HTPC & TV Input Frequency & Ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. First thread here. I apologize if this topic has been covered previously, but I couldn't find it. I am building a new HT rig complete with the Steiger Dynamics LEET Reference, Yamaha RX V773WA, Aperion Audio INTIMUS 5T HYBRID HD, Yamaha YAS-101BL Front Surround System, Samsung BD F7500 BluRay Player and most importantly, the Samsung UN65F8000. My questions are mainly to do with the choice to go with one or two nVidia Titan/s. Depending on the game, I want to play it in Full HD 3D. I was wondering if the TV would up convert the Frame Rate, or would it be dependent on the Graphic Card Frame Rate Outpu, as the TV is 120Hz, and the HTPC might not be able to output that much, especially with a single Titan.
Also, any comments on the quality and reliability of setup would be highly appreciated. Any advice for additions or changes to my rig would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The HDMI spec is still the limiting factor here. You can do 2D 1080p at 60hz. Alternatively you can run 1080p at 24 or 30hz 3D, but the framerate is so low as to be really juddery and unacceptable for gaming. The preferred option, and the best you can do for 3D gaming on current TVs is 720p 60hz. In effect you need to be able to render 720p at 120fps, with some nice anitaliasing so that it doesn't look lower resolution. Now that the industry is moving to shader-based AA, this is actually pretty cheap to do in GPU processing terms.

As a point of reference, 720p/60 3D is really easy to do at a solid 60fps in Metro: Last Light on my $180 GTX 660. A Titan will give you Very High settings instead of Medium, but the framerate and resolution are the same when it comes to spitting out to a current HDTV. It just has nicer looking lighting and more complex tesselation on the $1000 card.

Get a board that supports two PCIE x16 slots. Put a single Titan/780 in there. Drop in a second one later if you find it to be unacceptable.