Bluetooth mouse for HTPC gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi guys

I have (had) a Logitech MX5500 bluetooth mouse and Kb for gaming on my HTPC, but the bluetooth is horrible, the mouse is always spongy feeling and it lags like hell. I ended up getting fed up with the mouse and spiked it off the floor. I need a good mouse, be it wireless, or bluetooth that actually works properly. I tried some craptastic M$ wireless mouse but I had to pull the wireless receiver to within 4 feet of my chair to get it to work. Does ANYBODY make a decent wireless mouse that will work properly? What do you guys use for HTPC use? I will be using it for gaming, and general navigation on the HTPC sitting in a chair about 8-10 feet from the computer. I thought bluetooth was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread for wireless, but this logitech one has been junk.

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I bought the same setup. I found the mouse to be awesome because I could bind all of my spells and abilities for WoW on it (scroll up/down and left and right click on both wheels, plus the other buttons). But you're right, the bluetooth is weak once you get any distance away from the computer. Up close it works just fine. I have a razer mouse and it's much faster.
Slingblayde likes this.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yeah, I have struggled with this in the past and I ended up just running a usb extension and going wired.

It amazes me how flawless my 360 pad wireless is yet even $150+ m/kb's can't do the same.
Slingblayde likes this.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

Yeah, I have struggled with this in the past and I ended up just running a usb extension and going wired.

It amazes me how flawless my 360 pad wireless is yet even $150+ m/kb's can't do the same.

This is exactly what I mean, my PS3 & Xbox360 controllers work perfect, but a M/KB combo that is pretty darn expensive is absolute rubbish. I have to have something for the HTPC mouse and KB, even if its just for navigating the HTPC. My main gaming PC is 3 times the power of the HTPC, I would like to dink around with the odd Steam game once in a while on the big screen but its so frustrating with the logitech I end up ragequitting lol.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I use the G700 gaming mouse from Logitech, performance is flawless. The battery life is something to be desired, however if you use the xxx eneloops you should be good.
The wireless on this is so effective I can control my PC from 35 feet away through 2 walls.
You can use this mouse wired as well. So you can effectively use it on two computers, wired on main PC and wireless on you HTPC.
Right now it is on sale on Amazon.com for $57.

Another alternative is you could use a wireless 360 controller with a wireless PC adapter and the Xpadder application on your HTPC.
With Xpadder you can map any keys and mouse movements to the controller.

I also want to add that if your TV is not in gaming mode you will have mouse lag, it will add a delay to your mouse movements and it will feel spongy.
But I'm sure you were aware of that already.
Slingblayde likes this.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

I use the G700 gaming mouse from Logitech, performance is flawless. The battery life is something to be desired, however if you use the xxx eneloops you should be good.
The wireless on this is so effective I can control my PC from 35 feet away through 2 walls.
You can use this mouse wired as well. So you can effectively use it on two computers, wired on main PC and wireless on you HTPC.
Right now it is on sale on Amazon.com for $57.

Another alternative is you could use a wireless 360 controller with a wireless PC adapter and the Xpadder application on your HTPC.
With Xpadder you can map any keys and mouse movements to the controller.

I also want to add that if your TV is not in gaming mode you will have mouse lag, it will add a delay to your mouse movements and it will feel spongy.
But I'm sure you were aware of that already.

I am actually using it on an Optoma HD33 projector and 120 inch screen, but I never thought to see if the projector had a gaming mode. I never have a problem navigating the HTPC with a wired mouse, but that damn bluetooth one would give me fits just trying to open network links to my NAS box and play movies or TV shows through VLC, enough so that it hit the floor and disintegrated (I was having a VERY bad day at the time) mad.gif

Thanks for the info on the G700, I ordered one. biggrin.gif

post #7 of 7 Old 08-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I've had mine for about 3 years and other than the battery life it is perfect.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page