Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

So dave, now that you've had some time with your Titan....have your thoughts changed at all? still good to go? I must say I'm fairly impressed with mine, one OC's like mad and the other is just so-so. Ahh well, I guess i did ok in the GUP lottery!,
I haven't o/c'd it yet. I must admit I'm a bit bewildered by the settings in MSI Afterburner (core voltage, power limit %, temp limit, etc).

Any suggestions on how to o/c?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Does he have the Titan? Last time he spoke about them he said he canceled his order and was waiting on the MSI versions. Now all of a sudden he has them again?

In my opinion there really isn't a need to overclock the card. This thing self over clocks like a beast. Just keep your temperature low.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Does he have the Titan? Last time he spoke about them he said he canceled his order and was waiting on the MSI versions. Now all of a sudden he has them again?

In my opinion there really isn't a need to overclock the card. This thing self over clocks like a beast. Just keep your temperature low.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I was in memory express and said I had bought 2 Titans as well as a laptop and some other stuff on the last page. I got sick of waiting for the MSI versions since here is just no new info if they were going to come out with unlocked voltage versions or not, I got the EVGA ones.

Dave I'm using a custom bios on both http://www.overclock.net/t/1363440/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-owners-club
how to do it if you are interested. Overclocking is just using evga's precision. The custom bios's seem to be reducing throttling quite a bit but it's a luck of the draw on how good they will oc. One of mine is great and the other is just so-so.
The reason for the throttling is the card is reaching it's max wattage. Look over that owners thread. Al the info about everything is all on it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I already have the SC EVGA version and feel uncomfortable flashing the BIOS of a $1K videocard. I'll just use the software.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I already have the SC EVGA version and feel uncomfortable flashing the BIOS of a $1K videocard. I'll just use the software.
Smart move. I ain't voiding my warranty that's for damn sure.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want the most out of the card, you gotta do what you gotta do.biggrin.gif I'm not telling anyone to do it, just that I did. If a card dies? I'll get another one or 2 if need be, it's all a part of the hobby. I wouldn't have a 500hp 86 regal-T if I didn't like to gamble. That things a ticking time bomb hahaha

btw, Jacob from EVGA said the custom bios's don't void the warrantys.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want the most out of the card, you gotta do what you gotta do.biggrin.gif I'm not telling anyone to do it, just that I did. If a card dies? I'll get another one or 2 if need be, it's all a part of the hobby. I wouldn't have a 500hp 86 regal-T if I didn't like to gamble. That things a ticking time bomb hahaha

btw, Jacob from EVGA said the custom bios's don't void the warrantys.

Some wouldn't call throwing money away a hobby. Actually, I didn't think anyone did until now.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you even have any idea what the custom bios's do??? Nothing is going to happen to the cards and if it does, $1000 isn't the end of the world but it's moot as the custom bios's don't void the warranty's for the evga cards anyways.

Do you really think paying $1000 for a GPU is not throwing away your money to begin with? lol

Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Do you really think paying $1000 for a GPU is not throwing away your money to begin with? lol

Ha, couldn't have put it better.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a pretty invalid argument. Paying for a card is one thing. Not giving two sh**s if it doesn't break from something you did is another. Let alone. "Oh not to worry. I'd just get another. Maybe two." Boasting about wasting money is just flat out dumb.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

That's a pretty invalid argument. Paying for a card is one thing. Not giving two sh**s if it doesn't break from something you did is another. Let alone. "Oh not to worry. I'd just get another. Maybe two." Boasting about wasting money is just flat out dumb.

It's not boasting about wasting money, it's accepting what can happen when you mod things. I fully accept that if a card fails and I "had" to by another one, I would.
It's kind of funny, you are installing WC on yours, so what happens if you get a leak? void warranty, you install your block wrong? void warranty, anything at all happens to your block,. pump failure anything, void warranty. biggrin.gif
I'm all in the clear as the modded bios I'm using, does not void the warranty...........

Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's not boasting about wasting money, it's accepting what can happen when you mod things. I fully accept that if a card fails and I "had" to by another one, I would.
It's kind of funny, you are installing WC on yours, so what happens if you get a leak? void warranty, you install your block wrong? void warranty, anything at all happens to your block,. pump failure anything, void warranty. biggrin.gif
I'm all in the clear as the modded bios I'm using, does not void the warranty...........
Running a modded bios does not void the warranty, but I bet if the card dies while you're flashing it it does.

Either way I'd rather not risk it. Software OC is fine.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If you want the most out of the card, you gotta do what you gotta do.biggrin.gif I'm not telling anyone to do it, just that I did. If a card dies? I'll get another one or 2 if need be, it's all a part of the hobby. I wouldn't have a 500hp 86 regal-T if I didn't like to gamble. That things a ticking time bomb hahaha.

Pics please!!! You show me your T-type and I'll show you my 2000 Formula. wink.gif
Quote:

Do you even have any idea what the custom bios's do??? Nothing is going to happen to the cards and if it does, $1000 isn't the end of the world but it's mootthe custom bios's don't void the warranty's for the evga cards anywaysways.

Good to know. Don't know why I haven't visited OC.net in so long. eek.gif

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Money is relative, guys.......some people have it and spend it all on "life", others hoard it and save it so they feel secure that "if they ever really NEEDED something, the money would be there to cover their @sses". Most folks are somewhere in between.

$1000 for a GPU isn't a big deal to some people..hell they are still making pre-fab $4000 gaming computers, and SOMEONE keeps buying them, right?

Leave the guy alone......he's dumping money into a late 80's Buick for god's sake...T-Type or not, those things weren't really built to last..... (I know, I owned one...no several...not T-Types, the granny-smith versions of that car)...so let him enjoy his over-boosted V6 before he dies in a fiery explosion biggrin.gif

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I've spent close to $200 on Scotch recently. Pretty good eh? biggrin.gif

My 660 Ti isn't even 6 months old yet, so spending on a Titan, though it would be cool as hell to have, just isn't justifiable right now.

Hmmm... Haven't done my taxes yet. TG the mortgage interest deduction still exists. Hmmm...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

680 was on sale last night for $350
Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I've spent close to $200 on Scotch recently. Pretty good eh? biggrin.gif

Yech.

I don't know if it was bad scotch or me and my taste buds, because I'm a very picky eater/drinker. But the first and only scotch I ever had was the worst tasting alcohol I've ever tried.

My brother's father in law (does that make him my father in law?cool.gif) is a big scotch collector. He has a bunch of expensive bottles.

Was $200 for 1 bottle?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I said Yech too when my old boss back in the 80's made us share the bottle of Chevas Regal he insisted we buy him at Christmas time. I'd cut it with a good dose of coke.

$200 was for two different bottles. Glenfarclas and Glenroathes, so far. If you want an education on Scotch, and want to stay here on the forum...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/153368/cruising-the-avs-forum-while-intoxicated/2130

Tell PioManiac rich3fan sent ya. wink.gif

Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As much as I would like to derail a fine Nvidia Titan discussion with the topic of whiskey, I will restrain and behave myself. (at least for now. biggrin.gif)
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Whiskey is disgusting.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Money is relative, guys.......some people have it and spend it all on "life", others hoard it and save it so they feel secure that "if they ever really NEEDED something, the money would be there to cover their @sses". Most folks are somewhere in between.

$1000 for a GPU isn't a big deal to some people..hell they are still making pre-fab $4000 gaming computers, and SOMEONE keeps buying them, right?

