Battlefield 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 127 Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
With the Beta set to launch a month from now, I figured it's a good time to start a thread for it. I don't know how many PC BF gamers we have here, but I figured I could try to keep this first post updated with our battlelog IDs/new content.

Stay up-to-date with the latest BF4 news on the official Battlefield Blog and on MP1st (best site I've found so far for BF news).

Here's the Levolution Features trailer, along with the Paracel Storm trailer.

Official multiplayer launch trailer:

BF4 PC Requirements:

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista SP2 32-Bit (With KB971512 Platform Update)
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 3870, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 30 GB

Recommended
Processor: AMD Six-Core CPU, Intel Quad-Core CPU
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7870, Nvidia Geforce GT 660
Graphics Memory: 3 GB

Battlelog IDs.

moob
mphfrom77
tumult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any recommended hardware specs out for this yet?
post #3 of 127 Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I heard the requirements are basically the same as BF3.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #4 of 127 Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah. There's no official word on the system requirements, but it should be similar.

Here's an estimation: http://bf4central.com/battlefield-4-system-requirements/
post #5 of 127 Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM

got to play this at e3. it was the siege of shanghai map. it was still in alpha, so it was a bit glitchy, but overall the experience was amazing. very intense. definitely what you would expect from bf. cannot wait for this to come out.
post #6 of 127 Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM

In my opinion, video cards refresh have been poor for thsi last 1.5 year. I do have a gtx 580 on on 30 inch hp screen and bf3 was is fun at full resolution. I am lloking for 2014 cards as or the next gen cards as many greats games are coming next years (at least for me).

I usually wait for 2 generations to upgrade. This time, i might just upgrade the video cards instead of a full system. Bf4 looks great as a continuation of bf3. I wished they would do a follow up fron bf2142 as it was my favorite with the the titans...

Yan
post #7 of 127 Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I can't wait. I still have many friends that play BF3 together and can't wait for BF4! Also GTA V and NHL 14 will be time takers as well!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #8 of 127 Old 09-06-2013, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I can't freaking wait! I need more friends with mic's! What game types do you guys typically play? I usually stick to rush, CTF, or conquest but can dig most others as well. Running a gtx 680 ftw but might have to grab another/sli for launch!

Mike Clough #24
post #9 of 127 Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I generally only play Conquest and CTF. I never play TDM or scavenger etc. Our clan of guys were playing other clans for money up until a few months ago, as there are way to many hacks to bother anymore. I love playing for money. Everyone that wants in put in either $10 or $20 and winner takes all. It's better than gambling since the outcome is not left to chance. I hope we do the same in BF4...

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #10 of 127 Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Like you guys, it's pretty much only Conquest/Conquest Domination for me. I played the other modes for the Assignments, and I'll play SQDM once in a while if my friends are on, but nothing beats going for flags.

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish that with BF4 people pay more attention to the mini-map/what's being said by the characters. I can't tell you how many times I end up running in front of ammo guys knifing them in the face trying to get them to drop ammo, yelling at them with no luck. Or how many medics I see just run over my dead body. Or people not spotting...

Don't forget to add your Battlelog IDs...if you want. tongue.gif
post #11 of 127 Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Official BF4 requirements: http://mp1st.com/2013/09/09/battlefield-4-pc-system-requirements-revealed/

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista SP2 32-Bit (With KB971512 Platform Update)
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 3870, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB

Recommended
Processor: AMD Six-Core CPU, Intel Quad-Core CPU
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7870, Nvidia Geforce GT 660
Graphics Memory: 3 GB
post #12 of 127 Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beta preload available now. 5.6GB for those interested.

64-bit only as well. The full game will support 32-bit for the 1 gamer out there with it. tongue.gif
post #13 of 127 Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Tried the beta and super unplayable for me even at low settings using tri 5870s, prob since its a beta and it still needs optimization in the game code and vid driver support. Even tho I thought I would never get another radeon card, I just odered an Gigabyte 7990. The price was too good to pass up. In Canada it was over $400 off at NCIX for their weekly special. The three 5870s were getting a little long on the tooth. It was a choice of a Nvidia 690 or a Radeon 7990 and cost won out.rolleyes.gif

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #14 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Tinker! Where you been man?
post #15 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I was thinking the same thing. I expected him to be running quad Titans by now. biggrin.gif
post #16 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'll be trying it on my Titan this weekend and can report framerates -- personally I prefer 120+ Hz compared to choppy 60 fps. Will see what the Titan can do. (Very disappointed that Tomb Raider at 2560x1440 drops below 30 fps in certain outdoor areas.)

