I thought about building an old 3Dfx PC rig to play games from 97, 98 and 99, or should I just buy games on GOG ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Back in 1997, 1998 and 1999 I was primarily a PC gamer, and was using a PC with a 3Dfx voodoo card, and then I think I switched to an ATI Rage card in 1999. Anyways, there are lots of old PC games I'd like to mess with, but I'm wondering if I buy the GOG versions, will they really run properly on a modern day PC ? Will they run too fast ? Here are some games I'd be interested in revisting:

MDK
Tomb Raider 1 & 2
G-Police
Unreal
Half Life
Midtown Madness
Blade Runner
SiN
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

stuff like that....

Is there a way to emulate a 3Dfx based pc ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From Toms Play 3DFX games on modern GPU?
post #3 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Virtual machine, dosbox or do a google search for "game name windows 7".

Good luck!
post #4 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Back in 1997, 1998 and 1999 I was primarily a PC gamer, and was using a PC with a 3Dfx voodoo card, and then I think I switched to an ATI Rage card in 1999. Anyways, there are lots of old PC games I'd like to mess with, but I'm wondering if I buy the GOG versions, will they really run properly on a modern day PC ? Will they run too fast ? Here are some games I'd be interested in revisting:

MDK
Tomb Raider 1 & 2
G-Police
Unreal
Half Life
Midtown Madness
Blade Runner
SiN

stuff like that....

You can use a GLIDE2D3D wrapper. I've used it with several games and it works well. However, since I have experience with several of those titles, I must remind you that many of them on that list work better in Direct3D. Unreal for example, has had improved fan patches that work far better than the original. I do believe that SiN and it's add-on Wages of Sin require a non-widescreen monitor as they are limited to specific resolutions that are not widescreen. G-Police probably won't work and I know I could never get it to work properly and it probably requires a non-widescreen display too. Jedi Knight has issues with current hardware so you need to look up the fixes and such and the engine doesn't properly support widescreen displays from what I've experienced.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found a Pentium 4 2.4GHz and a Socket 478 motherboard that had AVAILABLE (for download) Windows 98 drivers (<-Hardest part), a GeForce 6200 128MB and 1GB DDR RAM. Installed Win 98 SE2 and off you go.

I'm playing Fallout 1 and 2, WarHammer 40K Chaos Gate and Vengeance of the Blood Angels, Theme Hospital, Wing Commander the Kilrathi Saga (joystick support equals lots of fun too), Unreal Tournament, Diablo I, Command and Conquer/C&C Red Alert, etc, etc, etc.

Now I know some of these you can get to run on XP and Vista/7 with mods and hacks and whatever, but it's always best to run an application on the OS it was written to run on. Win 98 will run anything written for DOS and Win 95 perfectly.

Y'know, getting all of it to WORK is half the fun. smile.gif

There are a few Win98 sites still around to help with USB drivers. That will be lots of fun to get working right.

I would also keep it OFF the internet if possible, but if you absolutely have to, put AVG 8.5 on there immediately (oldapps.com) and the last version of Opera that ran on 98.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I thought the whole point of GOG was to run old games on current systems. One of the last games I bought through them was Planescape Torment, and there were links on the page for mods to make it run in widescreen, and higher resolution. It will run without them, but at the original resolutions and aspect ratios.

A lot of those games are available through steam too.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #7 of 16 Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man, I had a really good 3DFx PC that I gave to a thrift store a few years back. I could have just used that and then get an old PC CRT monitor. I should have known to save that PC...
post #8 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I can confirm that a lot of those games work perfectly fine under modern machines and operating systems, and are actually better in many cases since you can get custom widescreen resolutions and full antialiasing/anisotropic filtering.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament play great on modern machines. You can get today's resolutions and proper widescreen FOVs with some quick edits. As I'm sure many here already know, www.wsgf.org is the place to go for that info. The site also has a nifty patch for SiN that edits resolution hex values for you. Check the Steam forums for a replacement DLL file if you get a buffer overrun error upon SiN's startup.

You don't have to worry about a game like Tomb Raider or Unreal running too fast if you simply enable vsync.

For games that run under the Glide renderer, a quick install of nGlide will give you a top quality Glide solution that supports modern resolutions. This is especially useful for a game like the original Tomb Raider. Some other games that use Glide natively support Direct3D or OpenGL as well, so a Glide solution isn't needed in those cases.

Then there are of course OpenGL source ports for games like Quake and Quake II that provide effects and resolutions well beyond what a retro system will allow. I recommend "DarkPlaces" for Quake, "KMQuake II" for Quake II and "GZDoom" for all of the DOS-based Doom games.

With Creative ALchemy you can even re-enable EAX effects in older games if you have an X-Fi sound card. For a top quality MIDI solution, I recommend the SGM-V2.01 SoundFont for use with an X-Fi card. MIDI-based games like Sam & Max and the Doom series sound great with it.
DaverJ and barrelbelly like this.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I would also like to recommend Klingon Honor Guard if you have access to a set of ISOs for it. It works wonderfully under a Glide2D3D wrapper and the card can scale it properly to a 16:9 display. It was the first Unreal Engine game made - before the actual Unreal was completed - so the pre-release Unreal engine used with the game is buggy as can be with Direct3D rendering for the Unreal engine which was in the testing phases at the time. As for WSGF, a lot of the information there is hit or miss and much of it is outdated. I've tried the widescreen FOV hacks on several games like Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy and they just DO NOT WORK at all - with some being completely unplayable - and many of the config hacks for those slightly older games are for the 16:10 monitors, so you may have to do some calculations of your own and see where you end up.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My personal preference is dosbox and some of the other emulator tools out there. I find it very useful, especially when you need a custom resolution forced for certain games that may have no resolution options. Plus, I get to pipe it out digitally to the projector and blow those glorious pixels up.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

MDK
Tomb Raider 1 & 2
G-Police
Unreal
Half Life
Midtown Madness
Blade Runner
SiN

stuff like that....

Most of those games run just fine direct from steam on a modern PC. I was just playing unreal not too long ago, a lot of those early shooters were so simple that they don't feel outdated at all.

Tomb raider on the other hand....let's just say some fond memories are better left as memories.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
They redid Tomb Raider not long ago. Didn't they add some enhancements? Legend or something, wasn't that a remake of #1?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #13 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Steam and Good Old Games both work great with no hassle.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #14 of 16 Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

They redid Tomb Raider not long ago. Didn't they add some enhancements? Legend or something, wasn't that a remake of #1?

Tomb Raider: Anniversary was a remake of the first one. Pretty decent, too.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and this guy mentioned the game "G-Police". The game came out on Playstation, but the PC version was much, much better. I remember playing that game with my 3Dfx PC, and it reminded me of this thread.

I really need to try running some of these old games on my current PC and see how it works..
post #16 of 16 Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

G-Police was awesome. I loved that demo with the out of control construction thingie that you had to stop. The game doesn't seem to work on modern systems though. It's not made for widescreen or modern DirectX though you can now buy LED monitors with the 4:3 ratio to play the older games that do work on modern PCs but require that aspect ratio.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page