Cheap AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope you all can recommend a cheap AVR that will let me connect my GTX 590 through HDMI for 5.1 sound. It's just for my little computer room, and that's all I want it to do. I wish they made an amp that would do just that one thing so I wouldn't have to pay for all the bells and whistles of a full-blown receiver. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html

Refurb 120 + shipping.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

That is very cheap. Thank you very much.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 93
That receiver doesn't run Audyssey MultEQ, and that is absolutely a bell and/or whistle worth owning.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Spend the extra $80. Buying a modern receiver without room correction is buying the wrong receiver. smile.gif
post #5 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Liked: 12
if you ever plan on using headphones for late-night gaming I would recommend a yamaha AVR. their headphone surround is awesome.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
One of the best deals out there recently has been the Denon 1712 if you can find one (might be tougher now), BB/Mag was clearing them out for $199 and some were getting them for even less.

Best of luck,
Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM

That receipt is from early November. Good luck finding stock on that deeply discounted receiver two and a half months later. wink.gif Best Buy's discount schedule would put that at around $80-100 now that it's January, meaning any stock still sitting in a store is a boomerang. Broken, but not so obviously that they can RMA it.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Nothing like a $120 receiver to match up to your $1000 graphics card.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

That receiver doesn't run Audyssey MultEQ, and that is absolutely a bell and/or whistle worth owning.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Spend the extra $80. Buying a modern receiver without room correction is buying the wrong receiver. smile.gif

Yeah, I noticed that. I was kind of looking forward to breaking out the old tape measure and doing the math. I do like the auto-setup. My HT Sony upstairs has it.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Nothing like a $120 receiver to match up to your $1000 graphics card.

Seven hundred, actually. I can't believe the sound would be very different from a $2,000 AVR. Are you saying it would? Vanishing harmonic distortion, full frequency range, and enough power to fill a 10 X 10 room seem to be standard across the board.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnobber View Post

Seven hundred, actually. I can't believe the sound would be very different from a $2,000 AVR. Are you saying it would? Vanishing harmonic distortion, full frequency range, and enough power to fill a 10 X 10 room seem to be standard across the board.

I was really just poking fun smile.gif

In my opinion more expensive AVR's do sound better. Like all things returns are diminishing and I can't imagine spending 2k on a receiver. That Denon is easily worth the price difference.

Personally I would upgrade my main AVR and move the old one over but any of the refurb units should be a good option for you.

Edit: I have a 7-year old refurbished Onkyo that has been completely trouble free. Good luck.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

"My HT Sony upstairs has it."

Your Sony has nothing remotely close to MultEQ, and busting out the tape measure will only get you 25% of the way to what MultEQ does. No amount of user fiddling will give you the software room correction that you'll get out of any flavor of MultEQ (not to be mistaken with the basic 2EQ version!).

Trust me, good room correction is the most important thing to happen to receivers since we got Dolby Digital decoders in them. Your Sony has auto-setup, which is a partial step on the way to room correction.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibrok View Post

if you ever plan on using headphones for late-night gaming I would recommend a yamaha AVR. their headphone surround is awesome.

What this guys says. Look for a receiver with either Dolby Headphones or a Yamaha with the "Silent Cinema" DSP setting. If you go this route you are gonna have to buy a decent set of headphones to use these settings. I can't tell you how many times that I have to keep it down for the wife or relatives because I am on a night schedule working night shifts. Still haven't bought one yet, but I see Yamahas with the Silent Cinema DSP on sale all the time at Newegg.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-headphone.html
post #14 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"My HT Sony upstairs has it."

Your Sony has nothing remotely close to MultEQ, and busting out the tape measure will only get you 25% of the way to what MultEQ does. No amount of user fiddling will give you the software room correction that you'll get out of any flavor of MultEQ (not to be mistaken with the basic 2EQ version!).

Trust me, good room correction is the most important thing to happen to receivers since we got Dolby Digital decoders in them. Your Sony has auto-setup, which is a partial step on the way to room correction.

Ah. So I didn't know what you were talking about. I'll read up on it.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

That receipt is from early November. Good luck finding stock on that deeply discounted receiver two and a half months later. wink.gif Best Buy's discount schedule would put that at around $80-100 now that it's January, meaning any stock still sitting in a store is a boomerang. Broken, but not so obviously that they can RMA it.

Which is why I stated what I did but that does not mean they are not out there. I have seen three within the last 30-45 days sitting on shelves at BB/Mag and Fry's (two were new @ $200/$230 and one was open box at BB/Mag that was not $80-$100, it was $169 2 weeks ago, at under $100 I would have bought it as a back-up smile.gif).

Heck I bought a 1712 for $228 6-8 months ago for my gaming room. Just wish it would pass 720p@120Hz via HDMI for my 3D ready LED DLP projector.

As dlj stated Audyssey MultiEQ is definitely something to look for, which was why I suggested the 1712 as it uses a more advanced version of MultiEQ, the XT version (as well as being 7.1 vs 5.1). I also have a Denon 4311ci with MultiEQ XT32 and it has taken my HT system to new levels even though I had MultiEQ + BFD EQ prior to the XT32.

But... as stated YMMV and best of luck. wink.gif

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #16 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

...snip...

Personally I would upgrade my main AVR and move the old one over ....

That is a thought. I'm trying to keep expenses down right now, though. Maybe I will just wait. Right now I'm pushing DDL from a sound card through optical to a Sony STR-DH500. Don't make that face. It was a dirt cheap way to drive my equally crappy Russian no-name surround speakers (which actually don't suck) and my home-brew 15" MOSFET-driven subwoofer (which is walking the knickknacks off the mantel). I finally got the graphics where they should be, and all that's left is the sound. I want to see if I can hear the difference. I mean hear if I can. You know what I mean.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

The 1612 would be a huge upgrade smile.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Here is a Yamaha with Silent Cinema DSP and it has YPAO for $199. The YPAO is probably inferior to the MultiEQ though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16882115373

My Onkyo SR receiver has Multi 2EQ, not the improved Multi EQ. It would never work right for me. Everytime I ran it it would set all my Ascend speakers to "large". If left at this setting, during high bass moments these speakers would bass overload and distort.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM

YPAO is vastly inferior to MultEQ. It's basic auto-setup like his Sony, with minimal speaker EQ. Worst of all there is no sub EQ, just like 2EQ. The sub is of course the speaker that needs room correction the most with it's wide sound waves.

Also, just set your speakers to Small after you run 2EQ and raise the crossover point to 80-100hz. The rest of the 2EQ auto-setup remains valid and is better than just running the speakers in their native state.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page