PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Yeah, playing Crysis 3 sort of takes the wind out of the excitement for the next-gen consoles. redface.gif

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

My next backlog title to tackle is the immortal Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I'm approaching this the same way I did Dragon's Age and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning... by playing it over a year after release, I take advantage of all the patches, DLC and mods to enjoy the best, first-time experience that my rig can handle (plus the games are cheaper when waiting for a sale). cool.gif

Hell I'm just getting around to playing Oblivion and Fallout 3( GOTY editions for both)!

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #543 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I enjoyed Oblivion a LOT when I played through it, but Fallout didn't grab me so I skipped it.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #544 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm waiting to build a proper rig before tackling Skyrim, so I can play it on ultra settings with all the mods I've seen across the internet.

post #545 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I'm waiting to build a proper rig before tackling Skyrim, so I can play it on ultra settings with all the mods I've seen across the internet.

Don't need no proper rig. I have i5 and GTX 550 Ti and 8 gigs of ram. Runs like a dream.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #546 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Don't need no proper rig. I have i5 and GTX 550 Ti and 8 gigs of ram. Runs like a dream.

Well, I mean I realize that it's a 2 year old game at this point, so anything I build now can probably chew it up and spit it out. My laptop as described above can only run it on low settings, which is not how I want to experience it. My future rig is going to be something along the lines of a 4th or maybe 5th gen 'K' series I5, 16 gb RAM, maybe a 7970 or whatever's the best cost/performance card out at that time.

post #547 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Some of those mods seem cool, but it's like a part time job downloading and installing all of them.

I wonder if anyone made some sort of "skyrim 2.0" collection, where a ton of high quality mods that are tested to work well with each other, are packaged into simple one step install?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #548 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
whatever's the best cost/performance card out at that time

This is the card I just bought and I love it: (best bang for your buck in terms of NVidia, imho)

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2768-KR

Got the 4gb one for futureproofiing. It's fast, cool and quiet. smile.gif

As far as Skyrim is concerned, I hated the fighting system and gave it up after a while, but damn the mods sure made it look purty. Amalur's fighting system is vastly better, and the character leveling shamelessly copies WoW, but there were way too many side quests and I ultimately got bogged down and bored with it. Guild Wars 2, however, is phenomenal and has me sucked right in at the moment.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #549 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 159
BB:

I wasn't discouraged from the game because of anything you said. It was the repeated postings in the past of people commenting about the mods. Game is so much better with the mods. You go and try and find mods now, they don't exist. The amalur forums are gone. That's where all the links lead.

Why should I bother with a game that is so much "less better" without the mods that everyone loved.

Anyway, me to the rescue. After doing some hardcore googling I found a few things.

This guy has a dropbox of various things, one being the heartcore mod that increases the difficulty(the biggest complaint I read)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV

You need the cheatengine and the YSA stuff. The YSA_mod folder is what is in the zip, I believe.

Here is one for FOV:
https://www.widescreenfixer.org/

Here is one for FXAA:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10180/?
barrelbelly likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #550 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 12
I'm currently playing Torchlight 2 and occasionally still run through coop missions on FarCry 3.
post #551 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Picked up Bioshock Infinite during last weekend's Steam sale. Now on the second playthru on Hard.

and stil playing Team Fortress 2.
post #552 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 13
Just thought I would share some Skyrim screenshots!

post #553 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 185
Team Fortress 2, the game of forever. I'll reach 1,300 hours in that game before the year ends. smile.gif

~~~

I did a couple of write-ups on the use of mods in Kingdom of Amalur over in its thread. Here are some links to them that may help those jumping into it now:

Link #1 - HeartCore Difficulty mod (necessary!!!), FXAA Injector (makes colors pop), Widescreen Fixer (default FoV is waaaay too close).

Link #2 - More specific details on how to play with the HeartCore difficulty mod in place (you still need self restrictions on some activities to not over power yourself).

~~

As for comments on Skyrim modding, I'll add my thoughts on that in the Skyrim thread.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #554 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Some of those mods seem cool, but it's like a part time job downloading and installing all of them.

I don't mind a little bit of tinkering, in fact I'm looking forward to that aspect of PC gaming in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

This is the card I just bought and I love it: (best bang for your buck in terms of NVidia, imho)

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2768-KR

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at a summer 2014 build, so I'll see what's out at that time. Summer is usually when they refresh GPUs yeah?
Quote:

Team Fortress 2, the game of forever. I'll reach 1,300 hours in that game before the year ends. smile.gif

~~~

I just got that game as part of the Orange Box set, have never played it( nor have I played Half-life 2 for that matter).

