Shield - nVidia's Android-based, PC game streaming handheld - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
The Tegra 4 based Shield is available now for $300.

Shield tech specs (Click to show)
Quote:
Hardware

Form Factor
Flip

Length
5.31 inches

Width
6.22 inches

Thickness
2.24 inches

Weight
1.28 pounds

Color
Black

Primary orientation
Landscape

Sensors
Accelerometer, Gyroscope

Display

Screen size (diagonal)
5 inches

Technology
LCD

Touchscreen type
Capacitive

Performance

CPU brand
Nvidia

CPU model
Tegra 4

Cores

RAM
2 GB

Input

Control
D-Pad, Shoulder buttons

Analog stick(s)

Connectivity

Wi-Fi
Yes

Wi-Fi support
802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b

GPS
Yes

Bluetooth
Yes

Bluetooth version

Audio

Speaker(s)
Stereo

Built-in mic
Yes

Storage

Internal storage
16 GB

External storage
Yes

Supported memory cards
microSD

Software

Game media type
Internal / Downloads

Online store
Yes

Notable apps
Tegra Zone

Ports

Video out
Yes

Headphone jack
3.5mm

Data connections
Micro USB

Power

Capacity
28.8 Wh

Product info snipped from the official FAQ:
Quote:
What Android games does SHIELD work with?

As SHIELD is a full-featured Android device with a multi-touch screen and access to the Google Play store, gamers can access and play an extensive catalog of Android games on SHIELD. Games optimized for gamepads and 5" landscape displays are going to provide the best gaming experience. Check out the list of SHIELD optimized games available from TegraZone. Beyond the many great titles available through TegraZone, There are a number of other games available on Google Play that offer native controller support. Check out a list of tested Android games.

What are the system requirements for streaming pc games to SHIELD?

The basic requirements are a Wi-Fi router and a modern gaming PC with a GeForce GTX 650 or higher desktop GPU.

The detailed requirements are:

• GPU: GeForce GTX 650 or higher desktop GPU (Notebook GPUs are not supported at this time)
• CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz or higher
• System Memory: 4GB or higher
• Software: GeForce Experience application and latest GeForce drivers
• Routers: 802.11a/g router (minimum). 802.11n dual band router (recommended). Check out a list of recommended routers.

How does streaming games from my PC to SHIELD work?

NVIDIA uses the H.264 encoder built into GeForce GTX 650 or higher desktop GPUs along with special streaming software integrated into GeForce experience to stream games from the PC to SHIELD over the user's home Wi-fi network with ultra-low latency. Gamers use SHIELD as the controller and display for their favorite PC games as well as for steam big picture. This enables gamers to get a GeForce GTX PC gaming experience anywhere in their home Wi-fi network.

What PC games does SHIELD work with?

For beta we are supporting a select number of Steam games as well as enabling access to Steam Big Picture. Check out the complete list of supported PC games.

PC game streaming is in beta – What does that mean?

The PC streaming beta features a select number of supported games from Steam, access to Steam Big Picture, and a set of recommended routers. After conclusion of the beta period, users will receive a free software update to the official release that includes expanded game support, broader wi-fi compatibility, feature enhancements, and any needed bug fixes based on beta feedback.

What buttons are on the SHIELD controller?

SHIELD provides a full console-grade controller with two joysticks, a D-pad, ABXY buttons, L/R bumpers, L/R analog triggers, Start/Back/Home/Volume buttons, and a multi-function NVIDIA/Power button.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I saw it on Engadget and they described it as being like a Dualshock 3. Their picture was horrible contrast black on really dark so you couldn't see it. Now that I see it, it's nothing like a dualshock, except the thumbsticks being in the same orientation.