I'm not aware of ANY 4-way Titan performing better then 3-way. Both nVidia and AMD recognize they have MAJOR scaling issues with multi-GPU setups for gaming. Hopefully we'll see some better optimized drivers.

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #17 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Hawkwing and MSmith83

I been buying a lot airsoft guns, over 15 rifles and 12 pistols and a ton of gear... a lot of money spent (wasted?). Also playing a lot of World of Tanks which the 5870s worked OK for since the game only uses one card and the game is not super demanding that I needed to get a Titan(s) for. All the other games I played didn't need anything more powerful than triple 5870s. I just didn't see the need for anything more powerful than what I was already running. I knew I needed a vid card(s) update soon and BF4 is the game that provide me with an excuse for upgrading.

post #18 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylestrat View Post

In my opinion, video cards refresh have been poor for thsi last 1.5 year.

I usually wait for 2 generations to upgrade. This time, i might just upgrade the video cards instead of a full system. Bf4 looks great as a continuation of bf3. I wished they would do a follow up fron bf2142 as it was my favorite with the the titans...

Yan

You can partially blame TMSC for causing the GPU vendors to stall from last fall to this spring as TMSC had major problems moving to 28nm.

post #19 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Hawkwing and MSmith83

I been buying a lot airsoft guns, over 15 rifles and 12 pistols and a ton of gear... a lot of money spent (wasted?). Also playing a lot of World of Tanks which the 5870s worked OK for since the game only uses one card and the game is not super demanding that I needed to get a Titan(s) for. All the other games I played didn't need anything more powerful than triple 5870s. I just didn't see the need for anything more powerful than what I was already running. I knew I needed a vid card(s) update soon and BF4 is the game that provide me with an excuse for upgrading.

I hear ya in that other hobbies tend to get in the way.

It's good to know that you're doing well.
post #20 of 127 Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

DICE net code rolleyes.gif you just got to luv it, the game today works fine with my triple 5870s set at AUTO at 1920x1200 which it didn't do before. I am getting my ass kicked since I haven't played a twitch shooter in a while frown.gif

post #21 of 127 Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Subscribed.

I just built a pc and am still trying to get the hang of a keyboard and mouse setup.

This will be the first pc game I will purchase, I believe. Though I did make my initial purchase by doing the humble bumble origin thing for $6.

So how should I go about purchasing / preordering BF4? Just order it from Origin / Battlelog or something? Or is there a better route? I do plan on getting Premium probably, idk.

Thanks.
post #22 of 127 Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you want to get the best price, I'd say wait until closer to release and see what the various sites are offering (I've seen it as low as $47). Actually, I just realized you're new to PC gaming so I don't know if you're familiar with the various digital download retailers. A few of the more popular options are Amazon, Steam (not available on Steam as it's an Origin exclusive), Origin of course, greenmangaming (GMG), Gamefly, Gamersgate and Gamestop. Also, just for reference, you can get some great older games at GOG.

Personally, my favorite option for digital downloads is amazon. The way a lot of these sites work is they sell you the code which you'd then redeem through Origin (or Steam for other games, or unfortunately, Uplay **shudder**). I've used most of the sites listed above. I know for certain that both amazon and GMG give you codes to redeem through Origin/Steam/Uplay, without the need to install any other third-party clients. I believe that with Gamefly, you can go to your Order History and get the key that way (someone can verify), so you don't need that client either. I haven't bought a game through gamersgate in a long time so I've forgotten what that entails. I've never bought a game at Gamestop, so I don't know what they offer. You should also check to see which sites charge your credit card immediately (e.g. Gamestop), and which charge you on release (e.g. amazon).

