PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 233Likes

Old 11-28-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED]

I've always tried so hard to get into the Deus Ex games ever since the first, but I get so frustrated with its trial-and-errorness that I lose interest a few hours in.

Right now I'm still trying to finish the witcher 3, and I've been playing that since it came out. So needless to say my game time is very precious and limited and I don't want to spend it on anything I'm not completely enjoying. Once these little buggers grow up a bit I'll be able to take my time again. I still buy games like I've got lots of time to play em, and the pile of shame just keeps growing.
Modicen likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Just picked this up on sale for 50% off .............. wooohooo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 11-28-15 at 02.54 PM.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	1085042  

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
Old 12-02-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Going back and forth between Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3 right now.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked: 3641
Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Just Cause 3, Elite Dangerous Horizons (Beta), Fallout 4

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Started playing Final Fantasy XIV again the other day after I snagged the base game on PS4 for around $7. Haven't played in about a year and a half. Not sure I can get used to the controller on PS4 for anything other than casual low level play. But I hear my Logitech G600 MMO mouse will work out of the box on FFXIV. Just need to go find it. I split my time between PC and PS4 depending on which character I'm playing. My main is on Hyperion and my alt is on Midgardsormr. Trying to get through all the content up to patch 2.55 so I can do the Heavensward stuff. Got something like 85 quests left to do.

Anyone still playing at all?

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Anyone still playing at all?
Not FF, but on PC I've been going through Batman: Arkham Knight's story (already finished it 97% on Xbox One), along with the extra season pass race stuff. Waiting to tackle the extra fighting stuff until I upgrade combat further in story mode, and keeping the new character stories for later.

Just bought Helldivers on Steam - launching now.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Just got done with the original Call of Duty.

Now, a few hours into CoD United Offensive. The combat mechanics are decent for the time. The sound effects of many of the rifles are a real treat, I must say better than expected. Since before starting this CoD adventure I had only played CoD MW3 back in 2012. Now I have all the CoD's that are available on Windows and really beginning to enjoy playing through these in their chronological release order

Old 02-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The high-point of the series for me is definitely CoD 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, Infinity Ward at their best.
stevew24963 likes this.

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
UPlay ID - Kenshiro26
Old 02-03-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Death From Above,my favorite mission on CoD 4.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Not FF, but on PC I've been going through Batman: Arkham Knight's story (already finished it 97% on Xbox One), along with the extra season pass race stuff. Waiting to tackle the extra fighting stuff until I upgrade combat further in story mode, and keeping the new character stories for later.

Just bought Helldivers on Steam - launching now.

My biggest problem playing batman ak, besides the focus on the car, was not having a refresher on all the baked in combat moves from the older games. There were quite a few special attacks that I had to do several rounds of practice and menu hunting to remember and then add to my combos to try and max the combat scores.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Blood and Bacon! best .99 I have spent on a game yet!

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Just started playing rocket league 2 weeks ago... amazing game

Steam - jemkewl
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Right now playing in the Bombing mission (CoD UO) in the B-17. The pilot has got me running back and forth to the different guns on the plane and its really exciting. My room is filled with Klipsch RF-II's even on the ceiling and it is so much fun I was literally busting up laughing while shooting German planes down and running around as the pilot is calling out needed tasks ... my family was like wow it sound so realistic in there, and i say yup and this game is "only" 11yrs old

Old 02-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
After 330 hours, still playing Empire Total War
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Just got done with the original Call of Duty.

Now, a few hours into CoD United Offensive. The combat mechanics are decent for the time. The sound effects of many of the rifles are a real treat, I must say better than expected. Since before starting this CoD adventure I had only played CoD MW3 back in 2012. Now I have all the CoD's that are available on Windows and really beginning to enjoy playing through these in their chronological release order
Did you buy them during the recent sales like I did? I didn't buy the WWII era CoDs though. I have a feeling that playing those today with the dated visuals would taint my memory of them and I want to remember them as being awesome. lol

CoD 4 (I played it a lot online when it came out) holds up fairly okay and though the mechanics have been copied and perfected over time in a lot of other games there are still moments in that game that stand out, like All Ghillied Up and some other moments I won't spoil. What was surprising to me was how much fun I had with the Modern Warfare series as a whole. They're sort of like the Fast and the Furious of videogames. They probably won't win any awards, but I'll be damned if they're not entertaining as hell.

On the other hand, I just couldn't get into Black Ops. I don't know if it was the era it was set in or because the story was incredibly predictable but it didn't do it for me. And you'll have to let me know how BO2 and Ghosts are. Both of them loved crashing to the point that I just didn't have the patience to keep playing. I've searched around online and I've seen a lot of people with similar issues in both games so hopefully you don't run into them. I have a feeling it's because of Windows 10 but all the older CoD games worked fine and all of my other games work fine so I don't know. I could have tried to isolate the problem but there are too many other games without issues to play.

