Shield - nVidia's Android-based, PC game streaming handheld - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 76 Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Their was a new update to the NVidia Shield yesterday. It's now capable of streaming 1080 60p for some games when hooked up to a TV.
"Stream from your PC at up to 1080p @ 60 FPS in Console Mode when using Ethernet (via micro USB Ethernet adapter)."
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-shield-december-software-update-released

Yes I know, I've been posting in here a lot lately.

OK, just looking at the prices, I see that it's still $250 (with the T Shirt if you get it at NewEgg) but doesn't include the case. The sale price and free case was supposed to be until Monday. I guess $250 is probably going to be the new retail price now. That's 2 price drops in such a short time if you include the fact that they dropped the price from $350 to $300 almost before it got released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
The thing that kills it for me is that the streaming isn't universal...it's only like 50 games. I like the idea, especially the "console mode" where you'll supposedly be able to stream high bitrate 1080p over ethernet. But they need to get it to the point where it just works with everything. That's what steam seems to be promising at least.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #63 of 76 Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, as I mentioned in the description, I was originally going to make it a bit more complicated than this and at the same time, I mess up some of the scenes but I've decided to upload it anyway. I rushed doing it so that I can get it up online quick.
DaverJ likes this.
post #64 of 76 Old 12-28-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a review now that I've had it for a while.

Part of the reason that I've bought it over other Android tablet devices was because I wanted something that was powerful enough to play 1080 60p files and very high bit rate 1080 24p files, have HDMI output and an SD card slot. Some devices were eighter missing features or didn't have a top range chip such as a Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800. Speaking of video playback abilities, it's incredible. It plays back native 1080 60p files from AVCHD cameras flawlessly and when it comes to high bit rate files such as hacked video files from my GH2, I also have no issue. This is when I use the "BS Player" (Couldn't they have think of a better name?). Now when I use the "MX player", I've sometimes ran into issues with high quality video files so I'd recommend the BS Player.

Now when it comes to playing back Android games, it's been incredible. Sometimes you read about people having problems playing back certain games on their devices since some developers will try to push the envelope in the graphics department but the Shield will usually have the least amount of issues. Plus their are games with Ultra settings that have been optimized for the Tegra 4 chip. Other issues some people have ran into is certain games not having game-pad support. With the Shield, you can eighter easily download profiles from other users or you can easily map it yourself. Still, their are a lot of games in which you don't have to do anything since they are already game pad friendly.

When it comes to emulation of older consoles , I'll admit that I have used Reicast which can be downloaded from the Google Play store and is in beta form at the moment but from the games I've tried, I'm impressed. Some games plays just as good as they did on my Dreamcast which is a bit scary. With the Shield being so powerful, it's expected that it's running the games better than some phones can.

Their are some negatives. As we all know, it's not as portable as a phone and can't really fit well in an average size pocket. Plus their is a slight weight to it which is no problem at all to me but for young kids as little as say 7 years old, it might be an issue. Although I'm thankful that it has a memory card slot, I do wish it uses regular size SD cards. Reason why I'd prefer regular size is because I would have easily been able to take a card out of my camera and put it into the Shield to playback the video files without needing special adapters with a mini on one end that goes to the Shield and a female end that attaches to regular size cards or the other kind of adapters that the mini cards go in. I'd have to replace all of my SD cards using the latter. Same with the HDMI port. It could have been a regular sized port but at least that's not as much of an issue as the memory card port. No camera of any kind. Even a cheap camera that takes 640x480 videos would have been better than nothing for people who would like to use Skype with it for example. The screen could have been slightly bigger and still fit in the same case. NVidia says that 64GB SDXC cards and up can be used if you Format it to NTFS but you'd only be able to read from that card and the Shield wouldn't be able to write to it. In order to solve that issue, you'd have to format it to FAT32 like I did. You just have to make sure you don't have any files that are over 4 gigs. NVidia did say that they're working on a future firmware upgrade that would allow the Shield to write to NTFS. I'd wish NVidia would also allow the Shield to read and write to exFAT. This would make the cards fully compatible with most Windows and Apple devices when it comes to reading and writing. Another sort of negative is that if you already own an Android phone or Tablet, the interest toward owning a Shield might not be high unless you want to take advantage of the extra power like if you want to play very high quaity HD videos, some Android games on ultra settings or play your Steam games wirelessly.

As for streaming from Steam, well, lest just say I have no comment. I actually don't have a compatible video card but I should have one by next year. I'd rather get a card that is fully HDMI 2.0 complaint anyway for the playback of 2160 60p videos in case I'd ever get a nice 4K TV for a good price.

Comparing it to the PS Vita their are a lot of differences. Unlike the PS Vita, it has HDMI output and the ability to use a DualShock controller. Unfortunately Sony would rather you also buy a PS Vita TV if you want to use an external gamepad and hook it up to a TV. I do find it extremely ironic that you can use a Dual Shock on an Android and not on a PS VIta. Still, the Vita is more portable and does have a lot of games that you wouldn't find on Android or iOS. At the same time, their are games on Android that you wouldn't find on the PS Vita. I obviously own both and they do compliment each other. Owning a 3DS would also be good. You'd have the best of all portable worlds.
post #65 of 76 Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I wonder how it compares to MOJO which - oddly enough - seems to have no actual reviews since launch. Both are the same internal hardware give or take the Shield running 100Mhz faster.
post #66 of 76 Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

post #67 of 76 Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

post #68 of 76 Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Reduced to $199 and will receive a massive update that includes KitKat and streaming to laptops.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/
post #69 of 76 Old 03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 176
What would I stream to my laptop? I'm not sure how that's a useful feature.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #70 of 76 Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

What would I stream to my laptop? I'm not sure how that's a useful feature.

I'm guessing you are using a potentially low-end laptop as a screen + keyboard/trackpad device for streaming your main PC's Steam library..? confused.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #71 of 76 Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm guessing you are using a potentially low-end laptop as a screen + keyboard/trackpad device for streaming your main PC's Steam library..? confused.gif

Which is now pretty much a built in function for steam. Why would I need to use the shield.

First you have to stream your game to the shield, then from the shield to the laptop. Someone has to have a decent idea on why anyone would choose to do this.

Maybe something to do with the quality of the stream?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #72 of 76 Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, I actually meant streaming to the Shield from a laptop with a compatible graphics card. Currently it is only desktop computers that can do that officially. This had been a highly requested feature.
post #73 of 76 Old 03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Portal is coming to the Shield. From what I understand, it'll be an Android game specifically made to take advantage of the Shield's capabilities.
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/portal-shield/
post #74 of 76 Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

post #75 of 76 Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I've posted a bit about NVidia Shield news here when it's not a popular device on AVS Forum but a couple of big games did get released recently. Half Life 2 and Portal. They were made specifically for the Shield and only works on the Shield. Still, who's to say their wont be people doing some hacking to get the game working on other Android Devices.
post #76 of 76 Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
If only there was a D-Pad mod for this thing, it could be an amazing portable emulation machine. I've heard the D-Pad is really quite lame, so playing SNES and Genesis games with a crappy D-Pad doesn't sound like a good time.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page