Review of the Seiki 39" 4K display - SE39UY04 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Below is a link to a review of the newly released Seiki 39" Ultra-HD / 4K television. The review looks at the features, use as a computer monitor as well as a TV. The display is excellent as a 39" computer monitor even though max Vsync is 30Hz at 4K resolution. Games such as iRacing look very good with good visual quality and 4K videos look very impressive. The display is excellent for productivity apps.

http://www.terracode.com/Seiki_SE39UY04_review/Seiki_SE39UY04_review_P1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I received questions about the 120hz capability of the SE39UY04 and why the TV is reporting 60Hz for some folks when the computer is stating 120Hz. . I spoke with a Seiki tech support person. He stated that the display when connected to a computer and the computer is outputing Vsync at 120Hz, the TV will be displaying at 120hz. The issue is that the on-screen display will only show 60hz for frequencies between 60 and less than 120Hz. In cases where the refresh is pushed above 120Hz, it will report 120hz. He mentioned that some manufactuers don't display Vsync on the on-screen info display for this reason.

Edit:
I updated the review with data using BlurBusters widget to check for dropped frames. The set and computer are reporting 120hz and BlurBusters frame-rate tool is reporting 105 FPS with Vsync.
post #3 of 66 Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Liked: 12
I am thinking of buying the seiki 39 as a computer monitor (linux) instead of a 30" 2560x1600 IPS display.

is the display matte or glossy?

is it good enough as a work computer monitor (browsing, textwoork, OS)?

are the viewing angles good or bad?

do we know what kind of panel this is? TN? IPS? Igzo? (latter almost surely not.)

any other observations for use in staring at relatively static images on it for hours?

/iaw
post #4 of 66 Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just wait for the Asus 39-inch monitor. It will be a significantly better buy for your money.
post #5 of 66 Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM

ahmmm...what if I want to buy one now?

is there an asus 39" release date?
post #6 of 66 Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

ahmmm...what if I want to buy one now?

is there an asus 39" release date?

No release date but it's supposed to come out after the 1st of year sometime.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 66 Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

I am thinking of buying the seiki 39 as a computer monitor (linux) instead of a 30" 2560x1600 IPS display.

is the display matte or glossy?

is it good enough as a work computer monitor (browsing, textwoork, OS)?

are the viewing angles good or bad?

do we know what kind of panel this is? TN? IPS? Igzo? (latter almost surely not.)

any other observations for use in staring at relatively static images on it for hours?

/iaw

I would say its mostly glossy but not 100% glossy.

It works great as a computer monitor IMHO. 30hz is fine for browsing, video text/work, programming, etc...

Viewing angles are very good.

Panel is S-MVA. Deeper blacks than IPS almost as good viewing angles.

I haven't had any problems with burnin.

Only thing I have been disappointed about is the panel is only updating at 60Hz at lower resolutions even if its getting a 120Hz or 240Hz signal. The 50 inch will display 120Hz but the 39 inch does not. The TV says its doing 120Hz but it unfortunately is not actually doing it.

I am also running linux but honestly your probably not gonna have a good experience unless your running it off a nvidia kepler based system (gtx 600 series). The driver support isn't there for intel or AMD (from my testing) and only the 600 series are supported by nvidia on the 319.23 drivers and above (requires some modevalidation over-rides to get it working).

My linux system with my seiki:

dual_gtx_650_1-small.jpg

The 22 inch 4k display on the left is being driven via 4x single link DVI off a second gtx 650 ti boost (running two cards in the system). Here is what the cable situation looks like:

dual_gtx_650_2-small.jpg

Using an HDMI -> DVI cable and active DP -> DVI adapter to give the vp2290b 4 inputs. Using XGL to get composite stuff working over multi-GPU.
post #8 of 66 Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM

terra, are you able to PiP with this? With the resolution, watching a TV feed from the coaxial in a window while working seems like it would actually fit well on this as a monitor.
post #9 of 66 Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious View Post

Only thing I have been disappointed about is the panel is only updating at 60Hz at lower resolutions even if its getting a 120Hz or 240Hz signal. The 50 inch will display 120Hz but the 39 inch does not. The TV says its doing 120Hz but it unfortunately is not actually doing it.

