New PC gaming rig vs PS4 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3
HTPC Gaming > New PC gaming rig vs PS4
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 02:54 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Ha, thanks for showing your age and knowledge of piracy there. Where do you think you get pirated anything? Console games included. I can't count how many times I've seen console games available WEEKS before launch on torrent sites...

Crysis 2 and 3, right off the top of my head took at minimum 1 week after launch to be functional on pc with a crack. Being available on PirateBay and actually working are two separate things.

Never said games DON'T have hackers, but its nowhere NEAR as rampant as you claim it to be.

Never said that was my only argument for Skyrim. YOU brought it up as an example, not me.

Why don't you refrain from being a blind console fanboy and look at the facts yourself, practice what you're preaching. I've said in the other console thread I own a 360 and will get the new one for 2 reasons, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the fact that PCs are better hardware and software-wise.

And no, I'm sorry, I'll deal with the occasional hacker (in my years of PC gaming I've run into a number of hackers that I can count on 2 hands) than deal with the screaming 12 year old PS and Xbox 'gamers'.

I also haven't had to pirate a game in years, I have money, and games are cheaper on PC. And you know what my rig cost? the same as your precious consoles. I get higher resolutions, mods, better performance, etc etc, the list goes on.

The fact that YOU pirate games for PC makes your arguments against it invalid. Pirates complaining about hackers in games they hacked/pirated? Wow...

Also, nice job jumping right over the fact your CoD argument got shot to shreds...
Well that's interesting. You don't pirate anything yet you view torrent sites? Let alone a crappy one like pirate bay? You simply don't know what your talking about. FYI. Crysis was available to download weeks before release. A working crack was available within the same day of release. Yet you seem to think otherwise based on the torrent sites you've gone to. Yet, you don't download? That's very interesting. I'd like to know other things you look at with no intention of using.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But your PC was in no way cheaper then my console. You can't even build a decent rig with $200. If you honestly think you can. Your in denial. Again. Your a fool with your hacker belief. It's simply way to easy to join a game. Their are plenty of people who cheat to just look like a better legit player. Did you not play the crysis beta? Never played BF3? Diablo? COD? ANY PC game?

You haven't had to pirate a game in years because you have money.... So those who do have no money? I download the game to watch it sit on a hard drive and never use it? Sure. That makes sense.

Explain how my cod argument wasn't valid? You complained about lack of FPS. Cod does 60 FPS. If your rig is as piss cheap as you say it is why would you care either way? You don't achieve 60fps either way. Unless your playing older outdated games.

JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 02:59 PM 03-13-2013
Bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

What are you playing on PC that is in constant attack from hackers? Honestly, I don't play MP games as much as I used to but I'd say my lifetime experience playing games online having fun and then encountering hackers is in the tens of thousandths of a percent. I honestly can't even remember a vivid memory of such an event and I've put in thousands of hours online.

Now .... really annoying regular players that obviously play said game way too much... now that I run into more often and that sure happens on consoles too.

Run into a hacker? Switch servers. That one dude isn't going to follow you around.

Oh wait... can you switch servers on a console game? That's right.... consoles have *gag* "matchmaking".
BF3 is the main game I play on PC. I can't stand it on consoles. It just isn't the same game. But hackers have proven to be very tiresome.

What's wrong with matchmaking? Your placed in a room. You play. FYI BF3 has servers on console. But again. It's completely useless on console because the game clearly wasn't meant for console gameplay.

Same thing goes with crysis. Any of them. Certain games need to stick with PC because of how behind they are. Now that the next gens are coming. It won't be so bad. Even then. In time it will be behind again.
Trogdor2010's Avatar Trogdor2010 03:20 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Bf

What's wrong with matchmaking? Your placed in a room. You play. FYI BF3 has servers on console. But again. It's completely useless on console because the game clearly wasn't meant for console gameplay.

.

Matchmaking, or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) relies on the connection of a player to provide the server rather than having a system such as what a developer or even a person with a data center providing a dedicated server. The advantage with P2P is that a game could continue to have a community without relying on dedicated servers, as well as not needing admins. The disadvantage is that your experience will depend on the host's connection, usually nowhere near as reliable as a data center, and not having admins. This is why people complain in P2P games about winning players being the host of a server.

