Will you head back to the consoles, or double down on PC gaming ? Fall 2013 - The Great Decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 370 Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I'm sure that many of the guys here are hardcore PC gamers, and they are in it for the long haul. Of course, there are probably other guys, that are more like me. Console rejects that left the comfy confines of the console world, to step into the realm of PC gaming. For me and others, I'm sure that this generation has dragged on for a very long time, and we had an itch that we needed to scratch. We built a gaming PC, in lieu of no new consoles since 2006 (PS3).

It's been a long, long time with just the Xbox 360 and PS3 (and Wii), so it's hard not to imagine early adopter console type gamers getting a bit bored with the same ol same ol. So, some of us heard the chatter about the "PC Master Race", and we figured that we might as well see how the other side lived. So, we built a decent gaming rig, and started playing our games in "true" 1080p, with 60 frames or more. The improvement was definitely there, but it wasn't a total night and day proposition.

Fast forward to 2013, and we are still enjoying the spoils of our gaming PC's, but our champions are about to return. Most likely a new Xbox system is coming, as well as a PS4. Both to be introduced at e3 and launched in November. The whole reason some of us built our gaming PC's, was that we got tired of waiting for "next-gen" to get here again. We wanted to see something new and cool. Well, Next-Gen is finally coming. Now, the way I see it, there are 3 choices we can make....

Choice 1 - Buy a new console (or two), and return to the realm of simplified gaming (although PC gaming is pretty simple nowadays) It will cost about $400 or more, but the good news, is that you really won't have to think about new hardware for at least 4 or 5 years. You can forget about upgrading any PC hardware for a long while, and basically just migrate the vast majority of your gaming back to the console world.

Choice 2 - Why put $400 or more into a console, when you can save that money, and use it in 2014 for a video card that will make your PC games look even better than the exact same games coming out on PS4 and Xbox Next. Sure, there are going to be console exclusives that don't show up on PC for a very long time (some even never ?), but those will be few and far between. Most of the huge games will hit PC, and you'll be playing them at a higher level of fidelity. Plus, you'll be paying less for your games (long term), than the console guy, as PC games normally dip in price much faster than the console counterparts.

Choice 3 - Buy new consoles and new graphics cards ! Well, if you got the money to burn, then I guess just don't compromise at all. Still buy the new consoles, but at the same time, why not upgrade your PC rig as well. Get the best of both worlds and enjoy the multiplatform games on PC, running at an even higher performance level, and enjoy the exclusive console games on the Next Gen systems as well. The more the merrier! Hey, nobody said this was an inexpensive hobby...

For me, I can't decide between Choice 1 and Choice 2. I'm not overflowing with money, so I don't think I'll be making choice 3. I think what I might do, is go ahead and jump on one of the console bandwagons, see how it is over there for a year or so, and then re-evaluate the situation. I think I'm going to let my PC gaming rig's stay at the level they currently are, and just look to the new consoles for the cutting edge stuff for a bit, then I can return to the PC realm once the dust settles in 2015....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
We don't know what the next Playstation or the next Xbox are offering. Therefore...

Pointless thread is pointless.
post #3 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 13
I am sticking with PC. I just built a new rig.

I played Black Ops II over the Thanksgiving break on the Xbox and found that I much, much, prefer a keyboard and mouse.
It's would be fun to play against the family and I still might.

There's a device that allows you to hook up a mouse and keyboard to an Xbox. Been mulling it over but the company doesn't offer much support.
It would be fun owning them (13-40 year olds back across the country) and not telling them I was on a mouse and keyboard....
Mikeclough24 likes this.
post #4 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I also set aside the consoles to return to PC gaming over Christmas '12. Heck, I got a copy of Halo 4 and Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault still in the shrink-wrap.

But I'll be getting the rumored next-gen consoles day 1 when available because... that's what I do. tongue.gif It's stupid, but it's what I obsess over so I just go with it.

I'm really enjoying playing graphically enhanced versions of games I've already played on the consoles, even with the occasional crash. Although PC gaming still distracts with chasing framerates, fighting odd setup configurations, and finding the best visual experience for the rig it's played on - all instead of playing. That might be simply getting used to a new build, and the thrill of it.

