Buying vs. building - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
get a cheap case, expensive quality power supply, 650 ti boost, i5

by this time next year there will be new graphics cards and new processors . don't spend a ton of money on a tiny increase in performance.

lots of really good videos on YouTube step by step on how to put it all together.

also listen to this week in computer hard with Ryan Shrout .

forget about overclocking and watercooling. a basic gaming pc will blow your mind.

just my 2cents
mphfrom77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
With Haswell shipping in June, I'd say anyone looking to build a pc just wait till then, the Haswell's are shaping up to be really good CPUs

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #93 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

With Haswell shipping in June, I'd say anyone looking to build a pc just wait till then, the Haswell's are shaping up to be really good CPUs

I'd second that. Are they coming right out with consumer grade chips though, or are they starting with the crazy hex core stuff, with the standard chips coming in a few months?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #94 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'd second that. Are they coming right out with consumer grade chips though, or are they starting with the crazy hex core stuff, with the standard chips coming in a few months?

Not sure actually, but even still I'd say wait for them even if the consumer level chips aren't until like August. I doubt the Sandy or Ivy chips will drop in price much, if at all, but for a bit more than those you could get the newer, better chips.

Sandy Bridge i7-2600K - $302
Ivy Bridge i7-3770K - $329
Haswell i7-4770K - $327

Going by the MSRPs, you might as well wait for the Haswells as it seems the prices are going to be pretty much the same as current gen.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #95 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Not sure actually, but even still I'd say wait for them even if the consumer level chips aren't until like August. I doubt the Sandy or Ivy chips will drop in price much, if at all, but for a bit more than those you could get the newer, better chips.

Don't you think they will be overkill right now though? I mean current gen PC games don't even take full advantage of the quad-cores. I think it will take some time before the i5/i7 series becomes the bottleneck for the next-gen games.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #96 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Don't you think they will be overkill right now though? I mean current gen PC games don't even take full advantage of the quad-cores. I think it will take some time before the i5/i7 series becomes the bottleneck for the next-gen games.

Going by MSRP as I edited in above, there's no reason NOT to get them as the prices look to be on par with current prices for current gen.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #97 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Going by MSRP as I edited in above, there's no reason NOT to get them as the prices look to be on par with current prices for current gen.

Yeah, if they're not going to jack up the price too much for the equivalent chip, might as well get the next gen chips.

post #98 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Also looks like they're dumping the i3 all together, only i5 and i7's are listed. The low-power option seems to be a 35w dual core i5, not too shabby.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #99 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

OK, didn't realize they would be priced comparable to the i5/i7 series. Definitely makes sense then. Just hope my i7 doesn't become obsolete too soon since I just built my PC smile.gif

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #100 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

OK, didn't realize they would be priced comparable to the i5/i7 series. Definitely makes sense then. Just hope my i7 doesn't become obsolete too soon since I just built my PC smile.gif

Nah, not at all, the 3770K will be viable for at least a few more years imo. I'm simply recommending the wait to new builders due to how soon they'll be out and the expected price. When I build a new rig, hopefully starting this fall, it'll be a 4770K based build.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #101 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have any of you tried a pci-e 16x extension cable on a gaming PC, or is this an accident waiting to happen?
post #102 of 213 Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Have any of you tried a pci-e 16x extension cable on a gaming PC, or is this an accident waiting to happen?

Never even heard of those, but looking them up... oy... idk about that. if you want a small case build just pay the cash for a mini vid card

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_Mini/

It's like $30 more than a standard 670 and it's perfectly sized for small cases. Plugging in a card to an extension cable doesn't sit well with me.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #103 of 213 Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Sandy Bridge i7-2600K - $302
Ivy Bridge i7-3770K - $329
Haswell i7-4770K - $327

Going by the MSRPs, you might as well wait for the Haswells as it seems the prices are going to be pretty much the same as current gen.

The list is here.

But what about the new psu thing?
post #104 of 213 Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

The list is here.

