Originally Posted by darthrsg
Well, I love 8-4 Play (usually), but I just don't get Idle Thumbs. There are tons of gamers out there that rank Idle Thumbs as clearly the best gaming podcast, and I just don't understand it. They all must have drank the same Kool-Aid or something. It's mind boggling. I've listened to about 4 different episodes, trying to see if maybe I just caught a bad episode or two.
Here are my favorite overall gaming podcastsTier 1
1. Giant Bomb
- consistently good. Even their bad shows are better than most other podcasts' good shows.Tier 2
2. Weekend Confirmed
- huge dropoff from Giant Bomb, but I usually enjoy the banter back and forth of Canatta and Lee. Quality can vary widely
3. Rebel FM
- Despite the fact that Arthur Gies seems to come off very pretentious at times (even though I think he really isn't that way), I really enjoy this show, but I'm not a fan at all to the new guy that showed up (mitch)
4. 8 -4 Play
- Some of 8-4 Play's episodes are truly amazing. Every once in awhile they will have a really epic show. The stars of the Show (imo) are Gaming Jesus Mark MacDonald and Justin "JJ" Epperson. Mark normally carries the show, but Epperson is a rising star in the podcast world, heh...
5. Podcast Beyond
- Ok, this is a Sony podcast for IGN, with the sometimes annoying Greg Miller. I listen to it primarily to hear Colin Moriarty. These guys can be a bit Frat House goofy at times, but if you can put up with the silliness, it's a good podcast underneath. Of course if you have zero interest in PS3 or PS4 or Vita, then not really worth your time.
6. Player 1 Podcast
- One really good thing I can say about Player 1, is that they put on a consistently good show, week in and week out. The downside, is you normally don't get the occasional amazing podcast from them. It's consistently good quality, but never reaches a super high water mark.Tier 3
7. The Widget
- This podcast is more about tech in general, and PC hardware and roku type boxes and stuff. Gadgets. But they do discuss gaming
- Another podcast that isn't totally focused on gaming. They talk about the latest in movies and TV shows and misc stuff. They also talk gaming
9. Gamers with Jobs
- Here's the thing about this podcast.... Sometimes they have some really amazing podcasts that can rank up there with those other shows, and sometimes better. Other times, their podcasts can bore the living crap out of me. Usually I'll tune in if there is a guest I like, or they have topics I'm interested in.
10. The Loading Bar - BS and Email show
(Spill.com) - I listen to this mostly because I used to really like Kevin Baird, and he's on this show now, and doesn't do other shows. This podcast can get a big goofy at times, but it's normal a good listen.Tier 4
11. Tech Fetish
- This is a IGN Gear podcast, so it's not really 100 percent gaming. They talk about Apple and Android and stuff. I don't normally listen to all their shows, but it's good every once in awhile.
12. Orange Lounge Radio
- This is a really, really long podcast. It's a bit different than the average podcast in certain ways. hard to describe. I normally only listen to this if they have some really juicy news stories, or if I'm desperate and just need a podcast cause I've ran out of my other ones.
13, Bobby Blackwolf Show
- This is a one man podcast, and normally it can be a bit short, but it's usually pretty decent.
14. Chatterbox Video Game Radio
- This is a two man show, and it's normally pretty short, and they have commercial breaks, but it can be decent at times.
15. Game Informer Podcast
- They have decent shows sometimes
16. Super Joystiq Podcast
- Sometimes they are decent if you need a podcast
My favorite non-gaming podcast = Paracast
- Usually about UFO's, Bigfoot, Ghosts, etc, etc, Weird things.. The only problem with this show, is that they are so dependent on the guest that they get each week. If it's a good guest, the shows can be amazing. Bad guest, and the show can end up pretty boring. The other issue, is sometimes they will have a good guest, but the sound quality isn't so good, and you can't hear the guy. Or he's a foreigner and he doesn't speak the best English, so it can sometimes be hard to understand their guests.