They said you can play your steam games located on your PC on this device, although I'm not sure why you would want to. Only if it can be done while you're not in your home. I guess it would be a nice way to bring you PC games mobile.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Haha, it'll be hilarious if this thing allows Steam's Big Picture mode to work so you can play all your compatable games seeing how Valve's Seambox will be announced soon.

post #4 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

That's exactly what it's supposed to do.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #5 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Apparently, to play on your TV in the living room, it streams directly from the PC to the wireless receiver connected to your TV, and the Shield itself is just used as a controller connected to the PC. With that being the case, I really just don't see the point for this thing. I mean, it's gotten people talking about it and the Tegra 4, so that's a huge win for Nvidia in itself, but other than that, I don't know.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6550/more-details-on-nvidias-tegra-4-i500-5th-core-is-a15-28nm-hpm-ue-category-3-lte

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #6 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting. In theory the unit would not become obsolete as PC tech requirements increase because it isn't handling the graphics or the processing.

Also, as internet speeds improve, you would be able to access your gaming library and play them at wifi hotspots outside of the house, and then maybe one day with a 7G cellular connection to play almost anywhere. Just a theory of course.

Hopefully they don't require that your PC has an nVidia GPU like PhysX and 3D Vision..

post #7 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Interesting. In theory the unit would not become obsolete as PC tech requirements increase because it isn't handling the graphics or the processing.
Also, as internet speeds improve, you would be able to access your gaming library and play them at wifi hotspots outside of the house, and then maybe pne day with a 7G cellular connection to play almost anywhere. Just a theory of course.
Hopefully they don't require that your PC has an nVidia GPU like PhysX and 3D Vision..

They do. You need a Kepler or better Geforce so that it can use that chip's encoding engine to encode the video on the fly.

post #8 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
From AT:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6564/hands-on-with-nvidias-project-shield-
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Anand and I just spent some time playing with NVIDIA's recently announced Project Shield, which is NVIDIA's portable handheld gaming device home to the also just-announced Tegra 4 SoC (4x ARM Cortex A15). I came away pretty impressed with Project Shield ergonomics after initially going in very skeptical (like GPU editor Ryan Smith) about how 38 watt-hours of batteries, a display, Tegra 4, and all the accompanying hardware could possibly feel comfortable stuffed into what boils down to a game controller.

First off, Shield isn't nearly as heavy as I thought it would feel in the hands. I expected Shield to feel very dense, instead the device doesn't feel much different from a wireless Xbox 360 controller with the rechargeable battery pack. I made a point of holding onto the Shield the entire time in a few different positions and didn't feel my hands or arms fatiguing at all. NVIDIA carefully positioned the batteries right around the palm areas, so the heaviest parts of the device are right in-axis with ones palms and arms rather than being elsewhere that would torque one's grip. There's something about the construction that feels balanced and masks the fact that this is actually a sizeable piece of hardware. Shield will have a soft touch bottom and different top texture finish, this first version we played with did not.

NVIDIA was eager to point out that both the D-Pad, triggers, and bumpers are all in the process of being tweaked and tuned, and that the spring preloads and click points on the Shields we played with were nowhere near final. This is good to hear as the D-Pad at present definitely needed to be less mushy and more communicative, we're told this will be replaced with a much more responsive one before Shield is finalized. I didn't have a problem with the analog sticks but would love to feel alignment nubs or texture on the domes.

My biggest thoughts were framed around the placement of the two analog sticks, which at present is places the tops of them in the plane of the buttons and D-Pad. This initially felt very alien, until I realized this is done because the display needs to close shut (the analog sticks would otherwise protrude through the screen) but felt a little bit awkward. I'm used to the 360 controller personally, which has analog sticks that protrude above the plane of the buttons. I can see one getting used to this as it feeling awkward is simply an artifact of my prior exposure and trained response to the 360 controller.

The 720p 5-inch "retinal" display indeed exceeded my visual acuity and was hard to pick out individual pixels on, though I still think there's too much bezel on Shield that should be taken up with more display. Something like a 5.5" 1080p display would make much more sense, but that's probably reserved for another iteration. The biggest concern is how smaller features on PC games played back on the Shield would be difficult to pick out. NVIDIA claims it will mitigate this by working with game developers on appropriate titles or offering a pinch to zoom feature to let users read small elements. Obviously some games with lots of text (they offered the example of EVE Online) can't possibly work perfectly, but I had no problems playing a few levels of Assassins Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 on Shield. I could see some H.264 artifacts while playing on Shield, higher bitrates could solve that problem easily.