Both PC and consoles offer both P2P and dedicated (depending on game) I prefer dedicated servers since data centers put the least amount of lag compared to P2P, and depending on the community and admins, would make an overall better experience IMO. I will say dedicated servers aren't the problem, but rather it is the fault of the community that makes them a problem. Good server admins are supposed to do their jobs, such as not boost a team, kick people, and let cheater exploit a game. If they don't stop it, they really reflect on what is wrong with the community, and we may as well stick to P2P.

Depends on your viewpoint on people though.
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 03:46 PM 03-13-2013
I see. I also fully agree with what you've stated. The only problem I have with admins on servers is admin abuse. I've seen admins kick someone just for the sake of doing so. Which really messes up the overall integrity if the game. One thing I can say is I've literally never had a problem with lag on dedicated servers. I've experienced slight delay but nothing compared to P2P. Lag is actually the man thing I hate about cod. I feel P2P has its advantages. But has more things going wrong for it then right.
johnvsimpson's Avatar johnvsimpson 04:40 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Well that's interesting. You don't pirate anything yet you view torrent sites? Let alone a crappy one like pirate bay? You simply don't know what your talking about. FYI. Crysis was available to download weeks before release. A working crack was available within the same day of release. Yet you seem to think otherwise based on the torrent sites you've gone to. Yet, you don't download? That's very interesting. I'd like to know other things you look at with no intention of using.

I download TV shows, but not from torrent sites I think those are shady. I see games for consoles/pc all the time, yet I buy all my games. It isn't unreasonable to know whats out there but not get it. Granted I could just watch the TV Shows on the internet, but I like having the ability to watch when I want even if it is 2 weeks later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble. But your PC was in no way cheaper then my console. You can't even build a decent rig with $200. If you honestly think you can. Your in denial.

I agree with you on this one, my pc wasn't as cheap as my consoles put together, but they are not as good nor do they do all my PC does. But if you add in all the replacements I had to buy, that could tip the scales against consoles which was 3 xbox 2 playstation. Just prefrence I assume tho.
Mike Lang's Avatar Mike Lang 04:57 PM 03-13-2013
Remember where you are...

Piracy is never to be discussed on AVS.

This will be the only warning before people are removed.
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 05:25 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvsimpson View Post

I download TV shows, but not from torrent sites I think those are shady. I see games for consoles/pc all the time, yet I buy all my games. It isn't unreasonable to know whats out there but not get it. Granted I could just watch the TV Shows on the internet, but I like having the ability to watch when I want even if it is 2 weeks later.
I agree with you on this one, my pc wasn't as cheap as my consoles put together, but they are not as good nor do they do all my PC does. But if you add in all the replacements I had to buy, that could tip the scales against consoles which was 3 xbox 2 playstation. Just prefrence I assume tho.
I've spend more on my gaming rig in the past year then I've spent on every single console I've owned to date lol. It's amazing. That being said I still love it. Main reason why is because its what I built. Not someone else. I love performance. I get a bit of a thrill putting parts into my rig. I always get excited to see what the next part will do to my rig.

The main thing I love about PC gaming that consoles can't do. Surround. Love love love it.

Really wish consoles could do the same. I honestly wish hacking wasn't so easy on PC. Only then would I honestly never own another console again.
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 05:27 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Remember where you are...

Piracy is never to be discussed on AVS.

This will be the only warning before people are removed.
Sorry about that. I didn't realize it wasn't ok I talk about until now. I jut thought we weren't allowed to link sites or encourage it and what not. My apologies. Won't happen again.
Marafice Eye's Avatar Marafice Eye 07:03 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Well that's interesting. You don't pirate anything yet you view torrent sites? Let alone a crappy one like pirate bay? You simply don't know what your talking about. FYI. Crysis was available to download weeks before release. A working crack was available within the same day of release. Yet you seem to think otherwise based on the torrent sites you've gone to. Yet, you don't download? That's very interesting. I'd like to know other things you look at with no intention of using.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But your PC was in no way cheaper then my console. You can't even build a decent rig with $200. If you honestly think you can. Your in denial. Again. Your a fool with your hacker belief. It's simply way to easy to join a game. Their are plenty of people who cheat to just look like a better legit player. Did you not play the crysis beta? Never played BF3? Diablo? COD? ANY PC game?