post #555 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

~~~

I did a couple of write-ups on the use of mods in Kingdom of Amalur over in its thread. Here are some links to them that may help those jumping into it now:

Link #1 - HeartCore Difficulty mod (necessary!!!), FXAA Injector (makes colors pop), Widescreen Fixer (default FoV is waaaay too close).

Link #2 - More specific details on how to play with the HeartCore difficulty mod in place (you still need self restrictions on some activities to not over power yourself).

~~

As for comments on Skyrim modding, I'll add my thoughts on that in the Skyrim thread.

Except use my link for the heartcore mod, because amalurfoundry does not work anymore. Neither do any of the amalur forums. The other 2 links are the same.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #556 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Dragon:
You ought to be able to find some great deals on super closeout GPU's CPU's and Memory around Black Friday discount time. I know that Micro Center is planning to closeout the 7000 series of AMD GPUs at rock bottom prices. I have the Asus HD 7870. And it has been awesome. I don't know what they will sell the 7970 at. But I was told the 7850 and 7870 would be from $79-$99 depending on brand. I definitely plan to pick up another Asus HD 7870 and crossfire it. I'll also pick up another Dell S2240M Monitor ($99-$119 on sale) and a dual monitor bracket. I should be able to scale monitors at a slight angle for an almost seamless 40" of display surface in a small space. I plan to experiment with 3D a bit in anticipation of Oculus Rift and Sony VR in 2014. I'll put the 32" HDTV on a bracket behind them (slightly above eye level) for movies & TV.

Marifice or anyone else:
What will I gain or lose by running a 2 monitor cross fired setup like that for gaming? Better in Windows 7 or 8? I currently have Win7. But I'm tempted to go Win8 and link it to one of the new Logitech touchpads in lieu of a touch screen monitor.

The Skyrim and Crysis screenshots above are awesome! I am very tempted to take my Skyrim into BestBuy or Gamestop and see if they will swap my Xbox 360 version straight up for the PC version.
post #557 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Dragon:
You ought to be able to find some great deals on super closeout GPU's CPU's and Memory around Black Friday discount time. I know that Micro Center is planning to closeout the 7000 series of AMD GPUs at rock bottom prices. I have the Asus HD 7870. And it has been awesome. I don't know what they will sell the 7970 at. But I was told the 7850 and 7870 would be from $79-$99 depending on brand. I definitely plan to pick up another Asus HD 7870 and crossfire it. I'll also pick up another Dell S2240M Monitor ($99-$119 on sale) and a dual monitor bracket. I should be able to scale monitors at a slight angle for an almost seamless 40" of display surface in a small space. I plan to experiment with 3D a bit in anticipation of Oculus Rift and Sony VR in 2014. I'll put the 32" HDTV on a bracket behind them (slightly above eye level) for movies & TV.

Marifice or anyone else:
What will I gain or lose by running a 2 monitor cross fired setup like that for gaming? Better in Windows 7 or 8? I currently have Win7. But I'm tempted to go Win8 and link it to one of the new Logitech touchpads in lieu of a touch screen monitor.

The Skyrim and Crysis screenshots above are awesome! I am very tempted to take my Skyrim into BestBuy or Gamestop and see if they will swap my Xbox 360 version straight up for the PC version.

Well first of all, you either game on 1 montior, or 3. 2 would put centerpoint on the bezel and for gaming, that would be extremely awkward. I run 3 monitors, but only game on my primary (as my other 2 are different aspect ratios anyway) and the other 2 are for my net browsing, and all my Steam stuff (main window, friend list, chat windows)

Running additional monitors that AREN'T being used to game has minimal, if any, impact on performance in games. Running a triple monitor setup (Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround) Will have a definite impact on performance as you'll be running probably 5760x1080 with triple monitor.

Now not all games like triple screens, some don't look right, but FPSs (when you tweak the FOV), racing, and flight sims look awesome. Some people can't get past the bezels but I think most can quite easily. After I ran it for a while, I just didn't even see them anymore.

As for Win7 or 8, go with what you want. I've been using Win8 since the RC and love it. Put it on my new gaming rig too. And if you plan to play games like BF4, or anything that will take advantage of DirectX 11.1, you HAVE to have Windows 8. It's just as good, if not better in some cases, than Win 7. and if you want a real Start menu, it's a very simple fix, there are many options to bring one back. I recommend Start8 from Stardock, works flawlessly, is only $5, and can be activated on multiple machines. I bought it once, and have it active on my laptop, my media PC, and my new gaming rig with no problems.
barrelbelly likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #558 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm...does BF4 really have win8 exclusive features? I've been resisting that move for a while. I really don't want to pay for Win 8, that's for sure.

post #559 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm...does BF4 really have win8 exclusive features? I've been resisting that move for a while. I really don't want to pay for Win 8, that's for sure.

So far in the beta it's been running far better on Win8. No stutter issues, better avg framerates, and there's supposed to be DX 11.1 support after launch. I still honestly don't get the massive hate for Windows 8, there's nothing wrong with it from a user standpoint. There's no compatibility issues that's I've run into yet, everything that worked on 7, works on 8, and in some cases, performs better.

But again, if you want to take advantage of DX 11.1, you'll have to be on 8

