HELP! New i5 3570k build with EVGA 660 2gb won't output 1080p Games through RX-A 3010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just did a new HTPC build with i5 3570k, an EVGA 660 2gb and 16gb DDR3, I have it running through a 10GBPS (so they say) Monoprice HDMI 8' cable to my Yamaha RX-A 3010, then through another Monoprice HDMI to a 60' Sharp Aquos 1080p 60hz. TV is only about 1.5 years old. The build is 99% just for movies, so I want to stick with HDMI for the digital sound. I have 2 problems..well, with my setup anyhow:

1. I tried to play the included Assassins 3 game, but it won't go over 720p (which is a default HORRIBLE resolution) over the HDMI. If I go through DVI, it will go to 1080p, but I obviously lose sound. I could switch cables or do some dual cable set up, but I want it to work over HDMI like it should, what am I missing?

2. I have been doing some serious forum surfing, only to fing that not only the 660 (entire 600 series) has tearing, as does the 7700 series! Starting to regret the upgrade. I have gotten the tearing nearly gone (I am a perfectionist) by using vsync of course, the newest stable driver and the LAV filters. Any other suggestions? I still catch one every once in a while on Hulu or Netflix.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Might be a dumb question, but have you tried connecting your htpc directly to your tv?
post #3 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Does the input you connect to the TV support 1080p? I remember some TV's that had limitations on certain inputs.

Also, when you say it won't go over 720p, where is it being restricted? Through game settings, through the GPU driver settings? Is your TV taking a 1080p signal and converting it to 720p?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have added this info, 1080P videos through MPC-HC, or dvd/Bluray drive are no problem, slight tearing but still looking for optimal settings...all game settings have been tweaked and re tweaked. So long story short, videos/movies look about 95% as good as they should. If I could get rid of the tearing, I would be happy.

Assassins creed looks like crap unless I use a DVI cable.....which I don't want to or shouldn't have to do.

I am bummed because it is no better than the Q6600 and 9800GT setup it is retiring. Ughh...add in the tearing and it is actually worse! mad.gif
post #5 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehenya View Post

I have been doing some serious forum surfing, only to fing that not only the 660 (entire 600 series) has tearing, as does the 7700 series! Starting to regret the upgrade. I have gotten the tearing nearly gone (I am a perfectionist) by using vsync of course, the newest stable driver and the LAV filters. Any other suggestions? I still catch one every once in a while on Hulu or Netflix.
Thanks!

Checking - vsync is applied at the driver level (in the NVIDIA control panel on the desktop), and have selected ON, not Adaptive? Also, dumb suggestion, but check the PC's desktop resolution in the NVIDIA control panel and make sure you are at 1920x1080 native resolution.

I have a 670, and with vsync on I get no tearing anywhere and no problems with 1080p in any game directly to a TV.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm making a big assumption that you have a Virtu-enabled motherboard with its own HDMI port in addition to the HDMI port on your NVIDIA card. Do you have Virtu (Virtual GPU/IGP software) running? Technically both the HD4000 IGP and the GTX660 should have no issues playing back 1080p, but it's possible that if the IGP is processing the video, then the NVIDIA settings would be moot. Try disabling the IGP in BIOS and using only the 660, then try only using the IGP and see if anything improves. It's worth a shot, I guess.

The alternative would be to run the output from your PC at 1080p@24Hz (or 23.9...) instead of 60Hz and see if anything improves. I dunno. I had a lot of problems initially with my RX-A3000 and everything seemed to work itself out over time with driver updates and such. I genuinely wish you luck as it was extremely frustrating for a while. You'd think that 7 years into the life of Blu-ray and more than 10 years into 1080p video, we wouldn't be experiencing this kind of sh*t.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Also, are you running Windows 7 or 8? Are you using the Aero theme or classic theme? With Aero disabled, VSync won't work on 2-D applications on NVIDIA hardware. AFAIK, it's an NVIDIA driver issue that has never been resolved.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips guys, but so far I think we are all on the same page. I am running Windows 7 with Aero enabled. It has a 7.7 rating to boot! I came across that one in the Geforce Forums... I thought it was weird that that can throw it off. There was JUST a firmware update last night for the Yamaha!! It didn't help though. I did try lowering it to 1080p and all the different HZ that were available for the game, nothing worked. I could try it on the card output, but that will drop the framerate of everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Checking - vsync is applied at the driver level (in the NVIDIA control panel on the desktop), and have selected ON, not Adaptive? Also, dumb suggestion, but check the PC's desktop resolution in the NVIDIA control panel and make sure you are at 1920x1080 native resolution.