You haven't had to pirate a game in years because you have money.... So those who do have no money? I download the game to watch it sit on a hard drive and never use it? Sure. That makes sense.

Explain how my cod argument wasn't valid? You complained about lack of FPS. Cod does 60 FPS. If your rig is as piss cheap as you say it is why would you care either way? You don't achieve 60fps either way. Unless your playing older outdated games.

My rig cost about $500, the cost of a 360/PS3 and the supposed cost of the good version of the PS4. Your argument is invalid because on a console, it's piss easy to get a game like CoD, running at sub 720p then upscaled, and on a 10 year old engine to run at 60fps. The game might be the new version, but the engine isn't. My 'cheap as piss' rig runs CoD games and the like at 80+, that was the point, which you apparently didn't get.

What you're constantly doing is looking at the cost of the console NOW 7 years later. not what they ACTUALLY cost when they came out. If I want to build a PC with equivalent specs as a PS3 or 360, you're damn right I could do it for close to $200. YOU are in denial if you don't think you can. Besides that. my 360 has cost me 3x as much as my pc... RROD, and every friend I have that has a PS3 has dealt with at least 1 YLOD, so in fact, I've spent LESS on my PC and gaming, than I have with my 360, fact. I can run every game out right now, better than a console, at higher resolutions, none of that upscaling crap, so don't even attempt to tell me what my PC supposedly can or can't do. Also as a side note, my pc runs 4 monitors right now... can your console do that? Without having to buy more of them and more TVs that is...

As far as hackers? You're so far on the anti-pc bandwagon it's ridiculous. Hacking is nowhere near as prominent or as prolific as you claim it is. And you know why you don't see as many on the consoles, they can't play on line for fear of having their consoles banned by serial number. No one in their right mind would attempt it, but it still doesn't change the fact that hacking in almost ANY mainstream game on PC is dealt with pretty swiftly from my personal experience, but again, I don't play on BS servers. And would you like me to list the multiplayer games I've played? I've encounter a whopping total of 8 hackers before, 8, and they were dealt with within hours, and in most cases, minutes of being reported. Planetside 2, CoD4, MW2, BF1942, BF2142, BFBC2, BF3, CS, CS: Source, CS:GO, TFC, TF2, Crysis 2, Crysis (most came from these last to due to Crytek being retarded about their server security... Crytek's fault), Red Orchestra, Red Orchestra 2, HL Deathmatch, HL2 Deathmatch, UT99, UT2004, UT3, Quake 3A. So tell me again how prevalent hacking is? I've seen 8 hackers in close 10-12 years of gaming on PC. I've seen more hackers than that in Halo multiplayer alone... Remeber the standby hack that was a big deal a few years back? Remember the Halo Reach leak? Yeah, one MONTH before release...

Those who don't have the money... That's no excuse to pirate and you damn well know it, totally an invalid argument.

Now, as it's been warned about I will not discuss piracy, but will simply say this, you're a fool if you think the one site I mentioned, was the only place I ever checked, it was used as a singular example. I check many on a regular basis, particularly when a new game releases, so I can watch how fast it gets cracked, and no, you are in correct. C2 and C3 were NOT functioning until a week after release.

Mike, if my last little bit there is still too far over the line of discussion, I apologize, it was simply to close out that part of the argument. If it needs to be removed, please do so, or let me know and I will do so.
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 07:24 PM 03-13-2013
lol. There is so much bull in that post it can fill a cities worth of septic tanks. Your wrong. Plain and simple. I'm not going to bother filling up a full response with someone who clearly can't see the truth of things. ( fan boy )

For the sake of this thread I'm ending further conversation of this. In the future. Don't rant and use false information to try and validate your point. Just doesn't work that way.