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #560 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't there a new DX 11 version coming or already out (11.2) that only works with Win8?
post #561 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

So far in the beta it's been running far better on Win8. No stutter issues, better avg framerates, and there's supposed to be DX 11.1 support after launch. I still honestly don't get the massive hate for Windows 8, there's nothing wrong with it from a user standpoint. There's no compatibility issues that's I've run into yet, everything that worked on 7, works on 8, and in some cases, performs better.

But again, if you want to take advantage of DX 11.1, you'll have to be on 8

I just see no value in it as a desktop user. I have absolutely zero interest in everything on the metro side, and there's nothing really upgrade-worthy on the desktop side, even in 8.1. I'd use it with mods to make it like Win 7 if I had no other choice, but I'm certainly not going to pay $99 for the privilege...even $49 is questionable.

barrelbelly likes this.

post #562 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Isn't there a new DX 11 version coming or already out (11.2) that only works with Win8?

Not yet. 11.1 is coming with the Windows 8.1 update on the 17th last I heard

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #563 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw it mentioned here and somewhere else recently.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/r9/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-r9-series.aspx#4

BTW...these new cards look really good. They may make me rethink a new 7870. Even though $99 and 2-3 new AAA games look really good to me.
post #564 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw it mentioned here and somewhere else recently.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/r9/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-r9-series.aspx#4

BTW...these new cards look really good. They may make me rethink a new 7870. Even though $99 and 2-3 new AAA games look really good to me.

Only the R9 290 and R9 290X are actually 'new' cards. The 280X and below are rebranded current gen cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r9-r7-reviews-prices-release,24584.html

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #565 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Only the R9 290 and R9 290X are actually 'new' cards. The 280X and below are rebranded current gen cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r9-r7-reviews-prices-release,24584.html

Aren't the R9's still based on the Tahiti processors? ( just twerked? )

post #566 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Aren't the R9's still based on the Tahiti processors? ( just twerked? )

As far as I'm aware, ALL of the 'new' cards in the R7 and R9 series, with the exception of the 290 and 290X, are Tahiti-based. the 290 and 290X are Hawaii-based, that's why those two are the flagships in the $500+ range. Still waiting to see benches and performance. They claim it to be comparable if not better than a Titan. I'll believe it when I see it, but right now my $690 780 HoF beats a Titan in pretty much all games. Though it's got half the VRAM (only 3GB) but still, an extra $300 for more VRAM isn't worth it in my book.

If it's on par or better than a Titan, good! We need the competition, and the confirmed specs look nice for sure. Now we need to see the actual performance as the initial batch of cards is priced at $730 with BF4 in the bundle.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #567 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

As far as I'm aware, ALL of the 'new' cards in the R7 and R9 series, with the exception of the 290 and 290X, are Tahiti-based. the 290 and 290X are Hawaii-based, that's why those two are the flagships in the $500+ range. Still waiting to see benches and performance. They claim it to be comparable if not better than a Titan. I'll believe it when I see it, but right now my $690 780 HoF beats a Titan in pretty much all games. Though it's got half the VRAM (only 3GB) but still, an extra $300 for more VRAM isn't worth it in my book.

If it's on par or better than a Titan, good! We need the competition, and the confirmed specs look nice for sure. Now we need to see the actual performance as the initial batch of cards is priced at $730 with BF4 in the bundle.

I hear you, I'm all for competition. It certainly bodes well for Radeon that they are in both the new consoles. I've got a 680 gtx ( the 4gig model ) running one plasma screen, and it absolutely destroys everything on max, lol - so I won't be buying anything for a couple of years, but its still exciting to see the new architecture, even if it is really only for destroying benchmarks ( or running 3 displays at once at high fps / res )

post #568 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone played James Bond 007 Bloodstone on PC? If so, what say you. Is it worth a spin at $29.00?
post #569 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone played James Bond 007 Bloodstone on PC? If so, what say you. Is it worth a spin at $29.00?

No way. I've always heard rather meh reviews for it, and really? it's STILL $30? That game came out YEARS ago, should be in the $5 range at this point. I would say don't bother.
barrelbelly likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #570 of 821 Old 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To be honest I'm way more excited about that audio chip than anything else in that card. If enough games support it, it might even get me to drop nvidia.  Although I'm still holding out hope that they integrate the audio chip into future APUs, so I can use it alongside an nvidia card.

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Black Mesa , Batman Arkham Origins , Grand Theft Auto V , Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Collectors Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page