Leave the guy alone......he's dumping money into a late 80's Buick for god's sake...T-Type or not, those things weren't really built to last..... (I know, I owned one...no several...not T-Types, the granny-smith versions of that car)...so let him enjoy his over-boosted V6 before he dies in a fiery explosion biggrin.gif

hehehe. One thing about T-types and Grand Nationals is that they don't loose their value like the regular G-bodys. I bought mine from Texas, flew down there and drove it home. It only had 20,000 miles on it but the body was in rough shape. Good thing I'm a painter. I completely stripped it to the metal and did a lot of work. I bought it for 10K and it's easily worth over 20K now and probably into 25K since there are none around here. It's not a money dumping ground as I'd get a good price as there are not many nice GN's or Regal-T's in my area. It's got 15K worth of upgrades and last year I was running low 11's on 23lbs of boost with alky injection on drag radials. It's a hell of a fun car but if anything was to happen to the alky pump of fuel system under boost..... BOOM !! lol. It would suck but I have many friends at work that are mechanics so it would be that big of a deal. We always trade work for work so it would cost only parts. They can be one heck of a pain in the ass if they aren't running right though.biggrin.gif
As of now it's got 34,000 miles and runs great. I can't wait till it warms up and I can get it out of storage!!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM

To Juke: Stick with Kool-Aid if that's your thing. I don't care really. Cheers.

To N8: I modified my old big block to the point where I'm scared to drive it anymore. Why, I don't know.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

As much as I would like to derail a fine Nvidia Titan discussion with the topic of whiskey, I will restrain and behave myself. (at least for now. biggrin.gif)

This thread wouldn't have gone off-track had Scott Simon come in and opened his yap. biggrin.gif

Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To N8: I modified my old big block to the point where I'm scared to drive it anymore. Why, I don't know.

Because it's fun!!!! biggrin.gif

Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Nice, I love the old Style of those T-Types and GN's......I still get misty when I see the old SVO Mustangs from the early 80's tooling around now and then (mostly again, those haven't survived)........

Oh and I agree, Scotch tastes like its basic components: Moss, Peat, Dirt, Water, and Copper biggrin.gif But hey whatever works.....

Now BOURBON or a fine aged RUM......then we talk...

Oh yeah and Titans? $600 I could understand......$1000 I can't.....but that's my personal limit, I'll drop $400 on an Action Figure to shove up on my wall......whatever your obsession is, more power to you. I'm starting to think its time to upgrade to a nice JVC 1080p Projector, although by the same token I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off with an LCD Epson at half the cost. Decisions, Decisions...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Nice, I love the old Style of those T-Types and GN's......I still get misty when I see the old SVO Mustangs from the early 80's tooling around now and then (mostly again, those haven't survived)........

Oh and I agree, Scotch tastes like its basic components: Moss, Peat, Dirt, Water, and Copper biggrin.gif But hey whatever works.....

Now BOURBON or a fine aged RUM......then we talk...

Oh yeah and Titans? $600 I could understand......$1000 I can't.....but that's my personal limit, I'll drop $400 on an Action Figure to shove up on my wall......whatever your obsession is, more power to you. I'm starting to think its time to upgrade to a nice JVC 1080p Projector, although by the same token I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off with an LCD Epson at half the cost. Decisions, Decisions...

The new Epson 5020 is a great projector but if you plan to game, you may want to look elsewhere as the lag is pretty bad, around 60ms and even through a receiver with game mode on, around 80-100 ms lag. Thats really the only problem with the projector, otherwise, they are really excellent. I had the JVC 45 for a while but it's horrible at 3D, crosstalk, lag etc. I ended up with the panny 7000 (now 8000) it has the least lag (other than DLP) and good 3d and nice 2D. If I was to get a new projector right now for under 4K, i'd be looking at the sony hw50. It's probably the best all around projector on the market under 5K.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ill stick to Patron. Whiskey just sucks overall. Hell, every liquor is better then whiskey.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Ill stick to Patron. Whiskey just sucks overall. Hell, every liquor is better then whiskey.

I used to love tequila, but then it happened. It always happens with tequila. It can't be avoided. When it happens to you, you will come to appreciate whiskey. Believe me now, or believe me later.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used to love tequila, but then it happened. It always happens with tequila. It can't be avoided. When it happens to you, you will come to appreciate whiskey. Believe me now, or believe me later.
lol. Look forward to it.