Buying vs. building - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 213 Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Back to the original OP statement, building your own machine isn't as good as it used to be. The margin of profit for pre-built computer makers has come down a LOT. They also get good prices on all of their parts. I built a nice computer on a couple of gaming PC websites and then compared to purchasing all the exact same pieces on Newegg. When I say the exact same I mean the exact same, down to the fans, computer case, etc. The price for the prebuilt ended up being like $150 more, making it $1750 vs $1600. Although that was without windows or microsoft office or any other software/waranty you may get from a pre-built. In addition it arrives on your door step ready to go without any effort what so ever.

Building your own computer comes with some pride of ownership. Buying a computer that was put together for you has a bad reputation and it had good reason to in the past. Dell started this notion of customized prebuilt computers and when they first did this you did have to pay a lot for them but the industry has changed. There are a lot of smaller competitive companies making truly custom builds now.
migraine24-7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 213 Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberling View Post

Back to the original OP statement, building your own machine isn't as good as it used to be. The margin of profit for pre-built computer makers has come down a LOT. They also get good prices on all of their parts. I built a nice computer on a couple of gaming PC websites and then compared to purchasing all the exact same pieces on Newegg. When I say the exact same I mean the exact same, down to the fans, computer case, etc. The price for the prebuilt ended up being like $150 more, making it $1750 vs $1600. Although that was without windows or microsoft office or any other software/waranty you may get from a pre-built. In addition it arrives on your door step ready to go without any effort what so ever.

Building your own computer comes with some pride of ownership. Buying a computer that was put together for you has a bad reputation and it had good reason to in the past. Dell started this notion of customized prebuilt computers and when they first did this you did have to pay a lot for them but the industry has changed. There are a lot of smaller competitive companies making truly custom builds now.

Any suggestions on a pre built that would be good for gaming? Sim racing primarily. Thanks.

GO BLUE
post #183 of 213 Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM

There are a lot of sites that do it. Cyberpowerpc is one. You can start with a basic model and upgrade or change whatever you want.
post #184 of 213 Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberling View Post

You only see a margin that small at the lower-end models from pre-built companies. when you go above that bottom line, that margin gets bigger and bigger. My main issue with prebuilts, is you have no idea of the quality on some parts as they don't reveal the manufacturer of some of the components.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #185 of 213 Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 PM

Eh I guess it depends then. For me a 1700 pc is pretty serious and I haven't compared prices above that grade. As far as the pieces they are using, they are very specific on the two sites I was using.
post #186 of 213 Old 07-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Here is a good starting point.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_D855

You can switch whatever you would like and they show you the manufacturer so you can directly compare to what you would buy on a site like newegg.

Getting Windows/Microsoft Office at a good rate helps with price a lot.

This is what I compared and I think IBuyPower had a $50 premium on me purchasing all the pieces individually and putting it together myself.

Intel Core i7-4770k Quad Core

ASUS Z87-Deluxe LGA 1150

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2

MSI N660 TI Geforce GTX 660 2GB

G Skill 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Tishiba 3 TB 64MP Cache SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5"

NZXT Phantom Phan-001WT White Full Tower

Waiting for all those pieces to ship individually and spending 8 hours to put it all together isn't worth $50 for me. I like getting it out of the box, plugging it in and having all the software/operating system ready to go.
post #187 of 213 Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 12
Well this seems to be the thread for help with building a htpc for gaming.

I have never built a pc but i have confidence that I can do it. I am looking to build a pc that can do streaming from netflix and other online sources, as well as from my local drives. As for gaming capablilities, I am not really looking to upgrade this every couple of years so I will be getting a Playstation 4 for all my newest gaming desires, so the htpc will be for steam games and older games I have kicking around as well as emulators. I would like it to be a smaller sized box, preferrablely ps3 slim sized but smaller would be great. No need for 3d because the Ps's are up to that. I am running 7.1 so output in the high quality audio outputs would be nice ( the actual names escape me at the moment). Budget wise I would like to keep it around $600-700. I'm just looking to run games from this year back and they don't need to be maxed out.

This will be run through my TV so no monitor needed. I'll look into mouse and keyboards later.

I was thinking of using an i5 of some sort and use a SSD of around 250gb for the OS and the steam games I feel like playing. I have an exteral 3tb drive with usb 3 connection for storing all my other games. I assume 8gb of ram since it is not that expensive. That is about as far as I got on my own biggrin.gif

The budget is pretty firm unless something is absolutely necessary. I have the time to wait for sales and rebates

Thanks!!
post #188 of 213 Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I have never built a pc but i have confidence that I can do it.

Building a PC today is less challenging than building something made of LEGO, don't be intimidated.
Quote:
I am looking to build a pc that can do streaming from netflix and other online sources, as well as from my local drives.

