New build for me finally! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
So um, yeah, on another forum I frequent, they have a contest where each month they choose someone to win $2500 to build a dream rig with... and pardon the language dodge BUT I EFFING WON!!! I get to build a new rig with a $2500 budget and I'm seriously shaking with excitement right now! Can't wait to build it!.
DaverJ, Hawkwing and barrelbelly like this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Awesome! Congrats man! GTX 780? Titan?? SLI config? Water cooling? Huge ass SSD drive? Oh the possibilites! Keep us posted.

PS I'm jealous
post #3 of 60 Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Awesome! Congrats man! GTX 780? Titan?? SLI config? Water cooling? Huge ass SSD drive? Oh the possibilites! Keep us posted.

PS I'm jealous

At this point I think I've settled on an EVGA 3GB 780 FTW w ACX Cooler. Can't wait to get it built

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #4 of 60 Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Way to go Eye! cool.gif

Keep us up-to-date on the new build.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #5 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, well barring any last minute changes, this is the final parts list.

Case - Silverstone Raven 03
Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Gene
Power Supply - Seasonic SS-750AM 750w
CPU - i7-4770k
Cooler - Corsair H80i liquid CPU cooler
RAM - 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2133 (2x8gb)
OS - Win 8 Pro
SSD - Corsair Neutron 256gb
HDD1 - Seagate 3tb (Data)
HDD2 - Seagate 3tb (Dedicated FRAPS drive)
GPU - EVGA 3GB GTX780 FTW

With tax and shipping comes to $2,489.51
DaverJ likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #6 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Ok, well barring any last minute changes, this is the final parts list.

Case - Silverstone Raven 03
Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Gene
CPU - i7-4770k
Cooler - Corsair H80i liquid CPU cooler
RAM - 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2133 (2x8gb)
OS - Win 8 Pro
SSD - Corsair Neutron 256gb
HDD1 - Seagate 3tb (Data)
HDD2 - Seagate 3tb (Dedicated FRAPS drive)
GPU - EVGA 3GB GTX780 FTW

With tax and shipping comes to $2,489.51

Congratulations! And a great build. I envy the fun you are about to have. I', really interested on your thought process as you made compromises between parts. That would be instructive and very interesting. As I truly enjoy reading your knowledgeable comments. Did you consider a heftier PSU? And why did you go WIn8 Pro versus WIn7 or Win8.1. Everything I've read says Win7 is a much better OS for gaming. And that Win8.1 allows the new OS to work more like Win7.
post #7 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Congratulations! And a great build. I envy the fun you are about to have. I', really interested on your thought process as you made compromises between parts. That would be instructive and very interesting. As I truly enjoy reading your knowledgeable comments. Did you consider a heftier PSU? And why did you go WIn8 Pro versus WIn7 or Win8.1. Everything I've read says Win7 is a much better OS for gaming. And that Win8.1 allows the new OS to work more like Win7.

I made a few compromises along the way. One thing I was certain on was 16gb of ram, using the 4770k, a 256gb SSD, and dual mechanical drives. Those were the musts. Everything else was adjustable (including the speed of the RAM.)

My initial build actually included a 1200w PSU, but that's simply beyond overkill. Under full load, this build will pull less than 500w total actually. So I saved quite a bit by stepping way down. Initially I stepped down to an 850w, then to save more went to a 750w, which is still more than enough for the entire rig to run at 100% load.

I went Win8 because I've been using it since RC and it's perfectly fine for gaming. It's every bit as good as 7, has a smaller footprint, and is less of a system hog. Everything that says 7 is a better OS for gaming, is, imo, a load of crap. And with the cost of Win8 Pro being the same a 7 Pro, it was a no brainer for me. As for 8.1, that's a free update coming for all Win8 owners anyway, so I'll be getting it, on all 3 of my computers

I'm still mulling over choices. I'm trying to decide if I want to change my case for a cheaper one and get the H100i, but the H80i is almost as good as the H100i, so it's nearly a moot point. I'm also considering the EVGA GTX 780 Classified for $50 if I can get a case for $100 (of which there are some quite good cases for that price), and that card has a lot of nice features for better speeds and overclocking, but then I'd lose out on the case I've wanted to have for years.

For me it really is all about maximizing the performance I'll get for this budget (I quite literally cannot go over this budget as I don't have the extra cash at all). So swapping out a case to potentially get better performance is something I would do.

EDIT: Still considering some other cases.

