Valve, "Linux is the future of gaming" - Shots fired? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
SteamOS is basically a OS that is geared toward one thing: GAMING.

Alot still see Windows as a gaming platform and it simply isnt. There is way too much junk running in the background.

Now I would like to see some sort of movie and media integration with SteamOS but I dont plan on using to it to replace my computer and use some sort of office product on it.

The main reason I would like to have some sort of media support would be because I think it would be fun to play any of your music from your library while playing some different games.

For instance, I could play Civ5 while listening to something from my library but still have the in-game sound effects.

I dont care about movie playback from a disk but it wouldnt hurt. However I would like to see some sort of streaming for a server as a possibility.

However, all of this is secondary to one thing: GAMING

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I went temporarily brain dead on this before BD2003 mercifully slapped me back to life with the dual boot option I already knew about. Thanks BD! But I actually have another question after reading Kimeran's post above. Why can't Microsoft just allow us to configure a minimalist version of the Main Windows OS on a dual "Gaming Drive". And dual boot to it when we are gaming. Allow gamers to load only a minimum of apps to that drive. And configure it for optimum gaming with "Windows" suggested specs? That would be a great feature for Windows 8. I think I know the answer to this. But I would like some more knowledgeable others to wade in on it. For example...can Windows 7 or 8 already do this? If so maybe a step by step guide on this forum would be a real plus.
post #273 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I went temporarily brain dead on this before BD2003 mercifully slapped me back to life with the dual boot option I already knew about. Thanks BD! But I actually have another question after reading Kimeran's post above. Why can't Microsoft just allow us to configure a minimalist version of the Main Windows OS on a dual "Gaming Drive". And dual boot to it when we are gaming. Allow gamers to load only a minimum of apps to that drive. And configure it for optimum gaming with "Windows" suggested specs? That would be a great feature for Windows 8. I think I know the answer to this. But I would like some more knowledgeable others to wade in on it. For example...can Windows 7 or 8 already do this? If so maybe a step by step guide on this forum would be a real plus.

Because they don't want you to do this, of course. smile.gif

There are ways to strip windows down a bit, but it's not easy, and usually not worth the trouble. You can spend all day tweaking only to find out you've broken something and you don't know what, or you can spend $5 for another GB of ram and be done with it.
barrelbelly likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #274 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I am going to assume that you know of Gabe Newell's stance toward Microsoft and how they are making their OS more of a closed system similar to that of Apple.

That is one of the biggest reasons as it will make it more difficult for companies like Valve to do business if Microsoft makes it harder for people to install Steam as they may try to push for Xbox Store on PC....

Now I am no expert but we all know that Windows is a massive OS and it seems to be getting only bigger as there are tons of things running in the background. Heck, go into task manager and there are tons of things running that you probably have no idea what exactly they are doing unless you are very good with programs in general.

Another issue with Windows is defragmenting, viruses, spyware, adware, etc. All of which slows down your computer over time as you collect more junk on your PC.

To have a system that wont have even issues with the adware and viruses would be a huge benefit to the PC gaming in general.

However there are alot of things going on in an OS that I dont personally understand and it sounds like SteamOS is goign to be focusing on minimizing those tasks to keep the computational power where it needs to be.

post #275 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Because they don't want you to do this, of course. smile.gif

There are ways to strip windows down a bit, but it's not easy, and usually not worth the trouble. You can spend all day tweaking only to find out you've broken something and you don't know what, or you can spend $5 for another GB of ram and be done with it.

Felt that one coming BD. biggrin.gif You ever see "Time Bandits", the Monte Python movie? The scene where Robin Hood's right arm (henchman) slams the needy as Robin gifts them. Ouch! smile.gif Of course you are spot on with this. But That is one of the reasons I hope the SteamOS really gains traction. To shake MS up a bit. And let them feel a few of those Robin Hood haymakers from their Windows consumer base. I bet they will offer us a seamless way to do that in a flash if SteamOS takes off with Windows gamers.
post #276 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I am going to assume that you know of Gabe Newell's stance toward Microsoft and how they are making their OS more of a closed system similar to that of Apple.

That is one of the biggest reasons as it will make it more difficult for companies like Valve to do business if Microsoft makes it harder for people to install Steam as they may try to push for Xbox Store on PC....

