Upgrade or buy new - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So about 5 years ago I dropped about 1200 on a gaming computer off of a craigslist purchase.

Came with a monitor keyboard all that good stuff.
This is my current setup. I have had no problems with it at all. (copied from Speccy)

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Crosshair III Formula (AM3)
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Hard Drives
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00J7B1 ATA Device (IDE)

in an antec nine hundred case.

I just bought a 60" samsung plasma tv that I game on.

I am debating rather or not I should upgrade some of my hardware, or just sell off my current tower and buy a new one. My goal is to stay somewhat current, and when i played BL2 I was really bummed not to be able to use physx.

I know where I can pick up a tower, with monitor keyboard headset, and so on, with below specs for 900.

Asus Formula V ROG edition motherboard
AMD 8150 Bulldozer @4.6ghz CPU w/Corsair H100 water cooler
NVIDIA Geforce 670 FTW edition GPU @1.15ghz
Corsair Vengeance 16gig RAM @1866
OCZ 1000w PSU
OCZ 120gig SSD boot w/Window 7 ultimate (keyed and disc)
Seagate 1tb HD

What would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd use what I already had, overclock the CPU, upgrade the video card to a 650 Ti Boost if Physx was a big deal and a 7850 if it wasn't (and it's really not), get another hard drive if needed, and take the rest of that $900 and put it towards a whole new rig maybe next gen. That Bulldozer isn't... it's... just don't do it.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post

I'd use what I already had, overclock the CPU, upgrade the video card to a 650 Ti Boost if Physx was a big deal and a 7850 if it wasn't (and it's really not), get another hard drive if needed, and take the rest of that $900 and put it towards a whole new rig maybe next gen. That Bulldozer isn't... it's... just don't do it.

would a 650ti outperform my dual 5770's by quite a bit?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Didn't realize they were duals. I really have no idea about raw performance, but not every game supports cossfire and even when it does it there are sometimes issues you wouldn't get with a single card.

I will add that second system would look a lot better with an FX-8350 swapped in if it would take it, but I'm still not sure I'd do it.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would get rid of that antiquated rig. I build PC's for friends all the time and I hate screwing with older PCs. They always want to upgrade their old rigs, but usually all that is worth using is the case, the HD (as a secondary drive), and maybe the powersupply. My current newest rig is 3 years old and it is not up to par at all. I even updated the card to a TI boost, but it still chugs a bit on newer games. The last several PC's I have built for friends blow my PC out of the water. Get a 760 gtx with a Haswell I5, 8 gig of DDR ram minimum, decent power supply, and a SSD HD, and be set for a couple of years with 1080P gaming. Get a motherboard with UEFI and cruise through the bios. And if you are feeling particularly nerdy, make that a Haswell K (unlocked) processer, get a Cooler Master Hyper heatsink and overclock that bad boy. Use something like OCCT to run it through the ringer and make sure it is stable overclocked and you will be golden.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Get a 760 gtx with a Haswell I5, 8 gig of DDR ram minimum, decent power supply, and a SSD HD, and be set for a couple of years with 1080P gaming

This is EXACTLY what I just bought. My computer boots up in like 5 seconds, and the few games I played get good fps with maxed out settings.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

This is EXACTLY what I just bought. My computer boots up in like 5 seconds, and the few games I played get good fps with maxed out settings.

Sweet! Waiting on my last two items to be delivered tomorrow (MB, and heatsink/fan). Took me about 4 weeks, but I waited for stuff to go on sale and saved $177 total. Not sure it was worth the wait though lol.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page