Corsair C70
Antec 900
Rosewill THOR V2
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Corsair 550D
Cooler Master Storm Series Trooper
Antec Performance One P193 V3 (although I kinda HATE doors)
Thermaltake Chaser A71
Corsair 500R
Fractal Define XL R2 (love the case, but again, I hate doors)
Lian Li PC-7HB
Antec 1100
Cooler Master HAF XB
Corsair 400R
DaverJ and barrelbelly like this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #8 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been thinking about replacing my Seasonic because of a faint intermittent buzz that appears after it's been on for a while. It's ~6 years old.

I'm curious about your thoughts on power supplies, specifically the one you mentioned vs. a SS-760XP2. Do you think the XP2 would be worth an extra $65 over the AM if you weren't under budget constraints? Or are they both be pretty much identical power supplies?

post #9 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I've been thinking about replacing my Seasonic because of a faint intermittent buzz that appears after it's been on for a while. It's ~6 years old.

I'm curious about your thoughts on power supplies, specifically the one you mentioned vs. a SS-760XP2. Do you think the XP2 would be worth an extra $65 over the AM if you weren't under budget constraints? Or are they both be pretty much identical power supplies?

I would say not worth the extra money. In all honesty the Platinum certification is not worth the extra cost. Unless you're folding 24/7 the savings from the efficiency would maybe reach $10 a year, maybe. Just get something Bronze and you're good.
DaverJ likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #10 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would say not worth the extra money. In all honesty the Platinum certification is not worth the extra cost. Unless you're folding 24/7 the savings from the efficiency would maybe reach $10 a year, maybe. Just get something Bronze and you're good.

Thanks for the response! cool.gif

post #11 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Thanks for the response! cool.gif

No prob, I thought the same thing until doing some research. While the Platinum rated PSU are more efficient, the difference is not worth it for a normal user/gamer.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #12 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Good stuff! I tweaked my 2012 rebuild in July/August. And was really on the bubble with Windows 8. Hence my question to you. I chose to stay the Win7 course because of all the Win8 naysayers and general information in the marketplace about Win8's general lack of compatibility with older game libraries. I still may make the changeover if Win8 fixes my concerns about those issues. My excitement overall about Win8 was I thought MS was going to bridge it with a new Win8 XB OS "option...version...or proprietary SSD boot drive"...that allowed elite PC builds like yours and mine capable of cold booting into the same overall framework of Xbox One. And join into Xbox Live gaming community, while being compatible to play Next Generation Xbox One games on elite PC's. Sigh...none of that happened. Even though I believe the jury is still out there in terms of MS exploring that path after the launch of their new console. I think they were headed that way before terrible PR and over reaching threw MS off the rail temporarily.

I also went with a 750W PSU with my build. But I was on the fence for awhile on whether to go 1000W. Since I backed off going Crossfire Asus HD7870's at the last minute...I justified it the same way as you.
My final Parts assembly ended up as:
  1. Asus M5A99FX Pro R 2.0 Mobo with 32GB PNY 1333 memory in (4) 8GB sticks
  2. Asus HD 7970 GPU
  3. AMD 8350 CPU
  4. Corsair CX750M PSU
  5. (3) Toshiba 1TB SATA 7200 HDDs...(1) OCZ AGT4 256 GB SSD...and (1) Asus 24XSATA DVD
  6. Sentey Halcon2 6550 ATX Case

As stated earlier...I opted to stay with Win7. And I also use the wired Xbox 360 controller for PC along with a Turtle Beach X42 wireless Headset for XB 360 & PC. I feel that left me with a lot of room to upgrade in the future...while not missing out on very much over the next 5 years. I built with an eye toward Xbox One convergence and Oculus Rift coming online. I bought all of the parts at Micro Center. And scored a lot of fantastic deals. Check them out on the web at www.microcenter.com. They have a ton of great deals on cases among other parts. If given $2500 to build to please...I'm unsure how I would change mine except for maybe the Mobo, better memory and the 1000W PSU. I've been alternately playing BioShock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Diablo 3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and an old favorite...Halo 2 on the build. They all look awesome! And I'm ecstatic about this rig. PC gaming is really fun again. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

I really love how you built yours along with the compromises you made. Have fun.
post #13 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually just made a really big change to my build and I think I love it.

So I changed my case to a non-windowed Corsair 350D ($70 instead of $150, and $15 less shipping)

This allowed me to change out the H80i for an H100i which will fit perfectly in the case.
This also allowed me to change out the EVGA 780 FTW, for the EVGA 780 Classified (woot!)
And finally, left enough room to swap the fans on the H100i with Corsair SP120 High Performance fans for better cooling!

