Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Currently have

Case: thermaltake level 10 gts mid sized

Power supply: Thermaltake (I forgot the number and don't have it on me i'll edit it and update later) broonze editioon modular 850 watt

MB: Asus Sabertooth 990 fx AM3+ AMD 990fx

CPU: AMD FX-8350 FX eight core

RAM: Corsair Vengence red 16gb (2x8) 1600mhz

HD: Corsair force gt 240gb ssd

Slave: (NOT OWNED YET) 3 TB segate 7200 rpms

3 led 120 fans and 1 led 220 fan plus the 2or 3 stock case fans and vid card and processor fans

now my question is the VID Card i picked out is

MSI AMD Radeon HD 7970 2pmd3gd5/oc grapichs card for 439.99

should I go with that or a Nvadia Geforce card for a around the same price be better? I'm only going to do 1 for now and in the future maybe move up to 2 so size does matter i notice that alot of the ghz editions of the Radeon seem to be overly big and tend t o have 2 - 3 fans while have a lot of complaints that the fans burn out or over all fail and then they're cards burn out in less than a half year.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked: 93
With Adaptive Vsync, Nvidia cards are much more graceful about dropping below 60fps. The short of it is they'll tear frames for a fraction of a second at ~50hz instead of making that huge, juddery drop to 30hz for that same part of a second as AMD cards do. I don't care how fancy one's system is it still drops frames, and Nvidia's drivers drop frames more elegantly. Look at the GTX680 instead.
SilverFoxhound likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

With Adaptive Vsync, Nvidia cards are much more graceful about dropping below 60fps. The short of it is they'll tear frames for a fraction of a second at ~50hz instead of making that huge, juddery drop to 30hz for that same part of a second as AMD cards do. I don't care how fancy one's system is it still drops frames, and Nvidia's drivers drop frames more elegantly. Look at the GTX680 instead.

just the regular or the overclocked editoin?
post #4 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxhound View Post

now my question is the VID Card i picked out is

MSI AMD Radeon HD 7970 2pmd3gd5/oc grapichs card for 439.99

should I go with that or a Nvadia Geforce card for a around the same price be better? I'm only going to do 1 for now and in the future maybe move up to 2 so size does matter i notice that alot of the ghz editions of the Radeon seem to be overly big and tend t o have 2 - 3 fans while have a lot of complaints that the fans burn out or over all fail and then they're cards burn out in less than a half year.
Asking "AMD or Nvidia" is like asking "Sony or MS?" Everyone's got an opinion.

My suggestion: check benchmarks for your specs for the kinds of games you want to play, find a good price, then buy the one that fits those parameters.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Asking "AMD or Nvidia" is like asking "Sony or MS?" Everyone's got an opinion.

My suggestion: check benchmarks for your specs for the kinds of games you want to play, find a good price, then buy the one that fits those parameters.

on benchmarks it seemed that the nvadia geforce 680 and 670 beats the radian 7970 but when i read articles in other places most of the games I wanna play the 7970 won.... it's so confusing I don't wanna sink 500 bucks into something then wish I got the other one you know what I mean so I wanted to find out from people what they have hows work for them if they've tired both and what's the real differences. Both cards are realitivly the same price about and the bench marks don't include the ghz edtion of the 7970 nor the over clocked edition of 680
post #6 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

then i see random things like geforce crashes during diablo but's better for max pain 3 (not sure if I'm interested in max pain 3 thought maybe diablo)

And then reading horro stories like this video card died on me in mounth's time.... gives me a huge wtf about that.... as well as what did that person really do to do that lol I know all sources aren't valid on the internet but I'd rather get the card that I'm going to benefit more off out. The reason I'm also so stuck up on this is the Ge force is a 2 gb and the 7970 is 3 gb because before I saw that I was leaning more towards the ge force and that's what really got me questioning will the AMD be better than The same priced ge force and the only reason I haven't taken a jump and ordered one or the other yet and hope I went right with my choice
post #7 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Benchmarks are really just ballpark figures. There are lots of things that can have effects on real-world performance on your particular PC. And regular driver updates and slight changes to hardware from each company keeps them neck and neck. Factor in things like GPU overclocking and individual processor performance, and it becomes a total wash.

