List of games with discrete 7.1 support. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know for sure about Diablo 3 working and that's it I know of. Are there any other 7.1 enabled games any body else here knows about? I know of tons that aren't 7.1. We need a 7.1 battlefield game.

Edit:

Compiled List (The ones I've gotten working):
1. Diablo 3
2. Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 2779
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012) has 7.1 support

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 24 Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sweet. Thanks for the tip. Got it working. Sounds awesome. Now I may have to go get a new racing wheel. Love it.

Everybody be sure to buy multiple copies of these to reward the developers for this proper behavior.

This can't be all there is is it!?!?
post #4 of 24 Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 155
This is one area where consoles have a slight advantage. Shiz... The PS3 had lossless 7.1 back in 2006.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh now you've done it. While I'm glad were finally emerging from the dark ages I don't know that I'd consider the proprietary and expensive to liceense overcomplicated solutions which now hold the audio path for ransom and fianally available by '06 necessarily better than what I could see from a slight tweak on AC97. Sure, developers could buck Sony and go another direction but good luck getting software companies to risk upsetting that sony cash cow. Other than the progress stifling affect I guess I'm OK with hdmi as long as some 7.1 software hurries up and starts showing up. I'm not kidding man,. Diablo 3 and Need For Speed Most Wanted sound bad to the bone.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

This is one area where consoles have a slight advantage. Shiz... The PS3 had lossless 7.1 back in 2006.

The consoles also claim to support 1080p. How many games are actually made with 7.1 for the consoles?
post #7 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I thought all PC games had 7.1 support (and more) as long as they had DirectSound support? (pretty much all modern PC games) They support as many speakers as you have.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Nearly ALL games on PC have support for 7.1 as long as DirectSound is used and it is most of the time. I could play a game from pre-2000 and have it in 7.1 surround.

Consoles.... heh.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #9 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Nearly ALL games on PC have support for 7.1 as long as DirectSound is used and it is most of the time. I could play a game from pre-2000 and have it in 7.1 surround.

Consoles.... heh.
I thought I said that?tongue.gif

post #10 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Bass Enabler

You did but you didn't say it pushy enough. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #11 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I thought all PC games had 7.1 support (and more) as long as they had DirectSound support? (pretty much all modern PC games) They support as many speakers as you have.

How do you enable directsound? Most of the new games I'm trying don't have a choice for "direct sound" or even how many speakers. Most just seem to do 5.1 and have a bunch of volume sliders in the sound config area. NFS and Diablo 3 both have a 7.1 selection you must make and when I do it works. I've recently tried Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Dungeon Siege 3, the Witcher 2 and Skyrim and couldn't get 7.1 out of any of those though they could do 5.1.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

You did but you didn't say it pushy enough. tongue.gif
Yeah and when Scott says it you know it's true. biggrin.gif

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #13 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Ugly1, in Windows 7 (and probably newer & previous versions) Directsound, which is a function of DirectX, is enabled by default. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys)

post #14 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As long as you have multiple speakers configured properly in the Playback Devices and the game supports DirectSound you will get multi-speaker output.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Ugly1, in Windows 7 (and probably newer & previous versions) Directsound, which is a function of DirectX, is enabled by default. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys)

DS no longer exists and has been replaced by XAudio2. DS games and apps still work with XAudio2 though, because it emulates DS. Dave pretty much summed it up but some older stuff doesn't work as well under XAudio2 as it did with DirectSound.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Yeah and when Scott says it you know it's true. biggrin.gif

Lol! biggrin.gif

Quote:

Pretty much, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

As long as you have multiple speakers configured properly in the Playback Devices and the game supports DirectSound you will get multi-speaker output.

This. The OP needs to double-check the standard Windows audio settings and make sure 7.1 speaker layout is selected. It should just default to 2ch but maybe 5.1 when HDMI is plugged in. I have no idea cuz I set it to 7.1 right away.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #17 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lol! biggrin.gif
Pretty much, yes.
This. The OP needs to double-check the standard Windows audio settings and make sure 7.1 speaker layout is selected. It should just default to 2ch but maybe 5.1 when HDMI is plugged in. I have no idea cuz I set it to 7.1 right away.

OK so I'm running windows 7 with all the latest updates, configured for 7.1 in windows audio settings (set this way long ago and apparently working since test runs through all channels), device manager and everything else I know to check seems to be alright with everything the way it is.. Everything else seems working: bitstreamed high def from TMT5, passed 7.1 pcm, dolby digital and dts's seem fine. All these things properly light up correctly on my pre/pro as expected and 7.1 works great with Diablo 3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012.

I'm curious, have you actually tested that you get 7.1 on any of the games I've mentioned (Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Dungeon Siege 3, the Witcher 2 and Skyrim), I failed tp get 7.1'ing , and if so are you sure it is a discrete signal and not just some remixed and affect laden version of some other channel which was already there?