Grand total now? $2,496.00

I think this is the new final list...I think... lol

A compromise on the case I love for a case I really like as well (sleek and minimalistic) for some better internals, I think it's worth the sacrifice.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #14 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually just made a really big change to my build and I think I love it.

So I changed my case to a non-windowed Corsair 350D ($70 instead of $150, and $15 less shipping)

This allowed me to change out the H80i for an H100i which will fit perfectly in the case.
This also allowed me to change out the EVGA 780 FTW, for the EVGA 780 Classified (woot!)
And finally, left enough room to swap the fans on the H100i with Corsair SP120 High Performance fans for better cooling!

Grand total now? $2,496.00

I think this is the new final list...I think... lol

Nice! I was going to suggest you look at the Corsair cases. Great prices at MicroCenter. But it looks like you found a great deal. I chose the Sentey case over a Corsair because it has 7 "cool Blue" fans that are big...run dead silent and are very efficient. Zero heat buildup of any kind. Even under intense gaming circumstances. But it was between those 2 brands. I got 4 free games with my build (all of the above...including Far Cry Blood Dragon) & except for Halo2 and Diablo. Worth at least $100 at retail. Are you getting any with yours?

Edit:
Separate question...did you consider going dual monitor with your build? I forgot to mention that in my parts list. But I backed off crossfire to go with dual monitors. I went with a Dell 24" IPS LED/LCD next to a Westinghouse 24" LED/LCD 1080P HDTV. That gives me 48" of viewable side by side display area. when run in dual monitor configuration. But I rarely run it that way. I always just play games on the Dell. But use the HDTV/monitor to watch/listen to TV while Computing for other purposes. Or playing Xbox 360 or the rare PS3 game on. That was one of the best parts choices I actually made. I never liked playing console games in my family room on the giant 65" HDTV. I prefer to play games in private and close to the action.
post #15 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice! I was going to suggest you look at the Corsair cases. Great prices at MicroCenter. But it looks like you found a great deal. I chose the Sentey case over a Corsair because it has 7 "cool Blue" fans that are big...run dead silent and are very efficient. Zero heat buildup of any kind. Even under intense gaming circumstances. But it was between those 2 brands. I got 4 free games with my build (all of the above...including Far Cry Blood Dragon) & except for Halo2 and Diablo. Worth at least $100 at retail. Are you getting any with yours?

Batman: Arkham Origins with the 780

Everything else on offer with components I already have. You're talking to the guy with 558 games on Steam, around 30 on Origin, and a dozen or so elsewhere lol. Shoot I haven't even finished Arkham Asylum or Arkham City and I own them both.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #16 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds eerily familiar to me. My backlog is pretty full too. That's just one of the reasons, I don't have very much passion for the Next Generation consoles. I'm content with Xbox 360 and PS3. And my PC is as Next Gen as I want to be for awhile. At least until I finish my backlog on them all. If MS does what I think it will do in 2014-2016...and Oculus Rift hits the stage...I'm really all set. And so are you.
post #17 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds eerily familiar to me. My backlog is pretty full too. That's just one of the reasons, I don't have very much passion for the Next Generation consoles. I'm content with Xbox 360 and PS3. And my PC is as Next Gen as I want to be for awhile. At least until I finish my backlog on them all. If MS does what I think it will do in 2014-2016...and Oculus Rift hits the stage...I'm really all set. And so are you.

Yeah, I don't even touch my 360 anymore, least not until GTA V in 2 weeks. Right now I'm only interested in an XBO for Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and the Halo series, everything else is PC for me, and the PS4 has absolutely nothing that I'm even remotely interested in, and still has a horrendously uncomfortable controller.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #18 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

Edit:
Separate question...did you consider going dual monitor with your build? I forgot to mention that in my parts list. But I backed off crossfire to go with dual monitors. I went with a Dell 24" IPS LED/LCD next to a Westinghouse 24" LED/LCD 1080P HDTV. That gives me 48" of viewable side by side display area. when run in dual monitor configuration. But I rarely run it that way. I always just play games on the Dell. But use the HDTV/monitor to watch/listen to TV while Computing for other purposes. Or playing Xbox 360 or the rare PS3 game on. That was one of the best parts choices I actually made. I never liked playing console games in my family room on the giant 65" HDTV. I prefer to play games in private and close to the action.

