post #91 of 169 Old 08-10-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahigh View Post

Anyway, my hat is off to Mark. WHAT A GREAT JOB THIS GUY IS DOING!!!
Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 169 Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i posted this in another thread. no responses so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy1234 View Post

So where are the horror stories?

I want to buy one of these, but haven't read much bad stuff about these displays.
It seems as if the one problem with the screen blinking is fixed, since no one has posted about it anymore.

This would be a replacement for my dying Westy LVM-37w3 that I use primarily as a PC monitor, but also as a television.
I'm NOT buying it for the 4k.

I would be buying it because of the decent price for a 50" monitor/tv without the smarttv and 3d garbage I probably would never use.

So, the question is, as a monitor, will it give me a similar or better picture compared to the LVM-37w3 if I use it @ 1920x1080 resolution?

Also, I have a Radeon HD 7800 video card. Is that good enough for attempting to get 4k resolution for the pc for the rare occasion that I play a game or two?

Would I need any special HDMI cables?

And straight from the cable box, for television, will i be stuck with whatever the cable box is capable of outputting?

can anyone help me out?

i don't care one bit about 4k, but like the display size and the price.

post #93 of 169 Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy1234 View Post

i posted this in another thread. no responses so far
can anyone help me out?

i don't care one bit about 4k, but like the display size and the price.

I can't think of a reason you'd want to buy or use this set for anything other than 4K.......its the only reason people are even looking at the set, its downright mediocre to lousy in most other areas.

PS: I went from a Westy W37W1 (yes, two years before your Westy set) to a Panasonic 37" set and the difference is night and day.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #94 of 169 Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My 39in version should be here Friday, ordered some 4k blu-rays as well.I plan on using it mostly as a monitor but will watch some blu ray content. I have a projector in a dedicated theartre but no other tv. So I thought why not go 4k on the cheap. Worth a shot.

James Reid:D
post #95 of 169 Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

So I got my 39in and it is very nice as a monitor and of course 4k looks stunning.Heres the thing and I really wish I would have did more research. The 39in version can not input 120hz at 1080p. This stinks and I really can't believe they did this, I am pretty pissed at my self and at Seiki for not making this 39in accept 120hz. The size is perfect for my for a monitor. grrrr mad.gif

PS my fault for not making sure.

post #96 of 169 Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

So I got my 39in and it is very nice as a monitor and of course 4k looks stunning.Heres the thing and I really wish I would have did more research. The 39in version can not input 120hz at 1080p. This stinks and I really can't believe they did this, I am pretty pissed at my self and at Seiki for not making this 39in accept 120hz. The size is perfect for my for a monitor. grrrr mad.gif

PS my fault for not making sure.

Well some interesting news, I created a custom resolution of 1920x1000 at 120hz, with the CRU and checked it to confirm and this tv is now running at 120hz. Pretty cool. When I tried to game it blanked out on me. However i was able to play movies and the desktop is stable.I would imagine that in the future there may be a firmware update that can help with that.I also created a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 60hz. Gaming was much improved over the UHD res and still looks fantastic. However ultimately I would like to be able to FPS game at 120hz.

post #97 of 169 Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What hardware are you planning on running that can maintain a 120+ FPS framerate, even if it was possible to display it with HDMI's current limitations....

My problem with chasing resolution (really something we haven't had to deal with much in the world of PC gaming since the major switch away from CRT's to LCD's, which tended to top out mostly at 1200p) is that the hardware necessary to drive the high resolutions is usually prohibitively expensive and underpowered at first....eg: The $1000 video card only gives you barely adequate performance at that super-high rez....so then it takes a few years for things to balance out.....eventually driving the resolution isn't the bottleneck and its the new visual API's they are using that tax the GPU...until finally the hardware is crushing most of the game engines out there, and someone decides its time to up panel resolutions again smile.gif

Circle of Life!

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #98 of 169 Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Seiki 39" 4K Ultra (3840x2160) LED LCD HDTV for $549.99 w/ Code: "CEL98809" at TigerDirect. They have a Labor Day sale going on.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8430969&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=Es5Ekr9eEBk-TPgT0n2T1E__NX7Ll2Y40A
post #99 of 169 Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Capture.JPG 96k .JPG file
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

What hardware are you planning on running that can maintain a 120+ FPS framerate, even if it was possible to display it with HDMI's current limitations....