Now I am no expert but we all know that Windows is a massive OS and it seems to be getting only bigger as there are tons of things running in the background. Heck, go into task manager and there are tons of things running that you probably have no idea what exactly they are doing unless you are very good with programs in general.

Another issue with Windows is defragmenting, viruses, spyware, adware, etc. All of which slows down your computer over time as you collect more junk on your PC.

To have a system that wont have even issues with the adware and viruses would be a huge benefit to the PC gaming in general.

However there are alot of things going on in an OS that I dont personally understand and it sounds like SteamOS is goign to be focusing on minimizing those tasks to keep the computational power where it needs to be.

It can't get to us fast enough! Problem is I have to drift back over to "FatBoy" for my Backward compatibility. Unless my SteamOS can handle at least my Win-7 compatible games in my Steam account. Hold back that haymaker BD! Gabe has to at least give us that.
post #277 of 428 Old 12-06-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Felt that one coming BD. biggrin.gif You ever see "Time Bandits", the Monte Python movie? The scene where Robin Hood's right arm (henchman) slams the needy as Robin gifts them. Ouch! smile.gif Of course you are spot on with this. But That is one of the reasons I hope the SteamOS really gains traction. To shake MS up a bit. And let them feel a few of those Robin Hood haymakers from their Windows consumer base. I bet they will offer us a seamless way to do that in a flash if SteamOS takes off with Windows gamers.

It will probably take only a few seconds to switch over on a SSD. A chromebook can load up a custom linux OS in like 6 seconds, and a hibernated windows instance can load up in maybe 10ish. If SteamOS looks identical to Steam Big Picture, you might not even know what OS you're in, it'll just work. 

barrelbelly likes this.

post #278 of 428 Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

From what i have read SteamOS looks like Steam Big Picture.

I'll try to dig up the articles later and update this post.

post #279 of 428 Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The following agenda for the Steam Developer Conference in January is very interesting. This looks like a powerhouse push into their new era. And I eagerly await the inevitable reports and leaks that will flow from the sessions. And watching how obvious competitors pro act in anticipation of Valve's bold move. My one early disappointment? The apparent fixation with "Mothman". Meaning "Opening up the Living Room". I continue to believe that this is nothing but delusional pipe dreaming. Especially for PC gaming. Especially since they are dedicating a lot of resources to VR. And that 100% is NOT about a living room. But opening up entirely new private worlds and spaces somewhere else!

Steam Dev Days Sessions
http://www.steamdevdays.com/?p=sessions

Steam Machines in 2014 – Opening up the Living Room

Greg Coomer, Anna Sweet

Valve and Steam Machine OEMs will jointly present on what to expect during 2014, including schedules and product release plans. We’ll discuss what we’ve learned so far from our public beta testing, including a rundown on how people are actually using Steam Machines. We’ll cover best practices in preparing your upcoming games for use in the living room. Also! Tweet questions and suggestions live to the on-stage team. After that Q&A the audience will vote on the best question and the winner will get a pretty sweet prize to take home.

The Steam Controller – Production, Programming, and What’s Next

Eric Hope, John McCaskey

The Steam Controller is going to be used by many Steam gamers to play your games. During this hour we’ll discuss the rollout plans for the controller, how to get the most out of the Steam controller for your customers, and we’ll demonstrate how to integrate the Controller API into your games. We’ll share what we’ve learned so far from the public beta testing. We’ll also have controllers on hand for everyone to try, and we’ll let you know when you can have a controller of your own. Also, tweet questions and suggestions live to the on-stage team and try and make them crack up. Note that these people don’t have a sense of humor, so if you manage to break them we’ll definitely make it worth your while.

Getting Started with Linux Game Development

Ryan Gordon - Icculus

This talk is designed for Windows Steam developers that are interested in preparing their games to run on Linux. It will cover available tools, the basic porting flowchart, and common problems and their solutions.

In-Game Economies in Team Fortress and Dota

Kyle Davis, Robin Walker

A look at the multi-year history and development of the in-game economies and micro-transaction systems in Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2, including some of the surprises we encountered and the lessons we've learned that are broadly applicable.

