PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 837 Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

So I noticed something interesting today, and it didn't happen on base Win 8, but since updating to 8.1, Windows now recognizes the wired 360 headset as a recording device and a playback device when it's plugged into the controller! Woot!
I'm surprised base 8 didn't do this as Windows 7 does this, and has done this for quite a while. At least the last two years since I've used it with BF3 during that time. I use the headset for voice chat only with the game sound coming through the speakers. And luckily Battlelog has all the options built in. With Steam you have to change a couple Windows options (making the headset the default communication device is one of them I can remember) since Steam's voice options are so poor.
moob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 837 Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I've been on Win 8 since RC so I wouldn't know about 7, but It never used to pop up on base 8. At least not that I remember.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is offline  
post #633 of 837 Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Where is the best place to download a free and secure version of "Black Mesa", the HL redux. I've already dl source engine 6 & 7 on Steam to accommodate the game. But I'm leery about downloading content from a site that may have malicious code to my PC. Is joining the site "blackmesasource.com" the place to do this?
barrelbelly is offline  
post #634 of 837 Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Anyone else download " Path of Exile " free from steam? It's pretty cool so far - it's almost EXACTLY like Diablo 2 - with a HUGE skill tree, different classes - and slightly better graphics. Not coincidentally made by the the same guys from Blizzard North who actually made Diablo 2.
Sean Spamilton is offline  
post #635 of 837 Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Anyone else download " Path of Exile " free from steam? It's pretty cool so far - it's almost EXACTLY like Diablo 2 - with a HUGE skill tree, different classes - and slightly better graphics. Not coincidentally made by the the same guys from Blizzard North who actually made Diablo 2.

Been playing for month. Stopped but with the new release need to check it out. I no longer play Diablo because of it smile.gif
Excellent game.
Wytchone is offline  
post #636 of 837 Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,798
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Anyone else download " Path of Exile " free from steam? It's pretty cool so far - it's almost EXACTLY like Diablo 2 - with a HUGE skill tree, different classes - and slightly better graphics. Not coincidentally made by the the same guys from Blizzard North who actually made Diablo 2.

How is it monetized? I usually write ftp games off without a second thought, but I'll bite if it's not too exploitative.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #637 of 837 Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,999
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Where is the best place to download a free and secure version of "Black Mesa", the HL redux. I've already dl source engine 6 & 7 on Steam to accommodate the game. But I'm leery about downloading content from a site that may have malicious code to my PC. Is joining the site "blackmesasource.com" the place to do this?

Is it not available on steam?

Blackmesasource is the official site.

When I did it, there was a md5 code to verify, and there was no need to join.
barrelbelly likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #638 of 837 Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Is it not available on steam?

Blackmesasource is the official site.

When I did it, there was a md5 code to verify, and there was no need to join.

Thanks YRD. I'll revisit the site and see if I can do it without joining or loading any bloatware.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #639 of 837 Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I down loaded Black Mesa last night. And played it awhile. Graphics are much...much better. So are the game mechanics IMO. I have to say though, that I really missed playing it with a controller like I did the Orange Box on my Xbox 360. Is there a way or patch to use my wired Xbox 360 controller with it? My general impression was favorable. But I have to admit...the game moved kinda slow and became a little boring after awhile. I'll see if it picks up. Because I never played the original Half Life. I got addicted to the game with the Orange Box. But I do want to gain this backstory perspective before the new one comes out. The plan is to slog through this one. Replay the Orange Box on Xbox 360 & pick up a bunch of missing achievements. Then play Half Life 3 when it launches.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #640 of 837 Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

How is it monetized? I usually write ftp games off without a second thought, but I'll bite if it's not too exploitative.

So far it seems like it employs a barter - like system. For instance, I trade longbow and claws in at the dealer, but instead of gold I get a scroll of wisdom ( identify ). If I want to buy a scepter it costs me 3 scrolls of identify - that type of thing.
Sean Spamilton is offline  
post #641 of 837 Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
mjfoster77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is System shock 2? Is it worth the $3 its going for on steam....

xbox live:sixsec assassin
mjfoster77 is offline  
post #642 of 837 Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,798
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfoster77 View Post

How is System shock 2? Is it worth the $3 its going for on steam....

 

Honestly, it was a great game for it's time, but it just doesn't hold up.


Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #643 of 837 Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
mjfoster77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, that's what was afraid of... It is only $3. But I have so many newer games to play

xbox live:sixsec assassin
mjfoster77 is offline  
post #644 of 837 Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Just finished episode 1 of " The Wolf Among Us ". Very cool take on old fairy tale characters in a modern setting. If you liked Telltale Games " The Walking Dead " - this is a must play for you. Loved it, can't wait for episode 2!
Sean Spamilton is offline  
post #645 of 837 Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Just got the new Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed 4 on pre-order.

Newegg was awesome. I bought my 780 last month and got Batman Arkham Origins on promo. Found out a couple weeks ago Nvidia was going to be doing a Holiday Bundle, Batman + Splinter Cell + Assassin's Creed 4. I was curious so I sent Nvidia an email, asking if the promo would be retro-active to any length of time for those of us who spent that kind of cash on a GPU. They said they weren't really in charge of it. All they do is send the retailers the little slips of paper with the redemption codes.

So I turned around and sent an email to Newegg, asking the same question. Went back and forth a couple emails since the agent I spoke to couldn't verify they were even participating (they hadn't been informed yet). They asked for a link to the announcement, I sent it, they sent back, that because they were unsure on their participation, they couldn't give me an answer.

Fast forward to the 28th, I see the promo now up on Newegg, fired off an email asking if there was an update. CS Rep just said they were going to go ahead and send me the paper with the redemption code for AC4 and Splinter Cell since I had already gotten Batman. They shipped it out yesterday, just got to my door a little bit ago. So now AC4 is on pre-order until the 19th when it releases, and Splinter Cell Blacklist (Deluxe Edition btw) is currently downloading.

Only thing that sorta sucks maybe for some folks, is the way the games are redeemed. Batman was a Steam key. AC4 and Splinter Cell are coupon codes you enter on the Ubisoft online store that makes the cost $0 and you buy them, so they activate on UPlay. Not a big deal to me, but it might be to some.

God I love Newegg, they have awesome CS people. They didn't have to do that for me, at all, but they just said yeah, sure, here you go, thanks for being a customer.
barrelbelly likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is offline  
post #646 of 837 Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Airion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I've also got Assassin's Creed 4 on pre-order. It's my favorite current series, so I'm looking forward to it!

With that in mind, I finally reloaded the Assassin's Creed 3 DLC, The Tyranny of Washington. I left it months ago part way through the second chapter. While I liked the premise, considering that Washington was known to brush aside any suggestions that he be king of the US, ultimately I couldn't feel very invested given that it's an alternate history (on top of the pseudo-alternate history that AC:3 already is). But, I figured with AC:4 coming up, I should try to finish it. I didn't worry about meeting optional goals, I just aimed to plow through it. Turns out, I had a good time with it! Gameplay was a blast (though I imagine it would be frustrating if you were to try for full sync) and the overall experience short enough that it kept the momentum and didn't get old.
DaverJ likes this.
Airion is offline  
post #647 of 837 Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Just got the new Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed 4 on pre-order.

Newegg was awesome. I bought my 780 last month and got Batman Arkham Origins on promo. Found out a couple weeks ago Nvidia was going to be doing a Holiday Bundle, Batman + Splinter Cell + Assassin's Creed 4. I was curious so I sent Nvidia an email, asking if the promo would be retro-active to any length of time for those of us who spent that kind of cash on a GPU. They said they weren't really in charge of it. All they do is send the retailers the little slips of paper with the redemption codes.

So I turned around and sent an email to Newegg, asking the same question. Went back and forth a couple emails since the agent I spoke to couldn't verify they were even participating (they hadn't been informed yet). They asked for a link to the announcement, I sent it, they sent back, that because they were unsure on their participation, they couldn't give me an answer.

Fast forward to the 28th, I see the promo now up on Newegg, fired off an email asking if there was an update. CS Rep just said they were going to go ahead and send me the paper with the redemption code for AC4 and Splinter Cell since I had already gotten Batman. They shipped it out yesterday, just got to my door a little bit ago. So now AC4 is on pre-order until the 19th when it releases, and Splinter Cell Blacklist (Deluxe Edition btw) is currently downloading.

Only thing that sorta sucks maybe for some folks, is the way the games are redeemed. Batman was a Steam key. AC4 and Splinter Cell are coupon codes you enter on the Ubisoft online store that makes the cost $0 and you buy them, so they activate on UPlay. Not a big deal to me, but it might be to some.