But what about the new psu thing?

Shouldn't be much of an issue if you're building from scratch and not upgrading. Intel's got a list of compatible PSUs up.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #105 of 213 Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 740
I think the PSU is just an overstated scare tactic for new news. All PSU's should support that kind of low amperage. The issue is that nobody has specified it. That's what they are saying pretty much. I wouldn't worry about it.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #106 of 213 Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 93
"All PSU's should support that kind of low amperage."

Nah. At too low of an amperage draw, parts of PSUs will fail to kick on as they detect the draw as simply a misreading of zero. Put another way, a PSU with an 18A 12V rail that has a +/-1% tolerance wont see the +0.27% draw of 0.05A and will leave the 12V rail in question shut off.

If you are building today for Haswell, then buy a PSU off the approved list. On the other hand, why would you be building today for Haswell? That's pretty backwards. Build for what's available. smile.gif Building in two months? Then buy a PSU that says "Haswell ready" in two months.
post #107 of 213 Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
post #108 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I knew I should have just jumped on PC gaming a few months ago Now with the way the Xbone is going, it looks like this is something I need to do. At least I can get some steam sales and not pay for the privalege to play online.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #109 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Do it. smile.gif

I'm looking forward to the XB1 and PS4, but not nearly as much as I thought I would be now I'm "console" gaming on a PC.

A good gaming PC is a nice step up from the 360 and PS3 - graphics, speed, availability of a wide variety of games, disc-less, different control schemes, and as Gunner said, no monthly fees. Steam and services like Raptr.com provide the community elements like Friends List and Achievements. And Steam keeps the game patches up-to-date.

The only downside is the initial investment, occasional software/hardware compatibility quirks that need to be ironed out or patched, and building and maintaining the computer, which is much easier than it used to be now that there's YouTube and Google (and AVS! smile.gif ) to find solutions and recommendations to just about any problem.

Just do it.
vpn75 and americangunner like this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #110 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Do it. smile.gif

I'm looking forward to the XB1 and PS4, but not nearly as much as I thought I would be now I'm "console" gaming on a PC.

A good gaming PC is a nice step up from the 360 and PS3 - graphics, speed, availability of a wide variety of games, disc-less, different control schemes, and as Gunner said, no monthly fees. Steam and services like Raptr.com provide the community elements like Friends List and Achievements. And Steam keeps the game patches up-to-date.

The only downside is the initial investment, occasional software/hardware compatibility quirks that need to be ironed out or patched, and building and maintaining the computer, which is much easier than it used to be now that there's YouTube and Google (and AVS! smile.gif ) to find solutions and recommendations to just about any problem.

Just do it.
Plus now that the wife is done with school, I am finally going to go for my teaching degree. I told her that I will need a pc for school work, so I might as well add in a little extra and get one worthy of gaming. wink.gif

post #111 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked: 93
"The only downside is ..."

You forgot about the terrible interface at 10ft and the need to fiddle with settings on every game that you want to play. All three of the current consoles still utterly destroy the PC in terms of letting you pick up the gamepad and get in to playing a game optimized for your specific platform as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Yes, 1080p/60 on the PC is very nice and to play on in the living room. That quality comes with needing to touch a keyboard and mouse, hop on the internet and figure out what setting you need to twiddle to turn of the enforced 30fps cap (Alice), figure out why your video card is enforcing 24hz output (Crysis), figure out which setting is causing your occasional loading stutter breaking your perfectly smooth 60fps with long 1/10 second dropped frames (Bioshock), enforce launching straight to the game instead of a launcher that requires mouse input (Skyrim, Saints Row), shut the game entirely down and start it back up because you let your gamepad go to sleep (Tomb Raider). Oh, and of course Steam wants you to enter your password again because you signed in to buy something on your other PC. This list can go on for days with all the stupid little things you have to deal with before simply sitting down and enjoying the game.

