27" cheapo Korean 2560 x 1440 monitors now selling for $300 to $400... anybody get one of these? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Apparently, there are a number of Korean manufacturers that are selling 2560 x 1440 monitors for around $350 to $400 on Ebay. The way I understand it, the warranty is really sketchy, and the quality can be a bit sketchy, but some people are getting lucky, and getting a 27 incher that is working vey nicely, for only $350 to $400. Way cheaper than it used to be for a 2560 x 1440 monitor.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490884

Anybody think of jumping on this bandwagon for the gaming benefits ?

I'm sure Mirror's Edge would look seriously bad azz at 2560 x 1440.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I mentioned in another thread, but I picked up a rebranded variant of these from Microcenter, the Auria EQ276W, partly for the local pickup, and mainly because of the myriad of input options. (Most of the Korean ones don't have a scaler, which means they only accept 1440p and only have a single dual-link DVI input.) Mine has HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, and VGA. But then, the Korean ones are almost $100 cheaper too.

I tried it out for gaming, and it definitely looks great for that, but to be honest I'd still rather game at 50" on a 1080p display (better frame rates, and more immersive). The plan all along was to mainly use it for non-gaming purposes (and I don't play fast-twitch FPS games much), so I can't say too much about the lag or anything like that, but I really do think it's a great display.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm very curious about these 2560 x 1440 monitors for gaming. I'm playing a lot of games that are pretty outdated, and if they "can" run at that resolution, then my 560 Ti should be up to the task. It would be cool to play stuff like Mirror's Edge at 2560 x 1440. I just wish Fry's would carry one of these like Microcenter is doing. I don't live anywhere near a MicoCenter.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Monoprice will have their own branded one in March too:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #5 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey there!

My name is Warren Berry and I bought one of these "cheapo" monitors from ebay. I bought a Yamakasi CatLeap Q270 LED from a buyer called "Dream Seller".

They have 2 versions of the catleap, the regular and the "pixel perfect". The pixel perfect they sit there and look at the monitor from a certain distance (5 inches I think) and look for dead pixels. There can be no more than 3 I think for it to be pixel perfect but you can look at this store if you want more information.

Onto the monitor itself. I live in Northern Canada and I was delivered within 8 days during the Christmas rush. For the record I usually dont get my electricity bills that fast.

The cost was about $460 total after shipping taxes and customs fees. Cheap if you ask me, it was about $400 for the monitor, shipping was free and the border guards cost me another $60.

Was it worth it? Hell freaking Yes. This is like asking Neil Armstrong if going to the moon was worth it.

Pros: The monitor has an unbelievable display at 2560 x 1440. No light bleeding around the edges and its got a fast refresh. Im a huge gamer and I have no complaints about the picture quality whatsoever.

Cons: Its got an awesome display to rival that apple thunderbolt but its $400.

This monitor is about 1 thing: the display. The frame is pretty weak and I dont have it on a very good computer table. Its actually my wifes drawing table and its shaky. Not a big deal if I had a better desk and a computer keyboard with a tray.

It accepts dvi input and ONLY dvi input. Not a problem as it comes with a cable from my computer

There are NO bells and whistles whatsoever for this monitor. You wanted a top of the line display? Check. You want anything else? Go pay $1200 for another monitor.

Overall it delivers exactly what it said it would do. If you're ok with that( and I certainly am, I recommend it to everyone at work) then go for it. Overall I cant complain at its lack of features CAUSE ITS $400!!!!!!

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #6 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Man I wrote this huge review for my first post only to have it not posted and now Im writing a much smaller review.....mad.gif

Basically I got a Yamakasi CatLeap Q270 LED from an ebay seller named Dream Seller. They had a pixel perfect edition that I bought. It cost me $400 with free shipping and about $60 in brokerage fees to get it into northern Canada. It came in 5 days. I dont usually get my Visa bills that fast.

The monitor is perfect, its massive, bright and has an incredible display. It blew my mind when I plugged it in the first time but then again I upgraded from a 14" monitor from 2004....

The base is a little weak but that doesnt really matter as it just sits there anyhow. There are also NO bells and whistles with the monitor whatsoever. If you want anything extra go pay $1200 for a thunderbolt display. Id say the display quality on the catleap is close to the Apple flagship. Its that nice.

Overall I recommend this to everyone at work and im really really happy with it. If you're willing to pay dream seller $400 for a catleap Id say go for it. Ive been very happy with it so far.

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
Electricity
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does that monitor have any type of scaler, or everything has to run at the native 2560 x 1440 ? My question is, do all your games run fine at that resolution ? What about just surfing the internet and stuff ? I've seen screenshots of Mirrors Edge running at those high resolutions and it looks drop dead gorgeous. Has me very tempted.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM

Well bf3 runs just fine at various resolution. My comp isnt that powerful. Naturally all games look best at 2560 x 1440 but they can be scaled back. Not sure if that answers your question. Internet and desktop is fine st highest res other games i need to chop the resolution down

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
Electricity
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page