God I love Newegg, they have awesome CS people. They didn't have to do that for me, at all, but they just said yeah, sure, here you go, thanks for being a customer.

Sweet!. You are my new HERO MAN. That was a huge burst of luck slung your way. You must be living right. I can't get one number right on a lottery ticket! Have a ton of fun with the new toys. I had 3 freebies DL on UPlay too. They play just as flawlessly as Steam IMO. And I love it. I'm gonna get another Asus HD 7870 during Black Friday sales. just to get 2-3 more free games. And Crossfire it with the one I already have installed. That should have me pretty set until Oculus Rift comes next year.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #648 of 837 Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,798
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Just got the new Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed 4 on pre-order.

Newegg was awesome. I bought my 780 last month and got Batman Arkham Origins on promo. Found out a couple weeks ago Nvidia was going to be doing a Holiday Bundle, Batman + Splinter Cell + Assassin's Creed 4. I was curious so I sent Nvidia an email, asking if the promo would be retro-active to any length of time for those of us who spent that kind of cash on a GPU. They said they weren't really in charge of it. All they do is send the retailers the little slips of paper with the redemption codes.

So I turned around and sent an email to Newegg, asking the same question. Went back and forth a couple emails since the agent I spoke to couldn't verify they were even participating (they hadn't been informed yet). They asked for a link to the announcement, I sent it, they sent back, that because they were unsure on their participation, they couldn't give me an answer.

Fast forward to the 28th, I see the promo now up on Newegg, fired off an email asking if there was an update. CS Rep just said they were going to go ahead and send me the paper with the redemption code for AC4 and Splinter Cell since I had already gotten Batman. They shipped it out yesterday, just got to my door a little bit ago. So now AC4 is on pre-order until the 19th when it releases, and Splinter Cell Blacklist (Deluxe Edition btw) is currently downloading.

Only thing that sorta sucks maybe for some folks, is the way the games are redeemed. Batman was a Steam key. AC4 and Splinter Cell are coupon codes you enter on the Ubisoft online store that makes the cost $0 and you buy them, so they activate on UPlay. Not a big deal to me, but it might be to some.

God I love Newegg, they have awesome CS people. They didn't have to do that for me, at all, but they just said yeah, sure, here you go, thanks for being a customer.

It's too bad the bundles are non-steam uplay versions, you could have been playing my copy of splinter cell already.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #649 of 837 Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's too bad the bundles are non-steam uplay versions, you could have been playing my copy of splinter cell already.

Doesn't really bother me because I would have bought it during the christmas sale most likely. And I probably will buy it again on Steam when it's like $10 or less.

I do that a lot because I like the consolidation of Steam lol.

But I've yet to have any major issues with ANY digital distribution service.

I hear people complain about issues with Origin, Uplay, GFWL, etc ALL the time, and I've yet to have anything happen that wasn't a quick simple fix lol. So the fact they're not Steam versions, really doesn't bother me lol

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is offline  
post #650 of 837 Old 11-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hawkwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Finally fired up Crysis 3 on my new pc build. Wow this game looks awesome! Only played for about 20 mins from the beginning. A have everything maxed with the graphics settings, except only 2x AA, vsync off. Fraps is showing consistent 37-40 fps. Very impressed with the visuals. I guess I was expecting it to look identical to the last Crysis.
Hawkwing is offline  
post #651 of 837 Old 11-03-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Any of you guys play 4x stuff? I dug Xcom and enjoy Starcraft. Anything out there like those? Civ 5 was too deep for me.
darthrsg is offline  
post #652 of 837 Old 11-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Any of you guys play 4x stuff? I dug Xcom and enjoy Starcraft. Anything out there like those? Civ 5 was too deep for me.

Well none of those are technically 4x. XCom is strat, SC is RTS, and Civ V is also strat. Or at least I don't lump them into the 4x category

Games in a similar vein though -

Endless Space
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Sword of the Stars 1 and 2
Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity and Rebellion
Star Ruler
Star Drive (sort of)

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is offline  
post #653 of 837 Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcadia88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Path of Exile. Worst of 3 worlds. Free to play is a cancer on the gaming world from what I've seen of ios games. It's a Diablo clone, unrewarding loot grind hell. And last but no least it does not support a gamepad.
Back to Borderlands 2.
Arcadia88 is offline  
post #654 of 837 Old 11-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

Path of Exile. Worst of 3 worlds. Free to play is a cancer on the gaming world from what I've seen of ios games. It's a Diablo clone, unrewarding loot grind hell. And last but no least it does not support a gamepad.
Back to Borderlands 2.

