Radeon HD5450 won't run on 250W PSU? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My graphics card died not too long ago,it was an Nvidia GF8400GS, Capacitors blew on it. So I thought no big deal,just buy a new new PCI -X card right?
My pc is older, it's an HP Pavilion a720n, 1.8ghz CPU with 3GB of ram and it came with a 250w power supply. I don't need any more power and speed for what I do.
I have tried 2 different cards so far, the first was an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP) . I could not get a display out of it, assumed it was defective.
The second is a Radeon HD5450. I followed the directions and disabled on the on-board video driver, still no display. So I call Radeon tech. and he says any new card needs 400W to run?
Really?
All I want is to run 2 monitors for document manipulation. Is it really true that no one makes a graphics card anymore that will run off of 250 fricking watts? : (

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did miss one thing " install the most recent drivers for your motherboard" . Mine is an Asus P5LPE and there are drivers available from 2008. Could this be causing problems with the new graphics card?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60363-1

post #3 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
PCIe slots are speced for 75w of power supplied to them. Any video card without an external power plug, like your 5450s, should run on 75w or less.

You either have a dead slot, or a bios setting that is defaulting to onboard video while not allowing for external video. Given that one card died and two new cards now won't power up, I'd lean toward the first guess.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey thanks for replying. On the Radeon box it says the 5450 uses less than 20W full draw,so their tech was totally full of shiola. Why even have tech support if they're going ot just spew random nonsense just to get rid of you?
My first card Nvidia card died after 5 years,so I think the slot is probably ok.
With either of the new cards, I just had a black screen but PC seemed to partially power up with fans running. A quick search using either the pc name, HP a1720n , or P5LP-LE which is the Asus OEM'd mobo + "graphics card" shows a whole bunch of people had this same problem. One poor slob even replaced his PS thinking it needed more power.
The general conclusion amongst folks is It's a BIOS compatibility issue. So it looks like I just need ot find an older card. What a fricking nightmare, all I want to do is to run 2 monitors : (

post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Try clearing CMOS and restarting PC with new card installed and monitor connected to add in card.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Passive-Graphics-512-P3-1301-KR/dp/B004KABG1S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370472202&sr=8-3&keywords=8400gs
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hmmm,clearing CMOS. Not sure what that is,but if it involves the clearing the BIOS on mobo then it's well beyond me. I looked the Radeon website and despite the graphics card box which says " consumes less than 20 watts at max draw " the web-site does recommend a 400W PSU minimum. So i ordered a 500 watt corsair CX500 today. I'll report back

post #7 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Very easy to do. Takes a few minutes at most.

Look carefully at the main board. You should see a small jumper labeled "Clr Clk " with three pins or something close to it. Move the jumper over to the left or right and wait 5 seconds and then move back to original location. This will reset the CMOS and perhaps allow new card to boot.

general idea:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

Clear the CMOS Using the Motherboard Jumper

Another way to clear the CMOS is to short the "CLEAR CMOS" jumper on your motherboard, assuming you have one (most motherboards do).
Open your computer and look around your motherboard for a jumper labeled like this. These jumpers are usually located near the BIOS chip itself or near the CMOS battery.
Clear the CMOS by Reseating the CMOS Battery

Yet another way to clear the CMOS is to reseat the CMOS battery. By removing and then reinstalling the CMOS battery, you remove the source of power that saves your computer's BIOS settings.
If you can't access BIOS and also can't locate the clear CMOS jumper, clearing the CMOS this way should do the trick.

On a happier note: I also drive a Challenger and have 55 mph ebike!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

hmmm,clearing CMOS. Not sure what that is,but if it involves the clearing the BIOS on mobo then it's well beyond me. I looked the Radeon website and despite the graphics card box which says " consumes less than 20 watts at max draw " the web-site does recommend a 400W PSU minimum. So i ordered a 500 watt corsair CX500 today. I'll report back

I do not think it is a power supply issue. Startup is a lot less power than gaming. It still should boot to display. It may freeze under load but it still should boot with a 250 watt psu.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think something on the motherboard fried when the old card died.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Very easy to do. Takes a few minutes at most.
Look carefully at the main board. You should see a small jumper labeled "Clr Clk " with three pins or something close to it. Move the jumper over to the left or right and wait 5 seconds and then move back to original location. This will reset the CMOS and perhaps allow new card to boot.
general idea:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

Clear the CMOS Using the Motherboard Jumper
On a happier note: I also drive a Challenger and have 55 mph ebike!
well i can move a jumper, that's no problem. Any chance it might brick the mobo?
My Challenger is going for sale, I think you need another one smile.gif I have hit 57mph on my road-bike, screaming down a mountain. It was exciting but I realized orphaning my kids wasn't cool so I don't do that anymore. If I could pedal 55mph fast on the flats I would be world champion. How far does your ebike go on a charge?

lespurgeon, someone brought me an old card which also had bulging capacitors(we generate mountains of computer waste at work). I replaced those and the card worked ok on the DVI port, VGA port though had a heavy blue/green tint that was un-watchable. I think when those caps swell out it damages the card,

Shameless plug FOR SALE

post #11 of 15 Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

well i can move a jumper, that's no problem. Any chance it might brick the mobo?
My Challenger is going for sale, I think you need another one smile.gif I have hit 57mph on my road-bike, screaming down a mountain. It was exciting but I realized orphaning my kids wasn't cool so I don't do that anymore. If I could pedal 55mph fast on the flats I would be world champion. How far does your ebike go on a charge?

lespurgeon, someone brought me an old card which also had bulging capacitors(we generate mountains of computer waste at work). I replaced those and the card worked ok on the DVI port, VGA port though had a heavy blue/green tint that was un-watchable. I think when those caps swell out it damages the card,

Shameless plug FOR SALE

No damage can be done by clearing CMOS.

Awesome Challanger.smile.gif What motor.... legendary 426 Hemi?eek.gif I have an SRT8

Ebike :
40 mile range @ 30 mph
20 mile range @ 55.mph
post #12 of 15 Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no Hemi, I wish though, it would really add to the value of the car. As it stands though the 426 engine alone is $15K, and it was only a little cheaper 13 years ago when they re-released it. Mine has a 400 magum, forged crank. Add a 440 crank and special pistons and you get something like 451 cubes.

The new ones are cool, air conditioning, fuel injection, air bags, modern seat belts, 6 speed tranny's, and windows that don't whistle at 80mph biggrin.gif It's an interesting car though, chassis from Canada, Transmission from Germany, the engines are built in Saltillo, Mexico AFAIK, and Chrysler is owned by Fiat.
Who'd a thought this would come to pass when these things first rolled off the line in Detroit 40 years ago ?

post #13 of 15 Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What if it was the rail on your PSU that died and not your old video card?

post #14 of 15 Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

so to wrap this thread up
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

I do not think it is a power supply issue. Startup is a lot less power than gaming. It still should boot to display. It may freeze under load but it still should boot with a 250 watt psu.
you are correct, a 500w power supply did NOT fix this issue, at least I was able to confirm that radeon tech support is useless. The Corsair CX500 is whisper quite though,so for 50. bucks not bad upgrade.
There was nothing "fried" on the mobo either,it's a BIOS issue. I found an older GEForce 210 card with dual DVI outputs. New old stock on flea bay for 30 bucks delivered, Works perfectly, yay smile.gif

post #15 of 15 Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Good for you. I never liked ATI video cards. I always had good luck with Nvidia.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page