Wireless connectivity on the Shield is courtesy Broadcom's latest BCM43241 which is 2x2:2 802.11a/b/g/n, which is the right thing to do in a platform that so strongly leverages wireless display and control. Responsivity while playing PC games on the Shield was extremely good, I couldn't detect any lag.

At the front of the Shield is a small gap and grille, it turns out that heatsink in the NVIDIA press event video was in fact real, as air is drawn from the front of the Shield, over the heatsink, and exhausted out the back. There is indeed a fan inside, albeit a small one. NVIDIA says it won't come on all the time during normal use, and after playing a few Android games natively (Hawken) on the device this seemed to be the case. One Shield left in the sun did have the fans kick on though, which are essentially inaudible. I didn't actually feel Shield get hot at all during use, but that heatsink wasn't just for show in the press event video/demo, it's real.

At the very back are the microSD, microHDMI, microUSB, and headphone jack. I'm told these are also changing slightly and would honestly like to see the headphone jack come around to the front.

What really struck me about the Shield was how very far from ergonomic the device appears, and yet how surprisingly comfortable it is to hold. NVIDIA nailed the underside ergonomics almost perfectly, there's a small ledge for your fingers to rest on, and the palm cups are indeed reminiscent of the 360 controller.

Android 4.2.1 on the Shield felt extremely responsive and fluid. I am very impressed with browser scrolling in both Chrome and Browser.apk, the latter of which is now a huge optimization target for NVIDIA. The rest of the UI was also very fluid. I should note that NVIDIA is not allowing benchmarking at present, so we can't say anything but just subjective impressions about Tegra 4 performance.

We recorded a video of gameplay on the Shield and are uploading it as fast as CES connectivity will afford.
post #9 of 76 Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Aaannnnndd the position of the joysticks ruins the whole thing for me. frown.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #10 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Aaannnnndd the position of the joysticks ruins the whole thing for me. frown.gif

Please forgive me if this is unreasonable or out of line, but "don't knock it 'til you try it". wink.gif I shed a couple tears the first time I was unable to replace my original Xbox "Duke" controller, but over time I got used to the S. Gam zeh yaavor.

Personally, I think it looks pretty cool, but I'll probably never buy it as I already can game on my TV via my computer with a controller or m+k. The draw for me is limited.
post #11 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Bass Enabler

I tried it about a decade ago when it was the Playstation 2 controller. *shudders* Nnnnoooo thank you.

Trust me, I had a hard time moving away from the duke to the "s" controller way back but at least the joysticks were in the same position and they still are today with the current 360 controller. That's the only comfortable layout for me. The "I have fingers an inch long" joysticks from all the Playstation controllers.... I.... I just can't do it. It's uncomfortable, it's unwieldy and I just can use them.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #12 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Man, that D-pad on there looks absolutely horrible.
post #13 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no interest in this thing at all myself, but I do wonder if part of the reason they used this layout is because they expect most Android games won't have analog joystick support, and will instead use the D-pad.

post #14 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your guess on how much this thing is going to cost ?
post #15 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

What is your guess on how much this thing is going to cost ?

10" Android tablets with the latest hardware are generally $400-500 (excluding models with 64GB+ storage or cellular contracts). 7" versions are usually $300-400. I would expect this device to fall at or below $300. But then this is NVIDIA, so $999.99. rolleyes.gif
post #16 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Bass Enabler

Lol! That sounds true. I vote ~$500 cuz I can't see it selling at all if it's any more than that.
nathanddrews likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #17 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lol! That sounds true. I vote ~$500 cuz I can't see it selling at all if it's any more than that.

Yeah, they can't really go too high. Next-gen consoles are on the way and will be $400, most likely. All the Shield does is play Android games or wirelessly interact with your already-expensive gaming rig. In reality, it's a WiiU for your PC. It doesn't actually play its own exclusive content (TWIMTBP notwithstanding). It's a pretty hard sell if it costs more than a next-gen console.