I have tried both, most of the forums say leave it set to "ON", so I did set it as an OVERALL setting, not just in the game or explorer (one tab is on an individual basis).
This stinks! From everything I have read the entire NVidea 6000 series has this issue in a lot of cases, and so does the AMD 7000 series! There has to be a fix out here somewhere! I have a business trip for a couple days now, then I have to decide whether to keep the card and wait for a driver update that fixes it, or send it back and try something else.
Hard to focus on work when your HTPC isn't working right!! LOL
post #9 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I'm still not clear on what the exact problem is. Sounds like you get 1080p video but not game res? Or you do get the 1080p game, you're just not happy with the results?

When you say Assassins Creed won't go over 720p, how are you determining this? The option to set it above is not there? It is there and it won't let you set it? It's set to 1080p but it's down-converting somewhere? I'm completely lost by your descriptions...

Then your last comment you say using the card input, leading me to believe you are using the HDMI on the motherboard and not the video card, lowers the frame rate. I think Nathan was right, that sounds like you are using the HDMI of your motherboard, which would mean you are using the on chip GPU on your i5.

Maybe I'll just stay out of it, I stopped buying nvidia GPUs after my 8800gtx. Could be an nvidia thing I just have no experience with.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #10 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Then your last comment you say using the card input, leading me to believe you are using the HDMI on the motherboard and not the video card

Yrd brings up an important note - make sure you are connecting the HDMI cable to the video card's connector, and not the motherboard HDMI.

post #11 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not a noob to PC's or HT but I Guess I didn't describe this well enough in my frustration, sorry. I have been trying to get everything done before I hit my heavy workload for a few days. I upgraded everything so I could clean up my HTPC area and just run HDMI. Yes the HDMI is being ran through the GeForce 660, not the MB, with a 10GBPS+ monoprice HDMI cable.

I DO get 1080P video through HDMI, and great sound, but I am getting screen tearing EVEN with Vsync turned to ON globally on the GeForce and playing with the various VSYNC options in Media Player Classic. I have gotten to an almost subtle tear, but you still see them once in a while. The point is, I never once had a tear on my 9800gt!
I have the receiver set to PASS THROUGH for the video signal, so it shouldn't be processing anything.

If I load up Assassins Creed using the same HDMI setup as above the TV and receiver both have a pop up that shows the signal changed to 720p, but it looks REALLY BAD. I can hardly read the words, but manage to muddle around and find the graphics settings....no matter what setting I use, it still looks the same, even at 1080p 60HZ, 24HZ, doesn't matter. Fullscreen, but really fuzzy! The game does a little refresh when you exit the screen, but I have even closed out the game entirely, the settings ARE holding, etc...just always looks like crap.

If I use a DVI cable through the Geforce 660) the picture looks fine, but 1080p in a box in the middle of the TV, like something still isn't right about the resolution I loose the digital audio obviously. Besides, the card is supposed to handle it! If I go from the video card to the TV with the HDMI, I would lose the digital audio to the receiver and it defeats the HTPC clean up idea (all HDMI inputs to the receiver, 1 out to the TV.).

