AVS Forum banner

PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]

99K views 2K replies 169 participants last post by  TitusTroy 
#1 ·
Got a PC game, old or new, you just started or finished and want to discuss? Post about it here.

Want to follow discussions about the PC games AVS Forum members are playing? Subscribe to this thread.

No rules* - hopefully hardware and configuration talk will be secondary to things like gameplay, graphics/sound, and controller support.

*actually one rule: don't ruin a game for others. If you think something might give away a plot point or puzzle solution, please tag with ["spoiler"] at the start and ["/spoiler"] at the end, without quotation marks.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/30#post_22953004

Try DX11 and a High-Res pack and play with the settings. You won't run well on Ultra, but a 560 Ti should handle it pretty well at lower settings. If not, turn off DX11 or the texture pack.

I'm sucked into Skyrim again. Put 60 hours in this past summer with a KBM, then shelved it. Been playing with the controller this time around and I'm loving it even more.

I found it much more enjoyable with the controller too.

#53 ·
Speaking of controller support:

PET PEEVE TIME

I admit that PC game devs have done a good job integrating gamepad controller support in PC games/ports over the last couple years. This is very important to me because I pretty much only use a wired 360 controller for PC games (see my sig). And yes, I've used keyboard/mouse for years and don't deny it's a superior control method, especially for first-person shooters. But I now game exclusively from a recliner, and Kb/M just isn't as comfortable as the gamepad to me.

So where's the beef? I hate it when games with controller support still give keyboard on-screen prompts. I'm looking at you, Fear 3!!!! This game fully supports the 360 controller, and even the menu can call up a map of the controller and what button does what. But every prompt is "space to jump", "E to interact", "mouse scroll wheel to switch weapons", etc. UGGGG! Trial and error can solve this, but still - I've seen games that will give a keyboard prompt if using a keyboard and automatically switch to gamepad prompts if using a gamepad. THAT'S a good interface.

I should also mention Homefront, which in addition to committing the above sin, also fails to have any auto-aim for gamepad. Again, I can hear the purists who think auto-aiming with gamepads is for chumps. SHUDDUP, controllers need auto-aim, so deal with it.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox now, and about to load up Borderlands (1) for the first time - hoping for proper gamepad support.

EDIT: re: Borderlands - ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

#55 ·
Played more Dead Space 2 over the weekend. These survival horror games (ala Resident Evil) aren't my favorite because of their slow pace, limited ammo and frequent deaths. Either you like to play games that way, or you don't. I would rather run-and-gun, explore, and not have to worry too much about wasting ammo.

But this console port appeals to me in because of the sci-fi setting, some fantastic lighting effects and nice high-rez textures. And as I progressed further into the game, I found I really like design decisions made. My favorite is clicking on the right stick will briefly show a colored path to the next objective, save station, workbench, or store. This is handy to reorient after a boss battle - it's nice not getting lost/stuck!

One thing that drives me crazy, I guess in a good way, is money and power nodes aren't as plentiful (intentionally) as I want them to be, so upgrades are limiting. The player has to choose wisely. This always leads me to regret my last upgrade decision - "this battle would be a lot easier if I had added one more level of stasis instead of upgrading a weapon I'm not using", etc. I guess that's what the save slots are for.

Anyway, Dead Space 2 looks and plays great on the PC. I look forward to playing this to the end, and I'll definitely get #3 when it goes on sale.

#59 ·
I'm still playin Diablo 3. Finally beat Interno with a friend. Trying to bump up the monster power levels. That gets insanely hard. Also on the second playthrough of Borderlands 2. I've got some games on Steam that were great deals just sitting there waiting for me to play. On a non-PC note, I'm waiting for my copy of Metal Gear Rising on PS3 to come. If that had that on PC, I would be all over it. Thinking about trying Resident Evil 6. I'm a sucker for those games, but there seems be a trail of stinkers lately with that franchise so I'm a little leary. And who doesnt' love Angry Birds Star Wars and Bloons TD 5? Good time wasters.

