I might have killed it. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been carefully planning the upgrading of my media center HTPC into a reasonably nice gaming PC. It's a Dell XPS 8500 with i7, 16GB RAM, all the fixins. Today I finally pulled the trigger and installed a EVGA GTX670 along with a Corsair TX650M psu. I chose those after lots of online research including confirming that others had installed those into the same model computer. It was a tight fit but I got it all in there and after a little troubleshooting it booted up and worked fine. I downloaded the nvidia driver updates, watched a video, then had to go put the kid down for the night. I came back a few hours later and the computer was off and wouldn't turn on. I turned the power supply switch on and off, and since then it'll turn on but only to run all fans at full speed-- no video output, no boot into windows or bios, just the fans at full strength.

I'm new to the PC world and have only a basic knowledge of what I'm doing so I'm not sure I can fix it myself, but does that sound like anything recognizable? Did I fry my CPU or do I just have something hooked up wrong? Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Kind of sounds like when you forget to plug in the 4-pin power connector on your motherboard. It could also be that you forgot a power connector to the gtx670.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
If you have your old PSU and GPU, you could swap those back in and see if it still boots up. Also, you could try using your mobo's video out instead of your GPU's to see if it's something to do with the card.

In my experience, this stuff usually comes down to something stupid on my part. Forgot to plug something in. Forgot to flip the right switch. Etc.

I can only hope that you're as dumb as I am. wink.gif

In general, troubleshooting on a PC can be a real pain. Having old parts to swap in and out makes it easier. And just like anything else, try to isolate components as much as possible as you troubleshoot.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 93
First step: Reset to default. Meaning, pull out the new power supply and GPU, then put in the old power supply. Does it boot? Great! Everything still works.

Step two: Replace the power supply. Does it still boot? Great! Everything is hooked up correctly and the new power supply functions. Now use the computer for a bit and let it sit on for a while. Come back to it tomorrow. Does it still work? Great! The new PSU is even stable!

Step three: Now that it's been a day, put in the new GPU. Did you remember to plug in the supplemental power in the process? Does it show you a logo or BIOS screen of any sort when booting? What if you plug in to the on-board video port?

Chances are something isn't plugged in right, the card isn't seated correctly and all the way down, or you have a BIOS setting or driver issue. Breaking the upgrade in to stages will narrow down the problem real fast.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Once upon a time I pushed my power supply to the point where my computer wouldn't boot until I disconnected a few USB devices. Seeing how your PC worked fine for a while but now refuses to boot, it might be worth a try before any invasive surgery.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page