As for Premium, same idea...look for the best deal. That's the best thing about being a PC gamer when it comes to purchasing games...we have many options with great prices. biggrin.gif
mphfrom77 likes this.
post #23 of 127 Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM

IMO the "best" time to buy for the CHEAPEST price is about ~6 months to 12 months AFTER the game comes out and EA is having fire sale(s). I picked up BF3 for $10. By then all the "cool kids" have moved onto the next bullet-sponge-fad so most of the servers are usually empty but I have a few gaming buddies I play with so it doesn't matter TOO much. You gotta pay if you want to play. Or you can wait and get it on sale. smile.gif

All great game distribution options moob! Personally I prefer Steam for a number of reasons: Mostly so I can check the Metacritic score before buying so I can see if I'm buying a gem or a piece of unfinished-rushed junk. Steam has fantastic great summer and winter sales. My Steam library is ~300 games 99% due to sales. This isn't even counting the numerous games I have on various other platforms. I don't buy games over $20 now ... I just simply wait for them to go on sale with making an exception once a year for the game that I "must" have.

Agreed that Ubisoft's "uPlay" is total garbage. More like: uLoseConnection. It has gotten so bad that myself and few other gaming buddies boycott anything from Ubisoft for making us play a *single* player game that kicks you OUT of the game because their garbage uPlay service disconnected. WTF?! Ubisoft doesn't care about the PC community at all. Buggy games, poor tech support, no map editor. Google "Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2 sound loop bug" for an example "Please re-install your sound driver" Seriously? ALL my games work properly except yours with sloppy programming. mad.gif

Now that EA has Origin you will no longer find their newer titles available on Steam, only on Origin (and Amazon.) You can buy the older games such as B:BC2 (Battefield Bad Company 2) off Steam.

EA's "Origin" is like how Steam was back in 2000. Poor. Using a *web browser* just to browse and join a server WOULD be OK _if_ it actually worked! You spend more time trying to connect then actually playing the game -- it is that bad. Hopefully it will continue to get better as EA figures out how to load-balance their match-making servers.

On the bright side BF3 + ALL the expansion packs was 34 GB eek.gif and it downloaded relatively fast.

@mphfrom77 Mouse + Keyboard takes a while to get the hang up. Turn your mouse sensitivity down until you feel comfortable, then slowly crank it up. Also you will probably want non-linear independent settings for both the X and Y mouse axises.
i.e.

Also do yourself and buy a GOOD gaming mouse. I recommend the Logitech G500. It will last you for *years* providing pure gaming bliss. Stay AWAY from any piece of junk that is less then $20 for a mouse.

Game On!
mphfrom77 likes this.

post #24 of 127 Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I don't know what servers Michaelangelo plays on, but I've had BF3 since launch, and I have 17-18 servers on my favorites (swap them out), and they were usually full (with players in queue waiting) before the BF4 Beta was released. All 64-player servers. But I play Conquest/Conquest Domination almost exclusively, so maybe the other game modes have less players...I don't know. I'm with you on waiting for single-player titles to go on sale a few months down the road as I do the same thing, but I'd say multiplayer games are a different breed. Considering I have hundreds of hours in BF3, I'd say it's been worth it.

I'd also say that Steam used to have great Summer/Winter sales. It feels like everyone else has caught up now. The Steam sales are still good, but their competitors (namely amazon and GMG) often offer similar/lower prices on many titles. I didn't even buy anything during their last sale.

As for Origin, I definitely wouldn't say it was as bad as Steam's initial launch, but that's because EA had the benefit of hindsight and learned from Valve's mistakes. Yes, Origin had issues when BF3 was first released (it was a Beta after all), but today, as far as I'm concerned, Origin = Steam for all intents and purposes. They've refined it quite a bit. They're both storefronts that house game libraries and they both work just fine (I have 40 games on Steam and 30 on Origin...and 3 on Uplay...lol).

Battlelog is the browser-based server browser, and that usually works just fine as well for me. Aside from the odd bug now and then, I can't say that I have many issues connecting when I'm looking to play a game. I never use the match-making/quick match option though, so maybe that has problems, but going to my favorites and jumping into a game works great. Or joining a friend already in a game by just clicking the play button.

Origin/Battlelog have both come a long way from 2 years ago, but as with all BF games, I'm guessing it'll still take a few months for EA/DICE to iron out the kinks when BF4 launches. If you want a smoother experience, it may not be a bad idea to wait a little before jumping in, but I'll be there on day one, bugs and all. wink.gif
mphfrom77 likes this.
post #25 of 127 Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

I've played some games of Conquest BF4 beta, and I think I like it.

I've had some bad trouble with my mouse though that doesn't happen at all when I play BF3.

