please recommend monitor and power supply - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Doing my first build. Probably going with i5 4670 and am torn between the gtx780 or dual gtx 770's sli. I have a huge case and need a recommendation for power supply and monitor. I have been looking at the high res 27 nch screen from Monoprice and wondering if anybody has used them. As far as power supplies, there are so many options and I don't even know where to start. noise shouldn't be an issue because it will be in an adjacent room. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

Doing my first build. Probably going with i5 4670 and am torn between the gtx780 or dual gtx 770's sli. I have a huge case and need a recommendation for power supply and monitor. I have been looking at the high res 27 nch screen from Monoprice and wondering if anybody has used them. As far as power supplies, there are so many options and I don't even know where to start. noise shouldn't be an issue because it will be in an adjacent room. Thanks

The single 780 is a powerful GPU and can handle most things you throw at it these days. If you are going beyond 1080p, dual 770s should be a nice bit more power for the games that support SLI, but I don't know if it's enough to justify the cost based on today's gaming. In other words, you are probably loosing bang-for-buck with SLI. Many AVSers recommend sticking with a single card until it's out of date, and replace with a modern card instead of going SLI for bang-for-buck.

Power supply - go for a good name-brand one (Corsair, Seasonic or Antec) that stresses efficiency - consider the "80 Plus" certification. Also, modular is nice to keep it free from unused cables. It sounds like you might do SLI now or down the road, so consider getting one that is SLI certified. Figure out how much power your rig is going to use and go above that - here's a wattage calulator. A quality PS should last you through multiple builds.

I use a TV as my monitor, so someone else should have good PC monitor suggestions.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The single 780 is a powerful GPU and can handle most things you throw at it these days. If you are going beyond 1080p, dual 770s should be a nice bit more power for the games that support SLI, but I don't know if it's enough to justify the cost based on today's gaming. In other words, you are probably loosing bang-for-buck with SLI. Many AVSers recommend sticking with a single card until it's out of date, and replace with a modern card instead of going SLI for bang-for-buck.

Thanks for the tip!

Power supply - go for a good name-brand one (Corsair, Seasonic or Antec) that stresses efficiency - consider the "80 Plus" certification. Also, modular is nice to keep it free from unused cables. It sounds like you might do SLI now or down the road, so consider getting one that is SLI certified. Figure out how much power your rig is going to use and go above that - here's a wattage calulator. A quality PS should last you through multiple builds.

I use a TV as my monitor, so someone else should have good PC monitor suggestions.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If it were me, I would do 4GB 770's in SLI, specifically, the Gigabyte for $450, with the Corsair HX850 for a psu. The Monoprice monitors are nice, and at 2560x1440 you could definitely use a lot of GPU, especially in recently launched games, ie, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Metro LL, etc....
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks tony
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page