I hope this is a better description, I am ready to send the card back if this isn't resolved by the weekend.....but it sounds like the 7000 series AMD cards have the same tearing issues. Maybe I will just throw the 9800 into this one and call it a day.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

A couple other things you could try, in no particular order (I'm mixing and matching solutions for both games and videos):

1. Connect the 660 directly to the TV using HDMI - bypass the Yamaha. Is the problem still present? (If not, then maybe you need to run one HDMI cable to the TV (video) and a second HDMI cable to the Yamaha (audio) in order to get the results you seek). At least this will help you identify what exactly is the problem - the card or the Yamaha. (my RX-A3000 was VERY picky as to which signals it would accept or pass)

2. In the NVIDIA driver panel under video settings, set control of edge enhancement and noise reduction to NVIDIA, not the player. It shouldn't matter what scale you use, just try it and see if it changes anything. If not, try the color settings too and check the inverse telecine box. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work.

3. Try turning on 1080p upscaling/processing on the Yamaha instead of passthrough and see if it changes.

4. Custom resolutions/timings. You might have to make a custom 1080p resolution in the NVIDIA control panel somewhere between 59-61Hz or a 60Hz signal with specific timings.

5. Try a shorter HDMI cable between the 660 and Yamaha - a high quality 3ft if possible. *grasping at straws*
post #13 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

A couple other things you could try, in no particular order (I'm mixing and matching solutions for both games and videos):
1. Connect the 660 directly to the TV using HDMI - bypass the Yamaha. Is the problem still present? (If not, then maybe you need to run one HDMI cable to the TV (video) and a second HDMI cable to the Yamaha (audio) in order to get the results you seek). At least this will help you identify what exactly is the problem - the card or the Yamaha. (my RX-A3000 was VERY picky as to which signals it would accept or pass)
2. In the NVIDIA driver panel under video settings, set control of edge enhancement and noise reduction to NVIDIA, not the player. It shouldn't matter what scale you use, just try it and see if it changes anything. If not, try the color settings too and check the inverse telecine box. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work.
3. Try turning on 1080p upscaling/processing on the Yamaha instead of passthrough and see if it changes.
4. Custom resolutions/timings. You might have to make a custom 1080p resolution in the NVIDIA control panel somewhere between 59-61Hz or a 60Hz signal with specific timings.
5. Try a shorter HDMI cable between the 660 and Yamaha - a high quality 3ft if possible. *grasping at straws*

I get back Thursday and will try #2 and 4 (it's at 60 now), thank you!
For number 3, the upscaling was on when all this started, so I turned it off, I will give it another try though.
I will move the PC in front of the receiver and try the shortest HDMI I can.
I did try #1 right before I left, switched inputs on the TV and that is where I got Assassins creed in 1080p, but centered in the screen. I will play with this one some more as well, but it still defeats the purpose of a 1080P capable card cleaning up my cables to 1 HDMI per device. Does the frame rate or HZ lower by doing it this way?
post #14 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I use a DVI cable through the Geforce 660) the picture looks fine, but 1080p in a box in the middle of the TV, like something still isn't right about the resolution

This sounds like the video card is sending 720p to a 1080p TV set at 1:1, or I think Samsung calls it "just scan".

Not sure if you answered, but is Assassin's Creed III video options set to output 1920 x 1080? Or is this option not available?

post #15 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like running dual cables to the TV is the fix for people who have issues w/ 3D as well. Not many other options from what I can find.
This is a pretty good read:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1251962/the-3d-via-a-hdmi-1-3-av-receiver-thread/240
post #16 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have ran AC at 1920x1080 in all three of the HZ settings that the game has available. (60, and 2 less than that I don't remember). Currently at 60HZ.
Yrd likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Does your normal desktop display at 1080p through this setup you're trying to achieve? Also we know you want to have just HDMI, the suggestions to try other connections are to determine what the cause of the problem is. Maybe it's not the card, or cable, but the TV or receiver. To me it sounds like a setting/driver issue. I dont have any experience with current nvidia drivers. Does the system detect your display or receiver when connected with HDMI? AMD drivers have an option to set the compatible resolutions for my display, I would assume the same is available for nvidia. Try removing any of the weird resolutions, if there are any.

