Let's build a solid Gaming HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While this will not be my first build (Several PCs, current HTPC, Unraid server), it will be my first oriented to gaming. I'm going to retire the currect HTPC to the bedroom and put together a build that hopefully will offer a somewhat seamless HTPC/Gaming experience.

The usual requirements - XBMC, 1080p playback, OTA HD, Solid FPS on current and future games at 1080, 360 controller compatibililty, Dolphin using factory Wii remotes.

Will most likely not overclock as I want a commerical feel, not worrying about stability.

Case : Need soemthing with a huge wife approval factor right now leaning toward the Wesena e6 or e7 in silver.

CPU i5-4670 (I'm fairly set on this)

MOBO - Need HDMI and optical audio out - also for noise reasons I think I would want the fans to be temp controlled.

RAM - trying to decide between 8GB and 16GB

Storeage - Movies, TV and Music are streamed from the NAS - I assumed it would be unwise to store the PC games OR Wii games there? Having a hard time between SSD HDD or Combo, currently my htpc boots from a 64GB SSD but I know that wouldn't be enough for this setup.

GPU - Leaning heavily toward the GTX 760 - especially the Msi gaming version as it seems to do great in noise tests.

PSU - Need something as silent as possible and I may upgrade the 760 to SLI in the future - I'm thinking between 650-750W to cover that?

Let me know what you guys think. I would like to get this down and then start thinking about controller connectivity and whatnot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 343
First question - not sure why you are concerned about HDMI on your motherboard when you are also getting a GTX 760?

Second question - what fan on the motherboard are you asking about? I'm assuming the CPU cooler? The CPU fan connector on motherboards these days are temp controlled.

I would do Windows on an SSD, games on at least a terabyte standard hard drive. Go bigger if you are a compulsive Steam buyer, and if you aren't sure if you are, plan to be. wink.gif

RAM is cheap, might as well go for 16gigs and be done with it. Some disagree, but you don't seem like you are trying to cut corners.

Power supply - take a gander at this page and go for a tier one if price isn't an issue. For SLI, make sure it's SLI certified - I would guess all the tier ones in the 700+ watt range are.

Lastly, 360 controller compatibility, wired or wireless, is easy. Don't worry about that at all.

That's all I got - others should have good suggestions. Good luck!

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

FIrst, I thought about the HDMI on the way home last night, total brain fart there, no need for HDMI on the board.

Second, I'm refering to the ability to control case fans by the temp reading from the mobo, however I'm guessing that both has to do with the capability of the mobo AND the fan, wether it's a 3 or 4 pin connection? I want to keep it very quiet at idle.

As for the SSD, if i AM intalling these games to a 1TB HDD is there a reason for the SSD in the first palce. As I said right now my htpc has a 64GB SSD, but I'm really not sure if its doing any good as I use my remote to take it in and out of S3, not boot every time. Then is it reasonable to say get a 256GB SSD (really don't want to spend that kind of money on it if I don't have to) and fit all the games on there? I'm not sure as to the average storeage needs of a modern game. Would it also be reasonable to place wii games on the network and not have the need for them to be local?

I have been leaning toward 16GB of RAM, should have bought awhile back, prices seem a good bit higher now.

Again thanks for the response, I've got some experience but always like to let everyone play devils advocate to make sure I'm putting my money in the best spot possible.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrM3 View Post

As for the SSD, if i AM intalling these games to a 1TB HDD is there a reason for the SSD in the first palce. As I said right now my htpc has a 64GB SSD, but I'm really not sure if its doing any good as I use my remote to take it in and out of S3, not boot every time. Then is it reasonable to say get a 256GB SSD (really don't want to spend that kind of money on it if I don't have to) and fit all the games on there? I'm not sure as to the average storeage needs of a modern game. Would it also be reasonable to place wii games on the network and not have the need for them to be local?

The SSD is very beneficial for boot-up and Windows operations, and it helps games load. It's not a huge increase with games, but it helps. If you aren't planing on shutting down and rebooting, skipping the SSD is worth considering.

PC game size can vary widely. Small casual games can be a half gig to a couple gigs, but more commonly games are around 4 to 8 gigs, and bigger games like Borderlands 2 + DLC, the latest Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite are around 10 to 18 gigs. Rage is 23gigs! eek.gif

Some gamers get a medium sized SSD and a large standard hard drive - the inactive games are stored on the hard drive, and using Steam Mover they move the game(s) they are actively playing to the SSD, and move them back to the hard drive when done. Not sure if Steam Mover would work across a NAS, but I suspect not.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I might want to research the steam mover, if its capable of moving from the ssd to the hdd and back again, I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to tell it to move to a maped drive on the server.

Would there be a benefit to booting the system everytime vs S3 sleep?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-27-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrM3 View Post

I might want to research the steam mover, if its capable of moving from the ssd to the hdd and back again, I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to tell it to move to a maped drive on the server.

Would there be a benefit to booting the system everytime vs S3 sleep?

The only thing that comes to mind is a complete shutdown/reboot allows for Windows updates to be installed.

As for Steam Mover on a NAS, I remembered this thread.

post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 15
I just ordered the parts for my new HTPC and went with this case. It comes with a 600W power supply and you can fit a full size GPU in there. I went with GTX770.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I like the BitFenix Prodigy myself.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

THe Prodigy is actually a cool looking case, just doesnt really fit with the look of my HT. Need something with a very commerical HT look. Thats why I like the Wesena, my current htpc is in a Silverstone ml03b.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The only thing that comes to mind is a complete shutdown/reboot allows for Windows updates to be installed.

As for Steam Mover on a NAS, I remembered this thread.

Thought I would respond since my thread was mentioned.

I'm still running my games off of unraid and it works perfectly fine. I launch all of my games through xbmc.

I can run all of my games off of both pc's I just have to run some of the redistributables on the second pc most of the time.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to give you guys an update, everything is together and working great. All PC games with the exception of left 4 dead are isntalled on the NAS, along with all of my roms. Dolphin runs just fine with those files there. Ended up going with a cheaper nmediapc case because it was available now and fit well with the look of the set up. Noise level is good but I do need to disconnect the rear 80mm fans to gague if I am hearing them or the GPU fans.

Wii controllers are working well, I occasionally get a disconnect but Dolphin 4.0 that was just realeased allows for auto scaning to reconnect.

360 controllers also work wonderfully with the wireless dongle.

I am still tweaking a few setting in xbmc but I couldnt be happier. Until I get that bug again, hahahaha.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page