I have a Razer DeathAdder 2013. For BF3 and BF4 beta I programmed my mouse's scroll wheel to 3 different keystrokes for use with key bindings. Click scroll wheel is the key 'P' which I assigned for grenades and that works fine I believe for both BF3 and BF4. I used scroll wheel scroll back towards myself as the key 'I' for reloading my guns and that seems to work fine for both games. But the scroll wheel away from me as the letter 'O' to toggle the primary weapon has been a nightmare for BF4 beta, though it worked perfectly for BF3. I seem to have to keep scrolling over and over to get it to do anything and when it does do something it is not what I wanted. Most of the time when I scroll the wheel forward I get locked in to the 'console command' screen, so I guessing it is somehow acting like the tilde button or something. Have you guys had any problems or heard of anything like this.

I had to, once again, change my setup around and I don't know if I can even use the scroll wheel forward for anything in BF4 beta. IDK, like I said it still works fine for BF3, as I played BF3 using that setup after it not working on the beta. Something wonky is going on there for me.
post #26 of 127 Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's...a weird set-up. O_O

In any case, I've already uninstalled the Beta, so I can't be of much use. Though now that you mention it, I realize that I hardly ever use the scroll wheel...
post #27 of 127 Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it seemed to help me by putting as much on the mouse as I could. IDK, I'm new at this.
post #28 of 127 Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One of my friends does something similar where he tries to put as many action keys on his mouse as he can. You'll get used to it...we all were new to PC gaming at some point. tongue.gif
post #29 of 127 Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

From some Youtube videos I have seen, this seems fairly normal for Battlefield. It's easier for me because the keyboard part is more difficult out of the gate, with me having to actually look down several times to complete my in game maneuver. I get better every game though.

I actually was curious if any stats / weapon unlocks would carry over from the beta to BF4. Does anybody know.
post #30 of 127 Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Yeah, it seemed to help me by putting as much on the mouse as I could. IDK, I'm new at this.

Don't worry you'll eventually get it.

Try not to over-load your mouse with too many buttons! I try to keep it to 4:

1. Shoot,
2. Jump
3. Throw grenade (mouse wheel button/scroll)
4. Voice chat (mouse thumb button)

The "Pros" actually move their shoot button to the keyboard so as not to disrupt the mouse position AT ALL when sniping.

Back in the Doom days I switched from pure keyboard to mouse+keyboard. It took a a WHOLE week to re-learn how to play.

* The first two days I was bad.
* By the third day I was back up to normal skills
* But by day 5 I was so far ahead of my previous skills I wondered how anyone could play with such grotesque movements. Even modern day gamepads are *barely* a step up from keyboards. They are that BAD: Inconsistent dead-zones, linear acceleration, etc.

Eventually you jack your sensitivity up so you can literally do a 180 on the turn of a pin. Yes, that tight. The further you are behind enemy lines every few seconds you should be "sweeping" the area to prevent from getting ambushed from behind. Plus you'll likely catching a few enemies getting heading TOWARDS your base. tongue.gif

Also set your mouse sampling rate to 1000 Hz, if possible, not the default garbage that Windows defaults to: 125 Hz. The higher sampling rate will help interpolate over the 60 rendered frames.

Also, turn V-Sync OFF to eliminate "mouse input lag". This can *easily* shave off a few milliseconds to ~ 25 ms.

For movement your left hand should be using the standard WASD inverted T shape. You could even use the ESDF keys -- but I don't by that argument because your pinky "anchors" your left hand on the shift/ctrl.
http://www.ign.com/blogs/conkersbadfurday/2013/04/20/why-esdf-is-better-than-wasd/

Just practice, practice, practice until you can move without looking down!

If you *really* want to get in people's faces and have everyone just plain hate you on the server -- put your knife key on your thumb to minimize knife reaction time. Milliseconds matter for this weapon.

Lastly, for multiplayer turn the graphics options DOWN until you can sustain a *guaranteed* 60 FPS in a HEAVY firefight. You should be running 80 to 100 FPS without anything going on. (Obviously this doesn't really apply for single player.)

Alrighty then, enough FPS "secrets" cool.gif

Been distracted with my Dennon 3313CI. Just moved and the cable modem is getting hooked up tomorrow so should be checking out the BF4 beta, finally, this weekend. biggrin.gif

Game on!

Edit: Added whitespace, and ESDF hints
mphfrom77 likes this.

Reply HTPC Gaming

Tags
Battlefield 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page