Audio help with games and windows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cross-posted this thread from the HTPC sub-forum. I made a thread 3 days ago and over 100 views with no responses(guess they're stumped too). I figure the fellow gamers of this sub-forum would have an idea.

My specs first I guess for my media PC

A10-5700 3.4ghz
Integrated Radeon HD 7660D
12gigs ram
25TB various size drives
Using AMD high Definition Audio Device through HDMI (Realtek audio disabled in BIOS)
Connected using HDMI to Denon AVR790
Windows 8 64bit
XBMC Frodo 12.1
55LM6200 TV

In XBMC I get full digital audio. DTS-MA, DD-HD, all the audio works flawless. Its set to WASABI.

In metro Netflix I only get PLII and same with all of my games (steam or otherwise). If I set windows to 5.1 under playback/configure in windows, all I get is the subwoofer and XBMC/Netflix switches the AVR to Multichannel. I am stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiSLine View Post

I cross-posted this thread from the HTPC sub-forum. I made a thread 3 days ago and over 100 views with no responses(guess they're stumped too). I figure the fellow gamers of this sub-forum would have an idea.

My specs first I guess for my media PC

A10-5700 3.4ghz
Integrated Radeon HD 7660D
12gigs ram
25TB various size drives
Using AMD high Definition Audio Device through HDMI (Realtek audio disabled in BIOS)
Connected using HDMI to Denon AVR790
Windows 8 64bit
XBMC Frodo 12.1
55LM6200 TV

In XBMC I get full digital audio. DTS-MA, DD-HD, all the audio works flawless. Its set to WASABI.

In metro Netflix I only get PLII and same with all of my games (steam or otherwise). If I set windows to 5.1 under playback/configure in windows, all I get is the subwoofer and XBMC/Netflix switches the AVR to Multichannel. I am stumped.

This is correct. Games, while they may show "Dolby Digital" or some other format on their cases, will never(well, most likely won't) send that to your AVR. You are still receiving the full 5.1 audio that you should be, it sounds the same, but it just doensn't show the logo on the front of your receiver.

XBMC will send the DTS-MA and DD-HD audio. Whereas games are sending are sending PCM audio.

It's simply a matter of what you're letting uncompress the audio. If you're watching a movie from XMBC and notice the receiver is showing "DTS-HD" audio, then that means the file you're watching is sending compressed audio to your receiver, to allow your receiver to uncompress it. If you're playing a game, set it to 5.1 output, and see the receiver show "Multichannel" then the game and your PC are sending the already uncompressed audio track to your receiver.

Are you saying that you only have subwoofer output when you set your HDMI output to be 5.1?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Are you saying that you only have subwoofer output when you set your HDMI output to be 5.1?

Thanks for your help.

When I set windows audio to 5.1(clicking on the speaker in the taskbar and selecting configure for the audio device win windows), and run the audio test I only get the sub. I can only select stereo for speaker configuration. I find it very odd. I even select movies in Netflix(metro) that are 5.1 audio.

I just tried to disable full dynamic range in windows and it seems to have fixed it. I find that odd that I got no sound with that enabled.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

When I set windows audio to 5.1(clicking on the speaker in the taskbar and selecting configure for the audio device win windows), and run the audio test I only get the sub. I can only select stereo for speaker configuration. I find it very odd. I even select movies in Netflix(metro) that are 5.1 audio.

I just tried to disable full dynamic range in windows and it seems to have fixed it. I find that odd that I got no sound with that enabled.

Ok. So when you try to configure your AMD HDMI audio output, the only option that shows up is Stereo? And disable full dynamic range now lets you select 5.1 or 7.1 output?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Ok. So when you try to configure your AMD HDMI audio output, the only option that shows up is Stereo? And disable full dynamic range now lets you select 5.1 or 7.1 output?

Yes. Under audio properties and configure for speakers. When I had it set to stereo everything was fine, except no surround in games or Netflix. When I set it to Quad, 5.1, or 7.1, all I got was the subwoofer. Now, when selecting and testing speaker configurations, windows asks if they're full dynamic range or not. By default, it is enabled. I disabled the feature, since I have a separate powered sub. Now it magically works. I can't explain it.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just did some more digging. With it set like I said above. Only Games with digital audio and movies in Netflix and Wintv that are 5.1 have sound from other than just the sub.

I have no sound in windows or anything that's not 5.1. I am damned if I don't and damned if I do. I just started borderlands 2 and all I her is the sub. This sucks. Yet Skyrim gave 5.1 perfectly
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Liked: 93
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Have you updated your video card drivers, which include the AMD HDMI audio driver, or are you using the drivers that Windows 8 installed by default? That would be my first guess as to what is wrong here.

What you should end up seeing on your AVR is Mutlichannel PCM in from the PC, in either 5.1 or 7.1, depending on what you set Windows to output. This should of course also give you more audio than just the sub. smile.gif You may also need to reset your AVR to factory defaults and set it up again. It may be a problem on the AVR end.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Have you updated your video card drivers, which include the AMD HDMI audio driver, or are you using the drivers that Windows 8 installed by default? That would be my first guess as to what is wrong here.

What you should end up seeing on your AVR is Mutlichannel PCM in from the PC, in either 5.1 or 7.1, depending on what you set Windows to output. This should of course also give you more audio than just the sub. smile.gif You may also need to reset your AVR to factory defaults and set it up again. It may be a problem on the AVR end.

I think your suggestion just may have fixed my problem. I had been using windows update to replace my video drivers. Out of laziness. I never used to in the past. I replaced my drivers and it looks like its all smooth sailing.

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think your suggestion just may have fixed my problem. I had been using windows update to replace my video drivers. Out of laziness. I never used to in the past. I replaced my drivers and it looks like its all smooth sailing.

Thank you very much for your help.

Good deal. I know AMD drivers can get a bit finicky when you don't update them regularly.