AVS Forum banner

PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]

99K views 2K replies 169 participants last post by  TitusTroy 
#1 ·
Got a PC game, old or new, you just started or finished and want to discuss? Post about it here.

Want to follow discussions about the PC games AVS Forum members are playing? Subscribe to this thread.

No rules* - hopefully hardware and configuration talk will be secondary to things like gameplay, graphics/sound, and controller support.

*actually one rule: don't ruin a game for others. If you think something might give away a plot point or puzzle solution, please tag with ["spoiler"] at the start and ["/spoiler"] at the end, without quotation marks.

#702 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/690#post_24095336

I have the PS3 version, very good game.

It was developed by Platinum Games, (one of my favorite studios) so if you've played any of their other titles you'll like Revengeance.

Oh yeah...Platinum Games...

#703 ·
Just got Trine 2 for 90% off ($1.99). Holy crap this game is eye candy! It's pretty damn fun, too. I'm impressed.

#705 ·
Picked up Guacamelee! Gold Edition during Steam sale, and I know I'm late to the party but what a delight. Excellent platforming and chain-based combat, in a fun Mexican-themed silly game. It does the Metroid thing of hinting at secrets and new areas without knowing how to unlock them, and then an ability is given to make you go "ah HA! Now I can reach that area!".

If you've missed this game and like 2D platforming even a little, it's highly recommended. Must play with a gamepad.

#706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/690#post_24125821

Picked up Guacamelee! Gold Edition during Steam sale, and I know I'm late to the party but what a delight. Excellent platforming and chain-based combat, in a fun Mexican-themed silly game. It does the Metroid thing of hinting at secrets and new areas without knowing how to unlock them, and then an ability is given to make you go "ah HA! Now I can reach that area!".

If you've missed this game and like 2D platforming even a little, it's highly recommended. Must play with a gamepad.

Steamworld Dig scratched an itch as well.

#708 ·
Stayed up late last night because I could not stop playing till I finished 'Gone Home'.

It's not so much a game as interactive story book. Nice way to start and end a mystery. That house was nicely creepy. Entering a dark room to look for a light switch was fun.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I'm still confused about the uncles part in the story. I managed to open the safe in the servants room and it seemed to imply that he was the moms brother and was cast out of the family from overseas. Do I have that right?

#709 ·
I'm still not clear on his part either.

It was an interesting game mostly because the subject matter is basically uncharted territory. I can't recall any other games that revolved entirely around nothing more than family drama. I still think it's overrated because in the end it's basically just walking SLOWLY around a house trying to find audio logs.

I really didn't like the ending though, I thought it was super lazy. They should have followed through on what they set up.

#710 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/690#post_24136202

I'm still not clear on his part either.

It was an interesting game mostly because the subject matter is basically uncharted territory. I can't recall any other games that revolved entirely around nothing more than family drama. I still think it's overrated because in the end it's basically just walking SLOWLY around a house trying to find audio logs.

I really didn't like the ending though, I thought it was super lazy. They should have followed through on what they set up.

Agree. Let's strap an after school special on a shooter.

I do respect the attempt on getting the emotional juices flowing. I really enjoyed Brothers and TLOU this year. Just a little outside the box was a good thing in the land of Gears of Duty.

I messed up and got Sins of A Solar Empire and lost a day of my life. It's a lot more accessible than Endless Space and fits just right with a cup of Joe.

#711 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/700_50#post_24136344

Agree. Let's strap an after school special on a shooter.

I do respect the attempt on getting the emotional juices flowing. I really enjoyed Brothers and TLOU this year. Just a little outside the box was a good thing in the land of Gears of Duty.

I messed up and got Sins of A Solar Empire and lost a day of my life. It's a lot more accessible than Endless Space and fits just right with a cup of Joe.

Man I'd sure love to see how call of duty would handle "don't ask, don't tell" though.

#713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/690#post_24136022

Stayed up late last night because I could not stop playing till I finished 'Gone Home'.

It's not so much a game as interactive story book. Nice way to start and end a mystery. That house was nicely creepy. Entering a dark room to look for a light switch was fun.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I'm still confused about the uncles part in the story. I managed to open the safe in the servants room and it seemed to imply that he was the moms brother and was cast out of the family from overseas. Do I have that right?

Re Uncle in Gone Home (well, father's uncle):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) There are hints throughout the game that perhaps the father's uncle sexually assaulted the father. It's been a long time since I've played though so I can't give details.

Edit: Here's a good summary/write-up: http://clockworkworlds.com/post/58411117679/the-transgression-you-can-do-better

#714 ·
I did a google of Uncle Oscar and this amazing link came up.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) It makes the main Sam story seem pale in comparison but if the daughter would insert herself into her stories as the captain then it looks like her Dad was inserting himself into his SiFi story about going back intime and saving Kenedy.

Ah I see you beat me to the link Jhoff80.

#715 ·
Anyone care to drop a quick top five list here? I don't care about platform or if it was released in 2013 or if it had anti surfactant volumetric quad aliasing on a single core or if it went from ludicrous to plaid.