I don't think just scan would fix what hes describing. It's for overscan. It sounds like the picture is showing either an incompatible resolution or it's converting the image somewhere.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #18 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

The TV picks up 1080p on the desktop immediately through HDMI in the current config. I have heard from home the last 2 days that the PC has rebooted twice on it's own, shut down 2 other times and froze twice. Maybe the 660 actually has an issue! I am running a Thermaltake 850w PSU, an i5 (not overclocked yet, but watercooled, running at 29-30C) . I am going to pull the 660 as soon as I get home and see if it stops, it's not overclocked either if I didn't mention that.
I can't catch a break on this.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Here is an update...I figured out why the game wasn't displaying!! To use the media center, I have to enlarge the text dpi to 200%. Even though everything else works, that way, the game would not open properly until I changed it back (even with DPI scaling turned off) !! Now the games open in 1080P and at the correct size. Tearing is still the same however, and I have to change the DPI back to be able to read anything from the couch.

Now if I could just eliminate the tearing and figure out why the 660 keeps making it reboot! Temp still seems good, and not overclocking. mad.gif
post #20 of 25 Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
I'm curious if you found a solution. I have the same card and game with hdmi direct to the tv. AC3 is the ony game I can't run in 1080p. Have not tried the latest nVidia drivers but suspect the problem is with the game. Ubisoft is one of the worst companies with respect to patching so I'm glad it was free. On your tearing issue I've found the adaptive v-synch works well in Skyrim.

lol. I was writing this at the same time you were updating the thread. Have to try what you suggest as I'm using the same 200% setting. Time for the 65" upgrade.
post #21 of 25 Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

As soon as I reduced the text DPI back to 100% the game opened fine and in the right resolution. I hope that helps you! Worked great!
No real fix for the tearing yet though....
post #22 of 25 Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Here is an update...I figured out why the game wasn't displaying!! To use the media center, I have to enlarge the text dpi to 200%. Even though everything else works, that way, the game would not open properly until I changed it back (even with DPI scaling turned off) !! Now the games open in 1080P and at the correct size. Tearing is still the same however, and I have to change the DPI back to be able to read anything from the couch.

Now if I could just eliminate the tearing and figure out why the 660 keeps making it reboot! Temp still seems good, and not overclocking. mad.gif

I played AC3 on the PS3 and found it to be quite buggy so this isn't really surprising to me. Fall through the map yet? See the trees and flagpoles that are 3 feet above the ground?

Some of the alternatives to media center(xbmc and mediaportal) have skins that have increased text size without adjusting your dpi settings.

It has been a while since I owned a Nvidia card but the control panel only shows the gpu temp? If this is the case I would download gpu-z and make sure nothing else is overheating(like vrm's).
post #23 of 25 Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Some of the alternatives to media center(xbmc and mediaportal) have skins that have increased text size without adjusting your dpi settings.

It has been a while since I owned a Nvidia card but the control panel only shows the gpu temp? If this is the case I would download gpu-z and make sure nothing else is overheating(like vrm's).

I have CPU-Z and the NVidea tools showing all the temps.....watching close and nothing is even getting close to being hot. I am trying the dreaded 310 driver now. Works a little better for the media, but still getting some tears! I don't know whether to keep it or not......
post #24 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Not CPU-Z, GPU-Z. I promise you it will show more temps than Nvidia does.

For a machine that keeps restarting I normally look at the power supply and the memory first. I would check event viewer and see why it is restarting and if that doesn't show anything I would go down to 1 stick of memory and see if that fixes it.

If this is 99% for movies and your old card didn't cause tearing in movies then I would say return it. The next generation of gpu's is getting ready to launch so if it isn't fixed yet, then good luck. If you are convinced this is a common issue among all current gpu's then get one from last gen. A 570 or 6970 should be at least as fast as the 660...
post #25 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

OK, GPU-Z, CPU-Z, the NVidea soft all showing low normal temps......
Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3010 Receiver
Gear in this thread - A3010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page