My problem with chasing resolution (really something we haven't had to deal with much in the world of PC gaming since the major switch away from CRT's to LCD's, which tended to top out mostly at 1200p) is that the hardware necessary to drive the high resolutions is usually prohibitively expensive and underpowered at first....eg: The $1000 video card only gives you barely adequate performance at that super-high rez....so then it takes a few years for things to balance out.....eventually driving the resolution isn't the bottleneck and its the new visual API's they are using that tax the GPU...until finally the hardware is crushing most of the game engines out there, and someone decides its time to up panel resolutions again smile.gif

Circle of Life!

I am using an HD7970 gfx card with an FX8350 cpu. I actually made another res of 1920x1080@120hz and games ran smooth as butter. Very nice. You can game at 4k, it looks stunning but the motion lag is insane. I tell you this is a fantastic monitor, specially now that i can get 120hz.Like I said even the 2560x1440@60hz was excellent motion wise but the 120hz was super smooth but not as crisp a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (95.8 KB, 12 views)

post #100 of 169 Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM

has anyone here actually viewed the SEIKI in person? I'd be curious to hear how it looks in real time. Concerning the Leonidis, my buddy has one of those, and they are pretty vicious screens. However, if you are trying to use it as a personal desktop working screen, I almost find that it is too big, as it requires too much head movement to get from one corner to the other...
post #101 of 169 Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grothrop View Post

has anyone here actually viewed the SEIKI in person? I'd be curious to hear how it looks in real time. Concerning the Leonidis, my buddy has one of those, and they are pretty vicious screens. However, if you are trying to use it as a personal desktop working screen, I almost find that it is too big, as it requires too much head movement to get from one corner to the other...

It looks great, I use the 4k for my desktop and go down to 2k at 60hz or 1080p@120hz for gaming. I connected my OPPO 103 to it and Netflix looks great, still waiting for some 4k discs to arrive but I imagine they will look great. Considering the price I am in know way disappointed. In fact I am very happy.This is an awesome monitor.I used my ione display by xrite to calibrate and it made a massive difference.

post #102 of 169 Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

It looks great, I use the 4k for my desktop and go down to 2k at 60hz or 1080p@120hz for gaming. I connected my OPPO 103 to it and Netflix looks great, still waiting for some 4k discs to arrive but I imagine they will look great. Considering the price I am in know way disappointed. In fact I am very happy.This is an awesome monitor.I used my ione display by xrite to calibrate and it made a massive difference.

Ok so I took a picture of the UFO test and sure enough there was frame skipping. Oh well looking forward to the firmware fix because it looks great as is.

post #103 of 169 Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM

nice to hear! that is definitely a relief that they will have a viable entry level 4k tv out!!
post #104 of 169 Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM

I just got my 39" version, every once in a while the screen develops a vertical line down the center of the screen. I looks like it's very uneven in the back lighting.

The line seems to randomly show up whenever I power up the screen.

Has anyone else had this issue? Anything I can do about this?
post #105 of 169 Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_konysh View Post

I just got my 39" version, every once in a while the screen develops a vertical line down the center of the screen. I looks like it's very uneven in the back lighting.

The line seems to randomly show up whenever I power up the screen.

Has anyone else had this issue? Anything I can do about this?

I have no issues with any line, you really need to calibrate this screen, I will post my settings, makes a massive difference.
First turn the back light down to 39.
Contrast is 44
Brightness 45
red gain 140
green gain 124
blue gain 104.
I used my I1 display to calibrate.

post #106 of 169 Old 11-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

I use my 39in Seiki as a monitor and prefer to set it at 2560x1440 @72hz, this makes gaming and general desktop use smoother. I have watched a few 4k re masters with this and it is pretty cool, you have to be close to really get the 4k benefit.

post #107 of 169 Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 PM

I really wanted to like using this as a monitor, but I'm have 2 issues on the panel.

Pictures of the vertical line, hard to show details in a picture:

I have tried updating FW, multiple inputs, but it even shows up over the menu OSD. Every time I turn it on the line is not there, but show up after about 10 min.

Additionally there is one blemish that looks like a dead pixel, but from the users view it moves relative to the background. Here are 2 pictures from different angles, without the background/cursor moving:

I tried cleaning it off with a microfiber cloth, no luck.

Wish I had bought it at a local store... I wanted to buy several of these for work, but with issues like these i'm not sure.