I didn't get BO3 or AW yet. Not sure if I will now but if they're cheap enough down the line I might bite.

As an aside, CoD needs a new graphics engine. I couldn't believe that Ghosts and BF4 came out the same year. Hell, even BF3 looked better than Ghosts and that came out 2 years prior.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
Did you buy them during the recent sales like I did? I didn't buy the WWII era CoDs though. I have a feeling that playing those today with the dated visuals would taint my memory of them and I want to remember them as being awesome. lol

I didn't get BO3 or AW yet. Not sure if I will now but if they're cheap enough down the line I might bite.

As an aside, CoD needs a new graphics engine. I couldn't believe that Ghosts and BF4 came out the same year. Hell, even BF3 looked better than Ghosts and that came out 2 years prior.
I bought the games at various times prior to the current sale. But, there were several that did go on sale in the past that prompted me to throw down the coin.

Not playing some select older games in an effort to preserve the memory you have is perfectly understandable considering how far the industry has come with graphics, maps, player interaction, intelligent AI, weapon & player mechanics ... etc ... this along with games you may have in queue or back log coupled with limited available time is just the things that help to justify that position you speak of.

Sure that makes sense especially if you aren't gonna utilize the Multiplayer and not just that but when online when the game is first released. I would say $20 is closer to what I "think" the average person is willing to spend for those (BO3 & AW) games. Although I can't give fair answer to that because I have not played them yet.

Yup, the CoD franchise needs a new engine for sure. But, not only the engine, its got a great deal to do with the development teams creativity, dedication, and time/budget/administrative pressure that makes these differences we see between games of a similar genre !!..Call of Duty / Battlefield..!! And since I don't have the time or desire to devote to both for lengthy online Multiplayer game I choose Battlefield. In BF4 I put approx 1100hrs but haven't played in almost a year.

So with the CoD franchise I am just enjoying playing through the campaigns in chronological order and seeing what positive things that its IP has to offer and also how the game has evolved during its various stages. Its enjoyable experience and is usually the approach (chronological release order) I try to take.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I really miss the whole WWII aspect of COD. The first couple were awesome!
stevew24963 likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Sure that makes sense especially if you aren't gonna utilize the Multiplayer and not just that but when online when the game is first released. I would say $20 is closer to what I "think" the average person is willing to spend for those (BO3 & AW) games. Although I can't give fair answer to that because I have not played them yet.

Yup, the CoD franchise needs a new engine for sure. But, not only the engine, its got a great deal to do with the development teams creativity, dedication, and time/budget/administrative pressure that makes these differences we see between games of a similar genre !!..Call of Duty / Battlefield..!! And since I don't have the time or desire to devote to both for lengthy online Multiplayer game I choose Battlefield. In BF4 I put approx 1100hrs but haven't played in almost a year.
It's closer to $10-$12 for me since I'm only going to be playing the campaign. I ran through the Modern Warfare games fairly quickly (less than 4 hours each) and Black Ops was less than 4.5.

You might want to give BF4 another go. DICE LA has put in a ton of work and it's now what it should have been at launch. High tickrate servers. New maps for everyone. Better weapon balance. A few tweaks from Hardline like showing the flag capture boundaries and player elevation on the mini-map. Monthly deployment briefs more than 2 years after release. The list goes on and on. If you do go back though, the way you download the new maps is kinda weird. You have to go to the Origin store and "purchase" Legacy Operations, Community Operations and Night Operations. I put "purchase" in quotes because while you do have to add them to your cart, they don't cost anything. A lot of people still play BF4 and it seems like players are going back to it. As I type this, almost 40,000 people are currently playing on PC alone. Over 150,000 across all platforms. O_o
Arutha_conDoin and W3Rman like this.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Just started playing Dragon's Dogma. Finally something to pull me away from Dark Souls 2!

Video: Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, Darbee Darblet, Samsung BD D6700 Blu Ray player, DIY Seymour Centerstage XD 138" Curved Screen
LCR - Tannoy DC12i, Sides - Tannoy IW63, Rears - Tannoy IW62tdc, Ceilings - Tannoy CMS 603DC (TF), Tannoy CMS 601DC (TR), Micro Marty/Full Marty DIY subs
Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva XPA-2, Outlaw Audio 7700, Inuke 6000DSP
Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
Old 02-12-2016, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Just started playing Dragon's Dogma. Finally something to pull me away from Dark Souls 2!
I have this on my wishlist. Thoughts? How hard is it?

