Questions about PC gaming in 3D and using my TV as the monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the correct section; if not, I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to where I need to go. Thanks! Anyway, I haven't had a gaming PC in about a decade as I had been playing on consoles. Since I'm not too excited for either the PS4 or Xbox One at the moment, I thought I might get back into PC gaming. Ideally, I would like to be able to play games in 3D using my TV (Samsung UND8000) as the monitor, as I already have the glasses. Since I've been out of the loop for quite a while, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the latest PC tech, and would like some help. In my limited research, it looks like NVIDIA supports 3D, but you need to use their glasses (and maybe monitor), which I don't want to do. Does anyone know what graphics cards would support 3D that I could output to my TV via HDMI (or any other way that would work)? Sorry for my extreme ignorance on the subject... Also, what sort of overall specs would I need to be looking at to run games in 1080p 3D at pretty high graphical settings (with a decent frame rate)? I would like to stay under $2000 (less is always better, I suppose), but I'd be willing to go up to $2500 if I had to. Also, I'd prefer to buy one versus building one (I know, I know...), but I don't even know who sells good gaming PCs nowadays. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, for those that use their TV as a monitor, how well does it work, and do you have any issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM

Liked: 93
I'll be back to help you out when I'm not on this iPad keyboard. The answer will be a bit longer than I'd like to type on this. smile.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 AM

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

If you want to do 3D, then stick with Nvidia cards. They have much more robust 3D support than the AMD equivalents. Just budget for the extra $40 in software to get it working on your 3D TV with the glasses you already have. Any of the current Nvidia cards will support the 3D output, but you only really get enough oomph to do it pleasantly once you get in the the $150-200 GTX 650 Ti Boost or GTX 660 range. More money buys you prettier graphics, but 60fps game play is still pretty easily achievable at this level.

HDMI is a restricting factor here. 3D over HDMI only supports 1080p at 30hz max, while you can get 60hz output at 720p. For 3D rendering, 720p/60 with some antialiasing thrown on it provides a much smoother and more enjoyable experience than the higher resolution, but slower, 1080p/30.

As for TVs as a monitor? They suck. Windows isn't built for the 10-foot living room experience. The keyboard and mouse is painful to use on the couch. Steam is cumbersome to use at a distance. Once you are actually in a game the experience is great and can not be matched anywhere else. Getting in to the game is a kludge at best. If you are trying to web-browse from your couch with your giant TV, then you are doing life wrong. wink.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! It's nice to see that the Nvidia cards do allow you to use your own equipment as that certainly opens up more options. Is there a better option than HDMI for 3D output to a TV? My TV has a ton of inputs, so if there's something better, it shouldn't be a problem. Any advice on what should I be looking for in terms of specs for the rest of the computer?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do native 3d games not work with an Nvidia card without buying the software?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Yes. Without 3DTV Play installed, the 3D option in the handful of games that offer it natively does not function. With 3DTV Play, you can also force 3D upon games that were not explicitly designed for 3D, with varying levels of success. It's cool when it works, but it is also fiddly and inelegant.

HDMI is the best hookup option available. Trust me, it's fine. 1080p/60 for 2D gaming and 720p/60 for 3D gaming works great. Because your horizontal pixels don't line up eye-to-eye, it actually feels perceptually closer to 1920x720, rather than 1280x720.

As for other specs? Look for an i5 3570 on the Intel side, or an FX-8350 on the AMD side. Four cores is the minimum you want, at 3.3ghz Intel or 4.0ghz AMD. More is better, but that should be your base target. 8GB ram is the minimum, with a heavy preference for 16GB. Otherwise, you just need a system that is physically long enough to support today's long video cards, and a quality 500W power supply to drive the hungry video card. Or at least budget in another $80 to rip out the stock power supply so you can add your own. It is also really nice if your boot drive is solid state. There is a very nice responsiveness improvement that comes with that. Then have a platter drive or two for your Steam library. Or just budget for a single 500GB SSD.

Building your own lets you pick the case that you specifically want, which is a big thing for the living room. I use this one myself, which fits very nicely in next to my receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-GD05B-USB3-0-Aluminum-Computer/dp/B008J0ZOV8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good, thanks again for the info!
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page