Has anyone done a warrantee return to Seiki? Does anyone know where their warrantee center is? or How much shipping will be?
post #108 of 169 Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 232
From the pictures you posted, I don't see a vertical line. Instead I see color separation with green. Looks to me like half of the screen (from center to edge) is 2 different shades of green. I would definitely call Seiki tech support to try and debug this. This may be a defective backlight issue. And they should give you an RMA for it.
post #109 of 169 Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

...and that close up shot sure looks like about six or seven pixels are not functioning on the display *or* there is something small and black sandwiched between the screen glass.

post #110 of 169 Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

I would send it back,mine is flawless as far as dead pixels and that line should not be there.

post #111 of 169 Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM

My view, observation, & suggestion to Seiki

I was hot to get a 50" or even a 39" 4K Seiki. Sears has them on sale for $760 and $520 respectively at the moment. HOWEVER, I was reminded by a friend that CES is coming in about 6 weeks and the rollout of new equipment will be upon us. It is my understanding that Sony owns the technology and everyone else is tagging along for the ride. They also own the biggest content producing machine. All major new movies will be shot in 4K by them and the will be releasing 4K versions of past movies they have produced. Sony 4K Display's are a bit different than the 4K of others.

My point is this. I do NOT want to pay a Sony price. I have 3 Nixeus 2560*1440 because I did not want to pay a 'name-brand' price which is inflated because of their advertising and promotion. I AM willing to pay for a no-name product that does what I need, and does it well. Nixeus falls into that category. I use my monitors for productivity and gaming. I desperately want a 4K display. I almost bought a 39" and a 50" from sears, those prices are hard to pass up. But as a gamer I think I will wait because the 2.0 HDMI spec is a minimum and a Displayport is a huge plus and I expect the 2nd generation Seiki to have both. This would be a smart thing for them to do especially for the gamer market. SEIKI, if you are monitoring this thread gamers will flock to your door if you offer a 4K monitor that will deliver the full DP 1.2 spec. Also if that monitor will allow using multiple DP or HDMI for true 120HZ gaming @ 4K you will become a household name in the house of gamers. While others are talking about lack of content, gamers can produce their own content. That will drive this market tremendously. That is why I bought 3 2560*1440 monitors. It was from a company that had an American presence at a price that was acceptable with the technology that I wanted. The productivity on the Seiki is probably good, but I, and most other gamers are already covered there. The gamer side is always looking for improvement; bigger and better

Playing 1920*1080 @120HZ is not a gamers idea of a good time on a 2560*1440 monitor. Granted, I have not seen what it looks like on a 4K resolution but it sets up a culture of being critical when it does not look good.

I like what Seiki is doing because they are putting pressure on the major companies to lower their pricing. I want them to put more heat on by raising the level of technology in their 4K offering. If you do this Seiki, I will buy at least a smaller one for my self for gaming and one for home viewing. I will probably buy 3 more larger format ones for my daughters, two of which are graduating from college this spring and another for my older daughter that has a 46" 120HZ Sony.

It might also be a good touch to come out with a 4K Bluray & upscale player to complete the package.
post #112 of 169 Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'd also love to buy one of those Seiki 4ks too as a gamer, but i need 3D now and low input lag of under 40ms too, in addition to displayport/HDMI 2.0. Why each brand hasn't come out with a single line gaming TVs that covers all those bases i don't understand. Aren't dual link DVI and displayport free to implement?
cardoski likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #113 of 169 Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM

YES, YES, YES:

These will do 3D and if they implement HDMI 2.0 and/or DisplayPort 1.2 we are(almost) home free. We just need a way to couple the inputs so the bandwidth can be addressed. Display port is free to use and would probably cost no more than a couple of dollars to integrate at most. It makes no sense to me why they don't do it because(IMHO) they will make up the extra cost in added sales. They make thousands of these to sell world wide so every dollar counts. $1 extra per unit is $100,000 in cost if the make 100,000 units. depending on their profit margin if they make $100 per unit they have to sell 1000 extra units (to people that want dp)to break even on the cost of adding DP. That is where the issue comes in. I am sure in the new models they will incorporate it.( But I have been wrong before)

Nixeus did it right by adding DP, HDMI, DVI, & VGA on their monitors. They underestimated demand and kept running out.

The only thing about the 3D is what glasses will it need to use. I have AMD/ATI so tridef is what I will be using. I did not like the decision AMD made to keep S3d an open standard but I see their wisdom in it now. I will be installing my first R9 290 tonight to replace my dual 2GB 5870 Eyefinity cards. I will upgrade as I see fit. but all the benchmarks have this single R9 290 beating the pants off of the crossfired 5870's by a wide margin. That is what I have been waiting for. As far as you wanting a S3D monitor!!! I would wait a bit longer. This is the worst time ever to buy 6 month old equipment IMO!!!
post #114 of 169 Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

To me 39in at 2560X1440 @72hz makes it so worth it. When calibrated it looks awesome, I play BF3 and COD Black Ops and it looks sweet. I am about 18in away.I have one HD7970 thinking of adding a second and giving the 4K a go again, but I found it laggy unless I turned everything down. 2K@ 72hz at this size is real nice. As far as just a TV I wouldnt bother.

