PC GAMES thread - whatcha playin'? [NO SPOILERS UNLESS TAGGED] - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 243Likes

Old 07-28-2016, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Went back to iRacing over the weekend. Probable spent 10 or 12 hours racing over the weekend.
stevew24963 likes this.

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
Steam ID: Budracin88
PSN ID: Budracin8808
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Finished -- CoD: BO's

Now playing -- CoD: MW3

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
Old 08-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Finished --> CoD: MW3
Now Playing --> CoD: BO II

I have a bunch of reading to prep for Deus Ex: MD release. Just got all of the Deus Ex comics like: Fallen Angel, Icarus Effect, Children's Crusade mini-series vol # 1-5 , and Black Light. After reading the free Fallen Angel story I got hooked and had to get the others. Once after reading these then to be ready for the complete Deus Ex play through in chronological order.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
well, I started wasteland 2 director's cut a week ago or so and
really enjoying it.. I'm surprised since I didn't like wasteland 1 ..
Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 3118
Anyone else pre-loading Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

Man, I hope the PC version is solid at launch.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 PM

I just got interested in the novels/comics so even though I own it already I am gonna wait till I finish the the literature before playing the game. This way maybe some kinks will get worked out.

Here (Deus Ex: Black Light) is a prequel novel to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 4749 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Anyone else pre-loading Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

Man, I hope the PC version is solid at launch.
I'm going to wait a little while. I LOVE Deus Ex but I spent my $60 on No Man's Sky already. In retrospect, wish I spent it on Deus Ex.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Played Doom this last week. It was on sale for $30 on steam and it was awesome! I highly recommend it, its incredibly fun chaotic action.

I think I might pick up Deus Ex, I kinda feel like I got burnt on No Mans Sky though so I may wait a few days.
DaverJ and W3Rman like this.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is pretty awesome. Got it for under $40 from CDkeys.

I spent some time with benchmarking (located in the Extras menu), and found not many computers of today will be able to play stock Ultra settings with decent framerate. Even "Very High" struggles on a GTX1070 @ 1080p in places. I settle with "High", and tweaked up a few favorite options to maintain 60fps with occasional dips in the 50-60 range. Oh, and can't even touch MSAA, even 2X - that's a framerate killer! Turned off Sharpening.

The good news is "High" settings still looks great. The screenshots and even videos don't do it justice.

Gameplay is solid - I'm trying Metal Gear-style stealth, which is a tactical system almost reminding me of turn-based games like the recent Xcom, just real-time. I'm sure the guns-blazing method is also fun, too. Augment system seems solid so far, looking forward to unlocking more.

Many of the cutscenes are 30fps, and look like they are designed for consoles. When the scene goes in-engine, things look much better. Interesting transitions from cutscene movies to in-game scenes.

No DirectX 12 yet... the option is greyed out, and is supposed to be coming soon - hopefully a couple weeks.

There's an optional 12 minute movie at the beginning that's a refresher for the previous game. I watched it twice, and still confused about a lot of details!

Had one crash to desktop so far.

I think fans of the series are going to be very pleased with this game.
barrelbelly and W3Rman like this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Last edited by DaverJ; 08-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 374
@DaverJ:
Great feedback. DEMD is on my get list this week too. I played DEHR on Xbox 360 and it was one of my all time favorite games. I never played all of the DLC. But I bought the full DE boat load on a Steam sale a while back. Now I plan to do exactly what you are doing. Meaning...playing all of the backstory DE games on PC...DEHR + all DLC...and DEMD in succession. If that proves to be too tedious because of my anxiety to dive into Mankind Divided, I'll just skip the older ones for the here & now. And start my playthrough with DE Human Revolution. I need to do that anyway to familiarize myself with the DEHR controller and play mechanics again.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I need to do that anyway to familiarize myself with the DEHR controller and play mechanics again.
Forgot to mention - starting up a Mankind Divided game, they give you the option to play with either a new controller setup designed for MD, the original Human Revolution controller setup, and a couple others (I believe a straight-forward FPS setup and another one).

I'm giving the new MD control method a go, but learning something new feels clumsy (insert "old dog" joke...). Y is sprint, where left stick press goes into cover. Also, X button tap vs. hold do different things - a tap knocks the enemy out, while hold is a lethal strike. Also, tap X to pick up an item, but hold goes into weapon customization. Grenade throw and maybe a few other things do this too.

You can change controller schemes during the game, but I going to try to stick it out and learn this new MD one. After an hour or so of missed button presses, I started to get a feel for it.
barrelbelly likes this.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
hey daver thanks for the mini write up...
you using a gsync monitor ?
DaverJ likes this.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
hey daver thanks for the mini write up...
you using a gsync monitor ?
Nah, I wish.

I decided to get a 50" Vizio 60Hz 4K Display w/ HDR for my gaming monitor. Currently feeding it 1080/60 and upscale to 4K w/ FALD - it looks pretty sweet with amazing black levels. Lag input is below 20ms.

Old Today, 10:00 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 4749 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
Think I might be giving up on No Man's Sky. Just...no incentive to keep playing at all.

On the other hand....

Been playing Deus Ex (thanks DaverJ!) and wow! Feels good to get back into Deus Ex again. Idk, but I never really loved HR much. Something about it was off to me. Felt too linear or something. This feels just right. Having fond memories of the first game playing this. I'm still early in but can't wait to get home (and if Daver isn't playing anything ) and get back into it.
DaverJ and W3Rman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Black Mesa , Batman Arkham Origins , Grand Theft Auto V , Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Collectors Edition