One Steam account, 3 gamers in the house... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
So, I'm putting my Steam account onto the family PC, and I'm going to install most of my games to that PC as well. My kids are going to want to play as well, but how do we actually do it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sign in to the account every time you want to use it. At no point can two machines be logged in and in use at the same time.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

So, I'm putting my Steam account onto the family PC, and I'm going to install most of my games to that PC as well. My kids are going to want to play as well, but how do we actually do it ?
What I did was just set up 3 different accounts because it was becoming a major PITA signing into my account each and everytime (you get a confirmation email with an activation code every time you want to use Steam on another PC). There's some redundancy in the titles we all have, but generally there's more kid's games on my daughter's account such as the lego games. You need 2 accounts with a copy of a game on each anyway if you want to play a game in co-op on 2 PCs (me and my wife play Dead Island together sometimes - real blast in co-op BTW). Not to get too much off topic, but right now (or a couple of days ago, might still be active) they have great deals at Amazon on lego PC game bundles which activate on Steam (they give you an activation code at Amazon, which you copy and paste into your steam account and then you can download from there). Greenmangaming also has had great deals on Batman games too which also activate on Steam (don't forget to input their discount codes usually found on their main page when checking out). Good luck.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

If you're wondering how you actually install those games on that other PC, you just sign into Steam and install them. Simple.

If you're wondering how easy it is to switch between computers, that's also very easy. I used to have to re-sign in each time I switched, but some time over the last six months or so they stopped requiring that. Now, I just start Steam on the computer I'm using no problem and no sign in. Everything is done automatically. Not sure what the above posters are referring to.

If you're wondering how to limit access to certain games for your kids, that's trickier and may require a separate account.

But again, I'm not sure exactly what it is you're asking. wink.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I used to have to re-sign in each time I switched, but some time over the last six months or so they stopped requiring that. Now, I just start Steam on the computer I'm using no problem and no sign in. Everything is done automatically. Not sure what the above posters are referring to.

If I read them right, what they're referring to is if you're signed into Steam on one computer and while it's on and Steam is up you sign into another computer and start Steam it will log you on the second computer and log you off the first computer. You can only remain signed into Steam on one computer at a time. Saying that, it's easy to use Steam on multiple computers; just don't attempt to remain logged into your account on both machines at the same time. Either that or as another poster said sign up for another account for the other PC.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 197
You can use the same account on 3 machines at once... BUT two of them will have to be in offline mode.

Start steam on one pc, restart in offline mode.
Start steam on second pc, restart in offline mode
Start steam on 3rd pc

Simple as that, but again, 2 of them will be offline. This makes it easy if the other 2 are just playing single player games and don't need to be online.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #7 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, my real question, actually is more to do with trying to keep track of saved games. My kids would be playing in offline mode, so that's not a problem. The majority of games that I have are single player games. They still have their Xbox and Xbox Live for multiplayer stuff. Let's say for example that I'm playing Borderlands (the original one), and I'm on the 5th level of that game. My son wants to try it on PC, and he wants to start the game from the beginning. How do we keep track of the different saves, so that when I get back to playing it, I'm not playing "his" game. On the Xbox, stuff like this is easy, because each of us has our own gamertag. I know I could get them their own seperate Steam accounts, but I'm not going to be buying 3 copies of the same game. I know that they won't be able to earn their own achievements playing on my account, and I also know that it will kinda screw up my Steam stats, in terms of how many hours I've put into whichever game and how many achievements I have for a particular game, but I don't really care about all that.

Basically, I'm just looking for a way to keep track of which saved games are which....
post #8 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, my real question, actually is more to do with trying to keep track of saved games. My kids would be playing in offline mode, so that's not a problem. The majority of games that I have are single player games. They still have their Xbox and Xbox Live for multiplayer stuff. Let's say for example that I'm playing Borderlands (the original one), and I'm on the 5th level of that game. My son wants to try it on PC, and he wants to start the game from the beginning. How do we keep track of the different saves, so that when I get back to playing it, I'm not playing "his" game. On the Xbox, stuff like this is easy, because each of us has our own gamertag. I know I could get them their own seperate Steam accounts, but I'm not going to be buying 3 copies of the same game. I know that they won't be able to earn their own achievements playing on my account, and I also know that it will kinda screw up my Steam stats, in terms of how many hours I've put into whichever game and how many achievements I have for a particular game, but I don't really care about all that.
Basically, I'm just looking for a way to keep track of which saved games are which....

