total Media Theater not playing DTS HD-MA Audio or TrueHD even after configuring every single option in the settings of each players. Where as XBMC does play every bitstreaming hidef audio possible without any issues.
I was looking at GTX 670, but i hear they are not very ideal for cuda or high end audio or htpc setup... infact ati was still a better choice for htpc's. is it true?
please suggest.

Finally this issue is resloved. The problem was with the drivers. After calling Asus support center, they directed me to install a driver that was not a part of the CD.
After which the issue of Videos crashing the system disappeared. Plus the DTS-HDMA support through Total Media Theater and PowerDVD was fixed after i installed and configured Shark007 codec. Originally i had only installed the XBMC which was preconfigured for DTS formats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I have a GTX 670 and it's pretty nice. I'm not sure what you mean by not very ideal for cuda. confused.gif Are you doing some graphics modelling or something? Also, I'm not sure what videocard has an edge in high end audio. Unless you require hi-def bitstream in which case yeah I think AMD does that properly.

Thanks for your reply Scott, after reading your post, i called Asus, and yes its a great card. I was going through a face of buyers remorse. The issue is fixed now. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post

Nice job on documenting the build with photos!
I have a CW02 that I plan on for double duty as a HPTC and daily work rig. It will sit just above my Marantz SR7007 that by pure luck looks like it is a copy of!
I was planning on running the following;
  • ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard (if it fits)
  • Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) RAM

and for the video card, I am looking at; -
But I just noticed that the Silverstone website lists the CW02 as handling ATX motherboards, do you or anyone else know if the CW02 handles "Extended ATX" boards?
Thanks, Eric.

SilverStone Customer support is great, while i was setting up the PC, i had couple of queries that confused me in the manual, after calling them it was a piece of a cake, they even offered me to swap out USB panel to the latest 3.0 version for very low price. Just call them let them know about the Motherboard, and they can assist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binici View Post

That looks very sleek! You have some nice taste. I wish I still had the motivation to build PC as well as have time for gaming...

Thanks for your comments, I get alot of positive responses from friends and colleagues who come over to my home and look at my rack, and specially point at the htpc case. Its really awesome. I game rarely, but the passion to build a high end PC that can be also used as an HTPC, and can be rackmounted to my home theater drove me to do this. I got it up and working in less than half a day. You can do it too.
holyindian is offline  
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off