In game overscan resolution problem. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have two HD 5870s that drive my HTPC gaming rig to the Living room TV and Home Theatre.
It runs through the receiver to the TV.
In windows 7 Ihave set the desktop overscan to 0% and my LCD is set to just scan, it looks good fills the whole screen and is very responsive to mouse and keyboard movements.
However in certain games such as Crysis2 and Company of Heroes there appears a black boarder around the picture.
Crysis2 worked fine a couple times, but now I can not get it to fill the entire screen.
Also to note that this overscan problem causes the mouse and keyboard movements to lag, and games become unplayable.
Some games like Dirt3 all I have to do is switch the resolution and then switch it back and the screen will fill.
I even went as far as in CCC changing to all resolutions and setting the overscan to 0%.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So if there is a black border around the screen, that is usually an indication that the game is sending a smaller resolution than 1920x1080....and the LCD, being set to "just display whatever resolution I am catching", is displaying it properly. If the boarder is thick, maybe its throwing 1280x720 or something along those lines....at least that's my experience from memory....and probably "Duh, I got that part dude"...I'm just throwing it out there.

Here is one thing you can try, because some of us had issues in the past with the original Crysis not being able to run properly at 60fps at 1920x1080 resolution.....it would drop the frames down to 40 or so max.....and it affected some users. Who knows, can't hurt!

I created a custom resolution of 1916x1080@60hz, and made that my default desktop. Basically you lose 2 rows of pixels on either side of your screen, essentially invisible to the end user. Some games let me choose that resolution from in-game menus, other games I'd have to open an .ini file and manually plug in the resolution I wanted, but it solved a lot of full-screen issues for me. You can also try sending a 1920x1080x59Hz signal instead of 60hz.......and see if that makes things better.

Again, off the cuff, but its two things to try and eliminate if they don't help. PS: Does the problem happen with only 1 card (e.g.: is it a crossfire thing).....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hmmm.. good question I have not tested it without CrossFire. That could possibly be the problem as it doesn't happen in all games.
I have tried setting the desktop resolution to 59HZ @ 1920x1080, but I didn't see the option in game. I will try editing some ini files later today.
Al least something to go on.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page