PC gaming and front projectors.... anything new going on ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have to imagine that some of the PC gamers here hook their rigs up to front projectors. For those that do, I have a question....

What's the latest bro ? Is anything going on in the projector world, in respect to PC gaming ? Is it all about getting a good 1080p projector ? Is 3D still a thing ? (3D kinda fizzled out on the console side). Can any projectors do 1080p in 3d at 60 frames ?

What about 3 projectors and eyefinity or nvidia surround. Has anybody tried it ? Obviously, it would be a huge cost to have 3 projectors, and the install for all three would be a big headache, plus think of the sound of 3 projectors running in the same room. Think of the heat and the light they would shoot out. You'd have to have 3 screens mounted up.

What about beyond 1080p in the projector world? Has anybody ever heard anything about a 2560x 1440 projector ? I guess 4K projectors will eventually come along, but the price will be in the stratosphere for the near term.

I'm still running a 720p projector, but my situation is a bit more complicated because of my needs for lens shift and some other things. I can't just get the most often recommended projector, because it will likely have some problem for me with not having enough lens shift, or enough zoom, or the offset is too extreme. There is always something that screws it up, so I've yet to find a decent projector to solve all my problems. Meanwhile, I'm thinking there has to be something new coming in the projector world.... right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I can't imagine the room you would need to display 3 screens.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #3 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have my pc connected to my pj. Just a decent lcos 1080p projector. Nothing special about it other than games like Crysis 3 look amazing on the big screen.

I never bothered upgrading to a 3d projector. I have a 3d tv and don't bother to use the 3d on that. Parts of it were cool, like looking down the scope of a gun was neat, but the issues just outweigh the benefits. I think that 3 screens would be really neat if you had a room that you could dedicate to just that. I think I'd rather just explore the Oculus rift route though.

The thing I'd like to see from the pj world is a bright led or laser pj.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I can't imagine the room you would need to display 3 screens.

Well, sure, you'd need a pretty large room. Mostly you'd need a larger room, just to install the 3 different projectors on the ceiling. You'd need a pretty good amount of space on your ceiling, just to get those babies installed. I mean, you couldn't put them too close together, because they would need to be able to dissipate the heat. As for the screen part of it, you'd have to downsize all of the screens. So, your primary 16:9 screen that is in the center, would be considerably smaller than if you didn't have 3 screens, so that's a huge factor as well. Getting all 3 projectors aligned properly would be a pretty big deal as well.

Still, I'd love to see what it looked like. Of course, until I hit a Powerball jackpot I don't think I'll be able to find out. smile.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't the two side screens be at an angle to the middle screen? Just having one gigantic wall of an image that just extends out is kinda weird. Also, while there is no bezel, you can easily see the line where the two screens come together, and I can imagine it being somewhat of a buzzkill, always seeing those lines and knowing they are there.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Shouldn't the two side screens be at an angle to the middle screen? Just having one gigantic wall of an image that just extends out is kinda weird. Also, while there is no bezel, you can easily see the line where the two screens come together, and I can imagine it being somewhat of a buzzkill, always seeing those lines and knowing they are there.

That's what I was picturing with three projectors. Angled into your periphery for immersion rather than just a really wide screen with seems.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Liked: 18
I'd say that demo was pretty awesome considering there was about 50ft of storefront glass and the finest quality Walmart blinds and projector mounting hardware.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't updated myself on the latest with the eyefinity but my understanding was it wasn't designed quite for that scenario. The goal with that technology is to enable the use of a much larger single screen that would exceed the capabilities of one of the projectors you already own. By splitting up the screen, you shrink the image, and increase the focus of the lumens of that projector. A classic but often times little known example is IMAX. It actually is powered by two projectors, creating two seamless boxes at least to human eyes.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
Unfortunately there's not much new for gaming on projectors. No higher resolutions that I know of, no 60fps 1080p 3D. I think that will have to wait until next year, after HDMI 2.0 is formalized.

3D is still great on PC. It doesn't work well on every game, but there's plenty of good/great ones. Personally I have two projectors, a 1080p one for 2D and a cheaper 720p one for 3D. If 3D isn't an option for a game then I'll play in native 1080p 2D, but I feel 720p 3D is superior.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I was looking into a 720p led projector for gaming, but too many focus issues on alot of them.

Check this one out, using-multiple-1080p-projectors-for-gaming

Edit: Just read over at acer k330 that "1280x720 @ 1280x800 @ 120 Hz and 120 Hz perfect!!"

So if I'm reading that correct, with a good graphics card you should be able to get 120 fps gaming at 1280x800 and 720. I'm sure its not as smooth as a 120hz low lag monitor or is it?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page