You don't really need a PC to do that anymore, but I hear you......
Quote:
As for gaming capablilities, I am not really looking to upgrade this every couple of years so I will be getting a Playstation 4 for all my newest gaming desires, so the htpc will be for steam games and older games I have kicking around as well as emulators. I would like it to be a smaller sized box, preferrablely ps3 slim sized but smaller would be great. No need for 3d because the Ps's are up to that. I am running 7.1 so output in the high quality audio outputs would be nice ( the actual names escape me at the moment). Budget wise I would like to keep it around $600-700. I'm just looking to run games from this year back and they don't need to be maxed out.

Well, for $600 or $700 you can actually do a solid gaming machine. Netflix and such....that stuff can be done on Phones so really that's a non-issue at this point..
Quote:
I was thinking of using an i5 of some sort and use a SSD of around 250gb for the OS and the steam games I feel like playing. I have an exteral 3tb drive with usb 3 connection for storing all my other games. I assume 8gb of ram since it is not that expensive. That is about as far as I got on my own biggrin.gif
The budget is pretty firm unless something is absolutely necessary. I have the time to wait for sales and rebates
Thanks!!

Not for nothing but.....the PS4 is very likely going to be able to do all those things. Heck, a PS3 can do all those things. Your phone can probably do what you need it to do, actually.

Options:

- Just use the PS4 for all of this.

- If streaming from home/internet is what you are really primarily after, spend $60 bucks on a refurbished Western Digital media streaming box with built in wifi. Pay for PS4 with the savings and still have money leftover. Play games on your phone, your tablet, your PS4.

-Spend $500 or less on a pre-built refurbished HP, Dell, Asus Tower system available all over the web....you won't get an SSD for that price but you can always add-one....and it will come with a Windows license (~$75 to $100+) and have an i5 and probably some reasonably well paired videocard (Nvidia 620/640 class) which will certainly handle the type of games you reference above....but you are also paying for other junk you might not want or need.....instead of an SSD you'll get a slow hard drive of unknown brand, you'll get a barely-adequate power supply meaning if you can upgrade the video card to something more robust, to better feed an i5, you'll probably need a new Power Supply to go-with. But still...you open the box and you're good to go, and even then you'll have money to add a 120g+ SSD as your C drive, and use the internal system drive at that point as another storage option.

-Buy a $40 case, a $50 motherboard, an i5 processor, a 128gb SSD (no larger, save a few bucks and put everything on your USB3 externals), maybe an optical drive if you need one.....spend $200 on a decent video card, oh and $100 for that Windows License....RAM...video card or use the integrated video...cobble it all together. Oh, depending on what motherboard you get, you might need an internal or external sound card, depending on what its audio capabilities are on the MB...and if its any good. I'm fine with MB sound, purists demand separate audio cards with superior S/N ratios, etc.

Not sure you have the need for rolling-your-own.......
stangfan94 likes this.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #189 of 213 Old 08-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I will never buy pre built again. Ive saved tons of money by building my own. I built a computer for my mate it cost him $2700 and it should have been $4800 from a shop.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
post #190 of 213 Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

What was the thing made out of, Platinum?? How do you rack up a $2700 dollar PC build, unless you're using (literally) top-shelf components and jamming the thing with RAIDS, SSD's, etc....??!??!?

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #191 of 213 Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Australian PRICES are inflated. We poor consumers get price gouged. A gtx titan in the USA is 999 here its 1400 even when we had the good exchange rate. Lol

The build was a top of line components. 3770k, gtx 780, Samsung 970d monitor, speakers etc

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
post #192 of 213 Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

OOOOH oh oh oh yeah....all that ocean to cross wink.gif Now it makes sense....

post #193 of 213 Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 12
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258049

I picked this up because it has pretty much everything I wanted and has room to upgrade. As with everything I do I find myself over budget but this should keep me happy for several years.
post #194 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I am going to ressurect my old thread. I decided to go ahead and jump into the pc space after buying both consoles and being underwhelmed with the fact that all the games are the exact same thing over and over again. I have missed out on some awesome indie games and miss playing MMO's with my brothers. I had some credit at the dell store, and since I am saving everything I can for my upcoming move, I decided to just go with the XPS 8700. I know that a lot of people will probably snub their nose at me for it, but it at least got my foot in the door. If I end up liking pc gaming a bunch, then I can revisit the idea of building in a couple years and give this one to my wife or to my kids.

Here are some of the specs for it. I am hoping that it can at least run a lot of games at moderate settings. If it can run it higher than I guess that is a win for me.