As for the main thread. One thing that does get me excited about a new console are ported games. Sure. They won't be as good as a game designed for PC. But they won't be as bad as before due to the way the new systems are designed. It's going to be interesting to see games take advantage of higher memory and something more the a quad core CPU. Before crysis 3 and far cry 3 anything over an i5 was pointless for gaming. People can finally get some good work from a 3770k and the AMD Hexcore CPUs.
Marafice Eye's Avatar Marafice Eye 07:36 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

lol. There is so much bull in that post it can fill a cities worth of septic tanks. Your wrong. Plain and simple. I'm not going to bother filling up a full response with someone who clearly can't see the truth of things. ( fan boy )

For the sake of this thread I'm ending further conversation of this. In the future. Don't rant and use false information to try and validate your point. Just doesn't work that way.


As for the main thread. One thing that does get me excited about a new console are ported games. Sure. They won't be as good as a game designed for PC. But they won't be as bad as before due to the way the new systems are designed. It's going to be interesting to see games take advantage of higher memory and something more the a quad core CPU. Before crysis 3 and far cry 3 anything over an i5 was pointless for gaming. People can finally get some good work from a 3770k and the AMD Hexcore CPUs.

Take note folks, this is how you try to gracefully back out of an argument you've lost. Apparently I rant and spew false information, while he has no proof to the contrary. Please do point out where and how I'm wrong? I just built a pc with equivalent specs (although more ram, better PSU, and a better IGP than the 360/PS3). Grand total with shipping AND tax... $238. That's a hwole whopping $20 more than it would cost to buy a new 360/PS3. So tell me again how it's impossible to build an equivalent PC for $200? Please, tell, this is hilarious. You claim I'm a fanboy, hardly. I own a 360, bought one on release day, I've had to buy 2 others due to failures. I've been gaming since the NES, I have no fanboyism one way or the other, I just acknowledge the simple fact that both hardware wise, and software wise, the PC will always be superior. That doesn't stop me from enjoying console exclusives, which is my only reason for still owning a 360, and my plans to buy the new one, but the simple fact is, PC being the superior platform from an OBJECTIVE standpoint, can't be argued. Subjectively, sure, and every argument you're throwing out is purely subjective.

All the arguments I always see for pro-console is ALWAYS subjective, and that's not a debate, that's bringing your personal feeling and preferences into it. The simple fact is, for what you spend on a console/accessories/games, you can get a far better PC/accessories/games, and that's something that price and reality will support.

So, how about this time, you try debating OBJECTIVELY and not subjectively, hmm?
Trogdor2010's Avatar Trogdor2010 11:07 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post


The main thing I love about PC gaming that consoles can't do. Surround. Love love love it.

Same, although It was more for home theater purposes. I used to have a 2.35:1 screen, and after finding out I could play Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike in Cinemascope with my lappy, I really went into PC gaming from then. I even went out of my way to build a gaming rig. It was really awesome. Now that my theater is torn down, it's not as exciting, but I'm liking PC gaming for new reasons, like emulation and mainly preparing for a future cinemascope gaming machine. tongue.gif
Marafice Eye's Avatar Marafice Eye 11:26 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Same, although It was more for home theater purposes. I used to have a 2.35:1 screen, and after finding out I could play Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike in Cinemascope with my lappy, I really went into PC gaming from then. I even went out of my way to build a gaming rig. It was really awesome. Now that my theater is torn down, it's not as exciting, but I'm liking PC gaming for new reasons, like emulation and mainly preparing for a future cinemascope gaming machine. tongue.gif

Cinemascope probably looks awesome for racing and flight sims... When you get it set up eventually, post up some pics, gotta see that.
Trogdor2010's Avatar Trogdor2010 11:41 PM 03-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Cinemascope probably looks awesome for racing and flight sims... When you get it set up eventually, post up some pics, gotta see that.

