Will you head back to the consoles, or double down on PC gaming ? Fall 2013 - The Great Decision - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 370 Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I'm an early adopter (at least in gaming) so I got both Xbox One and PS4, and I've been meaning to write my thoughts in this thread. redface.gif

The PS4 is a simple gaming PC console that IMO gets it right. Great controller, and makes playing games easy. Blasting through Assassin's Creed IV on PS4 hasn't left me wishing I got the PC version, and for that I'm thankful. In addition to AC4, I got Killzone, Knack and Resogun - all of which represent solid console gaming and I've been very satisfied with each. The only issue I have with the PS4 is drive noise, which, because the games are installed to the hard drive, goes away after a couple minutes after the disc check. And there's been some system heat issues with certain games that cause the system's cooling fan to spin a little louder than I like on occasion. I have had one lock-up when a game was idle, so I hope that's a fluke. The remote-play ability with the Vita is pretty fantastic!

Xbox One hasn't been used nearly as much. It's not that I don't like it, but what it does beyond the PS4 (voice control and TV integration) has been somewhat frustrating, and left me feeling like it's unnecessary. The controller is nice, and the hardware seems nicely designed and is, for the most part, silent. Forza plays great, but is the only game I bought for the system. I hear Ryse is better than reported, so might try that as my next game. The Kinect is impressive hardware - Skype is amazing on it, the Fitness programs are better than expected, and the Kinect Sports Rivals demo is really fun and engaging. That said, I don't have a strong desire to do any of those... I simply want to relax in my comfy chair and play games, which Forza shows the XB1 does well, but so does the PS4 - maybe a little better.

But to be fair, I have the PS4 upstairs in my gaming room, hooked up to the same TV as my PC, with my comfy gaming chair, so it's usually the place I go when I want to game. The XB1 is downstairs in my modest HT, which is the TV/movie viewing area, and I don't game there much anymore. The wife requested the Kinect to be unplugged when not in use, so I honor that, even leaving it unplugged when using the XB1. If I swapped positions, maybe I would favor the other console? Dunno. I might bring the XB1 into the gaming room and put an old 360 and/or PS3 back in the HT over Christmas to find out.

All in all, I really don't need any of the new consoles, but a console is nice to have. I really really don't need both, and it seems at this moment I favor the PS4 because it gives me what I want in a console - no frills, frustration-free top of the line gaming experience.
Hawkwing and barrelbelly like this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 370 Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 749
We got a WiiU for the living room this year. PS3 is pretty much a bluray player at this point. My smartv is doing an excellent job streaming local files and our netflix use is WAY down with the kid in the house. In my office I use Steam, a 360 controller, and some headphones. The 360 sits connected but never on.

There just aren't any titles that pull me yet. Titanfall will be PC and that leaves Destiny to get me in on the consoles so no rush here. I'm excited for the new Mario on WiiU even though it's pretty much a "dead" console at this time.
barrelbelly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #363 of 370 Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Also I've been listening to a podcast called Back In My Play and they've gone back to old hardware and games and are doing a retrospective. Some of the music on those NES carts is amazing. I'm sort of wanting to get some emulation going.

Steam: Guts
post #364 of 370 Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 667
None of the PS4 or Xbox One games I've seen can compete with what my fourth gen I7 and GTX670 can do.

I just picked up Tomb Raider on PC and with all options maxed - Consoles only wish they could match it.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #365 of 370 Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post

Can a console do this?]

Sure, $1000 worth of GFX cards in SLI without any other associated costs.

tongue.gif

Contrary to popular belief, the most bad ass PC's have always been a good step ahead of the consoles even at launch. The question is and always will be how much do you want to pay and tinker.

smile.gif

This is not true.

The original Xbox had a video card that was actually better than anything on the consumer market when it was released.

But also in effect - the Xbox360 and PS3 when they were released had better looking games than anything on the PC market at that time --- even if the hardware wasn't as fast. God of War 3 and Kameo are still steerling examples of this. When I played Kameo on my launch day Xbox 360 my jaw dropped to the floor at times. The graphics were gorgeous and as a long time PC player with very relevant current hardware at the time, I was very impressed. God of War on PS3 was the same way -- there were certain area - like Hades - where you just had to stop and think - Dang - this looks good.

As noted in the previous post - I don't think the consoles have a leg up on PC at this release. I probably won't buy either console unless they really start releasing some great games. Why should I? The hardware is the same on these and a PC - meaning that we'll be getting the games for PC and they'll look better because modern PC's are significantly better than the console specs from Day 1? My Xbox360 wired controller works great on PC. I'm playing Tomb Raider right now and it's really got some great graphics - It looks like an Nvidia tech demo in game play! (I know I'm a few months behind just picking up Tomb Raider now).

At any rate...Steam is fantastic on PC and I'd take Steam and a decent HTPC over a console at this point pretty easily.

The only standout of interest to me is the Xbox One's Kinnect. If it's implemented well after some revisions - it could be pretty great for party games.

post #366 of 370 Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

None of the PS4 or Xbox One games I've seen can compete with what my fourth gen I7 and GTX670 can do.

I just picked up Tomb Raider on PC and with all options maxed - Consoles only wish they could match it.

The Tomb Raider Definitive Edition claims to have better graphics and more importantly physics than the current version. And as of right now, it's only coming to PS4 and Xbox One.

Don't get me wrong. I do think the PC could do everything the consoles can do. But don't underestimate them either.

post #367 of 370 Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

marketing nonsense.

Here is the nearly year old version on PC with current hardware.

Watch the trailer linked for next gen consoles and then watch some of the footage on the PC version.

PC version wins.

post #368 of 370 Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm not saying it's not marketing and did say they claim to have better.... But thats what I hate about trailers. Once we can see real game play videos we will really be able to compare. I was just pointing out that the new consoles are at least trying to match the PC version of that particular game.

post #369 of 370 Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Compairing the two trailers? I hate youtube. They both look like sh... I've played the game and those videos make the game look horrible.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #370 of 370 Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I deleted my comment about "Net Neutrality" in this thread and started its own thread. It only tangentially related to this thread. In the sense that I felt the console manufacturers were making a blatantly naked power grab to force 100% of gamers into a prohibitively high cost format. While I feel a superior format for games and VR exists with Disk storage media of all types. But these kind of shenanigans was one of the major reasons I got so turned off by the new consoles...and passed on both.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page