This is probably what NVIDIA thinks is its secret weapon: GRID
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html

NVIDIA, like everyone else, watched and waited on the sidelines while OnLive suffered and died just to introduce its own cloud gaming service.
post #18 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Said it won't be sold at a loss, so whatever cost of parts, plus a little markup.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #19 of 76 Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a feeling it's going to be like $399.99 or something crazy like that, which is a bit crazy because the new Xbox is coming this November for the same price.
post #20 of 76 Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I have a feeling it's going to be like $399.99 or something crazy like that, which is a bit crazy because the new Xbox is coming this November for the same price.

...If the rumors are true. Nothing has been announced about a new Xbox yet.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #21 of 76 Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

...If the rumors are true. Nothing has been announced about a new Xbox yet.

Nothing official. It's the same thing every time - the Internet pattern hasn't changed since late 90s. Rumors and leaks from manufacturers/employees ramp up. The company "doesn't comment" on rumors. New device is announed at a show. I'm actually surprised the 360 has lasted this long - EIGHT years!

Chances are that Microsoft is going to continue its subsidized pricing model and offer the console for less with a Live subscription. $400 on its own or $300 with Live @ $8/mo for 2 years. Cellular companies are making a killing, why not consoles?
post #22 of 76 Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

BL2 demo on the new unit:

post #23 of 76 Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

BL2 demo on the new unit:

Youtube video's apparently aren't working on avsforums. Try the direct link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF7V3h24w38

Quote:
nathandrews
Chances are that Microsoft is going to continue its subsidized pricing model and offer the console for less with a Live subscription. $400 on its own or $300 with Live @ $8/mo for 2 years. Cellular companies are making a killing, why not consoles?

It would be more like a $100-$200 console with a $20-$40 monthly price for 2 years. Cell phones make a killing because of the low entry level contract prices. By themselves what is a $600 cell phone costs $100 with a contract. If the consoles somehow cost above $500, I guarantee you they will go with subsidized pricing.
post #24 of 76 Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry about that; the post above has been fixed.

post #25 of 76 Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

look at how close that guys thumbs are to each other (in the video 3 posts above). How did that design make it that far ?
post #26 of 76 Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That was the first thing I noticed during game play. frown.gif

post #27 of 76 Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Shield can be yours for $350. Pre orders start May 20 for a June 2013 release:

Quote:
In January at CES 2013, NVIDIA surprised the crowd at its press conference with the reveal of Project SHIELD, an Android portable game console that could also stream Windows PC games on Steam. Today, NVIDIA revealed that the console has had a slight name change; it will now be called just SHIELD and it will be priced at $349.

NVIDIA's blog states that pre-orders for SHIELD will begin on May 20th to the general public but people who signed up to receive updates on the console's website have been given a way to start their pre-orders right now. The console will go on sale in June (no specific date yet) and will be available via several retailers, including Newegg, GameStop, Micro Center and Canada Computers.

The SHIELD console will be the first to have NVIDIA's Tegra 4 mobile processor with four CPU cores, 72 GPU cores and 2 GB of RAM. The console itself has a five-inch 720p display that's connected to a full sized game controller with dual analog joysticks, a full D-Pad, "left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons."

There's also 16 GB of storage, the latest version of the Android OS, a microSD slot, a mini-HDMI port, a micro-USB 2.0 port, support for WiFi and Bluetooth wireless and integrated speakers. The Steam game streaming support will be released in a beta version when the SHIELD console goes on sale and will require that the Steam PC to which the console connects has at least a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 desktop GPU or higher, along with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

post #28 of 76 Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If I could get it without the display for $250, I'd be sold instantly but I'm not too big on the clunky design with that 720p display attached to it. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to it and will give it a test drive when I can.
post #29 of 76 Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I kind of want one of these. But, you know, one that is well-designed and not ridiculously ugly.
post #30 of 76 Old 05-17-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 194
$350 for a handheld? Seriously? LOL.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page