But the main thing I like about PC gaming now is Steam's (and others) delivery service, and those great sales! Can't get anything like that on consoles.
post #5 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I plan on building a gaming PC, but without knowing what the next gen consoles are offering I can't say if/when I'm upgrading my PS3/360. I mean, I've been of the mindset that I wouldn't buy the next consoles until a few years, a pricedrop and the usual revised hardware ironing out any launch kinks, but I may wind up sufficiently impressed to abandon that mindset.

Simply put, right now who knows?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #6 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
For me, PC gaming is a "return" rather than a migration. I've been gaming on PC since the early '90s. And while I've always had at least one console around for exclusives (usually a Nintendo console), this latest console generation is the first one where I went exclusively console, and it was the first time I had all available major consoles and no gaming-capable PC.

For as many great console games as there have been over the past 5-6 years, I've been totally soured by the BS that the console platform holders pull: subscription fees, unreliable hardware, DLC, high game prices, few sales on digital games, etc. And I think it's only going to get worse. I am skeptical that I'll return to consoles in any big way. I may get one somewhere down the road once prices come down and I see some exclusives that I absolutely must play. The only thing I would miss out on are exclusives by Japanese developers (and work by Sony's great first-party studios), but even they seem to be testing out the PC waters these days.

Besides, with things like "Steambox," Ouya, and other PC-console hybrids on the horizon, I think the days of a separate "console" market are numbered.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #7 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I'm a gamer and like to own everything that can play a game I want to play. The new systems really have to grab me with some exclusives this cycle though. Because I'm in the same camp as conman. High prices, subscriptions, and the ilk are getting out of hand. I was an early adopter on every system up until ps3 and xbox. Was a long time until a price drop for ps3 when I bought. Xbox, I don't remember what prompted me to buy it, but it wasn't right away, maybe 6 months after release. I'll probably be waiting even longer this cycle. Never owned a Wii, the control thing was a gimmick and I didn't find anything fun about it after 5 minutes with a friend's system.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #8 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Fall 2013?? Is that based on anything or just pure speculation? I think if the new generation of consoles are announced this E3 we would be looking at a 2014 release (if that!). It just doesn't seem realistic that we would be 10 months away from a new console right now, and have not even heard hints or mentions of launch day games.

Aside from that... I think I am going to be side stepping the release day purchases of any new gen consoles this go round. The 360 and PS3 were really exciting in their day because it was ushering in a complete overhaul to the living room gaming experience with HD, 5.1 and online gaming (which wasn't new to consoles per se, but was becoming the bigger focus / standard). Now we're just looking at some power increases and not really any change to technology.to get hyped up on (aside from 1080p being standard I guess?). I can get my graphic fixes off PC gaming so it's not a big draw.

And I also agree with a lot of Cofidenceman's gripes. Hardware failures, xbl fee's, ridiculous amounts of dlc, nothing ever being on sale.

I'm just going to stick with Steam games for now Upgrade to mid-level vid card every few years. Wait for games to drop in price and get them during steam sales. etc etc

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #9 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
It's still WAY too early to tell but I'm pretty sure I'll stick to PC and avoid the new consoles. At this point I can't see that I'll be impressed with the hardware. It would be console exclusive titles that would have to sway my opinion and to be honest, I don't care about any of them.

I'll use that $400 to get another 670GTX. cool.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #10 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

Fall 2013?? Is that based on anything or just pure speculation? I think if the new generation of consoles are announced this E3 we would be looking at a 2014 release (if that!). It just doesn't seem realistic that we would be 10 months away from a new console right now, and have not even heard hints or mentions of launch day games.

New consoles are coming this year, lock it up. It's not 1998 anymore, companies cannot afford to announce a new system and sit on it for a year and a half. They will announce it at E3 and push it out. Nintendo did it for Wii U, MS did it for 360, etc.

As for why it's happening now and not next year, look at Christmas sales. Down 25%+.

As for what I am going to do, I doubt I will jump on board with a Microsoft console, only because their exclusive situation is really poor. It's basically Halo, Forza, and Kinect crud. I love Halo, not enough to buy a whole system for it.

Sony has interesting exclusives so I will probably get that at some point.

My PC is great now but the consoles will almost certainly change that. Right now developers are writing to 2005 hardware but if they are writing to the new consoles, it will take more powerful PC gear to catch up.

I'm still in wait-and-see mode.
post #11 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

For as many great console games as there have been over the past 5-6 years, I've been totally soured by the BS that the console platform holders pull: subscription fees, unreliable hardware, DLC, high game prices, few sales on digital games, etc. And I think it's only going to get worse.

