3D HTPC gaming.....so close, but so far.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Finally got a PC capable of playing games in 3D (using an nvidia card). A few thoughts....first, the good:

On a properly supported game, its simply the most amazing thing I've ever seen. 3D games on console are stuck at low resolution with poor frame rates. The difference between 30 and 60fps in 2D is huge, but 30 and 60 FPS in 3D is indescribable. Everything people hate about 3D is gone, the image is so super clear in motion, you just feel like you're there. I never want to play a game any other way, ever again. On an HDMI 1.4TV you're still limited to 720p if you want 60fps in 3D, but you barely notice the difference (especially with good AA). It's very impressive that they can do a decent job converting 2D games into true stereoscopy (not crap reprojection) purely at the driver level. Performance is similar to running the game in 1080p. Most games aren't perfect, but a little tweaking gets you 95% of the way there. I dig how you have full control not only over depth, but also convergence, so you can choose to have as much pop as you want.

The bad: Its still incredibly fiddly. Haven't played a game yet that worked out of the box without a little tweaking. It helps a great deal that it overlays some instructions on exactly what features to turn off, and what errors to expect, but still annoying that you can never seem to have it all. UIs are a particular problem - the game itself might have great depth, but the UI is stuck on the plane of the screen, and it can lead to some really odd looking stuff. And some games just don't work at all (bioshock infinite included )

The ugly: Nvidia wants $40 (!!!) to enable you to output 3D to a TV. It's a completely artificial barrier. A 3D monitor is free, 3DTV....pay up. It's absolutely outrageous. I just spent $200 on a video card, and you seriously want me to pony up more to remove a completely artificial and arbitrary barrier? Wtf??

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Good: I'm glad you enjoy PC 3D. Console 3D can't compare. When your using a screen the size of a wall it becomes an alternate reality.

The Bad: Check out Helix Mod to make the bad better.

The Ugly: As an early adopter, forty bucks is cheap compared to amount of frustration I've endured over the years. I would have gladly paid it then. For AMD users Tridef is fifty bucks, thems the breaks.

The Really Ugly: You haven't gotten a bad case of motion sickness yet. When they say take frequent breaks, they mean it.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One of the first games I tried was skyrim, the shadows were screwed up, so I googled for a fix and ran across helix mod. I'm glad there's a fix, but I find it a little unbelievable that a hobbyist is doing this stuff for free. Shouldn't this be nvidia's job? Presumably that's what the added cost of the 3D software is for. I might be able to stomach the cost a little more if it all worked better out of the box.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 AM

Be sure to check out the new Tomb Raider. It's amazing in 3D!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've had limited playtime with modern games in 3D, but when last I tried I was left with the distinct impression that I was playing games where 2 dimensional images were simply layered in the foreground and background, in other words, 3D made everything look flat. I think I was playing Just Cause 2, and the impression I was left with was it turned the game into a "Paper Mario" feeling kind of game..my character appeared to occupy "a plane of depth" and things in the distance "another plane of depth", then further "yet another distinct plane of depth"....this would have been 2 years ago, maybe they've improved...back then it looked neet but felt unnatural and it wasn't anything I'd want to do for any length of time.

PS: Anyone with an Nvidia card can experience 3D regardless of your monitor choice, just buy yourself a pair of $3.00 3D glasses with the red/blue lense and turn on the feature in Nvidia's driver suite to support those style glasses. The colors will be screwed up of course but the 3D effect will be there, depending on the game it will at least give you a taste to see if its something you'd like to invest in further, with a true 120hz monitor or a modern 3DTV. One game that does benefit from the subtle effect is LIMBO, as that game is essentially B&W to begin with. Its a subtle thing but its nice.....but as for playing modern shooters or what have you, It's not something I 'need to have'.....but I do understand why people flock to the experience.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #6 of 13 Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I've had limited playtime with modern games in 3D, but when last I tried I was left with the distinct impression that I was playing games where 2 dimensional images were simply layered in the foreground and background, in other words, 3D made everything look flat. I think I was playing Just Cause 2, and the impression I was left with was it turned the game into a "Paper Mario" feeling kind of game..my character appeared to occupy "a plane of depth" and things in the distance "another plane of depth", then further "yet another distinct plane of depth"....this would have been 2 years ago, maybe they've improved...back then it looked neet but felt unnatural and it wasn't anything I'd want to do for any length of time.

This is exactly what I see when I watch any movie in 3D. frown.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #7 of 13 Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

This is exactly what I see when I watch any movie in 3D. frown.gif

The only time it looks like that to me is in post converted movies or games that use reprojection. Both of which should be avoided like the plague.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The only time it looks like that to me is in post converted movies or games that use reprojection. Both of which should be avoided like the plague.

Unfortunately that is not the case for me. Even seeing proper 3D films such as Avatar and Drive Angry show up in the 2 or 3 flat planes of depth like mentioned above. Extremely rare that I ever perceive any actual depth. It sucks cuz I really want to enjoy 3D but all I get is a terrible picture and a terrible headache.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #9 of 13 Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I can see depth, in the imax version of Avatar I thought the 3D was impressive....in the Disney things from 10+ years ago I thought that 3D was impressive (at the theme parks), but games in 3D have left me flat...literally :P

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #10 of 13 Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Be sure to check out the new Tomb Raider. It's amazing in 3D!

My favorite. Im playing it maxed out in Native 3D @1080p on my GTX 660 smile.gif

TriDef and Nvidia 3DTV Play do okay for non-native 3D games. It just depends on the game for me. Much better than TV 2D-3D conversion on my Panasonic, but nothing compared to games with native 3D. ME3 I play in all 3D via TriDef. Skyrim only in 2D. AC3 half and half, depending on my mood. Tomb Raider only in 3D. I think Crisis 2 & 3 are both native 3D as well, but I'm not much for FPS so haven't tried those.

I'm hoping native 3D is built into all the new titles because I would never play anything but 3D if that was the case biggrin.gif

...that is, until my eyes started twitching.... I found that only 1, maybe 2 hours of 3D gameplay a day is my limit.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by etttescott View Post

Im playing it maxed out in Native 3D @1080p on my GTX 660 smile.gif

That 660 must actually be a Titan in disguise. eek.gif

Even the 680 does not run TR maxed out (60 fps) @ 1080p in 3D (which would also mean playing at 1080p/24 unless running on a 120hz 3D pc monitor or a dual projector passive set-up).

Jason
post #12 of 13 Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM

I ran TR on an old 720/120 projector with a 7950 boost and native AMD HD3D drivers on ultra settings. Butter smooth, beautiful, and no ghosting or crosstalk. The menu benchmark claims I was pulling around 60fps. DLP rules!

The cinematic graphics style went well with the 3D. I too would like to see more like this. My only complaint is when the dlp link glasses de-synced it hammered my brain pretty hard (not to mention poor Lara who ended up dead.)
post #13 of 13 Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

That 660 must actually be a Titan in disguise. eek.gif

Its running fine on my rig. Not sure if it's "Butter Smooth", but good enough to play and not even think about lowering any graphics settings or switching back to 2D. I make a habit of only checking FPS in 3D when gameplay is undesirable (it helps troubleshoot which settings impact gameplay the most, and I've loved 3D gameplay so far.) Before NVIDIAs latest driver update, 3D was unplayable on anything but sub HD. NVIDIA reported performance improvements of up to 60% in TR, or something like that.

Btw my Panny does cap at 24fps
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page