User Generated Content and the Steam Workshop

Alden Kroll, Tom Bui, Josh Weier

What VR Could, Should, and Almost Certainly Will Be
within Two Years

Mike Abrash

We’ve figured out what affordable Virtual Reality (VR) hardware will be capable of within a couple of years, and assembled a prototype which demonstrates that such VR hardware is capable of stunning experiences. This type of hardware is almost certainly going to appear in short order, and the time to starting developing for it is now. This talk will discuss what the hardware is like, and the kinds of experiences it makes possible. A few attendees will be randomly selected to try out the prototype following the talk.

Virtual Reality and Steam

Joe Ludwig

Come and hear what Valve is working on in Steam to support and promote Virtual Reality (VR) games. This includes a discussion of the Steam Overlay in VR, Steam store changes for VR, and our VR plan for Steamworks.

Best Practices for Driving Game Sales on Steam

Chet Faliszek, Alden Kroll, Cliff Harris - Positech Games, Alexander Bruce - Antichamber

Interacting with Customers

Robin Walker

United We Win: Lessons Learned from Collaboration and Co-Working around the World

Ichiro Lambe - Dejobaan Games

What secrets do the Boston, Chicago, Copenhagen, LA, London, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Toronto, Utrecht, Vancouver (and other!) communities have to learn from each other? This talk surveys successful indie groups and collaborative spaces around the world, outlining the top 5 things that make them successful, the top 5 things they warn against, and what resources they can provide you.

Data to Drive Decision-Making

Mike Ambinder

This presentation covers Valve’s approach to the acquisition, collection, and interpretation of data across our products and services. We will go over the infrastructure required to implement a data-driven approach to decision-making as well as common problems, useful analyses, and lessons learned as we’ve built up our capabilities around data.

Getting Started Debugging on Linux

Bruce Dawson

Debugging on Linux can be initially intimidating for a developer accustomed to Visual Studio on Windows. This talk explains how to get comfortable debugging on Linux, including which debuggers Valve has found useful, how to get symbols and source code to show up, and how to confidently investigate typical bugs. In addition to C++ debugging some other Linux tools that are commonly needed by developers will be demonstrated.

Porting games to Virtual Reality

Palmer Luckey

The team at Oculus has spent time helping a variety developers bring their existing content to virtual reality across multiple platforms. This talk will cover many of the best practices, technical hurdles that VR developers should be aware of, and some of the counter-intuitive approaches we've seen work.

Steamworks Features – A Technical Overview

Chris Boyd

This talk is designed for partners that are new to Steamworks features and those who would like to discover what new features are available. It will cover an overview of the full feature list, from Lobbies & Matchmaking to Steam Trading Cards and Micro-Transaction integration.

© Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. Steam and the Steam logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Valve Corporatoin in the US and other countries.
Mysticeti and Arutha_conDoin like this.
post #280 of 428 Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 905
My forties are gonna be so cool.
post #281 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

The following agenda for the Steam Developer Conference in January is very interesting. This looks like a powerhouse push into their new era. And I eagerly await the inevitable reports and leaks that will flow from the sessions. And watching how obvious competitors pro act in anticipation of Valve's bold move. My one early disappointment? The apparent fixation with "Mothman". Meaning "Opening up the Living Room". I continue to believe that this is nothing but delusional pipe dreaming. Especially for PC gaming. Especially since they are dedicating a lot of resources to VR. And that 100% is NOT about a living room. But opening up entirely new private worlds and spaces somewhere else!

Steam Dev Days Sessions
http://www.steamdevdays.com/?p=sessions

Steam Machines in 2014 – Opening up the Living Room

Greg Coomer, Anna Sweet

Valve and Steam Machine OEMs will jointly present on what to expect during 2014, including schedules and product release plans. We’ll discuss what we’ve learned so far from our public beta testing, including a rundown on how people are actually using Steam Machines. We’ll cover best practices in preparing your upcoming games for use in the living room. Also! Tweet questions and suggestions live to the on-stage team. After that Q&A the audience will vote on the best question and the winner will get a pretty sweet prize to take home.
What is strange is I saw no announcement that the beta tested had started. I figured there would be more visibility of the beta machines. Did anyone else see anything?