All of those reasons are why I'm content to see how the next gen of console gaming develops. I wouldn't expect anything but a continuation of practices some of which I'm grown weary of. As it is I've got a huge backlog of games across PS3 / 360/ Wii /Vita /3ds and even older consoles like PS2/ Gamecube that I haven't played and would like to clear before I upgrade. If I buy any system this year it will likely be the Wii U as I do *still* have a soft spot for Nintendo's IPs and my son is a big fan of their franchises. And even in that scenario I'm prepared to wait till Black Friday and see what bundles are available.

What is going to make the transition to primarily PC gaming smooth for me is that both my closest friends are moving over as well.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #12 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

For as many great console games as there have been over the past 5-6 years, I've been totally soured by the BS that the console platform holders pull: subscription fees, unreliable hardware, DLC, high game prices, few sales on digital games, etc. And I think it's only going to get worse. I am skeptical that I'll return to consoles in any big way. I may get one somewhere down the road once prices come down and I see some exclusives that I absolutely must play. The only thing I would miss out on are exclusives by Japanese developers (and work by Sony's great first-party studios), but even they seem to be testing out the PC waters these days.

This is an interesting take. Yeah, if I return to the land of consoles, then I have to deal with all that bullcrap as well, and yes, it will probably get worse if anything.

Here's an interesting thought to ponder though... what if things start to go bad on PC as well ? One of the main reasons I'm really liking PC gaming is the prices of the games. The prices of the games normally start about 10 bucks cheaper, and they drop in price about twice as fast as console games, and then when Steam and Amazon and Green Man Gaming and all that start having their sales, you can get games at redonkulous prices. (like 5 bucks each if you can wait long enough).

Part of me wonders if this is going to continue forever. I know a big reason why the games get this cheap, this fast, is because of the piracy problem on PC. So many people pirate the games, that game companies feel like they have to drop the price very quickly to get the few honest customers that are still out there. Basically, they are trying to give people an incentive not to pirate, lol. It's like " If we make this crap cheap enough, then some people won't even bother to pirate the games, because it almost takes more effort than just paying 5 bucks". What if publishers are somehow able to get a grip on the piracy thing, then they might not be so interested in dropping the prices to fast. Also, in regards to Steam and the whole Steambox thing. If Steam gets "too" popular, I wonder if we will still see these unbelievable sales prices, once the mass market is onboard. Or will $19.99 become the new $5 ? Look at Microsoft on the Xbox. Remember when they had arcade games for $5, and a ton of games for $10. Seems like everything is $15 or more, because it's so mainstream now, that they can get away with it. While I personally think that $15 for most of those games isn't a very good deal, there are tons of Joe Schmoes, that think that 15 bucks is a screaming deal. That's the problem when things get too popular, and too mainstream. You get this huge influx of users that don't really know what a good deal is or isn't, and they are willing to pay way more than a cheap bastard like me.

I really think this is going to be a very interesting conundrum, because I don't have unlimited money to chase both avenues. I either need to stick with console gaming, and let my PC get old and stale, or I need to stick with PC, and say away from the consoles and save my money for the necessary PC upgrades, to stay slightly ahead of the curve. Doing both just seems a bit excessive (not to mention expensive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

We don't know what the next Playstation or the next Xbox are offering. Therefore...

We have a pretty good idea to what Xbox Infinity and PS4 are going to offer. We saw the trailers for Star Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs. We know what top of the line PC's are capable of. We know that those systems are at least going to bring that, if nothing else. We know that the next Xbox and PS4 are going to be running things for the most part in the home console world for the next 7 or 8 years. The question is, do you jump on board at jump street, or do you stay on the PC side of the block for awhile and maybe hop on board down the road ..
post #13 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I only have a Xbox 360 and only bought 2 new and a handfull of used games for it in 2012. I'm pretty much entrenched in pc gaming now. I doubt I'll go back to consoles anytime soon. Especially considering how expensive they are the first couple years of their lifespan.

