New TV for HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am having some issues with my current TV and my Gaming PC. I just put the PC ( 660 Ti video card) together a month a go and have been doing my best to have the text show up clearly but have come to the conclusion that it is just not possible (unless I want to live with large black borders around the screen) with my current TV (50" DLP Samsung HL-S5086W) which is about 6-7 years old now.

I am looking at replacing it was a new Samsung LED. I can't find anything specific relating the to response times of the panels though I do see this "Clear Motion Rate" varies between 960 to 240 over the model ranges. Is there anything I should look for in particular for a 55" Gameing HTPC? Micro Dimming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I feel your pain, I was there 4 years ago. You don't mention resolution but I'll assume even with doing the native resolution of your TV, 1080P or 720P it was still blurry. DLP works for HTPC movies or gaming but when it comes to fine text on a browser it is not so good.

I don't know what your budget is but my advice for questions similar to yours is to point you to Vizio. The simple formula is take your budget and apply it to the closest matching TV price for a Vizio and your pretty much done. That TV will support the resolution you need, work great with HTPC, deliver stellar movies and gaming (including response times). The only thing to consider is if you want higher frequencies which only help in movies, Micro Dimming (Blacks are more blacker, cool if you want to pay for it) or extras like apps and wireless.

If on the other hand your looking for deep dives on tech specs and comparisons that is a different discussion all together.

So if you want the easy path go to Vizio.com, pick your TV, hop over to Amazon for the best deal, order and sit back and relax. You won't be disappointed and you won't have spent weeks researching a TV. Plus Amazon has the best return policies and service that I know of so even if there is an issue Amazon is there to help.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That is a 720p TV so you need to keep the in-game and desktop resolution at 720p or 1280x720.

Once you have the resolution set correctly you need to go into nvidia's control panel and set the overscan so that your display fills your TV correctly... Most likely have to set it to 0% and it is probably defaulting to 15%.

Once you do the above report back on if you still want to look at a new TV. These setting changes need done to almost all TV's and video cards.

Edit:

DLP is a great technology and is not at fault for blurry text. - source: I own 2 DLP projectors and neither has blurry text.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page