1. The Last of Us, PS3

2. Torchlight 2, PC

3.Steamworld Dig, PC

4. Ni no Kuni, PS3

5. Dragon's Dogma, 360

#716 ·
I tried so hard to like torchlight 2 but I kept falling asleep while playing it. It seemed like the only way to succeed in that game was to pump all your points into two skills and just click click click on everything. I usually finish 90% of the games I start but I don't think I got more than 30% through it because it was so rote and boring.

The game I prob played the most this year was civ V. I didn't have a proper gaming PC for a couple years until I finally built one this spring, and I've spent most of the year catching up on PC exclusives that I've missed. I was so absorbed in civ that I lost entire weekends to it. I'm trying so hard to avoid buying brave new world because I know the cycle will begin all over again.

Of all the new games this year, the last of us is the one I was most impressed by. Brothers was the most memorable though. And puppeteer was a tragically underappreciated gem. And despite how everyone seems so down on it, I thought cod ghosts was really good and brought some of the magic back to cod that was lacking in Blops 2.

Reactions: darthrsg
#717 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/690#post_24141082

I tried so hard to like torchlight 2 but I kept falling asleep while playing it. It seemed like the only way to succeed in that game was to pump all your points into two skills and just click click click on everything. I usually finish 90% of the games I start but I don't think I got more than 30% through it because it was so rote and boring.

The game I prob played the most this year was civ V. I didn't have a proper gaming PC for a couple years until I finally built one this spring, and I've spent most of the year catching up on PC exclusives that I've missed. I was so absorbed in civ that I lost entire weekends to it. I'm trying so hard to avoid buying brave new world because I know the cycle will begin all over again.

Of all the new games this year, the last of us is the one I was most impressed by. Brothers was the most memorable though. And puppeteer was a tragically underappreciated gem. And despite how everyone seems so down on it, I thought cod ghosts was really good and brought some of the magic back to cod that was lacking in Blops 2.

I feel you on Civ. I could not get into that one and typically enjoy that stuff. For some reason Torchlight 2 was better than Diablo 3, for me. Both feel similar click click click. I liked Brothers too.

#718 ·
Here are my favorites of what I played this year. I'm not limiting to 5 and not putting them in any order. There are quite a few games this year that I have not played either.

Dragons Dogma

Dark Souls

Far Cry Blood Dragon

Last of Us

Witcher 2

Walking Dead

Rocksmith

Torchlight 2 was a bore for me too. I was super obsessed with the original Diablo but have not had the same level of interest for the sequels.

#719 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/690#post_24141233

Here are my favorites of what I played this year. I'm not limiting to 5 and not putting them in any order. There are quite a few games this year that I have not played either.

Dragons Dogma

Dark Souls

Far Cry Blood Dragon

Last of Us

Witcher 2

Walking Dead

Rocksmith

Torchlight 2 was a bore for me too. I was super obsessed with the original Diablo but have not had the same level of interest for the sequels.

Nice list, I like those too but I have no experience with Rocksmith. I liked the way Walking Dead was built but I am seriously zombied and FPS'd out. Blood Dragon was fun as heck and makes me want to revisit Crysis 2.

#720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/700_50#post_24141306

Nice list, I like those too but I have no experience with Rocksmith. I liked the way Walking Dead was built but I am seriously zombied and FPS'd out. Blood Dragon was fun as heck and makes me want to revisit Crysis 2.

Crysis 2 is the best in the series, they did an awesome job recreating NYC.

#721 ·
Man, tough to nail down 5 top all-time games!

In no order:

1) Pinball FX2/Pinball Arcade (tie)

2) Borderlands 2

3) Batman Arkham Asylum

4) Doom 3

5) Assassin's Creed series (2 might be the favorite, but all except Brotherhood have been very enjoyable)

Must mentions: Mario and Zelda for the joy they brought in the past, GTA for it's flawed brilliance, the Burnout series for crazy insane fun, Mirror's Edge is a near-perfect game, a couple of the Prince of Persia reboots, and maybe the Halo series.

I know I'm forgetting dozens of other favorites.

#722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/720#post_24141758

Man, tough to nail down 5 top all-time games!

No pressure. I could list 50 I'm sure but the constraint forces the cream to rise. Just look at how you mention Halo in a PC thread.

#723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/700_50#post_24141763

No pressure. I could list 50 I'm sure but the constraint forces the cream to rise. Just look at how you mention Halo in a PC thread.

I'm gonna red flag the next person that mentions a console game!

#726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin-no-spoilers-unless-tagged/700_50#post_24141864

I probably should put the Diablo series in my list. I've picked D3 back up, and I'm loving it as much as I did #2. Maybe more.

I ain't afraid to say it. I like D3 way better than D2. I guess that was my prob with torchlight, the mechanics are still exactly the same as d2. D3 encouraged you to experiment, d2/t2 punish you for not min/maxing.

Reactions: DaverJ