Quote:

They'll offer the same AAA games that will appear on the pc, probably a little earlier though. And some exclusives, although not as many as will be on the pc.
Quote:

Just like your post. If you didn't want to contribute to the thread, you're free not to post in it.
post #14 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Here's an interesting thought to ponder though... what if things start to go bad on PC as well ? One of the main reasons I'm really liking PC gaming is the prices of the games. The prices of the games normally start about 10 bucks cheaper, and they drop in price about twice as fast as console games, and then when Steam and Amazon and Green Man Gaming and all that start having their sales, you can get games at redonkulous prices. (like 5 bucks each if you can wait long enough).
We're on the verge of seeing a whole new crop of well-funded and low-priced competitors enter into the console market (Valve, Ouya, other Android-based devices, etc.).

We're in the midst of an industry-wide opening up of the market (and an accompanying drop in prices across the board). Yes, there will be lots more ways for companies to make even more money (through things like subscriptions), but they won't continue to be tied to particular console platforms (like XBL subs). The "core" gaming consoles, of course, will continue to wall themselves off, but they'll be fighting over a single slice of the much larger gaming industry pie. wink.gif
Quote:
Part of me wonders if this is going to continue forever. I know a big reason why the games get this cheap, this fast, is because of the piracy problem on PC.
Many PC devs don't believe this. Piracy is mostly just a scare tactic to justify consumer-unfriendly business tactics. The reason prices are low on PC is because there's no overhead, no storefronts, no distribution, etc., etc. Valve took a major gamble in instituting a very radical business strategy, and it's paid off for them and for many of their publishing partners (which is also why EA, MS, and Ubisoft have finally started to fight for that market). It has little, if anything, to do with piracy. It's a profitable business model that's well suited to the post-crash economy.

The console platforms (and their biggest publishing partners) have tied themselves to a sinking ship IMO. And they'll either adapt to the new Valve/Apple way of doing business, or they'll petrify and die. It's nothing to do with piracy. It's business. The Wii U's disappointing sales numbers may be the canary in the coalmine.

Anyhow, my two cents.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #15 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouya is junk and Valve's stuff will not be cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman 
Valve took a major gamble in instituting a very radical business strategy, and it's paid off for them and for many of their publishing partners (which is also why EA, MS, and Ubisoft have finally started to fight for that market).

Valve's system also has very restrictive DRM, but here's the thing, people don't care if the price is low enough and it is convenient enough. It does tie into piracy. Apple proved you can turn illegal users into legal ones by offering convenience and price.

Remember, Steam started as a way for Valve to basically control the pipeline for Half-Life 2, and they weren't selling that for $5. The first big Steam sale wasn't until 2008 or 2009. Big third parties weren't on the service for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman 
Many PC devs don't believe this. Piracy is mostly just a scare tactic to justify consumer-unfriendly business tactics.

I don't agree with this. It's actually a very real thing. A lot of even small indie developers complain about it. They look at their logs and see 95% of people stealing their products, but there's nothing they can do.

It's not just the stealing, it's the fact that a lot of these people end up talking crap about the game, asking support questions, filing bugs, etc. Every once in a while some dumb loser makes a post to a support forum asking why his game is doing some weird thing and people respond that is what happens to pirated copies. It sucks.

The rise of F2P/MMO, etc. I see as a response to piracy. A game like Planetside 2 coming out for free is a way that SOE can try to make money without making sure that only legitimate users are using their product. I think that F2P will figure into both consoles prominently. Planetside 2 launch game on PS4 prominently.
post #16 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I'm pretty much entrenched in pc gaming now. I doubt I'll go back to consoles anytime soon.

Same here. I don't play nearly as many games as I used to, and the PC has plenty of software to keep me happy (we better get a PC version of GTA V, though). It certainly helps that I've always loved upgrading/building machines and configuring software exactly the way I want it.
post #17 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 960
post #18 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I'll buy all the consoles. Why not, it will give me something to do lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #19 of 370 Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My .03 cents:

1) Sony - I no longer care, I wouldn't touch their launch hardware. Their exclusive properties are mostly dead to me (Gran Turismo! DEAD TO ME!), God of War and Killzone maybe.... but I'm not dropping $$$ on Sony Hardware to play another beat em up or FPS.

2) Nintendo - The last Nintendo system that made me take notice was my SNES.

3) Microsoft - This would be the company I throw my money at, but I'll need an "oh my god its more real than real and FUN too" driving game and some system-exclusive FPS's or 3rd person action games to hook me. Gears of War and Halo are two properties I do NOT enjoy however,
so I'm guessing I'll be sitting this launch out.

