Best small gaming TV (32"-42") for PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the forums and couldn't find any new (2013) information on smaller televisions for PC gaming. Apologies if this is in any way redundant or answered elsewhere as I couldn't find it.

I'm looking for a good gaming Television for my PC gaming (that's 1080p of course) 32" - 42". Space is a consideration for me, budget really isn't, though I'd prefer to keep it under $1000 but I'll go a bit over if it's something really nice and bigger than 32" but smaller than 42".

I was thinking of getting the panasonic plasma 42, but I'd really like something smaller and I know plasmas don't get smaller than 42.

Right now I'm using a Vizio 32" and needless to say, it's atrocious.

My rig is pretty decent - i5 3570, 24gb RAM, Intel 335 SSD, Hitachi pre-flood 1TB, MSI Twin Frozr 7950 OC'd to 1100, dvd multi, blu ray, misc bells and whistles I've forgotten.

Thank you in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Samsung, Panasonic, or LG LED TVs. Those are your choices unless you want to go with LCD. You'll have to research which ones are best for PC inputs and how to properly set them up as many require a lot of fooling around before they properly recognize a PC signal over HDMI though most work fine over VGA because they are designed to.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Panasonic Viera. (LED LCD)

SORRY: Should have said "Panasonic Viera is one possible suggestion", I know there were some Samsung and LG displays that worked well too). I tried an LG and after putting it into PC mode it had no perceptible lag on my machine, but ultimately I chose a Viera 37"......again, in regular mode its almost fine...but it game mode its extremely fine with a mouse, can't feel any lag at all.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I assume your using a 32" 720P Vizio? That may be atrocious due to the age but Vizio is a very top brand and excellent for gaming/pc monitors. I'm typing on a 32" SV320XVT that I purchased in 2010 and I haven't upgraded because it is still an excellent PC monitor. I would recommend taking another look at Vizio, its a brand that has a very good cost to benefit ratio.

With that said, you might want to do some research on Plasma for PC gaming. Plasma, like DLP was not designed for a PC display. You will find they have a slight blurry look or halo around text, especially at the 1080P resolution. You could get a nice 32" LED LCD for well under $1K. You may also want to test your seating distance, I was going to get a 42" originally but I sit about 2.5 - 3FT away and 42" is a bit daunting to control at that distance.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll second the Vizio opinion. I bought one recently not expecting much, but am very pleased with it for TV and PC. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but those just slow down your lag anyway. Plain and simple with a great picture, 3D, and price, it's all I could ask for. Hopefully it doesn't burn up, but I bought an extended warranty just in case.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

I'll second the Vizio opinion. I bought one recently not expecting much, but am very pleased with it for TV and PC. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but those just slow down your lag anyway. Plain and simple with a great picture, 3D, and price, it's all I could ask for. Hopefully it doesn't burn up, but I bought an extended warranty just in case.

Which model # did you get, and where did you buy it and for how much ?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Model E5501-A0
Best Buy
$799

Game mode, all post processing off, with Acer inf and reverse polarization regedit hack for PC input, and it appears to do 3D in 2D mode cutting post processing even further without 3DTV play. Non PC inputs are fed through the receiver, and all work well. I prefer the smart tv functions over the PS3, which now feeds my projector. I realize the original poster asked about a smaller tv as a desktop monitor, but these new Vizios are no slouch, or at least so far I'm pretty impressed.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
With that said, you might want to do some research on Plasma for PC gaming. Plasma, like DLP was not designed for a PC display. You will find they have a slight blurry look or halo around text, especially at the 1080P resolution. You could get a nice 32" LED LCD for well under $1K. You may also want to test your seating distance, I was going to get a 42" originally but I sit about 2.5 - 3FT away and 42" is a bit daunting to control at that distance.

At 42" from that distance, you are going to see pixels if you look for them.....37" is about ideal for a desktop unless you sit 4+ feet from your screen...then a 42" starts to make sense...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Just to add some additional info since you mentioned the warranty. I have the SV320XVT and SV420XVT, both have performed very well in their role as HTPC/TV monitors for three years and going now. I did purchase warranties as you did just in case.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic has a new line of full-array LED TVs called DirectLED. Take a look at those babies. They come in 39-inch and I think there might be a 42 as well.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just saw a 32-inch Sony LED TV that is made for gaming. Fits your budget and space requirements perfectly.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page