Samsung owners could use advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently upgraded to a Samsung F6400 model lcd from a previous DLP.

I was mucking around tonight trying to get a good picture going for my HTPC which I use entirely for gaming. I have been playing with Input 4 renamed to PC as well as trying it on Input 2 in Game Mode. I'm not sure what's the best picture - kind of what's the least' artificial' looking. Wondering if anyone has tips? Have several questions.

- Read on forums that PC Mode doesn't output 0-255 even when selected, since the Nvidia Control panel only applies it for the Video. Came across a registry hack but haven't messed with that yet. I tried compensating for blacks with using Low Dark adjustment (forget the setting name) but that's only available in I think the Standard mode on PC.

- Speaking of...Entertain and Standard being the only 2 settings in PC mode, which is better? Entertain seemed more vibrant, but I don't know how much I'm losing in terms of color accuracy. (For what it's worth I always end up on Warm 1 in other settings, even though I know this isn't the most accurate, it seems more accurate to my eye).

- Game mode seemed too harsh. Jaggies and colors felt way too overblown. I tried messing with the contrast/backlighting but didn't have enough time tonight. Although I heard Game Mode is more accurate at the expense of auto dimming in darker scenes, which can be overwritten by cranking the brightness up/offsetting the RGB's in the white settings.

- Nvidia Control Panel's setting of RGB vs the other setting (YcBcr?) - which of these is better to choose? I'm connected via HDMI if that makes any difference.

- Do you guys leave sharpness at 50 (which I understand is the equivalent of 0 at other modes)? Or do you take it down notch. Wonder if that was contributing to some jaggies/edge play more than usual.

Kind of feel defeated but it's 4 am lol. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I don't know if this helps any, but I use a 47" Samsung 650a as my primary computer display for gaming, and am very happy with sharpness and colors, and blacks are decent too.

I connect from the PC's Nvidia card to the TV's HDMI2/DVI input via HDMI, and name that source "PC". IIRC, Samsungs have a certain input that's designed for PC viewing, but that input changes model to model - on the 650a its HDMI2. I would bet if one of your HDMI inputs also has the DVI option, that would be the input to use for PC. Doing this turns off some picture processing, and disables a few picture options like sharpness and color tweaking. The picture mode I leave on "Standard", and everything else is pretty much at default. Text looks sharp.

One major change is to go into the Nvidia control panel and under Desktop Color Settings change the Digital color format to YCbCr444 (from RGB). Sometimes this needs to be redone after re-installing a driver.

Good luck!

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the info! I ended up spending most of the evening playing around some more and doing some more online reading. Discovered several things including the fact that nvidia doesn't output the full range of 0-255 unless you override a setting with an app or directly go the registry the 0-255 full setting only applies to video apparently.

I'm currently using game mode which isn't the most accurate but it has more saturation which for gaming works out pretty well. Unfortunately, on my set anything except pc input has micro dimming which can't be disabled so I found out that people get around this by setting the brightness to a level where micro dimming is minimal to non existent, and then offset the white balance rgb values to compensate. I'm really pleased with the picture now although I still need to do some more testing on with the xbox and ps3 running to the same input that's configured for the htpc gaming rig. Definitely learning a lot. smile.gif
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page