I have thrown money at my PC in recent years ($800 in video cards keeps me happy for now) and the direct download games drop in price much quicker than the console discs do, the *only* reason I game on consoles now besides Exclusives though is for the games I play Online in CoOp mode. And that is almost never.

My friends and I always have the best of intentions however. We buy the games with Co-Op mode for $9.99 used because they are all 2+ years old, and sometimes we even play for an hour or two and go "Hey this is cool!". Then, a year goes by and.....

wink.gif

SO: I'm taking a back seat on the next round of console launches. If anything truly spectacular shows up, I'll reconsider...but right now.....I have FAR more games than time, and since everything that I own now plays games of SOME kind, its easy to get "gamed out".

I fully expect my next Fridge or clothes Dryer to have a touchscreen controller....that plays Angry Birds. :P

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #20 of 370 Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I'm taking a back seat on the next round of console launches. If anything truly spectacular shows up, I'll reconsider...but right now.....I have FAR more games than time, and since everything that I own now plays games of SOME kind, its easy to get "gamed out".

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. Still, you have to admit, 2013 is going to be a very exciting year finally, on the hardware front. Those e3 press conferences are going to be 1,000 times more interesting than the last few years...
post #21 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 3041
I've had the PS3 twice and the iPad twice. I sold both platforms on eBay after a some months of (admittedly enjoyable) gameplay - twice. Meanwhile my HTPC's power continues to grow. This year I switched to DIY PCs. Last week I could have bought a console or another iPad but instead I upgraded my video card and power supply. The benefits of investing in a powerhouse PC really outweigh what the consoles offer IMO. In my case, since I use photoshop for my job any money spent on speed and graphics results in a productivity increase. It's a virtuous circle and I prefer to keep investing in that ecosystem. Liquid cooling, silent fans, fast RAM & CPU + a decent video card - it's a combination that really shames the consoles and I don't see the next generation changing that balance.

'll probably grab the next iPad, I sold the last one because I was so addicted to Tower Madness, I couldn't do anything else with it, rendering that iPad worthless. I think I've recovered and I can avoid a relapse. Now I play Need for Speed: Most Wanted on the PC and it looks/sounds sublime. 145 hours of pleasure so far, well worth the money.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #22 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea I admit I am kind of thinking of building a great, liquid-cooled PC and all that next time around. I have an Alienware X51 and it is fantastic (i7-2600, GTX 660ti) but tinkering around is sometimes fun. I finally have the money to buy nice components, so we'll see in a year or two.

I have an iPad (mini) but I don't use it much for games. For surfing the web, reading notes, etc., it's far better than a computer.
post #23 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

No huge surprise we have the same video card. Does everything I need it to on my single 55" display, a 3D Vizio. Considering the money I spend on other things, I really ought to take the plunge and get the i7 3970X - I keep thinking the price might drop but so far no luck. You only live once, I want to have a 'pinnacle' performance PC for some slice of that life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Yea I admit I am kind of thinking of building a great, liquid-cooled PC and all that next time around. I have an Alienware X51 and it is fantastic (i7-2600, GTX 660ti) but tinkering around is sometimes fun. I finally have the money to buy nice components, so we'll see in a year or two.

I have an iPad (mini) but I don't use it much for games. For surfing the web, reading notes, etc., it's far better than a computer.

post #24 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Seriously? Come on man, it's called discussion. What we do know is the new consoles will offer something the old won't, in addition to new entries in popular game series not available on the pc so I think this thread is anything but pointless. Thanks for the input though I guess.

As for me I found myself wanting to get back into consoles after I got rid of them and went PC exclusive a few years back. There were just too many games that while I could obviously have gotten by without ever playing chose not to. I enjoy my PS3 as a BD player in the bedroom as well so it works out. I can play older PSX games when I want which actually has turned out to be important to me. I'm hoping to get more of the same with the PS4 as I'd like to keep playing older PSX and maybe PS2 games as well should they be available on PSN this next go-around. As for the next Xbox it's more about MS exclusives than anything. I like Halo, love Forza, and want to see what they can do with their franchises this next round. If some of the rumors of what Kinect 2 will be pan out I think it will be too interesting to totally ignore. I'll probably be there on day one for both systems. I've chosen to pass on the WiiU though so it will be my PC and new Xbox and PSwhatever. I'll probably be due for a gfx card update by this fall anyway and I usually get the itch to refit my PC every year so this will be right around the time I normally do it (assuming they launch this fall).
post #25 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the PS2 was the last time I did a launch purchase. I was too invested in PC gaming to divert funds initially for the 360 or the PS3. I ended up getting a 360 in 2007 and a PS3 in 2011. I can look back and regret not getting the PS3 sooner, its exclusive games are very good and I still haven't caught up which is really the hardest part. I can go buy all three consoles and keep my PC gaming going but how do you keep up with game releases?