#60 ·
Just picked up Crysis 3 from Gamestop. Preorder got a download code for Crysis 1.

Looks like I'm going to have to sign up for an Origin account in order to install and play the game.

I'm starting to regret moving over to PC gaming because of this. I now have a Steam account, and a Uplay account for Farcry 3.

I wonder if I'm going to need a 'insert whoever publishes' account to play Bioshock Infinite when it's released. I need to get out of the mindset of having game disks that way I can just Steam everything. But downloading multiple dvd's worth of content is painful.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/60#post_22985002

I wish I liked racing games enough to buy a setup like that. It's the highlight of a 3 monitor setup.

This doesn't suck either.

#63 ·
DIEablo! Still has that wierd FOV thing on the side monitors. Maybe it was the angle, only looked like the left side was doing it. I don't know if racing games are like that, but it doesn't appear that way.

Way too much screen. Having to move my head that much would annoy me. I think 27-30" is probably the biggest I would want at that seating distance.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/60#post_22985141

DIEablo!

Way too much screen. Having to move my head that much would annoy me. I think 27-30" is probably the biggest I would want at that seating distance.

Too much? Not enough. I'm kidding of course. I do think the inventory on one screen is pretty awesome though.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/60#post_22985141

DIEablo! Still has that wierd FOV thing on the side monitors. Maybe it was the angle, only looked like the left side was doing it. I don't know if racing games are like that, but it doesn't appear that way.

The FOV is hard to see from a camera. When you're sitting in front of it everything lines up perfectly and seamlessly. Right now rFactor 1 and 2 and iRacing are the best at it. Everything else is either "ok" to "not great"

#69 ·
Still playing Minecraft, and really that's it at the moment, though I have a ginormous backlog of games I still need to either finish, or even just start (Probably close to 300 or more). Looking forward to the new Sniper Elite standalone on the 28th though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/60#post_22985497

I'm reading bad things about Crysis and SecuROM on Amazon. Can anybody describe their experiences with this third party DRM s/w? Does it even apply if d/l'ing Crysis 3 from Steam?

Won't be on Steam for quite a while, just like Crysis 2 since the debacle with the DLC crap. EA won't put it on Steam until a 'complete' version is done. Byt then I doubt you'll have to worry about it.

I personally have had no issues with any form of DRM and I always here crazy horror stories about them, either I'm lucky as hell, or the majority of people are just incredibly stupid.

#70 ·
Still have yet to take the plunge into Minecraft. I missed the initial wave, so I lost the enthusiasm. I still want to give it a shot sometime though. Glad to see folks are still playing it.

Speaking of old games, I've been working my way through the two GTA4 episodes. I skipped them at launch, but picked them up during the Winter Steam sales. The mechanics don't hold up well at all, but for all that, they're still fun as hell.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/60#post_22986137

Still have yet to take the plunge into Minecraft. I missed the initial wave, so I lost the enthusiasm. I still want to give it a shot sometime though. Glad to see folks are still playing it.

Speaking of old games, I've been working my way through the two GTA4 episodes. I skipped them at launch, but picked them up during the Winter Steam sales. The mechanics don't hold up well at all, but for all that, they're still fun as hell.

You ever do take the plunge I run my own server using the Direwolf20 modpack for Minecraft, pretty small group of us right now, but all very friendly and very helpful

#74 ·
I just recently got into PC gaming and am trying to build a friends list! Not one friend of mine is into pc's, only xbox. Anyone play bf3? my handle is mikeclough24 on uplay and steam as well.. down to play any game.. I currently have bf3, nba 2k13, dishonored, skyrim, deus ex, ghost recon, diablo 3, guild wars 2, gta4, and mafia 2. Hit me up!

#75 ·
Working my way through The Witcher 2. Wow. Best RPG since Morrowind. Hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye  /t/1455292/pc-games-thread-whatcha-playin/60#post_22986261

You ever do take the plunge I run my own server using the Direwolf20 modpack for Minecraft, pretty small group of us right now, but all very friendly and very helpful
Good to know. I'll let you know when I do.