Most games have different characters. Using the Borderlands example, you could have as many characters as you want, yours is yours, his is his, just name them in game, simple as that. Games like Skyrim work the same way, just save in a different slot. Very few games only have a single slot anymore.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #9 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

If you're wondering how easy it is to switch between computers, that's also very easy. I used to have to re-sign in each time I switched, but some time over the last six months or so they stopped requiring that. Now, I just start Steam on the computer I'm using no problem and no sign in. Everything is done automatically. Not sure what the above posters are referring to.
I didn't realize that they had just changed it recently. If what you're saying is true then that's a major plus, but it doesn't really matter much for me anymore since I set up multiple accounts like I mentioned anyhow. Another benefit is the ability to do local co-op if you ever desire (it's impossible with one account, even if in offline mode but I'll get to that in a minute).
Quote:

I really feel you on that issue. It mostly comes down to the design of these PC games; it seems like they intend them to be for a single user and that's it. I've had issues before with some RPGs that both me and my wife play on my main HTPC where one of us will over wright the other's game saves by accident (Fallout New Vegas comes to mind). Even having multiple Steam accounts on the same PC doesn't help most of the time since many games store game saves and data in the same loctaion. Some games get it right though with actual save slots and also Games for Windows Live games seems like it works well also (you can sign into a different account when needed and the saves are backed up online).
post #10 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

You can use the same account on 3 machines at once... BUT two of them will have to be in offline mode.
Start steam on one pc, restart in offline mode.
Start steam on second pc, restart in offline mode
Start steam on 3rd pc
Simple as that, but again, 2 of them will be offline. This makes it easy if the other 2 are just playing single player games and don't need to be online.

That has given me trouble before because if the Steam app detects any network connection that it wont start in offline mode (the best solution is usually just uplug the network cable from the back of the PC). I've mentioned it before on their forums and it seems they made it that way in order to prevent people playing local co-op games with just one account/one copy of a game. Plus some games almost "require" an internet connection to function properly; GFWL with thier online saves come to mind. I did something like that with a Batman game and my saved games got all screwed up.
Quote:

Most games have different characters. Using the Borderlands example, you could have as many characters as you want, yours is yours, his is his, just name them in game, simple as that. Games like Skyrim work the same way, just save in a different slot. Very few games only have a single slot anymore.
I would say that about 75% of the games don't have "slots", user names, or any other way to simplify keeping track of game saves. I probably have around 200 or so modern PC games to base this on and this has always been an issue since there are a few gamers in the house. The OP is correct, they got it right with consoles but failed with PC games.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post

That has given me trouble before because if the Steam app detects any network connection that it wont start in offline mode (the best solution is usually just uplug the network cable from the back of the PC). I've mentioned it before on their forums and it seems they made it that way in order to prevent people playing local co-op games with just one account/one copy of a game. Plus some games almost "require" an internet connection to function properly; GFWL with thier online saves come to mind. I did something like that with a Batman game and my saved games got all screwed up.
I would say that about 75% of the games don't have "slots", user names, or any other way to simplify keeping track of game saves. I probably have around 200 or so modern PC games to base this on and this has always been an issue since there are a few gamers in the house. The OP is correct, they got it right with consoles but failed with PC games.

If you restart specifically in offline mode, it doesn't make any difference if you're network is connected. I've done this with my 2 systems with no issues. Not sure where you're getting 75% from, most current games have multiple "slots". Skyrim has unlimited, Farcry 3 has at least 3, Borderlands is unlimited on the characters you create, ARMA 2 has player profiles, any game that uses GFWL can set up offline profiles, multiples of them, and that's just a few of the 380 games I have on steam. Most current generation games have ways to manage different profiles.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #12 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Ah. Gotcha. No simple answer. As others have said, this has much more to do with how individual game saves work rather than anything to do with Steam. Having a more "open" platform isn't always a plus!

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #13 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I didn't realize that they had just changed it recently.

In my experience, they haven't.

If I log into Steam on my laptop when my HTPC is already logged in, the laptop asks for a password, and boots the HTPC off Steam. That's fine enough, but when my laptop is logged in and I try to log in on the HTPC, that requires pulling out the keyboard to do so and isn't very convenient at all.

It should work the way described above, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, there's not really any reason that I shouldn't be allowed to be logged into Steam on two different computers. Don't get me wrong, I'd be 100% fine if it only let me actively play a game on one machine at a time, but since Steam knows when I'm in the middle of playing a game, it shouldn't be too hard to have the same end result while still letting Steam stay logged in on a computer.

It's especially true since the "Exit" button on Big Picture doesn't actually exit Steam.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #14 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 PM

Liked: 93
Just flipped between my Mac Mini and my PC, excited that they had fixed my main problem with Steam. It turns out that logging in on one box logs the other machine out, with each login requiring you to manually type in your password. Try logging in to Steam too many times between the two machines in rapid succession and it locks your account for a minute. Nothing has changed.

Steam is designed for one user on one machine. It's probably the single most retarded thing about the service. They want you to put a machine in the livingroom now, but haven't figured out basic login etiquette.

My 360s? My Gamertag lives on each box, and it automatically signs in each machine when I go to use it, without any user input. That is how it is done right.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Yeah hopefully Valve knows this and is working on a way to allow multiple machines to be logged in at the same time with the same account. I mean I can understand the desire to keep it simple and locked down but eh I know if they really want to make it happen they can do it.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:

If you restart specifically in offline mode, it doesn't make any difference if you're network is connected. I've done this with my 2 systems with no issues. Not sure where you're getting 75% from, most current games have multiple "slots". Skyrim has unlimited, Farcry 3 has at least 3, Borderlands is unlimited on the characters you create, ARMA 2 has player profiles, any game that uses GFWL can set up offline profiles, multiples of them, and that's just a few of the 380 games I have on steam. Most current generation games have ways to manage different profiles.