I'm a long time hardcore gamer and the releases are so rapid fire now. They all come in the same month, and so your left trying to keep up with friends, work, family. I haven't even touched Skyrim yet! I have an un-opened copy of Final Fantasy X-2 from a year ago (I only play for the combat), and I haven't had a chance to play Arkham City.

I like the simplicity of consoles, you press a power button and the game starts and you sit back and relax. With PC gaming, until Steam became much more popular it was a lot of tweaking and driver updates, hardware updates, etc. Yeah the graphics are amazing but there is a tradeoff of simplicity. I know that sounds lazy but after building custom gaming PCs for 16 years now, I'm a little tired. Plus keeping the HTPC running smoothly for the HT room.

With all that said, I think I will continue what has been a slow migration back to PC from consoles. I only recently got back to Steam, (X-com Unknown) and its very impressive. With Big Picture mode it takes a lot of the work out of getting my Xbox Controller to work with PC games. I currently use xpadder. My PC while being 4 years old holds its own just fine, thanks to large investments in multi-core CPU and GPU back in 2008. I think I will pick up at least one console, and continue buying games on Steam or GOG going forward.

One last item I want to mention is this generation I think will be very major. One of the major reasons PC gaming has made such leaps in the past few years is accessibility due to much more powerful CPUs without the high cost. Both the 360 and the PS3 came out just as the concept of multi-core CPUs were hitting the enterprise and consumer industry. Yes, the PS3 is multi-core but not at the same level of performance. I expect that the performance is going to be significant on these consoles despite the fact that consoles tend to have to lock the approved hardware a few years before launch. What if one of these consoles plugs into Steam? PS3 has limited but functional access to Steam today.
post #26 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 21
My PC is not going anywhere, but I'll probably have to buy a console for my kids. I haven't used my PS3's for anything other than Blu-Ray in over a year, but my kids play a lot of games on them and they are easy enough for them to use. Haven't had a 360 in four years since my 3rd RROD. My kids don't even want to play the Wii.

I still don't think there will be any new MS or Sony consoles in 2013, unless they announce something in the next month or two.
post #27 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

I am betting otherwise: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452241/playstation-4-this-summer-sony-drops-hint
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post

My PC is not going anywhere, but I'll probably have to buy a console for my kids. I haven't used my PS3's for anything other than Blu-Ray in over a year, but my kids play a lot of games on them and they are easy enough for them to use. Haven't had a 360 in four years since my 3rd RROD. My kids don't even want to play the Wii.

I still don't think there will be any new MS or Sony consoles in 2013, unless they announce something in the next month or two.

post #28 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I am betting otherwise: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452241/playstation-4-this-summer-sony-drops-hint
You bet on rumors however you want. I've been seeing these rumors for 3 years now and haven't seen anything materialize.
post #29 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
Been with MS since the launch of the Xbox ,,got a 360 at launch and that sucker lasted 5 years before RROD took it down ...Kinect was cool for a week or so then i went back to gears ,,my kids love kinect though...
I will continue to play the 360 and get gears judgment and play that till the new box ..Like others have said ,,time is a major issue ,4 kids see to that..I play on Friday and Saturday nights ....

I used to love playing soldier of Fortune on my desktop but the thing that always brought me back to consoles was wireless controllers ,sitting back on the couch,feet up,and playing on 50+ screens ,just relaxing ..
post #30 of 370 Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

That timeline is already established by Sony. End of 2012 would have been 'exactly on time'. The original Playstation's release at the end of 1994, PS2 at the end of 2000 (6 years later), PS3 at the end of 2006 (6 years later)... so here we are 6 years later and counting. The timing makes sense for a 2013 launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post

You bet on rumors however you want. I've been seeing these rumors for 3 years now and haven't seen anything materialize.

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page