Well since I'm in my junior year at my University, and that I need to find a place suited for such a set up, It'll take me a while. frown.gif

At least I still have my pictures from the theater that I torn down (Which I wouldn't call amazing compared to some of the theaters you guys have, sorry for the crappy pictures too), although this is more about the anamorphic lens I made for my projector a few years ago.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Trogdor2010

There is also this painfully outdated pictures (I don't why I didn't torn that down) showing me playing some TF2 on scope with my crappy laptop. I now know much easier ways of doing it, and having my desktop displayed in scope too, unlike my pics.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Trogdor2010&folderid=4980

So I am definitely aiming a lot higher than what I have linked in my future. smile.gif



Sorry that I've been derailing the thread, I want to go back to headphones. tongue.gif
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 11:52 PM 03-13-2013
Oh snap!!! You made you're own anamorphic lens. Props like a boss! cool.gif
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360 12:55 AM 03-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Same, although It was more for home theater purposes. I used to have a 2.35:1 screen, and after finding out I could play Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike in Cinemascope with my lappy, I really went into PC gaming from then. I even went out of my way to build a gaming rig. It was really awesome. Now that my theater is torn down, it's not as exciting, but I'm liking PC gaming for new reasons, like emulation and mainly preparing for a future cinemascope gaming machine. tongue.gif
Man. You were living my dream! lol
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 07:47 PM 09-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Finally got the G930 from Amazon. I don't know what took them so long, but whatevs.

Very impressed with the surround sound isolation. Borderlands 2 and Tomb Raider are a treat in 7.1 surround! Also glad I went wireless. Great full range audio, although I notice some distortion in big explosions and shotgun blasts. Comfort is nice on the sides, but somewhat uncomfortable on the top of head compared to other headsets. I might just need to get used to it. Also glad to find this software to switch between sound from TV and sound from the G930.

Overall, a great addition to my lil' next-gen game console, AKA "PC". biggrin.gif

I was playing through the ending of Crysis 3 and was getting a lot of distortion from the G930 during low end explosions, booms, and big bass hits. So, out of curiosity, I Googled "g930 bass distortion" and found this thread from the Logitech forum. It fixed the problem - no more distortion!

If anyone is using the Logitech G930s, I highly recommend setting up a advanced EQ setting like the one below mentioned in that thread:


Marafice Eye's Avatar Marafice Eye 07:51 PM 09-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I was playing through the ending of Crysis 3 and was getting a lot of distortion from the G930 during low end explosions, booms, and big bass hits. So, out of curiosity, I Googled "g930 bass distortion" and found this thread from the Logitech forum. It fixed the problem - no more distortion!

If anyone is using the Logitech G930s, I highly recommend setting up a advanced EQ setting like the one below mentioned in that thread:


Excellent tip, will be trying this with mine when I boot something up again. I too noticed distortion in louder sounds, though I just wrote it off as normal for the headset.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 08:20 PM 09-03-2013
You can set up whatever FR curve you desire. The problem is is that these phones are quite output limited. They use a puny amp that is quick to go into clipping. Keeping overall volume is the only way to avoid the distortion. The suggested curve above only works as advertised because the preamp gain is lowered 9dB which is a lot.
DaverJ's Avatar DaverJ 08:41 PM 09-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You can set up whatever FR curve you desire. The problem is is that these phones are quite output limited. They use a puny amp that is quick to go into clipping. Keeping overall volume is the only way to avoid the distortion. The suggested curve above only works as advertised because the preamp gain is lowered 9dB which is a lot.

Yeah, that curve is a tad bassy for me, and I like bass. biggrin.gif I lowered 32 and 64 frequencies one notch.

But lowering the preamp is crucial - distortion is gone, even with Tomb Raider's shotgun blast and the sound effect bass sweep during "Look/Survival Instinct" (left bumper on the X360 gamepad), which before lowering the preamp would clip the bass something awful.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 07:46 PM 09-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post



But lowering the preamp is crucial - distortion is gone

Hahah, well, yeah. It is crucial and distortion would be gone if you lowered the amplifier requirements by 10x. wink.gif
Tags: Playstation 4 Console
1  2  3

Up
Mobile  Desktop