So this display definitely doesn't do 1080p at 120hz even though the display on the TV says it's 120hz? Is this a bug that could be fixed?
post #10 of 66 Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

terra, are you able to PiP with this? With the resolution, watching a TV feed from the coaxial in a window while working seems like it would actually fit well on this as a monitor.

I didn't see a way of PIP. It would be nice to be able to watrch TV and use it with a computer. It also would have been nice if it a QAM digital TV tuner and not just OTA, but guess the minimalist features is what kept the price down.

There is a long thread on another forum that discusses the issue people are reporting about not being able to do up to 120Hz at 1080P. One of the posters mentioned that he spoke with a Seiki rep who said a firmware update is forthcoming to fix the issue. The TV reports 120Hz and the computer reports 120Hz, but the set may not be doing 120Hz.
post #11 of 66 Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that if the monitor can display true 120hz at 1080p I can use it with Nvidia 3D vision. I really don't care about the 4K feature. As long works and looks nice at 1080p I'm happy.
post #12 of 66 Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Yes the TV says 1920x1080 @ 120Hz on the OSD when you hit the info button but its dropping every other refresh. Seiki says they will fix it with a firmware update but don't have an ETA right now.

That being said the scaler isnt the best thing in the world. I don't think i would care much for gaming but the scaler would annoy me for everyday for evrything else I think. The 50 inch will do 120Hz. For nvidia 3d Vision arent there more requirements than just it being 120Hz?
post #13 of 66 Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 109

Plays nice and smooth in BF3,

James Reid:D
post #14 of 66 Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Plays nice and smooth in BF3,

Ok so I took a picture of the UFO test and sure enough there is frame skipping. Dang oh well looking forward to the fix because it still looks great as is.

post #15 of 66 Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 AM

Has the firmware update been released? This seems like the only affordable TV you can get right now, IPS displays have refresh rates that are to low and LED monitors that do have a high refresh rate do not look as great as IPS. As a gamer who often plays FPS, I am interested in this television because of the refresh rate.

Would you beable to play games at

2560x1600 resolutions or 1920x1200 resolutions and it would still look good? All at a 120hz refresh rate of course.

post #16 of 66 Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM

it would make for a terrible gaming monitor. it's one big advantage is 4k mode. even mouse movements tear on 4k, so fast movements are out. for everything else, as a 39" 4k monitor, it's great though. very sharp...and I cannot tell that this is not IPS, so the panel is great. if you want to game, get another cheap monitor instead that starts out lower res.

/iaw
post #17 of 66 Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrinus101 View Post

Has the firmware update been released? This seems like the only affordable TV you can get right now, IPS displays have refresh rates that are to low and LED monitors that do have a high refresh rate do not look as great as IPS. As a gamer who often plays FPS, I am interested in this television because of the refresh rate.

Would you beable to play games at
2560x1600 resolutions or 1920x1200 resolutions and it would still look good? All at a 120hz refresh rate of course.

Seiki seems to be backing away from this product as they are prepping a new line of 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0. Next year, Asus will release their 39-inch 4K monitor with HDMI 2.0 and improved DisplayPort for 4K connectivity.
post #18 of 66 Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Just to be clear, one is supposed to take a picture of www.testufo.com/frameskipping instead of that "Eye Tracking" test -- but I think you figured it out towards the end according to your followup. An example valid photo of a good display and an example of a valid photo of a frameskipping display ... The green "VALID" is only for the validity of the animation itself -- it's just a self check for browser rendering accuracy and thus accuracy of the photo -- not whether or not the display is frameskipping.

Example Good Display Below:

Example Frame Skipping Display Below:

Unfortunately, the SEIKI 39" display frame skips at above 60Hz. The 50" model does 120Hz properly at 1080p, though. As of right now, on HardForum there is talk that SEIKI is doing a new firmware for the 39" SEIKI 4K to give it proper true 120Hz support (like for the 50" model which can do true 120Hz at 1920x1080p)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #19 of 66 Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post

Just to be clear, one is supposed to take a picture of www.testufo.com/frameskipping instead of that "Eye Tracking" test -- but I think you figured it out towards the end according to your followup. An example valid photo of a good display and an example of a valid photo of a frameskipping display ... The green "VALID" is only for the validity of the animation itself -- it's just a self check for browser rendering accuracy and thus accuracy of the photo -- not whether or not the display is frameskipping.