There really is no "right answer." The reason you're finding contradictory information online is because there's no clear "winner." Find a card that does what you want, find a good price, and click "purchase." wink.gif

As for reliability, stick with major brands. But even then, like anything else in the PC world, nothing is certain. Everyone has stories of components dying, regardless of brand.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #8 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Benchmarks are really just ballpark figures. There are lots of things that can have effects on real-world performance on your particular PC. And regular driver updates and slight changes to hardware from each company keeps them neck and neck. Factor in things like GPU overclocking and individual processor performance, and it becomes a total wash.

There really is no "right answer." The reason you're finding contradictory information online is because there's no clear "winner." Find a card that does what you want, find a good price, and click "purchase." wink.gif

As for reliability, stick with major brands. But even then, like anything else in the PC world, nothing is certain. Everyone has stories of components dying, regardless of brand.

lol that's exactly what I was afraid of completely this is the benchmark a I used mostly for my source

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

one more question do you have any recommendations in brands like MSI Saffire or so so

and who I should stay away from because of possble burning out
post #9 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Well according to the website I like to use for video card comparisons, the Asus DCu2 cooler looks like the best there is. Keeps it cool and quiet. So if sound is important to you, look at a card with that cooler. They make both 7970 and 680, with that cooler, I believe. MSI has the twin frozr, which is nearly as good and quiet. For me sound is a big deal, so I look at the quietest card I can find.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #10 of 19 Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Liked: 93
Don't keep it a secret, Yrd. What site are you using to compare cooler noise levels?
post #11 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Well according to the website I like to use for video card comparisons, the Asus DCu2 cooler looks like the best there is. Keeps it cool and quiet. So if sound is important to you, look at a card with that cooler. They make both 7970 and 680, with that cooler, I believe. MSI has the twin frozr, which is nearly as good and quiet. For me sound is a big deal, so I look at the quietest card I can find.

Ditto for me I'm also interested as well if the site has more info on other parts if you wouldn't mind sharing i'd like to check it out
post #12 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Do you have GTX680 GPU in any of your machines?

If you do have you ever had any problems with them and how long have you used them for?
post #13 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Same site I always post for video card questions. Just realize it's based in the UK so they might have some things we don't, and they don't review everything available.

www.techpowerup.com

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #14 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Same site I always post for video card questions. Just realize it's based in the UK so they might have some things we don't, and they don't review everything available.

www.techpowerup.com

awesome mane thank you so much i'll be checking this out shortly
post #15 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

I don't know if it's the best there is, but I can vouch for the Asus DirectCU2. It's only barely audible when running close to 100%, but I've never needed it to go above 60%. This is while keeping temps below 60C.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxhound View Post

lol that's exactly what I was afraid of completely this is the benchmark a I used mostly for my source

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

one more question do you have any recommendations in brands like MSI Saffire or so so

and who I should stay away from because of possble burning out

This benchmark is fairly wacky. I would try anandtech or tomshardware for more reliable benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/benchmarks,135.html

If you are concerned about noise then a google search for "red mod" might give you a good idea. The nice thing is you should be able to move it to future gpu upgrades also.

Fans die on gpu's but this should be covered by the warranty if you can deal with being without a video card for a while.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #18 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 AM

If you ever plan to go multicard stay away from 7970s. I run 3 7970s in crossfire and its a nightmare. Every driver update is a 3 hour hassle. Its the worst 1500 dollars I ever spent.

post #19 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowGT0 View Post

If you ever plan to go multicard stay away from 7970s. I run 3 7970s in crossfire and its a nightmare. Every driver update is a 3 hour hassle. Its the worst 1500 dollars I ever spent.

I don't know what you're doing but I have a tri-Crossfire 6950 setup and don't have any problems. I just install new videocard drivers and I'm good to go, and I'm sure that's how it is with most people.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page