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #195 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I am going to ressurect my old thread. I decided to go ahead and jump into the pc space after buying both consoles and being underwhelmed with the fact that all the games are the exact same thing over and over again. I have missed out on some awesome indie games and miss playing MMO's with my brothers. I had some credit at the dell store, and since I am saving everything I can for my upcoming move, I decided to just go with the XPS 8700. I know that a lot of people will probably snub their nose at me for it, but it at least got my foot in the door. If I end up liking pc gaming a bunch, then I can revisit the idea of building in a couple years and give this one to my wife or to my kids.

Here are some of the specs for it. I am hoping that it can at least run a lot of games at moderate settings. If it can run it higher than I guess that is a win for me.

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

I'm surprised they even put the GF635 in there, because I'm not even sure it can outperform the integrated GPU. I doubt it will perform acceptably with most games at moderate settings.

If you just want to dip a toe in, your best bet is to pick up a GTX 750 for like $150ish and replace the 635.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #196 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm surprised they even put the GF635 in there, because I'm not even sure it can outperform the integrated GPU. I doubt it can even run most games at moderate settings.

If you just want to dip a toe in, your best bet is to pick up a GTX 750 for like $150ish and replace the 635.
I was looking at the GTX 760. My brother just got the same machine and it seems to be handling WoW just fine, but that isn't a graphics intensive game. The good thing is, like you said, I can always upgrade it and see how it goes from there.

post #197 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was looking at the GTX 760. My brother just got the same machine and it seems to be handling WoW just fine, but that isn't a graphics intensive game. The good thing is, like you said, I can always upgrade it and see how it goes from there.

What's the CPU?

post #198 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Processor

post #199 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 Processor

Sigh, I'll never understand why Dell matches top of the line CPUs with bargain bin graphics.

I dunno if your power supply can support a 760. You'll need at least one 8-pin PCI-E connector for that, no idea whether or not the dell power supply has any (I doubt it). Even then it might not have the wattage.  The GTX 750 Ti is about the best you can do running purely from the motherboard. You'll prob never be able to put anything stronger in that, since the PSU prob isn't standard ATX.

post #200 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, then I will look to start there. I don't plan on running the most graphic intensive games out the game anyways. Mainly looking at some indies and either Elder Scroll online or WoW to play with my brothers. Any shooters I will be playing on consoles since that is where all my friends are.

post #201 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bd, look for some private messages in a month or two, after I have moved and got settled in. Then I will be looking for info on where to go next.

post #202 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Honestly though, is it too late to return it? There are much better options that won't restrict you in the future. The i7 is basically hundreds of dollars of waste.

post #203 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Honestly I looked at all the games that I want to run will do so with no problem. My brother, who is way more knowledgable on this stuff, is going to open it up and make sure the 750 can connect. If so, I will be pretty set. With my credit I had, I only paid $450 for this machine, so I donut I can get anything better in that price range. I'm hoping this computer gets my foot in the door, and then in a year or two I can build a better machine.

post #204 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Honestly I looked at all the games that I want to run will do so with no problem. My brother, who is way more knowledgable on this stuff, is going to open it up and make sure the 750 can connect. If so, I will be pretty set. With my credit I had, I only paid $450 for this machine, so I donut I can get anything better in that price range. I'm hoping this computer gets my foot in the door, and then in a year or two I can build a better machine.

If you're tied to dell then yeah you probably couldn't do any better from them, it's just not really a foundation you can build on, you'll basically have to start all over for your next build. WoW will run great but stuff like Day Z and Civ V will probably chug even at 720p. The 750 (or 750 ti) is going to be a night and day upgrade....it'll be the best $120-150 you've ever spent.

I'm certain the 750 will fit, it's a card designed for people in your situation. Maybe if there's a spare molex you can connect an adapter to it to fuel something better than a 750, but you'd be running very close to the limits of the PSU.

post #205 of 213 Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the 750 will work then that's where I will start. I starting looking at those cards and there are a bunch of different ones, so I'll have do make sure I get the right one. Thanks bd.

post #206 of 213 Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
post #207 of 213 Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah that's the one I'm looking at.

post #208 of 213 Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 206
So just to confirm, you did already purchase the pc and it is being shipped?
post #209 of 213 Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah it is being shipped. I did a lot of research last night, including the games I want to play that are out right now. This system will handle them, and if I upgrade to the video card that Dagamepimp linked above, then it will run them even better. I am not expecting to have my face melted, but then again I am not looking to run those kind of games right now anyways.

post #210 of 213 Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick update. With the video card that came with my pc, I was running WoW on high settings at around 40-60 fps. I got the 750 ti in last night and fired up WoW and ran it on ultra at between 170-200 fps for most of the night. I only dropped under 100 once when I was in a big city with a ton of players. I also turned the draw distance all the way up and it still ran smooth.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page