Surprised Dan didn't respond to this part but Marafice Eye already runs a quad monitor set up. One 16:9 1080p that he uses as a main gaming monitor, a 16:10 that he uses sort of as the secondary "main" monitor. Usually he works on this monitor while the 16:9 has a game or movie going. Then he has two really old 4:3 monitors, one on each side. One is usually dedicated to his chat windows, friends lists and other communication stuff and then the last monitor usually has Firefox running with all he queued up sites.

When I found out that he had won I was going to make a point to finally upgrade his monitors to something more consistent and/or better. tongue.gif However, there simply is no room in the budget. I think we have gone over the build with a fine toothed comb. There is no way to squeeze out enough extra cash to upgrade the video system. All that is going to his first high end video card. And I think that is the best choice given his wants and expectations. I wouldn't change a thing.

Can't wait, bro! smile.gif Will be real fun to put this one together. cool.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #19 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heh, for reference, This is the card I'm getting (left) compared to a standard 780

But yeah like Scott said, I run 4 monitors right now, and unfortunately I'll be cut to 2 with this build, but it's worth it. If I get a DisplyPort to VGA adapter I could run 3, but I'll just get newer monitors later, rather have the computer first.

I was actually going to try and fit in a $560 27in 1440p monitor at the start, but I would have had to sacrifice too much and NOT been able to drive games at that res maxed out.

This is how it currently looks.

I'll be removing the two 4:3s once the new build is done. It's going to be wierd not having 4 though, I'll tell you that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #20 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Heh, for reference, This is the card I'm getting (left) compared to a standard 780

Oh snap! That's pretty big.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #21 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Oh snap! That's pretty big.

Now you see what I meant when I said it was wider than the I/O shield lol.

For further reference, this is your card

That's what I meant when I said holy crap it's even bigger than your card lol and yours is already HUGE

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #22 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Bass Enabler

Yeah. I guess I thought you meant how .... tall it was but dayum. tongue.gif

We gotta get you a Dell Ultrasharp 30" to use up that DisplayPort ..umm...port. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #23 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yeah. I guess I thought you meant how .... tall it was but dayum. tongue.gif

We gotta get you a Dell Ultrasharp 30" to use up that DisplayPort ..umm...port. biggrin.gif

I def feel you on the Dell ultrasharp 30'er. I lusted after that one for awhile. And may still get one next year if Oculus Rift doesn't launch. I didn't realize you already had the monitor bases covered Marafice. I must have missed that one. But it looks super. What would you have changed or added if they had given you $500-$800 more?
post #24 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I def feel you on the Dell ultrasharp 30'er. I lusted after that one for awhile. And may still get one next year if Oculus Rift doesn't launch. I didn't realize you already had the monitor bases covered Marafice. I must have missed that one. But it looks super. What would you have changed or added if they had given you $500-$800 more?

Easy, an ASUS 27" 2560x1440 monitor, hands down. They run about $560

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #25 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Oh and what is this forum that gives out $2500 every month?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #26 of 60 Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Oh and what is this forum that gives out $2500 every month?

Lol, it was only for this year, and there's only 3 left. You have to have been a member with a certain amount of posts and time I think, joining now you'd maybe be eligible to win Nov or Dec lol

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #27 of 60 Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE: Got a message from the forum manager after confirming PayPal details and such, should have the payment within the next week or so. So building it this weekend is out of the question unfortunately

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #28 of 60 Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

UPDATE: Got a message from the forum manager after confirming PayPal details and such, should have the payment within the next week or so. So building it this weekend is out of the question unfortunately

How did this end up? Did they get the $$$ to you or renege on the deal?
post #29 of 60 Old 09-18-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, it's still coming, there's been some issues with the bank and PayPal.

The guy who owns the site formed it into a legitimate company a few months back, which meant new bank and PayPal accounts accordingly. As he's based in Canada, adding canadian funds to a canadian Paypal is a breeze, but in order to send money to a US PayPal (i.e me and the other winners) they can't just do a paypal transfer straight across. It has new steps. Add funds from canadian bank, for a 3% fee, then convert and transfer to USD to a US account, another 3% fee. He's spent the last few weeks going back and forth with both his bank and with PayPal to try and figure out a way to do it without fees, but he's kinda had it with all that crap. He says if they can't figure out a way to do it, he'll just eat the 6% in fees so we still get the full $2500

It is still happening, it's jut going to be probably another week maybe 2. Which is fine, I can wait. I'll post again once I get the money and get the parts ordered.

As for re-negging, that legally can't happen now as it's a full on registered business.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #30 of 60 Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Why can't they just send you a cashiers's check in USD?
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page