Steam Big Picture wanted to fix some of this, but it did a very half-assed job, poorly remembers the 360 gamepad, and seems to have been forgotten by Valve already.
post #112 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"The only downside is ..."

You forgot about the terrible interface at 10ft and the need to fiddle with settings on every game that you want to play. All three of the current consoles still utterly destroy the PC in terms of letting you pick up the gamepad and get in to playing a game optimized for your specific platform as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Yes, 1080p/60 on the PC is very nice and to play on in the living room. That quality comes with needing to touch a keyboard and mouse, hop on the internet and figure out ...
blah
blah
blah

wink.gif

My $0.02:

Ok, I failed to mentioned that a wireless mouse + keyboard is a required part of the setup, but it holds no problems from my La-Z Boy chair. And the Windows 10ft. experience doesn't bother me at all, but I'm probably at around half that.

As for the others, I would put them under "occasional software/hardware compatibility quirks that need to be ironed out or patched" mentioned. I've experienced most of them, and it's frustrating for a bit when you just want to jump in and play, but a Google search solves most issues in minutes. That's a part of the "charm" of PC gaming (slight sarcasm), and fortunately it's not an issue with every game.

Yep, the consoles win for game UI, simplicity of playing individual games, and co-op/multiplayer ease. Personally, I'll trade those for the all-around availability/cost, variety, ease of access and much better presentation via the PC.

XB1 and PS4 might lure me back to consoles, though.

post #113 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One of these is essential if you plan on couch gaming.

FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, FE02RF-BL (Black)
http://amzn.com/B0090BTY8Y

post #114 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:

One of these is essential if you plan on couch gaming.

FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, FE02RF-BL (Black)
http://amzn.com/B0090BTY8Y

I use this guy. Logitech 400.

I might have to check out the Favi. I like that its backlit.How's the wireless range? My computer is in a media closet about 30 ft away or so.
post #115 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

I use this guy. Logitech 400.

I might have to check out the Favi. I like that its backlit.How's the wireless range? My computer is in a media closet about 30 ft away or so.

I looked at that logitech, but its more of a full sized keyboard, right?. The range on the favi is pretty terrible to be honest, but it'll work fine from your couch to your TV. Forget about 30 feet though. Ideally you only want to grab a keyboard when you absolutely have no other choice, but it gets the job done to launch a quick game, when you dont want to deal with steam.

post #116 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:

I looked at that logitech, but its more of a full sized keyboard, right?. The range on the favi is pretty terrible to be honest, but it'll work fine from your couch to your TV. Forget about 30 feet though. Ideally you only want to grab a keyboard when you absolutely have no other choice, but it gets the job done to launch a quick game, when you dont want to deal with steam.

Yeah. It's a small version of a full keyboard. It's small enough to not be comfortable to type on but it's not remote sized like the favi either. It's shorter than my laptop is wide.

It's got a good wireless range though and I don't have to worry about a keyboard and a mouse.
post #117 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I use the Logitech also, but just the keyboard part. I HATE the divided right shift key (half is an up arrow) - really poor design IMO. Also, the Backspace and Delete keys often gets mixed up.

OTOH, it's comfortable in the lap and decent for typing (except that aforementioned shift key and arrows placement). Works well enough for a left-hand gaming control as long as it's just a few buttons.

post #118 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is it true that if you get a small form factor pc, it isn't as easy to upgrade?

post #119 of 213 Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Only that you are limited in space and usually the amount of connectors/slots to fill.

I'm actually planning on making either a small or HTPC system soon.

I'm very picky about cases, so I've been looking for just the right one.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #120 of 213 Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
I have a friend who works for a very well known game company. He said that there is talk about about not producing PC versions of games with this next generation of home consoles. They really want to focus their attention and the PC and possibly even WiiU could be left out or WiiU will get a very stripped down version. WiiU sales are already bad and with competition coming it doesn't look good for them. He said other developers have discussed this issue also but no official word yet.

GO BLUE
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page