You're absolutely right about the offline deal mode that Steam has; there must've been a revision to that issue somewhere along the line also. People often forget that Steam is a form of DRM and I'm sure that they have it locked some way so you can't play one game over LAN in co-op in "offline mode" with one account. I'll have to check into it this weekend if I get around to it; it's got me rather curious.

Now onto the other subject of game saves and whatnot. I see that our two definitions of "game save slots" vary wildly. The type of game slots that me and I'm pretty sure that the OP are talking about are ones that DO NOT LET YOU overwrite any other user's game saves. The type that I'm talking about allows you to load a "slot" as soon as you boot up the game and all saves will automatically go into that "slot" whether they're manual saves or automatic/check point saves. For a lack of a better term these types of games are "idiot proof", but are somewhat rare on a PC. For example, the game Spiderwick Chronicles has the type of slots that I'm talking about. I can't comment on what kind of system Farcry 3 has, but games such as Skyrim can be a big issue when it comes to saves. At least that game has user names next to the saves, but there's nothing to stop another user from saving right over top of other user's saves if they're not careful. I only bring that up because that exact same thing happened to me with a very similar game, Fallout New Vegas (pretty much the same design). I had couple dozen hours invested into that game and my wife started to play it. She unknowingly wrote over all of my saved games.

I like the idea behind GFWL, but in reality those games get all kinds of wonky if you try to play them in offline mode and switch to an online profile or vise vera. You will end up with lost or corrupt game saves. I know that I'm not alone on this because I've seen it posted on gaming forums many times over. My wife lost her saved progress on the original Batman (offline profile) when I used the game in online mode one day. And don't even get me started on the last Batman release. That one was all kinds of screwed up at release because of GFWL. People were getting half way through that game only to mysteriously loose all of their game saves. I know something like this also happened to me with the game Dirt 2. I've been messing with Dark Souls lately (another GFWL), but I'm not going to chance playing it at all if I'm not connected to the internet.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

In my experience, they haven't.
If I log into Steam on my laptop when my HTPC is already logged in, the laptop asks for a password, and boots the HTPC off Steam. That's fine enough, but when my laptop is logged in and I try to log in on the HTPC, that requires pulling out the keyboard to do so and isn't very convenient at all.
It should work the way described above, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, there's not really any reason that I shouldn't be allowed to be logged into Steam on two different computers. Don't get me wrong, I'd be 100% fine if it only let me actively play a game on one machine at a time, but since Steam knows when I'm in the middle of playing a game, it shouldn't be too hard to have the same end result while still letting Steam stay logged in on a computer.
It's especially true since the "Exit" button on Big Picture doesn't actually exit Steam.
Logging in/ logging out isn't what I was initially talking about. It's when they make you enter that damn4 digit code that they send to your email address to use "a new PC". It seems like I was always getting those when trying to use the same account on multiple PCs. Hell, I don't even have a real keyboard with my HTPC (what I game on mostly these days), just one of those mini lenovo deals where the keystrokes only register half the time!
post #18 of 19 Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there's nothing to stop another user from saving right over top of other user's saves if they're not careful. I only bring that up because that exact same thing happened to me with a very similar game, Fallout New Vegas (pretty much the same design). I had couple dozen hours invested into that game and my wife started to play it. She unknowingly wrote over all of my saved games.

I was thinking, maybe for this family room PC, I could copy all my saves to a special folder, and use it as an emergency backup plan type thing. You know, I would go into each game, find my save, copy it, and save it to a special folder, and then if my kids accidently overwrite one of my saves, then I can go that folder and copy my save back into the game. Yeah, I won't be copying saves all the time, but every so often I would just to make sure I don't get screwed. 90 percent of the time I'll be playing the games on my man-cave PC, so I won't have to worry about this too much.

The only question is, where do I find all the saves for various games? I guess I'll just go into the C drive,and look in the games folders for what would seem like a save file, but I'm kinda a newb when it comes to PC gaming, so I'm not exactly sure what I'll be looking for, unless there is a folder in there named "saves",lol.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:

The only question is, where do I find all the saves for various games? I guess I'll just go into the C drive,and look in the games folders for what would seem like a save file, but I'm kinda a newb when it comes to PC gaming, so I'm not exactly sure what I'll be looking for, unless there is a folder in there named "saves",lol.
Sorry to get back to you so late; I almost forgot about this thread. Anyway, to answer your question; many are going to be in a folder inside Documents named "My Games" while many others will be in folders named after the developer or publisher (for example I have a folder named EA Games and SEGA right in Documents). Now some games try to be sneaky and place these saved games in various locations. For example I have a seperate folder under my username called Saved Games which contains Crysis 2, Risen2, and id Software (Rage). Keep in mind that some games save data online (GFWL). Steamcloud also does the same thing, but I believe that it's also backed up on the hard drive. It shouldn't be too much trouble if you're only worried about a couple of games.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page