Bioshock Infinite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Since there hasn't been any Bioshock Infinite threads in this forum I thought I'd start one. I thought I'd put off Metro: Last Light and pick this one up cheap off eBay for $19 before people ran out of their Steam coupons.

What a fun game. It's well done, looks nice, runs well and most of all, it's stable- it hasn't crashed or locked up once on my machine so far. Highly recommended.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I was planning on buying it when it hit $20. Looks good but I've got 3 more game to get through before I even think about getting it but I will for sure grab it since of all great reviews.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
It's fine. I regret shelling out full price for it, though. It's a big disappointment in a lot of ways. $20 sounds like a good place to jump in.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #4 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

It's fine. I regret shelling out full price for it, though. It's a big disappointment in a lot of ways. $20 sounds like a good place to jump in.

Yeah, same here. It's a fun game though and looks pretty nice but is a real letdown from the first Bioshock.Hopefully the upcoming DLC will improve on this.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #5 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

It's a big disappointment in a lot of ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

is a real letdown

+1

Totally agree on both of those segments of your posts (which I clipped to express my shared opinion and not to take your posts out of context).

Jason
post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Yeah, I posted about it in another thread (I think maybe the Steam thread, or maybe the Xbox 360 for the game), but I agree, it was overrated. The gameplay itself (ie, the shooting) just ended up being something that I actively dreaded by the end.

The whole game consisted of using one vigor on one type of enemy, and another on the other type, and following that up with lots of shooting until the effects wore off, and then repeating. The much-touted skylines were only present maybe 5 times through the entire game, and while the 'roller-coaster' feeling on them was done excellently, the gunplay on there even felt off.

Even the story, I thought that was a little overrated as well. It improved towards the end, but I thought praise for it was completely overblown. The ending was interesting and new for a game, but it's not like other media hasn't explored very similar concepts, even very recently.

I enjoyed it, but I would only give it about an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. Still, for this weekend's discounted price, it should have been a no-brainer for anyone who doesn't own it yet.

(In contrast though, I finally got around to playing HL2: Episode Two for the first time this weekend, and it was just shocking how much more compelling the gunplay felt there... even without any vigor type effects. And of course that's not the only example of a FPS that feels more interesting than Bioshock Infinite. I'm not sure what felt so dull in Bioshock Infinite's shooting, but they did something wrong there.)

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I enjoyed the game a lot, but then again I played it for the story more than the gameplay. I figured out the plot very early in the game, and played through wondering how they were going to pull it off. I think it's a solid game and don't really understand all the criticism, unless of course you read all the hype and were expecting the holy grail, in which case you should have known better, and deserve to be disappointed.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Another thing I missed from the first game was a reason to replay the game with the multiple-endings and whole rescue vs. harvest decision with the Little Sisters.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

I enjoyed the game a lot, but then again I played it for the story more than the gameplay.
For all of my disappointments in the game, the story was the biggest disappointment of all. It was a total mess that only "comes together" because the central narrative conceit is a giant deus ex machina. It was as bad as an M. Night Shyamalan movie, and it only got worse as the story progressed. Hell, even FC3 Blood Dragon had a more coherent and enjoyable story, but at least Blood Dragon wasn't as self-indulgent and self-important.

But the first hour or two of Infinite were absolutely brilliant, especially the sections of the game before you ever fire a single bullet. Sublime. Then it all goes downhill.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bioshock is Shyamalan, and has been since day one. How much did you honestly expect from a secessionist confederate floating city to begin with, lol. It is what it is, and if you go in with the right mindset you'll probably enjoy it. Blood Dragon threw all care to the wind and was great, but I've even seen people try to analyze it as well. If that's how they entertain themselves, all the better.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Bioshock is Shyamalan, and has been since day one. How much did you honestly expect from a secessionist confederate floating city to begin with, lol. It is what it is, and if you go in with the right mindset you'll probably enjoy it. Blood Dragon threw all care to the wind and was great, but I've even seen people try to analyze it as well. If that's how they entertain themselves, all the better.
I wasn't comparing the two games. Merely on its own, Infinite has big problems.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

But the first hour or two of Infinite were absolutely brilliant, especially the sections of the game before you ever fire a single bullet. Sublime. Then it all goes downhill.

I have to agree on this part. The other thing that bothered me a ton, which the story explained away but it still bothered me, is that it presents you with choices, and yet none of them matter. Early on, there's the scene that gets the action going, and it doesn't matter which you select, except for getting an item later on. Similar things happen a few times throughout the game.

One last thing about the game is something I read on Twitter at some point and can't take credit for it. Basically, the person said something like "Have you ever seen the commercial for Bioshock Infinite? I want to play the game in that commercial instead." I have to agree... if you went by the commercial alone, it seems like a much more interesting game.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
I've been really antsy to get a hold of this game, but time and money always seem to be standing in the way. Glad to see the good reviews on it though, but it makes me want to play really bad. Anyone else catch the $5 Bioshock 1&2 combo deal on Amazon the other day? I guess that will have to tide me over! biggrin.gif
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page