htpc gtx 670 and monitor help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone here has a htpc working setup that use gtx nvidia video card for monitor display using dvi-d out and hdmi out from the card to receive i.e onkyo nr515 ? have it working and no display problem?

i want to know what hardware you got, monitor model, gtx model and receiver model.

because i have a htpc right now using gtx 670 dvi-d out for monitor and hdmi out to my receiver and the desktop of the pc is normal.

i just bought a dell s2340m monitor and hook it up the same way as before and i got this problem, it like the desktop is showing but no desktop icon at all. and the mouse is showing, and when i press alt+crlt +delete the screen turn black. and i press ESC to cancel and it jump back to that same screen.

here is some info.

my old setup the monitor is asus ms238h that have hdmi support: 1 x HDMI, 1 x AV Audio HDMI -- i have never seen any monitor that state 1xAV audio hdmi before. could this be the reason it work with this monitor and will never work with others monitor even with HDMI?

all i want is to upgrade a monitor and use same cable setup and get same result. apparently it not working with this dell s2340m and i have to return it tomorrow and try with a hdmi support monitor.

please share the setup that work for you and maybe advice why it didnt work with the dell monitor?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Liked: 93
We need a bit more info. What are you trying to do? Do you want the same desktop to show up on each monitor?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM

Liked: 18
This answer is probably way too simple, but it's the simple stuff to try first. Are you sure the Dell is setup as your primary monitor in Nvidia control panel?
post #4 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

i am not trying to use dual monitor. i just want to replace the old asus monitor with the dell. this asus monitor have no problem for me connecting dvi-d from gtx670 to monitor and gtx 670 hdmi port to my onkyon nr515 and have no problem. but when i try to do the same setup for my dell, it work fine when i hook up my the dvi-d from gtx670 to monitor it work fine but when i connect the gtx670 hdmi to nr515 receiver, my monitor screen turn dark and go back on with my desktop wallpaper a bit zoomed out and i can see the mouse when i move it and i dont see my desktop icon. if i press alt+ctrl + delete it will go into dark screen. press esc will bring me back to that wallpaper screen.

also if connect gtx 670 hmdi > receiver>and receiver out to dell monitor it work but the text and everything look ugly. which i dont want.

i hope i am clear enough.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Dual video signals = dual monitor config whether you hook up another monitor to your receiver or not. I'm guessing your old Asus automatically established dominance, while your new Dell may need a manual tweak. HDMI has a mind of its own, so logic sometimes doesn't apply.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

do you know how to manual tweak? is this nvidia software not properly splitting monitor and receiver?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

and come to think about it i think the dell monitor was acting as a second monitor in dual monitor mode. it just weird it does that and the asus didnt. maybe hdmi support have something to do with this and i guess i will return the dell. i really like the dell monitor though i wish i can find a way
post #8 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 AM

It can be done through Nvidia control panel "Set up multiple display" very easily, probably less than a minute of your time.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

i am using the asus monitor now and it does show up two display, the onkyo and asus monitor, in the setup multi display it show asus is the main. the asus monitor has built in speaker and hdmi ability i think it the reason. but to actually solve this i have to hook up the dell and the asus and go into the setting and make the dell a main. i think this is what you mean
post #10 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM

It might be easiest to clone your Dell display with your Onkyo, however this may lead to the dreaded HDCP non support error. It sounds like you're close to solving the problem either way. I suggest making the Dell the primary first before you experiment with the clone idea. Good luck!
post #11 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

it turned out i cannot make it to work because when i set the dell for primary and try to plug back the receiver, the screen flash couple time and it making my dell a secondary again. it seem that the hdmi port have high priority over the dvi-d. maybe i can only buy monitor with hdmi and built in speakers. i still dont understand what is built in with the built in speakers that allow it to make it a primary over a receiver.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM

You will have to set it manually, unless the Dell has an issue I'm unaware of. I had a similar problem with a projector, but once I set it by force, it behaved itself for the most part. HDMI is a bad dog.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

i already refund that thing. i might search for a new hd definition sounds card for pc that bitstream dts hd ma and dd truehd. i know there is a asus xonar and XD but i think they only support 1.3 now we got 1.4 hdmi. well or i should buy monitor with hdmi and built on speakers only. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

this monitor is new model from asus look mad nice and with dual hdmi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236310
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page