It ought to be a Diablo clone as most of the team that made it are the guys that made Diablo 2 that no longer work for Blizzard lol

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is offline  
post #655 of 837 Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sean Spamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

Path of Exile. Worst of 3 worlds. Free to play is a cancer on the gaming world from what I've seen of ios games. It's a Diablo clone, unrewarding loot grind hell. And last but no least it does not support a gamepad.
Back to Borderlands 2.

Funny - I quite like it. But then I loved Diablo 2. It's like Diablo 2 1/2 really - and it's free. I primarily use a mouse and keyboard anyways, so that's not a drawback for me. Honestly anyone who enjoyed Diablo is bound to enjoy it.
Sean Spamilton is offline  
post #656 of 837 Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

Path of Exile. Worst of 3 worlds. Free to play is a cancer on the gaming world from what I've seen of ios games. It's a Diablo clone, unrewarding loot grind hell. And last but no least it does not support a gamepad.
Back to Borderlands 2.
Lol, well if you want to take this guys word for it...

Basically the entire ARPG community praises the game and says the exact opposite of what you just listed here. It is the Diablo 3 that everyone wanted and never got.

The Free to Play model is easily the most generous in any F2P game ever. There is 0 pay to win, not even xp boosts or anything. The only thing you may want to buy is more stash tabs, but they give you more stash space then a fully unlocked D3 stash has for free (and I paid $60 for that). You get *26* character slots for free but can buy more if you somehow run out. Everything in the store is pure cosmetics other then that (weapon glows, non combat pets, etc).

The developers are oldschool, hardcore gamers and they wanted to make a game that caters to gamers rather then casuals. They are also heavily involved in the community and it's not uncommon to see the CEO chatting with people in global chat in the game and answering questions and talking about future plans and stuff.

The game doesn't have the polish that D3 has, but then again, it is free and made by a small team of developers who are focused more on having strong game mechanics then textures and animations.
Sean Spamilton likes this.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
krimson is online now  
post #657 of 837 Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Well none of those are technically 4x. XCom is strat, SC is RTS, and Civ V is also strat. Or at least I don't lump them into the 4x category

Games in a similar vein though -

Endless Space
Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Sword of the Stars 1 and 2
Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity and Rebellion
Star Ruler
Star Drive (sort of)

Endless Space prompted me to ask but I do lump the aforementioned into that genre. The next closest thing to the new Xcom is Jagged Alliance but it too micro manage-y for me. I want some more like that.

I'll be grabbing Endless Space when it's on sale next. I'd been passing it over.
darthrsg is offline  
post #658 of 837 Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcadia88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post


Basically the entire ARPG community praises the game and says the exact opposite of what you just listed here. It is the Diablo 3 that everyone wanted and never got.

I'll give it another chance once I go online and read up on how to enable gamepad support. But the thing is. I dispise diablo 3. Hate it! diablo 3 blows. No happy memories playing diablo 3. Not a one. Lots of rage. I remember the rage.
Arcadia88 is offline  
post #659 of 837 Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Member
 
gui3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm actually playing GTA5 on the PS3 right now....though it's only 720P (ugh), they have really done nice things with the lighting and character models

Back on the PC, I just reinstalled Skyrim and got it running at 2560x1440 with the STEP mods. The game, at this resolution, is absolutely amazing. I basically know all the stories at this point, but I can't stop playing.
gui3 is offline  
post #660 of 837 Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
krimson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

I'll give it another chance once I go online and read up on how to enable gamepad support. But the thing is. I dispise diablo 3. Hate it! diablo 3 blows. No happy memories playing diablo 3. Not a one. Lots of rage. I remember the rage.
No gamepad support, it's a clicker.

To be fair I am not trying to suggest that you should be enjoying the game. If you don't like Diablo, you'll likely hate PoE. You just seemed to be writing it off for all the wrong reasons.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
krimson is online now  
Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Black Mesa , Batman Arkham Origins , Grand Theft Auto V , Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Collectors Edition

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off