I don't like games where I die too much.
barrelbelly likes this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 02-12-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I have this on my wishlist. Thoughts? How hard is it?

I don't like games where I die too much.
So far for me it's been easier than dark souls. It has a party format and had been fun. A little frustrating since you can wonder into higher level zones and not know it right away

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DaverJ likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I dabbled with Black Mesa a bit yesterday. I can't seem to get into it as much this time around. Maybe it's age, or mine is showing a bit now. I'm also playing Dragon Age Inquisition on Origin a lot. I got the full "game of the year" edition over the Holidays on sale for $24. It is truly a beautiful game. But I am having problems fully committing to it too. Right now I'm just aimlessly wandering around as a gal warrior wizard in the first level on easy settings...getting familiar with gameplay and combat mechanics. I'm not impressed with the story so far. Because it is not drawing me in at all. I hope it picks up...so I can start over at a harder setting as a guy warrior (the role I like to play). Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated on this one. Because I initially had the same issues with Mass Effect (years ago) and Kingdom of Amalur-Reckoning. But once those 2 games kicked into adrenaline mode...I was full bore hooked. And couldn't put either one down. I'm still dabbling with Darksiders 2 also. I actually love this game. But for some reason can't string together 3-4 days worth of gameplay on it. Maybe the boss battles are too difficult for me on the higher setting. So I may ratchet it down a bit and fully commit. That's my update from Barrel's basement.
W3Rman likes this.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I'm also playing Dragon Age Inquisition on Origin a lot. I got the full "game of the year" edition over the Holidays on sale for $24. It is truly a beautiful game. But I am having problems fully committing to it too. Right now I'm just aimlessly wandering around as a gal warrior wizard in the first level on easy settings...getting familiar with gameplay and combat mechanics. I'm not impressed with the story so far. Because it is not drawing me in at all. I hope it picks up...so I can start over at a harder setting as a guy warrior (the role I like to play). Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated on this one.
Dragon Age: Inquisition does start a little weak. But it becomes pretty awesome after you level up and gain abilities. And the story gets interesting. It helps when others join the Inquisition and, like Mass Effect, there's some interesting conversations between various characters (depending on who is in the party) while roaming the lands.

My advice - don't try to clear the first area completely. Just level up a bit, then open up new areas at the War Room. You can (and will) go back and do unfinished tasks in the first area, and you'll be stronger.
newfmp3 and barrelbelly like this.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Thanks DaverJ.
Great advice. Would you suggest just keeping the character I've started with (female Wizard)? Or starting over with a new one on normal or hard setting? Especially since I only have about 4-6 hours invested so far.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Finished CoD UO and now got CoD 2 installed along with SOMA. Will be playing CoD 2 during the day and SOMA at night. My weekend is starting in a couple of hours so looking forward watching "The Last Witch Hunter" and playing SOMA tonight. Also on the weekend ticket "Witchblade" I have hopes as reading reviews it looks to have an enchanting story that takes hold and doesn't let go ... LoL

Old 02-12-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

@W3Rman I enjoyed the last witch Hunter. Good popcorn flick.I would love to see a sequel, but I don't think it did well enough.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Thanks DaverJ.
Great advice. Would you suggest just keeping the character I've started with (female Wizard)? Or starting over with a new one on normal or hard setting? Especially since I only have about 4-6 hours invested so far.

When you get party members you will eventually get pretty much every class in the game to toy around with. I rented the vanilla game on ps4 then bought the goty on pc. I have yet to play the pc version though. I got to a point on PS4 where I killed almost all the dragons in the land and was pretty over powering, but never completed the game. I do intend to do it with the PC version some day. The beginning does start slow, then almost turns into a different game after you get past that first act.
barrelbelly likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 02-12-2016, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks DaverJ.
Not sure what class would be best as The Inquisitor. I picked a male dwarf, simply because there's rarely any dwarfs as main characters in these fantasy stories. He's quite interesting to play as - occasional interesting reaction from NPCs.

I enjoy the up-close, hack-and-slash combat, and rarely use the stop-time overhead tactical combat mode. I would just enter the combat area, pull the attack trigger, and go hacking. Played on Xbox One, btw.
barrelbelly likes this.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll be firing up Rise of the Tomb Raider tomorrow morning, only got to play for an hour or so since I installed it but the graphics look fantastic so far!

Cheers,
Jeff
LG 65UHD/Denon/OppO/HTPC/PS4/NHT/HSU/7.1
PSN: Krondorian
XBL: Midkemian
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Black Mesa , Batman Arkham Origins , Grand Theft Auto V , Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Collectors Edition