Example Good Display Below:

Example Frame Skipping Display Below:

Unfortunately, the SEIKI 39" display frame skips at above 60Hz. The 50" model does 120Hz properly at 1080p, though. As of right now, on HardForum there is talk that SEIKI is doing a new firmware for the 39" SEIKI 4K to give it proper true 120Hz support (like for the 50" model which can do true 120Hz at 1920x1080p)

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry if I caused any confusion. There is an update for the 39in model. It adds the back light and advanced color management function to the main menu. It does not fix the 120hz issue. Stili very happy with this.I find it very smooth for gaming at 1080p. I really hope they fix the 120hz issue, because I think this is a beautiful monitor.

post #20 of 66 Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Hello.

I just received my Seiki Digital SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV from Amazon and I'm having troubles getting 4k resolution. I'm using the HDMI cable that came with.

I have Windows 8.1.
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications (Here it says it supports 4k). Also here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html (under
Screenshot computer specs: http://oi40.tinypic.com/33ynako.jpg
Screenshot NVIDIA Control Panel: http://oi39.tinypic.com/6dsp6f.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFkdWHfb1kM
The guys in this video gets the 4k-resulution directly when they connect the HDMI 4.1 that came in the box. I checked the settings but I can't find anything.

So please help me, and don't say I cant get 4k because of my graphics card et.c. would get very sad because I really want the 4k-resolution. In that case - worst case scenario, how easy is it go get a new graphics card that supports 4k installed in my laptop?

http://www.terracode.com/Seiki_SE39UY04_review/Seiki_SE39UY04_review_P1.html
When I check this review and see the http://www.terracode.com/Seiki_SE39UY04_review/images/1080P_120Hz_Setting.jpg (look further up for my own settings) it seems like I can't even access the settings for using the 4k-resolution.

Do I need to download new drivers for my graphic card or something like that?

Please help, I really want this to work!

post #21 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Your laptop should be able to do it. My macbook pro retina has a geforce gt 650m and it works without issues. Also the macbook is only dp 1.1 when most other gt 600 series mobile cards are dp 1.2.

The cable the seiki's come with have been known to have issues so first things first try another cable.

Try setting a custom resolution like on this in the nvidia panel:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/411/customresolution.jpg

Use these timings:

Manual timings:

Horizontal desktop pixels: 3840 Vertical desktop lines: 2160

Horizontal front porch: 176
Active Horizontal pixels: 3840
Horizontal Total: 4400
horizontal sync width: 88
(or instead of total if listed horizontal, back porch 296)

Vertical front porch: 8
Active Vertical pixels: 2160
Vertical Total: 2250
Vertical sync width: 10
(or instead of total if listed horizontal, back porch 72)

Pixelclock 296.7 (or put the hz at 30 and move it around until you get that pixelclock.

Got these values from EDID data on seiki's 50 inch.

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B086B-008B-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00ESFEUSG/ref=pd_sim_e_1

If those don't work and your laptop has display port than this adapter will likely run it for you no problem:
post #22 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 AM

I have used it now for about a month. the macbook pro retina 15" indeed displays 4k resolutions immediately---no tinkering needed. linux needed X config file tinkering, but also worked. I am using it as a computer monitor for browsing and word processing 80% of the time (not color sensitive!) and as a TV for watching news 20% of the time. I do not use it as anything videophile or gaming. I was worried, but screen refresh at 30Hz rather than 60Hz is not a problem. I also read somewhere that it is a B-grade panel. that may well be true, but it does not impact my use. the pixels are indistinguishable at ordinary computer use distances. there were no bad pixels that I could see.

the primary problem is more that the display is glare, not anti-glare. this makes it worse than my non-dual-purpose(!) smaller(!) 30-inch 2560x1600 computer monitor for my purposes. the secondary problem is that for some reason, some colors (blue) on some computer displays look much more garish on the monitor than they look on my macbook. this can probably be fixed with some display calibration, but I have not invested the time.

for the $600 or so that it costs for a 39" monitor (with dual purpose), it really is a steal. I would have paid another $200 for the anti-glare immediately. however, in a year, when there will be affordable 4k computer monitors that are anti-glare (and 60Hz), it won't be so good any longer. if it will be a dual-use monitor, I will probably replace this one.
post #23 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the answers guys, really appreciate you talking the time.

