desktop PC pulling double duty as HTPC... is this possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thought I'd check in with everyone before I start reconfiguring my current setup... basically, I have a PC that I use at my desk for gaming, internet browsing etc, the usual stuff. I have a Radeon HD 6500 graphics card and I currently connect it to my PC with a DVI cable, which means the HDMI port is free. Yesterday I got the idea of running an HDMI cable from the PC over to my AV receiver (DENON with HDMI inputs, natch) but I don't have a long enough HDMI cable on hand. Ideally I'd love to be able to set up a permanent connection to my AV receiver / 50" plasma display so I can play PC games on the home theater as well as stream video files. Before I seek one out and/or physically move my PC closer to the Home Theater setup, will what I've described even work? Can I run two displays from the singe graphics card? Are there advanced settings for this?

Hoping for good news, but any info / advice would be helpful... thanx!

biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What you want to do will work. Just get a long HDMI cable and hook it up. When I did that with my system I had to change the audio out settings in Windows each time I wanted to switch between the office sound system and the living room sound system. I think I ended up putting a couple shortcuts on the desktop to do that and to switch which monitor I was using. Pick up some good wireless controllers and enjoy.
gridbug likes this.

Steam ID : TubularTech
X-Box Live : Tubular Tech
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the good news is that I've gotten things to where I can now use both displays at the same time, but when I try to move a game over to the HDTV, it always reverts back to the PC monitor. Can't seem to find the right setting in the Catalyst Control Center application... any ideas?

confused.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 93
Ideally, both monitors will be the same resolution and you just run in clone mode, where the same image is spit out to both. Life will be much easier.

Alternatively, if you set the plasma as your Primary display, then games should open up over there.
gridbug likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

That did the trick, finally got it sorted out and everything is running smooth! Thanks, really appreciate the help!

smile.gif
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page