Also I heard folks were doing passive 3D with the 50in models.

post #115 of 169 Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM

IF ANYONE CAN WAIT UNTIL BLACK FRIDAY!!!!

Sears will be selling the 39" for $500, the 50" for $750 and the 55" for $850. I may get the 50" to test out this week and then decide if I want to invest the xtra $100 for the 55" or take it back. I would like to see first hand what the limitations are.

I will have to try the 2560 @ 72Hz but basically I want something that is going to trump what I already have.
post #116 of 169 Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcforde View Post

IF ANYONE CAN WAIT UNTIL BLACK FRIDAY!!!!

Sears will be selling the 39" for $500, the 50" for $750 and the 55" for $850. I may get the 50" to test out this week and then decide if I want to invest the xtra $100 for the 55" or take it back. I would like to see first hand what the limitations are.

I will have to try the 2560 @ 72Hz but basically I want something that is going to trump what I already have.

This is what I used to get the custom resolution. Also try out my calibration settings, is pretty bad pre calibration.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

post #117 of 169 Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I bought the 50 inch back in the Spring and it was nice for pc gaming, the 30hz didn't bother me too much because the 2160p was outstanding. However, the monitor crashed in October and I have had a nightmare dealing with Seiki, mostly can't get through on the phone. Then once through had to pay $200 to ship it, then they screwed around with it for weeks and still haven't received it yet. Mind you I paid the 1400 original price for it so I have 1600 in it with 4-5 months of use. Knowing all of that I'm still going to Sears on Black Friday to get another, damit I hate being a sucka for tech. Btw as a regular tv it is awful.
post #118 of 169 Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post

I bought the 50 inch back in the Spring and it was nice for pc gaming, the 30hz didn't bother me too much because the 2160p was outstanding. However, the monitor crashed in October and I have had a nightmare dealing with Seiki, mostly can't get through on the phone. Then once through had to pay $200 to ship it, then they screwed around with it for weeks and still haven't received it yet. Mind you I paid the 1400 original price for it so I have 1600 in it with 4-5 months of use. Knowing all of that I'm still going to Sears on Black Friday to get another, damit I hate being a sucka for tech. Btw as a regular tv it is awful.

You just convinced me 100% not to touch one of these panels. I was leery from the beginning about its cheaper price. And your comment proved what I feared. Seiku built this thing totally on the cheap to sell volume. Not service. Your example implies that they don't really have a service department. They just expect us to go out and buy another one even cheaper, if the first one breaks. No thank you! I'll wait until the big boys show up with affordable models. Like Sony...Samsung...LG...Toshiba. I'd rather spend more and have service locked in. I also don't care for the 30 FPS limitation of this panel. I'll also wait to see what the monitor folks wade in with...Dell...Asus...others. I may go that route with a 40"er if it doesn't cost me my firstborn.
post #119 of 169 Old 11-18-2013, 04:06 PM

They are available RIGHT NOW online at SEARS 39" for $520, the 50" for $722 and the 55" for $825. The only catch is you have to sign up for "FRIENDS & FAMILY" (there is no charge for doing this). - THIS DEAL ENDS TUESDAY - You can get immediate in-store pickup if the Sears you choose has them in stock. I was trying to see what the Sears warranty cost. You can not get it online. HOWEVER, the sales guy at my Sears said he could sell me one. It is $300. You can also buy it online in the store (on their computer) Sears will just give you another TV, if it craps out, and unlike other extended warranties it transfers to the new TV. I have never bought an extended warranty in my life BUT this time I think I will. The cost for the 50" & 55" is $300 for 3 years. I am buying this for a family Christmas present and in 3 years technology will have moved on big time. In the meantime, I will have downtime insurance. Now I can "TEST THE UNIT OUT IN MY CAVE" until Christmas. There demands are not a stringent as mine either and it will be an upgrade for them from a 40" 720P Sony projection TV. I will be the HERO, LOL!!!

My question now is are the 50" & 55" basically the same electronically? (I have seen that the 39" is a lesser offering) but not a lot is being said about the 55" here.

Cardoski, I will try that probably this evening. I just picked up a 55" from Sears. Bought it online and picked it up at the store.
post #120 of 169 Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 71
On Sears online website it shows the 55" 4K version for $824.60.
http://www.sears.com/seiki-55-8221-class-4k-120hz-led-ultra-hdtv/p-05771591000P

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page