Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Went through a rather bizarre upgrade with my HTPC. smile.gif

Had A8-3850 based rig which worked great for HTPC duties (read: watching streamed video and rips), unusable for any decent gaming at 1080p (slide show).
Wife's computer has GeForce 560 (with ivy bridge i3 cpu, do not remember which one exactly), my current PC has GeForce 660ti.
Got GeForce Titan for my desktop PC, plan was to put a new 7870 into the HTPC, give wife the 660 ti (overkill for Sims but why not) and ebay the 560.
7870 absolutely refused to work properly with the AMD APU (heh) - HDMI audio dropouts which I could not fix no matter what.

As a result, put the 7870 into wife's PC (working great) and put GeForce 660 ti into the HTPC with the AMD APU which also works great. Obviously underpowered for the card but I'm kinda tired of electronic Lego for now.
Found it quite ironic that AMD APU will absolutely not work properly with the Radeon.

There should have been an option in the bios along the lines of "Init display first" if you set this to pci-express you shouldn't have had any problems. I'd be interested to hear if you did this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

There should have been an option in the bios along the lines of "Init display first" if you set this to pci-express you shouldn't have had any problems. I'd be interested to hear if you did this?

I looked back when I was tinkering with it and didn't really find anything similar, for this particular motherboard bios options are pretty barren except for a ton of overclocking related options.
In any case, the visual part worked great - it is just the sound that was messed up.

I googled around and someone says that you should reintall Realtek HD audio drivers and it actually worked - until I rebooted. Why Realtek audio drivers should affect HDMI sound - no clue. It is probably some kind of driver conflict.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page