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #282 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Yeah it was like a week or two ago they showed the final design for the boxes themselves. when they opened up apps for the hardware beta they said there would only be 300 testers (at least to start). and it was announced today that that those 300 people would be notified and their prototypes will ship on Friday. It was also announced that SteamOS will be available to EVERYONE on Friday.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #283 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

Yeah it was like a week or two ago they showed the final design for the boxes themselves. when they opened up apps for the hardware beta they said there would only be 300 testers (at least to start). and it was announced today that that those 300 people would be notified and their prototypes will ship on Friday. It was also announced that SteamOS will be available to EVERYONE on Friday.
Well crap I did not get an email saying I was a beta tester... Something must be wrong! biggrin.gif

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #284 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nice, can't wait to try it out. Cause I was gonna say....it'll take an hour before someone rips the disk image and makes it available to everyone.

I'm not really that excited about steam machines anyway, they're just PCs. What I really want is that controller.
Kimeran likes this.

post #285 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I want the controller more than anything but I also really want to try out SteamOS. A friend of mine said he will put it on a USB for me so I can install it....my home internet is terrible.

So I will make a partition and report back to you guys about how I like it.

post #286 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know how good USB 3.0 will be for data transfering? I picked up a 2TB USB 3.0 Drive and I could partition a chunk on that and give it a whirl on my Laptop. I'm so out of room on my current drives that I think dual booting is not an option.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #287 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Anyone know how good USB 3.0 will be for data transfering? I picked up a 2TB USB 3.0 Drive and I could partition a chunk on that and give it a whirl on my Laptop. I'm so out of room on my current drives that I think dual booting is not an option.

I haven't used one personally, but theoretically the bus speed on USB 3.0 is way faster than any mechanical HDD, so it should feel just like an internal SATA drive.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #288 of 428 Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I'm sitting at a computer with two external USB 3 drives, so I did an experiment:

Copying a 3 gig folder from one USB3 drive to another averaged around 70 MB/second.

Copying the same folder to the HHD (from a USB 3 drive) averaged around 120 MB/second.

Copying the same from the HHD to a USB 3 drive averaged around 75 MB/second.

YMMV
post #289 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well this may be one of the more expensive Steam Machines so far by Digital Storm. At $1,469 I am curious what GPU is in it, but I like the fact it will dual boot Steam OS and Windows! At this price if this comes with a 780 I may have to go with one and use it for my new desktop biggrin.gif Though it is small enough to easily move to the Living room if I want to play there as well.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #290 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

At $1400? probably a 780. The boutique makers are way overly priced. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the base $1400 model is actually a 770.

Edit: Going with a similar PC from them, the Bolt (also a slimline design)

- Intel Core i5 3570K CPU
- 8GB 1600MHz Memory
- NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB
- 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM Storage HDD
- ASUS Z77 Motherboard
- 500W Digital Storm PSU
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- Microsoft Windows 8.1

And all that for $1600~

So the Steam Machine may only be a 760 (the Bolt with the 760 is $1200 so that makes sense)

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #291 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At $1400? probably a 780. The boutique makers are way overly priced. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the base $1400 model is actually a 770.
That is what I am thinking it will be. I am hoping instead of having to buy a steam machine New Egg will have parts to make our own.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #292 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is what I am thinking it will be. I am hoping instead of having to buy a steam machine New Egg will have parts to make our own.

ANY computer can be a Steam Machine, the only thing that makes it a Steam Machine is the SteamOS

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #293 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ANY computer can be a Steam Machine, the only thing that makes it a Steam Machine is the SteamOS
True, I keep forgetting that. Though I like the smaller form factors that he boutique places are going with and imagine they have those on New Egg as well. I'll have to research what I want to do when I go to build a new rig.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #294 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I just want to see someone put out a nice looking case like Valve's prototype. That's been the holy grail for me for a while now. Silverstone is working on one that's similar internally, but the outside is hideous.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #295 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Give it a few months and you will probably start to seel alot more HTPC cases for gaming.

If your pockets are deep you can always get a Steiger Dynamics case.

post #296 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Or deeper you could always look into 3d printing smile.gif
post #297 of 428 Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a link of compatible steam controller games as well as some screen shots of the Steam OS.
DaverJ likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #298 of 428 Old 12-14-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Speaking of controllers:

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/12/13/you-can-now-use-dualshock4-touchpad-on-pc

It's still pretty rough, but it works in a pinch. 

DaverJ likes this.

post #299 of 428 Old 12-14-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
So, anyone tinker with it yet this weekend?
post #300 of 428 Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine sent me this link. It seems one of his friends received a Steam Machine beta!
DaverJ likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page