BTW just so I'm clear...I'm only interested in software putting out 7.1 not some fake dsp post processed hack of a 5.1 stream like dolby pro logic IIx.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
I know I'm coming into this kinda late but...
Quote:Originally Posted by Anthony1 

PS3 is capable of supporting 7.1 surround but it is entirely up to the game developer to support it. If you are always getting 7.1 surround from games, then you probably have virtual surround or matrixing enabled on your receiver. Some games support discrete 7.1 and many are just 5.1; it depends on how thorough the programmers are at implementing the audio engine in their game and also depends on the audio engine used in the game; for example, Batman Arkham Asylum on PS3 and PC supported 7.1 because it used FMOD for its audio engine but Arkham City only supported 5.1 because it used Wwise. Wwise only supports up to 5.1 channels.

Quote:Originally Posted by Ugly1 

How do you enable directsound? Most of the new games I'm trying don't have a choice for "direct sound" or even how many speakers. Most just seem to do 5.1 and have a bunch of volume sliders in the sound config area. NFS and Diablo 3 both have a 7.1 selection you must make and when I do it works. I've recently tried Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Dungeon Siege 3, the Witcher 2 and Skyrim and couldn't get 7.1 out of any of those though they could do 5.1.

You don't enable DirectSound, it's a component built into older games.. As has been said, DirectSound is an outdated audio engine from the Windows XP era used in many older games; it's a component embedded into the game. Most games now days don't use DirectSound but use a number of audio engines such as FMOD, Wwise, XAudio2, and OpenAL. Dishonored only supports up to 5.1 because it uses Wwise and Wwise only supports up to 6 channels. Far Cry 3 and Skyrim use XAudio2 which supports 7.1 output but the programmers were perhaps incompetent and failed to implement the necessary programming to get those games to see an 8 channel speaker configuration. The Witcher 2 uses FMOD and I'm certain that this game supports 7.1 so I'm not sure why that's not working for you. Make sure that your speaker configuration in Windows is set to 7.1. I use analog output from my X-Fi card so I haven't tested these games through HDMI; maybe HDMI audio does something with Witcher 2 that prevents it from detecting 7.1 channels.

I'm slightly enthusiastic about PC gaming audio so I created a page with my findings of what audio API the game uses and what channel output it supports:
http://satsun.org/audio/

That stuff is mostly about gaming with direct analog connections from a sound card to a receiver. I think using HDMI automatically mixes bass to the subwoofer and I'm guessing you guys are probably using HDMI. When using analog connections, if the game isn't specifically programmed to route audio to LFE then you get no subwoofer usage unless you tell the sound card software to do bass redirection.

Last edited by djoye; 07-01-2014 at 08:56 AM.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post

I'm slightly enthusiastic about PC gaming audio so I created a page with my findings of what audio API the game uses and what channel output it supports:
http://stuffiputupwith.net/audio.html

Wow! Thanks for this list. Seriously.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #20 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, thanks for the list djoye. And your page also answered some questions I had about the audio in games. cool.gif

post #21 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
You are our game audio hero right now.

I just recently hooked up my soundcard to my receiver. Analog, 5.1, small room, not enough space for 7.1. So that's a nice list to see. I've set my sound card to handle the crossover, but I have yet to actually play anything but Dishonored and Rocksmith since hooking it up. Seeing which ones have actual LFE channels is a nice little bonus.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #22 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 11
Lemme know if anything on the page needs to be clarified. It's just something I kinda threw together.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoye View Post

Lemme know if anything on the page needs to be clarified. It's just something I kinda threw together.

Seemed pretty accurate from my recent experiences with my new computer in my HT room which is 7.1 capable. I have mine hooked up with HDMI though. Really, it's the same thing. Your AVR might not be able to use bass management using the analog in but my old (pre-HDMI) Harmon Kardon could. It would allow you to run the analog pure or digitize it for use with bass management. But anyway... the poor use of audio in general with gaming keeps me annoyed thru the years. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #24 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, sweet post and site djoye. I guess I need to look at my old posts more.

I'll have to have another try running The Witcher again sometime soon. Maybe I blew it.

Been too busy to play anything new lately.

BTW yes it is an HDMI link I use. My Asus ATI6850 based card outputs to my Onkyo PRSC885 preamp. As far as I can tell it's all setup properly as encoded streams are detected encoded by the pre and the 7.1 kicks in via Diablo 3 as soon as I make the change in the game options. I'm guessing if it's set up right for Diablo to work, then other games should work too???

Edit: my setup sends all discrete channels from the pc but my preamp has the option of creating a sub channel from the other channels when one doesn't exist. I turn that on because music sounds better that way.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page