Well, If you looked into my screenshot with the NVIDIA Settings ( http://oi39.tinypic.com/6dsp6f.jpg ) that I posted in my first post.

You can clearly see that I'm not even available to even enter the settings that you'r tealking about. So I think something is deffinetly wrong with my driver software?

I could try using another HDMI-cable, but I'm afraid I only have old HDMI-cables, or does it really make a difference? I have to my PS3, some year old cables.

And the adapter you linked me, I don't even have a DisplayPort on my laptop. It's a Acer Aspire V3-771.

I posted on another swedish tech forum, and it seems the laptop is only managin from the Intel Graphics, and not directly to my NVIDIA graphic card.

So I obviously need a ton of help if I'm ever gonna get this 4k-resolution. Please help!

post #24 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the answers guys, really appreciate you taking the time!

Xevious>>> Please go back to my first post, cuz I don't seem to "You do not currently have permission to publish offsite links or images. Your submission will be sent to our moderator team for approval. Thank you for your patience."

Where my NVIDIA screenshot settings are displayed, you can clearly see that I'm not even available to enter those NVIDIA settings, only the 3D settings for some stupid reason.

It seems that my laptop only "uses" the Intel graphics and not my NVIDIA, and that has to be a huge part of the problme right?

I could try using another HDMI-cable, alltough I'm afraid I dont have any HDMI 1.4 cables, just old ones for PS3/etc. Or does it matter?

And the adapter you linked, I don't have a DisplayPort om my laptop. Acer Aspire V3-771 is the name and model number, barely 8 months old.

post #25 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 05:24 PM

THe nvidia control panel should have ana dvanced section that can be enabled in one of the menu's so you can see more settings. If that is not there and you are using the acer specific drivers then you may want to try downloading the generic ones from somewhee like laptopvideo2go.com and see if those work better.
post #26 of 66 Old 12-14-2013, 09:54 PM

I tried two other HDMI cabels, and no improvement there so it's obviously not a cable problem.

Tried lots of drivers both on that site and on NVIDIA's offical. No improvement.

Plz help, I don't know what to do!

post #27 of 66 Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry that I can't help with your exact problem, but I can confirm that it works great for me at 4k on my Win7 machine with an nvidia GTX760 video card. Maybe there is something specific to your laptop (more precisely, acer's implementation of the 650M in your laptop) preventing it from working.

Do you have another 4k-capable source to test?
post #28 of 66 Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 AM

How do I know if I have the latest firmware for my SE39UY04?  I went to the Seiki site and downloaded the 2 different ones.  Both are zip files.  I tried to load both by doing the steps they state and no flashing red light.  I also tried to unzip each one and try with no luck.  After unzipping, the file was a .img not a .bin like all the others.  I even tried to rename it to .bin... No Luck either. Could someone help me with this.  I checked the TV menu but nothing shows the firmware to know if I need to update it.

Thanks

post #29 of 66 Old 12-28-2013, 11:44 AM

@Davteks You want to unzip and leave the .img (it mounts as an .img and flashes...do not rename).

Also, make sure that you are using a freshly formatted fat32 usb stick.  

Plug in the the stick and power on the montior.

On the remote:  press "menu", then "0 0 0 0".  This will bring up the service menu

From there you can navigate and push the firmware update.

post #30 of 66 Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 PM

P0ser,

Thanks for the info.  I DID need the update... Wish this info was on Seiki's website.  It would have saved me a few hrs tinkering with trying to get the update to work...

Thanks again,

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page